Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,557 | Hads: 5,543
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours about as close to a black you can get. Topped by a frohy, tan head that likes to stick to the sides of the glass, but settles down in a few minutes.
Very well balanced smell for a stout. I can make out the roasty, toasty barley, the sweet malty backbone, as well as some bittering hops. Nice! Very nice!
Taste is big and bold. Starts a bit sweet. Like a morning coffee with lots of sugar. But then it gets more expresso-like. Dry, and slightly bitter. Great balance on this beer. This is 9.1% alcohol? no way! It's almost as drinkable as chocolate milk.
For this much taste, I'm amazed at the ralative thin mouthfeel. The big taste, combined with the easy-on-the-tongue mouthfeel makes this one scary-drinkable brew.
Oh, it's good. (741 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Having this from the cask last night convinced me to finally review it. I figure its about time.

The head was decent from the pour and quickly subsided into a thin brown cover that could be roused with a quick swirl of the glass. I think this is pretty impressive for a cask ale.

Nose not nearly as aggressive as the draught versions I 've had. The hops on the CO2 version seem to eb much sharper and more intense. Here they were more mellow and blended nicer with the dark roasty notes.

Very tasty as always. Rich chocolate and roasted notes predominate with a hefty dose of bittering hops to even things out. I think I still like Bell's Expedition better though.

The mouthfeel on this beer is what its all about. Incredibly smooth and creamy but not overly thick like Bell's. I'd say about as nice as the Rogue Imperial but with much nicer flavors.

A very drinkable brew. I had a big glass and a smal glass of it in just less than 30 minutes...closing time. I managed to make it out of there with a growler of hellerbock to boot! (1,050 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Okay, here goes my first review!

Had this brew on tap at Monk's in Philly. Being a local they serve this on tap for 2.50, a pitance when compared to the Belgium stuff they've got. And let me tell you, although its a completely different brew than say the Chimay White (I prefered SKS) I had just prior, this beer deserves to be poured with some of the best.

Great head and head retention for a stout. Sharp hoppy nose, like we have come to exspect from storm king. Apperance, black as a moonless night. I described the taste to another patron as imagining the deepest chocolate stout you've ever had and then adding a punchy hop finish to that. He tried one immediately, and I must say that, though my friend had been at Monk's for a few hours by that time, he was immediately impressed. I like this one better on tap than from the bottle though its a beer to get whenever you see it. The pinnacle of the Victory collection and a tribute to American Brewing. (964 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Nothing bad to say about this beer. The color is almost black, and the smell is great - is it coffee or chocolate? - can't be sure but it smells good. The taste is firm and varied, it seems to end with a chocolate taste, and for a beer with a 9.1%, it doesn't have a real hard alcohol taste. Very drinkable at 9.1 as well. This is my first Victory beer, and now I can't wait to get the rest. (395 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Sooo, last weekend I cracked open a cellared bottle and remembered just how great this beer was. Then, I'm in Fatheads and there it is on cask. Coincidence? Serendipity is more like it.

Dark black with two-fingers of dark brown head. Good head retention and lacing. Chocolate and toast aroma with subtle hoppiness. Perfectly balanced malt/bitter flavor with some mocha notes and slight fruitiness in background. Creamy mouthfeel with some small bite. Pleasant mild alcohol burn. Exceptionally drinkable. It was a shame I had to drive, otherwise I'd have had a couple more. Just a great beer. (592 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a beer!
Great looking and tasting dark beer.
A lot of Victory's are fantastic and there are, literally, 1000's upon 1000's of reviews on each one so my review and all others are sort of lost but I'd like my 2 cents on record for what I deem the best of the lot. Being from Philly, there are a lot of Victory's everywhere. The best place is the Victory Beer Garden down where the Spectrum used to be. It is an amazing place with what seem to be, dozens of the big "V", tap handles along an enormous bar.
I've had this beer there too.
It has a kick to it and has a large, magnificent coffe-ish colored head.
When I pour from the bottle I use a Duval Tulip glass and the head fills the upper end of the 22 oz glass. Quite impressive.
Heck...
I'm going out and get another one right now. (788 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

