Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,576 | Hads: 5,611
2.69/5  rDev -34.4%

It pours very nicely and is an attractive looking beer. The beer is onyx in color and is topped with a chunky, milk chocolate colored head. Lace surrounds the glace when swirled and retains nicely. Although I am not a stout guy myself, I have to admit that it looked very pretty.

The nose was much weaker than I thought it would be. Chocolate and toffee as well as a fair amount of hops were identifiable, but were not powering in any way.

The taste was a crescendo of flavor and grew progressively stronger as it went down. Hops were definitely noticeable as well as a burnt popcorn flavors at the end of each sip. The strong coffee aftertaste is gross to me, which is the reason why I'm a tea drinker.

The mouth feel was clearly thick, which is one characteristic of stouts that deters me from drinking them. Furthermore, I disliked that it was astringent - it made me feel slightly dehydrated.

Admittedly, I didn't finish the beer, which was only delight to my friend. My rating will definitely be skewed due to the fact that I'm not a fan of this style. However, if you're one that likes stouts, this is a very well composed beer and it might be the brew for you.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Pour into 12oz snifter.

A- Dark opaque black with a nice fluffy brown head that has good retention. Lacing was also pretty good on this one.

S- Deeps smells of roasted malts and dark chocolate with a slight boozy smell.

T- This beer has a nice sweet flavor of chocolate up front, with strong malt backing. The hops are present on the finish to go along with an alcohol burn.

M- Nice creamy texture that came alone with great carbonation.

Overall very simple stout that tastes amazing.The flavors blend well together. I would like to try a bottle with some age on it to mellow out that alcohol finish.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: My god is it pretty, a very foreboding black with hints of mahogany along the edges. In the glass, it's pure black, with no light coming through, with brown edges to show it's not truly black. The head is very nice and large, about 2 fingers, with a very nice milk chocolate color. Fades down to a khaki wisp with time.

S: Smells of coffee (espresso), slight caramel, slight esters, and slight scent of alcohol soaked cherries, there is also a strong chocolate, but not so overpowering. Very complex, and inviting.

T/M: This is a truly interesting beer. The rush of hops to the palate immediately reminded me of a DIPA, with a nice citrus quality. Suddenly the onrush of dark chocolate, espresso, and a roastiness and slight smokiness. A delightfully complex brew. The citrus and chocolate flavors remind me of chocolate orange candy. A very slight warming sensation comes in from the alcohol, but it disappears just as quickly. There isn't a lot of carbonation, but a slight prickling appears. The mouthfeel is spot on, not thick, but sits perfectly on the palate. It is absolutely delightful.

D: Such a fantastic brew, well crafted, and delightfully complex. There are so many subtle nuances to this beer, its hard to appreciate it on it's first try. Not to mention, it hides the alcohol pretty well, and it goes down surprisingly well. I could easily finish a bomber of this.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Enjoy by: 26 MAR 2020

L: Dark. Almost pitch black if it weren't for a slight red hue. Can't see through this beer at all. Poured around a 1 finger coffee and cream head which quickly dissipated.

S: Rich dark malt profile. Coffee, a little chocolate, and some toffee. This smells divine.

T: Dark roasted malts. Strong coffee flavor gives way to some malty sweetness and ends with some hoppy bitterness.

F: Smooth to drink. A little lighter on the mouth feel than I was expecting. Prepared myself for it to be a little more chewy. Coffee and bitterness linger around after a moderately dry finish. Very little to no alcohol burn for an Imperial Stout clocking in at 9.1% ABV.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much. I will be purchasing more to share, cellar, and enjoy immediately. If you like stouts, be sure to try this one out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance: bought a case of 12oz bottles, going to cellar a few.a dark dark brown a shade away from back.
Smell: roasted slightly smoked malty sweatness. chocolate?
Taste: well the roasted smoked chocolate cam through in the taste with a bitter bite.
Mouthfell: this beer has a great body full but not thick.
Drinkability: drinkable exceot for the force of gravity that would make me want to tumble to the earth if i had more the two( i'm a light weight)

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

A nice 2 finger medium color head. It didn't go away for quite a while. The smell of nice roasted coffee came through and the taste ended with a fairly surprisingly strong hint of hops. I was really surprised how I tasted the bitterness of hops in this stout, but it was pleasant.
Decent mouthfeel and the flavor lingered for a long time. Drinkibility was pretty good, not my favorite stout, but one I would not shy away from in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours motor oil black into a pint glass, with a dense tan head.

Smell: Coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malt. Floral hops are noticeable as well.

