Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,577 | Hads: 5,612
4.18/5  rDev +2%

Bottled 9/9/02

Appearance: Jet black; no light escapes. Thin, wispy chocolate haed.

Aroma: Sweet licorice, coffee, and chocolate. Hops make a nice, noticable appearance.

Taste: Rich roasted malt, some alcohol heat, and hops balance perfectly. Slightly sweet and smoky finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating and thick, but not syrupy by any means. Long, slightly hoppy and smoky finish. Very nice.

Drinkability: A fabulous beer! Great balance of all the components. Another Victory stunner!!!

2003 bottling

Appearance: Pitch black with a thin, clingy light brown head.

Aroma: Chocloate malt and alcohol sweetness most noticable. Slight hop spice makes an appearance.

Taste: Loads of coffee and chocolate, wit a dry, hoppy, slightly bitter finish. Long lingering finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Rich and coating across the palate. Wonderful balance of all components. Alcohol is noticable.

Drinkability: A stellar stout! Not as much hop balance as the 2002, but very close. I will hunt for this brew every year.

Thanks to OldFrothingSloth for the bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

This brew was solid black in color with a huge frothy head that blew up on the pour. The head settled down a little but not much lasting through the whole session. Lacing almost completely caked the sides of my glass.
The aroma wasn't real strong but had many distinct characteristics. It seemed to have a sweet tobacco smell to it which I thought was odd. However mixed in with hints of chocolate, raisins, and sweet malt it was pleasant. Alcohol spices were barely noticeable along with a certain bitterness.
The taste was great, sweeter than I thought it would be, but still very good. Up front comes sweet and roasted malt flavors. In the middle starts what would be an overpowering hop kick if it wasn't for the sweet malt to balance it out. A bittery aftertaste with a little bit of alcohol on the back end. Very tasty.
Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and goes down very easily. This beer didn't have much time to warm up because it didn't last long.
It would be great to be able to get a hold of this on a regular basis.
Big Thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this my way.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was an expresso stout all the way. I see some people paying $10 . That could not be for a bottle! I paid $2.25. Good choice for the end of a session or meal because of the aftertaste. Unless you do not like coffee.

Had a second bottle, two years later and aged for that time. The carbonation eased off and it was rich smooth flavour. An excellent representative of its style.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

So is this the 2nd best beer...

Aroma of chocolate, roast and fruit, especially mix of the latter two.
Pours somewhat slowly. Dark brownish to black head that's 1/2 inch thick. Bottle conditioned (the the floating yeast in glass and bottom of bottle). Black as night. Heavy lacing.
Rich and smooth. Chocolate and roast. I really like the initial taste on the tip of the tongue, as it passes throught the rest of the muscle the malty dryness and bitterness present without losing the smooth feel. Extended roast at finish. Maybe this is an oxymoron, but mildly coy. Not excessive in sweetness/richness yet both notable. Only disstaste was a slight unpleasant bitterness with the roast finish. Otherwise sublime.
Feel is velvet.
A beautiful beer.

...I can't answer where it should fit (2nd, 20th etc.), but it certainly belongs on the list of the best.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Black as night. Small frothy milkshake like head.

Smell: Hops, pine. Medicinal character. Raisins.

Taste: Raisins, bitter chocolate. Strong burnt cedary hop character for a stout. More acidic than would be expected.

Mouthfeel: Beautifully soft creamy mouthfeel. Thinner than appearance suggests.

Drinkability: Alcohol is masked well. Too easy to drink.

2.31/5  rDev -43.7%

Victory- storm king stout

9.5% alc?! Isn't that a little high?!

Appearance- blacker than black. Midnight in a coal mine black. Hell, the head is darker than most beers alone.
Smell- roasted coffee, nuts, cocoa, and ash.
Taste- Ashy, coffee, sweet burnt wood. Alcohol is too strong.
Mouthfeel- damn that high alcohol what is this cough syrup?!

Overall- blahhh! Its too sweet and alcohol is too strong. A mediocre, at best, stout. I'll pour the rest down the drain!

***revisited*** 4/15/07

HAHA what 3 years will do! Clearly when I was a FNG my tastebuds weren't developed yet. My opinion has since changed immensely. Storm King is now 1 of my favorite Imperial Stouts!!

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

This stout pours deep, dark black with a large brown head. It smells of espresso and chocolate malts. This looks and smells a lot like an espresso. The taste is similar to the smell and quite strong. There is a bitterness immediately in the mouth but this balanced with a sweet taste in the finish. The taste definitely improved as the brew warmed up.

This is a thick, smooth drinking admirable stout.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: a pure black pour with a nice looking, dark tan head..

Smell: the nose just oozes of cocoa and espresso bean. dark unsweetened chocolate is underneath it all, just waiting to pop out.

Taste: i found the taste to be somewhat toned down from what the nose had prepared me for. still, a nice cocoa flavor with light hints of espresso bean and mild chocolate. very smooth body that ends nicely chalky and heads towards a bitter and dry finish. Was that orange in the mix too?! Hmmm, seemed like it to me.

Mouthfeel: very very creamy and rich...but not full or heavy. very nice staying power with flavors lingering nice and long.