This is black as night -- so opaque that I can't even catch highlights on the edges. The head is somewhat thin, dark tan, with hints of ruby, and sticky with a mix of large and small bubbles. A giant roasted espresso-like aroma billows from my glass, but doesn't quite mask the generous, remarkably-fresh hop nose. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with a nice effervescence -- spectacularly creamy for a beer from a standard bottle. Initially, the taste feels surprisingly balanced toward a cistrusy hop bitterness, but this blends nicely into the malt creaminess. A pronounced dark-roasted malt bitterness then presents itself as a hop brightness shines through on the palate. It finishes not too dry in its this joined bitterness, trailing off with notes of espresso and very fresh citrusy hops.

I had this once before I started revewing beers and deliberately tasting. I didn't remember it being quite so exceptional. It's really amazing how such a bright, fresh hop quality is apparent throughout this big beer. The roast malts are very apparent, but blend well into the beer's gestalt and are not astringent or overly dry. To top it off, it's amazingly easy-drinking for such a huge and flavorful beer. (1,212 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Extremely dark brown colour, 1/2 inch thick head.

Smell: Aromas of coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. Rather sweet.

Taste: Sweet, coffee and roasted flavours. Has some decent bite from the alcohol but it all blends well together.

Mouthfeel: Thick, rich, velvety. Leaves a bit of a film in the mouth. Despite some bite it feels smooth to the tongue.

Drinkability: This is an enjoyable beer. I would recommend drinking from a snifter rather than a pint so as to accentuate the complexities of the taste and aromas. Truly a fantastic beer! (549 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Bottled November 4th, 2004. Aged and consumed today, five months later. Served cool from storage in my garage but not cold. Hops now take a backseat to the roasted malts. The beer is as black as I've seen them. Brown head began about half an inch and has dissipated quite a bit and it now clings to the side of my glass. Smells of licorice, tobacco, chocolate, and smoke. Taste is more of the same, but with a more noticeable dark chocolate presence. Age has not withered this strong stout. Mouthfeel is solid as a beer this size should be. Carbonation is adequate but not detracting from its drinkability. (606 characters)

On-Tap @ Victory.

Dark, opaque black with a nice head of dark espresso coloured foam. The aromas are of oily hops, Espresso, dark Belgian chocolate, brandy, vanilla, cabernet grapes, roasted malts, alcohol, and more. The taste follows suit. Dark roasted malts hit first, but the middle is roasty with some nice chocolate and coffee flavor notes as well. The finish is dry and oily with some leafy green hop flavors in the mix as well. The mouthfeel is a bit too carbonated for an imperial stout when this brew is served on tap, and as such the cask version of this brew is definately more 'easy-drinking'. Sure, there are definately better imperial stouts out there. But when it comes to price, freshness, and availability the "king" is still in my top five list. Long live the king. (786 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

A. black in color midnight black . nice light brown head fairly impressive head for a 9.1 ABV..
S, sweet , some hops , malt , coffee , bitter chocolate.
T. close to perfect. no idea why this beer is not rated higher as it is the perfect all American RIS. has everything I look for in a RIS and the best lacing I ever seen in a RIS . Victory gets an A+ on taste and face it , that is the main reson we drink the stuff :)
M. medium and sticky , oily and coats the mouth.
D. I keep this beer as well as old Rasputin in my rotation at all times.
if you see it , buy it drink it review it ... (590 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

2002 bottling on this sucker. This has been in the cellar since last winter, and tonight it joined it's former six-packmates by being consumed by me. Pours a thick black with a medium-sized brown head. Good lacing on the glass too. Smells of whiskey-soaked fruitcake, raisins, soy sauce, roasted mocha coffee, and alcohol. The taste is WOW. Rich, oaky, malty sweetness with plums, overripe bananas, chocolated, all tempered by a rush of bitter dark chocolate hops. Finish is roasty, bitter, with lingering sweetness and warming alcohol. Fantastic. Mouthfeel is big and syrupy. Victory can do no wrong (600 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

For this, my 250th review, I decided that I needed to drink one of the Storm Kings that has been patiently waiting in my cellar for a while now. I have a six-pack that is 17 months old and one that is 7 months old and I'll be reviewing one of the younger ones since the hops should be more aggressive. Victory hasn't let me down yet and I don't expect that they will this time either. Bottled on November 18 '03.