Taste: Strong coffee followed by a hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Finishes rich and creamy, with hops and a chocolate sweetness on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very good for a beer this strong.

3.86/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours dark black with a small coffee-colored head. Not a lot of nose on this one. hints of coffee and chocolate, with a bit of alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Taste is coffee, dark chocolate, and a bit of a dark, sweet fruit flavor with a lot of hop bitterness and some alcohol as it finishes. I was actually expecting more out of this one, but overall a very solid imp stout.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer was highly recommended by a friend so I had to pick up a 6 pack.

A- Oil spill in a glass with a small head.

S- Coffee, slight chocolate scent

T- Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts

M- Medium to medium-heavy mouthfeel, VERY creamy

D- With over 9% ABV I could not find the alcohol. Very drinkable.

Great RI Stout, definitely worth a try

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours nice deep black with slight caramel color around the sides with light.
Smells of booze, roasted malts, chocolate and slight sweetness.
Taste has way too much smoke/roast flavor for me. Its right up front and overwhelms my palette.
Mothfeel is good - a bit thin for an IRS for me.
Overall the smoke flavor killed everything else for me and I didn't love this as much as I hoped to. Victory has been one of my favorite brewery s and this is a bit disappointing.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

beautiful dark stout color with a minimal tan head of foam
smells of coffee and roasted espresso
roasty taste, chocolate espresso beans with a tad bit of hop bite at the end of the sip
the alcohol mask here is great, actually had no idea it was a 9% until I looked at the ABV at the top of the page
well rounded stout

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured pitch black with nice one finger mocha head. The head retained with slight lacing. The beer looks great in the chalice.

The smell is hops and roasted malts. Tons of hoppy, roasted goodness in this one with some coffee as well. The alcohol is hidden well by the nose.

Bitter chocolate and roasted malts. Some coffee and expresso dominate the taste. The hops really bitter this one up. The mouthfeel is medium heavy.

This is definitely a solid imperial stout. I would have had another without question if there wasn't some rarer things on tap I wanted to try.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter glass. First impression was typical imperial stout, nice, thick head with decent amount of lacing. Very dark, might as well have been pitch black.

Smells strongly of heavily roasted malts and hops but not much else.

The taste compliments the smell almost perfectly. Both are very strong on the senses, slight burn on the throat. I'm disappointed at the lack of complexity in taste. Definitely higher on the hoppy scale with no other flavors to balance it out, I might have tasted a bit of grapefruit at the tail end.

Body is thin, leaves a strong trace of bitter once gone for a considerate amount of time.

Overall, this is a very stand-up beer choice. If you are in the mood for a heavy hitting beer with everything turned to the max, this is the beer for you.

4.56/5  rDev +11.2%

Ever since I moved from NM to MN I've been depressed I can no longer (easily) get Rogue's Shakespeare Stout. Well, I've now found a brew that can make it all better.

This one pours with a thick, dark, creamy head that just won't quit. Like a nitro-canned Guiness, it takes a while to settle down because it keeps forming after the pour, trying its best not to dissipate. The smell is unexciting. The taste, however, is fantastic and that's what matters most. Plenty of hops but even more malt. It finishes sweet (but not sickly) and it stays with you for a long while. Mouthfeel could be a little more substantial, but that's me being picky.

I was so excited about this one I had to immediately grab a second bottle. Half way through that I was feeling pretty good and was somewhat surprised to see the 9.1% ABV number on the bottle! Like Duvel, the alcohol is hiding behind the other flavors, not making itself known until you feel its effects. This one is exceptionally easy to drink.

Now I need to get this in the same room with the Rogue and make them duke it out for My Favorite Beer.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

This stout is thick and full of flavor. The first sip I took with my pal DavidBanner and we were pretty impressed on the fruity flavor mixed with somewhat tint of coffee taste. I couldn't really tell the ABV for the flavor was so full it gave me a bite. It has a dark head and tint, with a sweet distinctive aroma of rasberries. The reason I give this the drinkabilty of a 4 is that one too many is gonna be trouble.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

The aroma of this one hit me right away. The bitter roasted smell was pleasure to my nostrils. The appearance is an opague black and the head has a dark-ish brownish sort of tinge to it. The taste is just amazing. Imperial Stout all the way. There is a hefty amount of sweetness to this beer, so it is by no means a dry stout. In fact I picked up an interesting hint of mint in the taste. Just a hint, by no means an overpowering flavor. My assumption is that this minty taste is derived from the use of black roasted barley of some variety -- the flavor being a wonderful hint of bitterness from a very dark or black malt. My biggest complaint about this beer is that it is hard to find where I live.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle obtained from Carytown Wine and Beer. It reads “bottled Dec. 23 ’04.”