Drinkability: a top notch stout. greay nightcap or dessert beer....or hell, whenever. right now i'm enjoying it on a cold winter day. This is a classic.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A deep black body with a thick mocha head, almost like coffee. The smell is of chocolate malts with hints of espresso and well balanced hops. Hops are more noticable in this brew than in most stouts. A little something different that Victory likes to do. The alcohol is well hidden within this brew. A very smooth-thick body packed with taste. The chocolate/coffee flavor is quite distinguishable. This is a very rich beer that only gets better as it warms. The blend of grains and hops is outstanding in this beer and you wouldn't think it's 9% abv. Victory came through again.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I will add my voice to the vast army of Storm King afficiandos, in the hopes that some day this fine brew will be available on tap at one of America's favorite Generic Family Resturants.

The brew pours a deep black with a mocha colored head that stuck around for a while. Holding it to one's nose and giving it a swirl brings a mixture of scents to the nose, including perhaps a little coffee.

Storm King is very smooth, with a strong presence in one's mouth, bringing some hops, some fruit and maybe some coffee to the taste buds. It is hard to describe what exactly one is tasting here, but to be sure it is good. Just a really nice beer that is fine company on a sunday afternoon. My most purchased beer of late, having gone through 3 six packs in as many weeks.

4.31/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Wonderful tan head with a jet black body. The head just floated there and took quite some time to dissipate, leaving a nice lace behind.

Smell: Interesting aroma. Smells of chocolate malt and hops.

Taste: Coffee and rich chocolate with a nice bitter finish. The hops that were present in the smell do not show up in the flavor. The alcohol is noticeable but rather subtle considering the high ABV.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. There is a slight tingle on the tongue from the alcohol.

Drinkability: I savored it for about an hour, but I could have downed it much faster and had another right after.

This beer is very similar to Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout and has become one of my new favorite stouts. I'll be coming back.

The black of well fired malt, topped by a muddy head that recedes quickly. A smell of grapes and malt at a level that teases, but does not overpower. A good strong taste that can win you over to this style. It is heavy on maltiness, but includes the same taste of grapes. There are hints of wine, and the hops provides a nice finish. The taste has some nice changes as the beer warms. This stout is smooth and well bodied in your mouth. There is little carbonation so it goes down smooth. This is beer that will make a nice change of pace, or when a strong beer is desired.

I'm glad I received six of these for Christmas. This is a style and beer that I would have taken longer to try. My preference is, and will remain, lighter golden and wheat beers. However this has opened a new area to me. I had tried other stouts and was not as favorably impressed. I now know that a well brewed stout can provide a good alternative experience. I will probably have more of this fine beer in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Wonderful beer. I am glad I finally tried it. i am KICKING MYSELF IN THE *** that I passed up the oppurtunity to have it on cask at KCLingers. Mmmm. Cask. Anyways, the beer is deserving of its stature, and my opinions of it are as follows. Storm King pours a black brown body topped with a head of tawny brune, inch thick that settles within a few minutes to a thin lace. The King, he smells like a beast. Heavy bitterness ensues, the hops gnash their bite at you, the thick sweetymalt longs to run and settle. The taste of this beer is something special. My initial notes read 'Stout on Drugs. Doesn't give a second. Heaves flavor full-bore- hops, malts, unspeakable smoothness'. That's what I felt at that point. Now, I just long to to taste it once more. It's full, but not heavy. It's complex and myriad. If a person was blessed enough to drink one every day, they still couldn't explain it in a year. It's something to be had, and admired, and never taken in the wrong way. It is so wonderful, I adivse not buying a lage quantity to age. They'll never make it.

Update-- I went back and tried this on cask at KClinger's. Even smoother, with more pronounced malt sweetness. Good for them for putting another out there. Absolutely divine.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

The first thing that hit me when I opened the bottle was that the hop nose wasn't masked by the malt character of the stout. It pours a nice black color with a tan/coppery head that doesn't linger. The roasted malt taste is prevalent with a bit of hoppiness peaking through.

This is a very smooth beer with the malt balancing the bitterness nicely. The alcohol is masked well, but you can feel it after two.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Darkest brown head that I think I have ever seen rides on top of a pitch black body. Frothy engine oil maybe. This beer is great, with a big espresso-like character and beautiful mouthfeel. The large hop flavor meshes pretty darn well with the deep, dark malts. The only real fault I find with this beer is a certain lack of depth in the flavor. What is in the flavor from the start lasts a long time, but it doesn't really evolve much, which is something I look for in a complex brew. I would like to taste this same beer with a different yeast that might lend it a more complex and evolving character. That being said, it is a damn fine brew (and a rediculous steal at its price!)

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

Bottled Dec. 17, 2002. Poured out black with some dark chestnut colors just escaping the edges. No head developed to speak of.
Lots of smells. Coffee, chocolate, dark roast malt and hints of molasses and licorice.
Complex tastes of sweet heavily roasted malt, dark coffee, chocolate covered cherries and a hint of licorice. There was a nice subtle smoky element and a spicy/tangy hop bitterness that balanced it out. Well hidden alcohol. Great job!
Medium bodied. Rich and creamy but lacking the viscous feel of some Imperials. Excellent drinkability.