Darker than dark. Obsidian with a mere glimmer of dark brown at the bottom edge when held up to a bright sunlit window. The head is quite large and is one of the darkest that I've ever seen. It's milk chocolate brown and is stiff and thick, like a good ice cream-heavy milkshake. It falls at a glacial pace and is leaving beautiful, intricate patterns of lace on the glass. This is, without a doubt, the hoppiest smelling stout that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff. It has an absolutely great nose of roasted black malt and dark chocolate, laced liberally with citrus zest. I usually prefer my porters/stouts to be malty with just a kiss of hops, but SK may change my mind forever.

Oh my God! This stuff is amazing. The taste and near milk shake-like body are winning me over from the very first mouthful. The flavor is of melted Hershey's chocolate bars mixed with semisweet chocolate, espresso (easily overpowered by the chocolate, thank goodness) and a hint of anise. Maybe a little molasses, but it's not as prominent as in some other Imperial stouts. And let's not forget those glorious hops, bright and citrusy, putting this beer into a whole 'nother league. My preconceived notion about keeping the hops out of my 'dark' beers has been forever laid to rest. Once a hophead, always a hophead.

The body is incredible as well. I'm forever whining (about nearly every beer that I drink) that brewers don't give enough attention to the body/mouthfeel, that they don't make it full enough. No complaints here, Storm King has one of the biggest, thickest, creamiest bodies that I've ever experienced. Among porters/stouts, only Perkuno's Hammer, if my memory is to be trusted, has it beat. One minor problem--that could probably qualify as nitpicking--is that it feels ever so slightly chalky, which keeps it from achieving a true heavy cream silkiness.

Don't ask me why it took me more than 6 months to crack one of these open. Victory Storm King Stout is one of the biggest, baddest beers that I've ever had and is truly one of the very best. (2,473 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into 16 oz deep wine glass.

A: Very black even up to the light. Super frothy head with mixed bubbles that rose like a geyser with my rough pour. Settling, but sticking with crazy thick lacing.

S: Actually quite nice. Not over-powering. Basic stout smell, roasted malts and sweet to me. Nothing jumping out at me.

T: Wow. Very sweet and roasted. Chocolate. Malts. Taste is kinda how strong brew coffee smells. Not overpowering, but lasting. I can still taste my last sip (a few minutes ago) as I write this. Don't notice the alcohol all that much. As it warms I get more hoppy bitterness, again nothing too strong. Again warming and sensing some alcohol taste now, with some fruit at the very beginning.

M: Thick and creamy. All over the mouth and lasting. Smooth throughout with a chalky aftertaste in a good kinda way.

O: My new favorite of late, preferred over some other "highly rated" stouts. Will have more & often. Plus bonus 9.1% ABV and easy drinkability. This will be a fun winter. (1,022 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Presentation: Standard 12 oz brown non-twist off bottle. Small blurb about the beer, and a bottle date: Dec 16, 2004.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black. No light passes through this beer, not even at the edge of the glass. A large sumptuous tan head rests on top. Excellent retention, and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Very subtle aroma. Light chocolate sweet malt, with the acrid roast hiding in the background. Finishes with coffee, chocolate, vanilla and loads of alcohol.

Taste: Thick, rich, lightly sweet, malty, and roasty. This beer has some awesome balance. The body is full and chewy, the malt isn't cloyingly sweet, loads of hop flavor in the middle with gradually increasing smooth bitterness, the roasted malts aren't harsh, acrid, or drying, finishes with expresso, chocolate, and a hint of rum. Thick and full mouthfeel after the sip. At 9.1% ABV, I couldn't even tell.