Appearance: This beer has a dark brown, almost black coloration and can be seen through only when directly under a light. Faint hints of red might be seen if observed closely. It pours with a healthy, tan head that it retains for a relatively short period of time.

Smell: It certainly does not seem to have an “active” aroma. I detect roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and a distinct note of orange peel. Overall, the aroma comes off as earthy and rather alcoholic.

Taste: Whereas there didn’t seem to be as much going on in the aroma, the taste assaults the mouth with coffee and chocolate malt. The hops presence is worth noting, because it balances out the bit of sweetness in the citrus flavor. An chicory-like bitterness lingers on the tongue long after the first sip. I would definitely have to cleanse my palate before sampling anything further. Although I can tell it’s high in alcohol content, it’s pleasantly hidden.

Mouthfeel: It is not overly carbonated and is thick and creamy in body, allowing it to go down smooth like any stout should. The alcohol, while not immediately noticeable on the palate becomes apparent after being swallowed, as it results in a nice, warming sensation.

Drinkability: Wow, this one heck of an Imperial Stout. If you like the category of stouts in the slightest, I recommend trying this at least once. It’s too alcoholic to drink a great deal of and seems to be too overpowering to have with other beers, though. I’m doubt this would be my preferred summer beer, but I see this as a great beer for a cold, winter night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had bought a six pack 6 months ago and cellared it. I decided to start trying it now before it got hot outside to drink too many heavy stouts.
It pours a very dark body with a dark tan head.
The smell has some very strong coffee aroma and a hint of bittersweet chocolate.
The taste is very robust and yet pleasingly mild compared to when I last drank some of this a couple of months ago. There upfront taste has a lot of strong coffee notes with chocolate in the aftertaste and some hints of anise.
I'm torn between finishing the six pack and waiting to see what this beer would taste like with a couple more months of cellaring.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Super black with a nice mocha colored 3 finger head, leaves a thin lacing.

S - Dark chocolate, espresso, citrusy hops, and alcohol

T - Delicous! I like this one a whole lot. Coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and citrussy hops dominate. A little bit of warming alcohol on the way down.

M - Thick with medium carbonation. Great for the style

D - Extremely sippable. This is a superb RIS.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours dark as pitch out of the bottle. Dark brown head that fades quick. Malty aroma with hops on the back end. Coffee and hop bitterness on the palate. Low carbonation. Tasty and rich!

As strong as this is, I would expect more alcohol on the palate. Rather enjoying the fact that the alcohol takes a back seat.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Man this is a good strong stout with tons of flavor! I also got this when the monkey was out! It has a high ABV and packs a punch that US smooth and thick! This beer IS black as black and has a beautiful light brown head that's frothy and looks like gold dust glistening! A sharp bite @ first taste and finishes nice with tons of alcohol flavor and hops galore! Feels good in the mouth and goes down super easy!!!

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A: black and opaque with a nic, two-finger, tan head that lingered a while and left nice legs on the glass

S: strong chocolate up front with some coffee coming after, a little booziness sneaks in as well.

T: chocolate and coffee again with toasted malt as well

M&D: nice and creamy, drinkable for what it is.

One of my favorite stouts. Definitely going to get this more often.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look forward to this every year - pours a healthy black, darker foam about a finger width that leaves really beautiful lacing.

Smell is complex, many things are mixed in here but hops and malt balanced pretty well overall, although smell does not hit very hard. Taste is really really nice, smooth without being boring at all, feels very full in the mouth. Malt backbone is obvious.

Overall a great experience, am cellering a couple and looking forward to the results down the road.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

a moderate pour into an imperial pint glass gave a one inch head with lacing sticking to the sides. a great typical deep light blocking color and a nice minimal/slightly malty scent comes up but no off or odd scents.

a great taste focusing on the malt bill, a nice black bite in the middle of my tongue makes this curious sip. it starts off smooth and finishes with a nice tartness that makes me want to sip it again. this can be dangerous because of the abv.

i just found out about this brew last week and was happy to find it to enjoy on a cool night like tonight. this is a great beer that is a good standard for the style. it's a good thing this one is sold in 12oz instead of bombers only. this means i will buy this one all winter long.

Intense, roasty, chocolatey. Big hop aroma. Slightly warming as it goes down. Would really like to taste one of these after it sits for a year or two. A real winner.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company