Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,588 | Hads: 5,661
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Aroma:  Roasted malt, sweet cherries, some hop spiciness and a hint of alcohol.

Appearance:  Opaque black color.  Half a finger of head with,initial lacing.

Flavor:  Aggressive malt sweetness and spicy hop bitterness.  This is clearly an american imperial stout.  No cloying sweetness.  Pleasant alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel:   Medium to full body.  Medium carbonation.

Overall:  Victory has created a aggressive toasty, sweet, bitter imperil stout.  This Beer drinks like an IPA with all the roasty malt sweetness.  Surprisingly it finishes dry with some lingering bitterness.  I highly recommend this winter warmer.  It's hard to find a 9 percent ABV beer in six pack packaging for such a reasonable price.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a snifter

A - Black in color and barely had a dark khaki head even with an aggressive pour. Spotty lacing.

S - Smells sweeter than I was expecting. Malts, coffee, and toffee.

T - Taste is on the roasted end for imperial stouts. Malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. Upon first sip to after taste it changes quite a bit with flavor. Starts off malty and roasty and ends up being more coffee and bitter at the end.

M - Medium body, slightly bitter, sweet, and well balanced.

O - It was alright, but am glad I had it. I was expecting it to be really sweet from the smell but the taste is quite a contrast. As far as a RIS that is more affordable this was good, and I think I'd rate it above Old Rasputin for personal preference. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but if it was on tap somewhere I'd go for it.

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Frothy head, black as hell, really nice lacing.
S: Sweet creamy, with little bits of roasty qualities
T: Good, a I personally think it is a little over hopped for a stout. Stouts already have a bitter of a bitterness to them from the roasted malt, and these 2 aspects sort of multiple and make the beer a little too hoppy. Sort of throws the beer out of sink because it is very creamy and rich, and not "spritey" like an IPA. Otherwise, there is a bit of sweetness and creaminess that is quite nice in this beer.
F: Smooth, creamy. Only complaint is the beer is really astrigent, which isn't as nice with a heavy beer like this.
O: Good beer, definately will drink again but its definately a sipper, not something I can toss back like water (like most beers). Heavy and astringent, though there is nice flavor here.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Enjoy by: 26 MAR 2020

L: Dark. Almost pitch black if it weren't for a slight red hue. Can't see through this beer at all. Poured around a 1 finger coffee and cream head which quickly dissipated.

S: Rich dark malt profile. Coffee, a little chocolate, and some toffee. This smells divine.

T: Dark roasted malts. Strong coffee flavor gives way to some malty sweetness and ends with some hoppy bitterness.

F: Smooth to drink. A little lighter on the mouth feel than I was expecting. Prepared myself for it to be a little more chewy. Coffee and bitterness linger around after a moderately dry finish. Very little to no alcohol burn for an Imperial Stout clocking in at 9.1% ABV.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much. I will be purchasing more to share, cellar, and enjoy immediately. If you like stouts, be sure to try this one out.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A very impressive pour. Crystal clear black with a cocoa brown head.. "How much more black can it be? None, none more black" Nigel Tufnel.

Arma af straight black coffee; rich bitter and roasted. Like sticking your nose in a bag a black patent malt. Just take a big sniff between sips.

Taste of cocoa powder bitterness on the tongue. Coffee and cocoa wiht strong bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel is a chalk like dryness, like biting a pecan shell

Very drinkable and never gets to harsh. Great representation of the style.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours black with a thick mocha head that slowly reduces to a collar and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

The nose is sweet and roasty, with chocolate and coffee fighting a strong herbaceous and floral hoppiness for dominance. A bit of alcohol just barely comes through.

Rich dark roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate are right upfront, with flavors of molasses, walnut, and oak soon following. The dry finish leaves woody/herbal hop bitterness lingering for quite a while.

It falls somewhere between medium and full bodied and is not very highly carbonated, which makes for a smooth and creamy mouthfeel

I wouldn't drink a six-pack in an evening, but the smooth mouthfeel does make this strong and flavorful beer easy to drink. This is one that I have had many times, and never have I had such a fresh bottle. Don't get me wrong, I love hops - but it is even more drinkable when the hops have mellowed a bit.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

From bottle into pint glass, at a bar.

Pours out dark, smells promising.Nice chocolate head, good carbonation, swirls around and settles. I'd been looking forward to trying it. Has nice espresso taste. Hoppy, too hoppy for me.Seems to have a thinner mouthfeel than what I expected. Glad to buy the bottle before I bought the case.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

This was a little hoppier than I expected. The overall impression was good. There was a nice chocolate and coffee balance and the appearance in the glass was as expected. Overall a very good beer but it didn't blow me away. I'd like to do a side by side comparison with a few other stouts to see how this one measures up to some more of my favorites.