This beer is amazing!

After taking one sip I knew I was in for a treat. It pours very dark with a nice thick brown head leaving great lace on the glass as you drink it.

The taste explodes in your mouth and never seems to stop. Chocolatey/Coffee notes on the palate, and a generous hopping add to a very complex mouthfeel. Even as the beer goes down your throat, with it's warming feel, the aftertaste keeps kicking with hops.

The complexity of this beer is amazing, and it's incredible drinkability makes it a little dangerous (quite the potent alcohol kick!)...as I can see myself drinking a lot of it!!

This beer is definitely my favourite Winter beer so far.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Finally got to try this much talked about stout, bottled Nov. 03
and I will say this is pretty close to a masterpiece from the
Victory brewers. I've started trying these stouts when I can find them and thanks to beer advocate.com I have a true source and
so many opinions to go by.
I love the Magic Hat stouts and porters(they never fail to surprise
me with their secret ingredients, not massed produced) at times they've been a bit on
the watery side but always delicious, now I've come across STORM
KING and it is a gem of a beer. It has a nice bite to it but is so
smooth, I could easily drink a few of these, but they have a kick!!
What a beautiful dark tan creamy head(reminds me of a root beer
head) slowly fades away with a nice lace around the glass. This is a dark knight who meets the chocolate/coffee expresso crowd late night and happens to bring along some dark roasted malt fruit friends. The tastes all get along just fine, Wow
what a find. It ranks right up there with the best but you have
to try all these stouts to truly appreciate the difference in the quality. Can't WAIT to sample this at the beer extreme fest!!!!JAN 17,03'

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

Poors as black as a moonless night with a really nice caramel fluffy head after an aggressive poor. Really nice smell of hops, coffe and chocolate. The taste of this beer makes me say wow every time I have one. Really incredible bittersweet chocolate, espresso and an hint of liquorice all surrounded by some major oily and resinous hops. This beer has incredible depth and mouthfeel to it and more flavors show up as the glass warms. Definately a classic in it's style.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a complex stout! Pours out to a beautiful black with a taste of coffee, malt, hops and Al K. Hall on finish. A very good stout. The alcohol at 9.1% is hidden very well in the beer. Excellent. Thanks to pbrian for sending this my way!

Update: 1/5/04 - Excellent. Plain and simple, excellence. So tasty it begs you for another sip. A world-class beer. I look forward to the day this is distributed to Michigan.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

This Imperial poured an opaque black and had virtually no head but moderate lacing. Lots of sediment floating around in the mixture. The aroma was slight and had to discern any real flavors. The taste was extremely smooth and balanced. Unlike most imperials no strong flavors really came out, this one was definitely lighter in body and mouthfeel. The dominant malt flavor was espresso but it wasn't sweet at all. This beer was also hoppier than what I'd imagined it would be. The finish provides and acidic bitterness that lingered for a long time. Defnitely a well crafted beer but not on the top of my list for Imp. Stouts.

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer is excellent.

It pours an opaque black, and offers up a very thin tan head as I pour it down the side of my pint glass. The head doesn't linger long. The aroma is malty and roasty, with only a slight hint of alcohol.

The flavor is all that one could want from an imperial stout. I would serve this beer to an emperor. A full mouth-feel, with chocolate, roastiness, maltiness, and a subtle but firm bitterness from the hops, this beer pleases on many levels. Very satisfying.

I think I'll have another.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black as a moonless night, the storm king rears up its head into a turbulent froth and slowly settles to a tan whisper. I’m intrigued.

Pungent earth tones and chocolate notes swim up and fill my head as I inhale the roasted barley and sweet smokiness. I smell the damp, Northeast woods and faint mist of the forest.

I pour the dark elixir into my mouth. It is smooth with deep roasted low notes. I am satisfied. As it cascades into me I’m left with a sweet bitter honey afterthought that lingers and slowly dissipates as I reach for another sip of this delicious stout.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing stout. I love the blackness and the overall intimidation this beer brings. The nose is quite nice. It has a sweet and powerful smell to it. The head is tan and lasts for the entire pint. The beer is great by smell and appearance alone. The taste is phenomenal. The Victory crew does a great job of masking the alcohol. There are a lot of roasty, chocolatey flavors that are prevelant at the front of this beer. The hops are definitely American and make this stout a nice treat. The malt is great in that it doesn't ever give up. The body holds for the entire beer. Drinkability is great being that the flavors are so good and the alcohol is masked. Definitely deserves to be in the top 50. Cheers.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Sweet Victory. This is one I can't resist. This is top shelf. If you have a macro-drinking friend, give them this. If they can't recognize its greatness, give up. They don't get it.

Smells sweet, malt, chocolate, coffee, fruit.

Pours slick from bottle, black color, frothy inviting tan head.

Tastes like a stout should. Complex full-bodied with hints of citric, robust malt. Damn good.

ABV is barely believable, this beer is so drinkable. But after about two, you'll have no trouble believing the ABV.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company