Notes: Excellent balance, alcohol well hidden, very smooth, and dangerously drinkable. The light carbonation in this beer gives a kind of creaminess to it. This stout is awesome. Thanks to my sister for getting this for my birthday. One of the best presents I've gotten. (1,181 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Brought this monster back from my recent trip to Chicago. This is the last of the 3 or 4 that I brought, DAMN!! Comes in a pretty cool bottle with a best by date of March 9, 2012. Drank from my Dead Guy Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super deep dark black with almost blood red hues mixed throughout. Super creamy one finger head recedes fairly quickly leaving no cap but a nice thin collar. Leaves very little lacing that quickly follows the beer down the glass.
Smell- Dark roasted malts have a sweet burnt caramel like quality. Very gentle cocoa powder and espresso beans show through along with some alcohol. Not as big of a nose as I’ve smelled in other IRS’s but still nice. The only weakness (minor*) in this beer.
Taste- Dark roasted French roast coffee with an instant kick of bitter baker’s chocolate. Nice blasts of citrus that seems like it should be out of place but blends in perfectly. Hints of molasses and smoke show at times but for the most part this beer is dominated by the chocolate and fruit. Finishes with a bitter coffee aftertaste and amazingly at about 10% ABV, the alcohol shows almost zero.
Mouthfeel- Big, thick and creamy. Feels like this beer should feel like. Silky smooth with very little carbonation.
Drinkability- This beer is a couple chocolate chips away from being a brownie in a bottle. It’s so freaking good. Goes down so easy and smooth despite the big ABV. I really wish I had more access to this brew. When I eventually move back to Chicago this beer will have a permanent spot in my beer fridge and cellar. Great stuff! (1,574 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Sampled at The Ginger Man, NYC. Arrived to the bar with a deep dark tan head over black...I mean ink BLACK opaque liquid. Nose is overwhelming, with fresh hop, and roasted, damm near incinerated barley, espresso, coffee, & chocolate too. Just a bit smoother on tap than in the bottle it seems.Taste is roasty malt bitterness mixed with loads of leafy hop flavors, slight smokiness. Undertones of fruit appear also. The finish is long as hell, just slowly fading out into a hoppy roasted flavor. Very drinkable...almost dangerously so! (534 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

This one is from memory, but I've had enough Storm King that it should work out alright:

The labeling is cool, and it pours ridiculously dark and thick, with decent head that sticks around for a while. The smell is extremely rich and almost fruity, like a liqueur. It's hard to describe, but it almost smells smooth. The carbonation is at a great level, and so the mouthfeel is neither too fizzy nor too thick and syruppy--it tastes smooth too. It's not a chuggable session beer by any means, but it's not something that gets harsh or abrasive as the bottles pile up.

Taste-wise, it's almost hard to describe, because it's almost an elemental thing to me--it tastes like storm king. But since I have to try: it's very rich without too many burnt flavors, and sweet (cherries, maybe) without being at all cloying. it's very hoppy, but the bitterness dosn't push the other flavors to the side.

Basically, I'm just adding my voice to the chorus of Storm King supporters. As far as I'm concerned, this is Victory's best, and that's saying a good deal considering the beers they put out. It was one of the first things that got me into beer, and it's becoming a longterm favorite.

Side Note: I've had this on tap (at Victory's brewpub) and it tastes sweeter, syruppier, and generally less complicated. It's still delicious, but if you go to the brewery--and I recommend it to anyone that can manage the drive--I would recommend getting stuff that you can only get on tap. Especially Hopdevil or Uncle Teddy's from the handpumps. (1,535 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a very dark chocolaty brown with a frothy, but small, lighter brown head - Very pretty. Lacing lasts throughout, but head dissipates quickly.
Smell is superior for a stout. The best I've experienced. Floral hops are present - along with hints of espresso, chocolate, and strong coffee. Smell of alcohol is faint considering the ABV.
Taste is superior. Mouth feel smooth. Slight bitterness up front and finishes very clean. Taste is a mixture that starts like coffee but finishes sweet and hoppy.
Unbelievably delicious. These go down dangerously easy. (562 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.
A: Pours opaque black...almost no light comes through with backlighting. Faint hint of dark tan head quickly dissipates.
S: Roasted malt, citrus hops, chocolate, and a hint of pineapple.
T: Citrus hops first pop out. Then chocolate roasted malt comes through after a few sips. Can barely tell that there is any alcohol in here...dangerous. The balance between the fruity citrus hops with sharp, crisp bite and the smooth tones of the roasted chocolate malt is exquisite.
M: Very soft and smooth overall with some nice sharp bite from the hops.
D: The definition of drinkability...and you don't find that most of the time from a strong russian imperial stout. These typically are sippers...this one doesn't have to be. In a blind tasting, I would guess it had half the alcohol content that it does. The perfect balance of hops and malt and the contrasting and yet complementing flavors is truly special. (941 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

