Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

It was an expresso stout all the way. I see some people paying $10 . That could not be for a bottle! I paid $2.25. Good choice for the end of a session or meal because of the aftertaste. Unless you do not like coffee.

Had a second bottle, two years later and aged for that time. The carbonation eased off and it was rich smooth flavour. An excellent representative of its style.

01-25-2004 02:15:50 | More by Sammy
t0rin0

03-06-2013 01:46:14 | More by t0rin0
UCLABrewN84

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a thick, pitch black with a HUGE 3 inch chocolate milk colored head. Dense head that lingers for the duration of the beer. Sticky ring lacing on the way down. Absolutely beautiful. Smell is of dark fruits, sweetened coffee, and cocoa powder. Taste is of burnt espresso/coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and slightly sweet cherry/plum. A lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue after each sip that stays with you for a while. Carbonation is good and does not take away from the thick, creamy feel of this beer. Overall, this is an absolutely delicious RIS that I will be revisiting again. I am glad this comes in 12 oz. bottles as the 9.1% ABV can sneak up on you.

02-25-2011 03:17:26 | More by UCLABrewN84
djrn2

11-14-2011 21:50:46 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter. Enjoy by date of 10.16.2013, which I believe means that it was bottled on 10.16.2008.

A: Pours very dark, although not overly thick for this style. The color is near black, and the head is quite large and caramel-colored. Almost opaque on the pour; opaque in the glass.

S: Not terribly strong smelling. Hints of cocoa. A little bit of hops. Dark malt. On further sniffing, actually quite hoppy for the style.

T: Hints of black licorice. Quite a bit of hops for the style. Some malt, and actually quite spicy.

M: Very thin in the mouth. Slightly spicy with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel reminds me more of an IPA than a RIS.

D: Drinkable. This seems more like a summertime beer, as opposed to most RIS's, which I could not envision drinking on a hot day while outdoors. Each sip does not leave me craving another, although this is decent, but I think quite a bit overrated, unless I have a bad bottle. I've got another in the cellar, I'll have to see if it's any different later on.

03-20-2009 02:50:18 | More by Thorpe429
nmann08

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

11-25-2011 17:25:03 | More by nmann08
metter98

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A: It poured jet black into a snifter glass with a mocha-colored head. The head slowly settled down, but a thin layer of bubbles consistently covered the surface.
S: There are complex aromas of dark roasted malts in the nose along with notes of chocolate, espresso and floral hops.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and has lots of flavors of dark roasted malts. There's a substantial amount of hop bitterness for this style, which makes its presence in the finish.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied on the palate and there is some warming from the alcohol.
D: This beer does a very good job at hiding the alcohol from the smell and taste. The complex aroma and flavors make this a beer that I will definitely have again.

05-29-2010 23:43:40 | More by metter98
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

For this, my 250th review, I decided that I needed to drink one of the Storm Kings that has been patiently waiting in my cellar for a while now. I have a six-pack that is 17 months old and one that is 7 months old and I'll be reviewing one of the younger ones since the hops should be more aggressive. Victory hasn't let me down yet and I don't expect that they will this time either. Bottled on November 18 '03.

Darker than dark. Obsidian with a mere glimmer of dark brown at the bottom edge when held up to a bright sunlit window. The head is quite large and is one of the darkest that I've ever seen. It's milk chocolate brown and is stiff and thick, like a good ice cream-heavy milkshake. It falls at a glacial pace and is leaving beautiful, intricate patterns of lace on the glass. This is, without a doubt, the hoppiest smelling stout that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff. It has an absolutely great nose of roasted black malt and dark chocolate, laced liberally with citrus zest. I usually prefer my porters/stouts to be malty with just a kiss of hops, but SK may change my mind forever.

Oh my God! This stuff is amazing. The taste and near milk shake-like body are winning me over from the very first mouthful. The flavor is of melted Hershey's chocolate bars mixed with semisweet chocolate, espresso (easily overpowered by the chocolate, thank goodness) and a hint of anise. Maybe a little molasses, but it's not as prominent as in some other Imperial stouts. And let's not forget those glorious hops, bright and citrusy, putting this beer into a whole 'nother league. My preconceived notion about keeping the hops out of my 'dark' beers has been forever laid to rest. Once a hophead, always a hophead.

The body is incredible as well. I'm forever whining (about nearly every beer that I drink) that brewers don't give enough attention to the body/mouthfeel, that they don't make it full enough. No complaints here, Storm King has one of the biggest, thickest, creamiest bodies that I've ever experienced. Among porters/stouts, only Perkuno's Hammer, if my memory is to be trusted, has it beat. One minor problem--that could probably qualify as nitpicking--is that it feels ever so slightly chalky, which keeps it from achieving a true heavy cream silkiness.

Don't ask me why it took me more than 6 months to crack one of these open. Victory Storm King Stout is one of the biggest, baddest beers that I've ever had and is truly one of the very best.