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A very well balanced RIS. I think the hop additions makes a nice balance with the extreme malt and the alcohol bite which can be tasted up front.

It's a black as the ace of spades with a nice brown head that hold strong for a while and laces nicely as you drink it down.

Smells of coffee, chocolate and the 9% ABV it contains.

Has a nice balance of malt and some hops to keep her honest. Toffee and chocolate and coffee in the mouth and a finish that stays put for a while.

Is a full body, almost alcohol and waxy on the tounge but in a good way.

I think it is a great example of a Russian Imperial Stout. Not as tasty as some others but considering the 9abv its an easy drinking bigger stout. Will try again and again.. and probably again :)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: This RIS pours black like an RIS should. The head is a creamy tan but not much head retention.
S: vanilla coffee malts with a bitter hoppey smell.
T: The taste on this beer is quite good for an all the year round RIS. I was pleased. It is not on par with the brewery release RIS like Darkness but as I said before as a RIS I can get all year round when I have a craving it is really nice. The flavour has that rich coffee maltiness that I love and it is has not too harsh of a bitterness from all of the hops.
M: The mouthfeel is average in my opinion. It was a little too carbonated and the soft fuzzy feel in the mouth was not up to par as in RIS like Teddy Bear Kisses.
D: the overall drinkability is good. For a RIS that is served all year round I am very happy with Victory's Storm King. I could drink a few of these in one night.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Black color. It has a small head that is light brown in color. It dissapates quickly. A bit of caramel and coffee to the nose. Very full body to the beer, almost "thick". Somewhat roasty, not as much as some others. A hint of sweetness, chocolate and a good hop bite. The alchohol is not evident at all.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A hopped up version of a high gravity stout, this is another success story by the guys from Downingtown. The deep, dark color tempts the eyes, the hoppy nose tempts the tongue and does not disappoint. Its roasty, coffee notes along with the distinct hop finish makes this a hophead's delight. May not be to everyone's taste and the 9% abv can be a bit daunting, but to enjoy this beer on a night with a good book or beer magazine or even an entertaining movie, is worth it. I've had this on cask as well....awesome!!!

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer is excellent.

It pours an opaque black, and offers up a very thin tan head as I pour it down the side of my pint glass. The head doesn't linger long. The aroma is malty and roasty, with only a slight hint of alcohol.

The flavor is all that one could want from an imperial stout. I would serve this beer to an emperor. A full mouth-feel, with chocolate, roastiness, maltiness, and a subtle but firm bitterness from the hops, this beer pleases on many levels. Very satisfying.

I think I'll have another.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this on cask thanks to the persistence of Mikey.

I wasn't incredibly impressed the first time I tried this beer, but this time around was definitely better. It was a very deep chocolate brown color with a decent head and lacing. In my opinion, the smell didn't do justice to the wonderful taste. This beer seemed a little agressive with the hops for a stout, but still was well-rounded. Not my favorite stout, but totally worth enjoying when you get the chance.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

admittedly I am really too much of a noob to do this review justice. I have only had a handful of RIS, but I have to season my palate and taste a few more of these before I tear into my bottle of Kate.

I pull this out of the fridge and pour into a goblet. It pours a thick black with a 2 finger head that is the color of wet sand. The whole thing looks frothy and creamy. If you look at the stream as it pours it looks like pepsi.

Its got a roasty coffee smell with some hints of spice and chocolate. Those are generic terms for this style, it seems, but hey thats what I get. Alcohol is faintly present.

After the first taste I remember the tip to let this warm a little.

After 10 min, here we go. Thick, spicy coffee alcohol. Slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers on the center of my tongue. Not unpleasant. Nice. After a few sips the taste in your mouth is bitter and slightly dry. I am liking it.

Halfway down the glass the head and lacing are fighting with the liquid. After every sip the liquid tries to pull all the foam back but the creaminess punches back with some very nice lacing.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and I love that ever-so-slight numb feeling you get from the alcohol...this stuff is yummy.

The first cold drink was very different than the warmer midglass gulps. When I had the first taste I thought it would be my one and only, but I'm going to the fridge right now. The alcohol will get me, but I could drink quite a few of these...

2.69/5  rDev -34.4%

It pours very nicely and is an attractive looking beer. The beer is onyx in color and is topped with a chunky, milk chocolate colored head. Lace surrounds the glace when swirled and retains nicely. Although I am not a stout guy myself, I have to admit that it looked very pretty.

The nose was much weaker than I thought it would be. Chocolate and toffee as well as a fair amount of hops were identifiable, but were not powering in any way.

The taste was a crescendo of flavor and grew progressively stronger as it went down. Hops were definitely noticeable as well as a burnt popcorn flavors at the end of each sip. The strong coffee aftertaste is gross to me, which is the reason why I'm a tea drinker.