pours midnight black with a bubbly milk-chocolate colored creamy head. huge aroma of roasted malts, chocolate and ripe, dark fruit all punctuated with a green cascade hop aroma. mouthfeel is smooth as silk, with a low carbonation perfect for the style. flavors of roasted malts and chocolate covered cherries. smooth cocoa character in the middle. assertive hops come in the finish to leave a wonderful aftertaste that lingers and lingers. the hops set this beer apart from its contemporaries. it is hard to believe this brew is 9% ABV b/c it is impossible to detect. one of the best and certainly the most innovative imperial stouts i have ever had the pleasure to drink. head and shoulders above the pack. (707 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle "enjoy by sept 2012" into a working glass.

A- It's just black, no seeing through it, black. Gorgeous, huge creamy tan-chocolate head. No lace work, sadly.

S- Very rich, lots of cocoa, dark chocolate notes at the forefront with generous helpings of sweet coffee, dark berries. Hops are minimal and might have mellowed since fresh.

T- Sweet and smooth up front quickly grows into a heavy dose of roast darkness - bitter cocoa and chocolate covered coffee beans, espresso along with the right amount of acrid bitterness. Grapefruit hops come with plenty of flavor and a well balanced bitterness. Alcohol is muted for the ABV, but present. Finishes dry with a lot of lingering bitter roast character. All the elements of a great RIS are here and balanced to make a very drinkable stout.

M- Full, but could still be a bit heavier for my likings. Low carbonation.

D- A great sipping stout, never overpowering, but with all the great, rich and heavy elements I was looking for. I think this would be great with any amount of aging. It's great right now, and I imagine it had a stronger hops presence a few months ago. I'm looking forward to trying this for years to come. (1,183 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

I love beer. Sometimes, I come home from work and try a mediocre beer and enjoy it even though it might not really impress me that much. Other times I will drink something that I am very accustomed to. I still enjoy it, but since I drink it so often, I might not appreciate it as much as I should. Times like this, I feel the need to profess my love again, sort of like a renewal of vows.

It poured a DARK brown, almost pitch black, but still had a brown hue. Natural wool colored head (Doesn't that sound delicious?). The head didn't stick around too long and there was only light lacing. The smell was faint, a hint of alcohol and chocolate. But then. . . The taste.

I love stouts. The more chocolaty and coffeeish, the better. I have never had one like this though. It's like a nice mellow coffee, licorice tasting imperial stout (with a bit of alcohol taste) was minding it's own business, walking down the street when, WHAM, it was hit by an 18 wheeled hop truck. When the smoke and carnage clears, the storm king stout is in its place.

The finish was a mixture of the stout and hoppy tastes. A testament to the balance of this beer. I think a case is in order. (1,176 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a fresh growler brought home from Victory yesterday. The five finger head mellowed nicely to a thick, creamy, brown one finger head. Typical stout carbination, just enough to play with your mouth and make things interesting. I can smell some grape, caramel/molasses. Nice coffee flavoring, toffee/molasses, there is a light licorice flavoring. Dry finish with the grapefruit rind flavor. Smooth and creamy, slightly chewy. Nice drinking beer, not too heavy. (469 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +16%

I tried this great beer at the Victory Brewery facility, which is another rating in itself. (great place). This stuff came to me in a pint glass with a small head, which was leather brown in color. I held it up to the light and saw it was black as coal. Great smell-like malty, with a chocolate, coffee aroma. Needless to say, the alcohol was quite evident. That being said, it was time to taste. Great malt, chocolate, and alcohol hit right away-with the hops kicking in after a couple minutes. This stuff felt great, almost like a meal in itself. Fabulous stuff. I had the waiter set a case out for me when I left. Can't get enough Victory brews. (648 characters)

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company