06-23-2004 17:46:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
brentk56

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Muddy brown body with a tan head and a blanket of lacing

Smell: Both the roasted malt and fruity hops are present on the nose

Taste: Rich and malty dark chocolate flavor with the fruity hops making an early appearance and building through to the finish

Mouthfeel: Heavy bodied with plenty of alcohol

Drinkability: Massively complex and very well-balanced

12-08-2005 03:34:18 | More by brentk56
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured thick black with no light going through. Small tan head that lingered throughout. Smell was roasted caramel and a slight coffee hint to it. The taste followed suit. Nice Roasted coffee like taste, very full bodied and thick, almost a meal. Perfect for desert. Slight hoppy finish with a bite! Excellent stout, yummy and full of flavor. Will definatly turn to this again!

01-11-2007 01:37:45 | More by mikesgroove
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Has all of the ingredients for the perfect Stout. An Ideal color with a viscous texture and strong head retention. Ideal blend of espresso and bittersweet chocolate and a lightly powdery roasted grain quality. Enough in the nose and flaovr to demand respect. Enough heat to recognize it's potency. Still, no off balanced characters at all. No fusal alcohols, dominating hops, astingency, harshness, or accessive acidity. It grabs the throat a bit on the way down, but to be expected. Very clean for style. Difficult to criticise.

03-01-2006 16:30:52 | More by BEERchitect
acurtis

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

03-03-2012 20:28:00 | More by acurtis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Bottle - Poured a dark black brew with a huge foamy dark head. Aroma of roastiness and coffee are very present. Strong body with subtle taste of alcohol. Very complex, taste of coffee, caramel and chocolate are mix very well. One of the best Imperial Stout I had the chance of drinking.

02-02-2004 18:17:55 | More by Phyl21ca
womencantsail

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: The pour is just a deep, viscous, black liquid with a small mocha colored head.

S: The smell is hoppy, a good amount of earthy and citrus hops. There is also a fair amount of booze that comes though. There is also some nice chocolate and roasted malt.

T: The taste offers some nice roasted malt flavor, and some hops. The finish is very bitter and leaves a sort of unpleasant lingering bitterness on the tongue.

M: The feel is a little lighter than other RISes that I've had, but still good. Low carbonation and a medium to full body.

D: The beer is easy to drink, even for 9.1%. But, the unpleasant bitterness that sticks around after the sip is not welcomed.

I had high hopes for this beer, but was not impressed. It might just be a bad batch/bottle, but I don't know if I'll have this one again.

12-05-2009 08:30:17 | More by womencantsail

01-10-2013 02:46:58 | More by spycow
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Inky black perfection. Average head forms, even when poured rather roughly (upwards of 18 in. above the glass) which quickly dissipates, though it's understandable given the style and ABV.

Smell: Predominately dark roasted malts smelling of fine dark chocolate. Hops are... floral, coupled with an aroma of roasted almonds and with a stark alcohol fragrance lingering behind.

Taste: A brash beverage, very asserting in all its flavors: dark chocolate, coffee, floral hops. Some molasses and tobacco (although, I think I'm going to be the only one proclaiming "tobacco!" on this one). This is not a stout that relies on a charming sweetness, instead opting for more "floral" components with a playful combination of mint, licorice, and I still contest there's tobacco in there! Why won't anyone listen to me?!

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly full, without ever being painfully thick or obnoxiously syrupy. Carbonation is spot on for my tastes. The alcohol is not overly assertive, but instead is rather relaxing. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they've just come out of a two-hour college lecture after drinking one of these? Yawn!

Drinkability: The Storm King is a lot like life. One minute it's there, and the nex

Huh.

Well, in trying to fully and completely analyze it, I seem to have exhausted my modest supply of 12 fluid ounces. Drinkability seemed good; I've had other heavier, denser stouts that I've easily gulped down without a second thought.

*Thanks to AndoBrew, my friend, for generously sharing this one with me.*

11-27-2005 03:09:29 | More by ChainGangGuy

3.5/5  rDev -14%

02-11-2013 02:28:51 | More by GRG1313
kylehay2004

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A: two finger tan head on a jet black body with nice lacing. No bubbles that I can see.

S: this one has a bourbon note by my nose though it isnt aged. Vanilla, roasted malts, chocolates and a peppery note round this one out.

T: whiskey/bourbon again in the flavor up front with a full roasted malt with actually some jhops coming through. A light coffee note provides some bitterness.

M: full body and moderate carbonation. smooth and a little oily.

Overall: very drinkable for what it is with hints of bourbon/whiskey coming through on this one which I wasnt expecting.

04-15-2012 21:23:48 | More by kylehay2004
Knapp85

This brew poured out as a nice deep black color with a brown colored head. It doesn;t look as thick as some RIS' I've had in the past. The head leaves a decent lacing on the glass and keeps a good retention too. The smell of the beer is deeply roasted and burnt smelling with a light sweetness on malt coming through. The taste of the beer is a rich with chocolaty malts and roasted grains. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I was hoping for but still had enough body to keep in within reason. Overall I felt this was a really good beer for the price.

09-26-2011 23:30:32 | More by Knapp85
oberon

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

What a great find to see this on tap at the Spring House Drafting Room,pours a deep black with a light moch head that leaves some small traces of lace.Aroma is alcoholic and chocolaty with some burned fruit aromas,taste is of roasted malt and alcohol with some dark chocolate hints and even a little tar-like flavor as well.A real complex beer and way to easy to drink for the style I can see why the high marks are given.

11-30-2003 17:03:24 | More by oberon