The mouth feel was clearly thick, which is one characteristic of stouts that deters me from drinking them. Furthermore, I disliked that it was astringent - it made me feel slightly dehydrated.

Admittedly, I didn't finish the beer, which was only delight to my friend. My rating will definitely be skewed due to the fact that I'm not a fan of this style. However, if you're one that likes stouts, this is a very well composed beer and it might be the brew for you.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Pour into 12oz snifter.

A- Dark opaque black with a nice fluffy brown head that has good retention. Lacing was also pretty good on this one.

S- Deeps smells of roasted malts and dark chocolate with a slight boozy smell.

T- This beer has a nice sweet flavor of chocolate up front, with strong malt backing. The hops are present on the finish to go along with an alcohol burn.

M- Nice creamy texture that came alone with great carbonation.

Overall very simple stout that tastes amazing.The flavors blend well together. I would like to try a bottle with some age on it to mellow out that alcohol finish.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: My god is it pretty, a very foreboding black with hints of mahogany along the edges. In the glass, it's pure black, with no light coming through, with brown edges to show it's not truly black. The head is very nice and large, about 2 fingers, with a very nice milk chocolate color. Fades down to a khaki wisp with time.

S: Smells of coffee (espresso), slight caramel, slight esters, and slight scent of alcohol soaked cherries, there is also a strong chocolate, but not so overpowering. Very complex, and inviting.

T/M: This is a truly interesting beer. The rush of hops to the palate immediately reminded me of a DIPA, with a nice citrus quality. Suddenly the onrush of dark chocolate, espresso, and a roastiness and slight smokiness. A delightfully complex brew. The citrus and chocolate flavors remind me of chocolate orange candy. A very slight warming sensation comes in from the alcohol, but it disappears just as quickly. There isn't a lot of carbonation, but a slight prickling appears. The mouthfeel is spot on, not thick, but sits perfectly on the palate. It is absolutely delightful.

D: Such a fantastic brew, well crafted, and delightfully complex. There are so many subtle nuances to this beer, its hard to appreciate it on it's first try. Not to mention, it hides the alcohol pretty well, and it goes down surprisingly well. I could easily finish a bomber of this.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance: bought a case of 12oz bottles, going to cellar a few.a dark dark brown a shade away from back.
Smell: roasted slightly smoked malty sweatness. chocolate?
Taste: well the roasted smoked chocolate cam through in the taste with a bitter bite.
Mouthfell: this beer has a great body full but not thick.
Drinkability: drinkable exceot for the force of gravity that would make me want to tumble to the earth if i had more the two( i'm a light weight)

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle. Had to special order a case. Expensive but worth it...So strong that a couple of bottles is all you could do in a session. Dark..dark...dark....like motor oil.Pours like motor oil too.
Starts with burnt coffee and bittersweet chocolate , than switches to strong hop notes...alcohol level is high...makes it quite warm going down ..almost rum like. This is without doubt my favorite beer...unfortunately it's hard to drink and rate like styles without them suffering by comparison...LOVE IT

2015: don't know if beer has changed as much as it seems or just suffers in comparison to some of the other I have been drinking lately. Thinner mouthfeel than I remember, not as rich

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

A nice 2 finger medium color head. It didn't go away for quite a while. The smell of nice roasted coffee came through and the taste ended with a fairly surprisingly strong hint of hops. I was really surprised how I tasted the bitterness of hops in this stout, but it was pleasant.
Decent mouthfeel and the flavor lingered for a long time. Drinkibility was pretty good, not my favorite stout, but one I would not shy away from in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours motor oil black into a pint glass, with a dense tan head.

Smell: Coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malt. Floral hops are noticeable as well.

Taste: Strong coffee followed by a hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Finishes rich and creamy, with hops and a chocolate sweetness on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very good for a beer this strong.

3.86/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours dark black with a small coffee-colored head. Not a lot of nose on this one. hints of coffee and chocolate, with a bit of alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Taste is coffee, dark chocolate, and a bit of a dark, sweet fruit flavor with a lot of hop bitterness and some alcohol as it finishes. I was actually expecting more out of this one, but overall a very solid imp stout.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer was highly recommended by a friend so I had to pick up a 6 pack.

A- Oil spill in a glass with a small head.

S- Coffee, slight chocolate scent

T- Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts

M- Medium to medium-heavy mouthfeel, VERY creamy

D- With over 9% ABV I could not find the alcohol. Very drinkable.

Great RI Stout, definitely worth a try

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours nice deep black with slight caramel color around the sides with light.
Smells of booze, roasted malts, chocolate and slight sweetness.
Taste has way too much smoke/roast flavor for me. Its right up front and overwhelms my palette.
Mothfeel is good - a bit thin for an IRS for me.
Overall the smoke flavor killed everything else for me and I didn't love this as much as I hoped to. Victory has been one of my favorite brewery s and this is a bit disappointing.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company