Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,557 | Hads: 5,543
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Very nice head on this beer, dissapates to a nice thin flavor trapping cover.
Smell is very pleasent with a tinge of alchohol. Very strong chocholate/mocha smell with a hint of espresso.
First thing to jump out of the taste is hopps, coffee next, a bit bitter and sweet at the same time. The finish is very worm and bitter. alchohol is definitely present in the taste and double in the finish. Hits the stomach like a brick. You know you're drinking something with significant ABV. The sweetness really comes out as it warms.
The mouthfeel is good, not to lingering, goes away just in time to prepare you foor another round.
I am quite fond of this stout! Came Highly recomended by a fellow BA'er.
A nice kicker about this beer is that it is affordable. You don't feel guilty about buying a whole six pack! (813 characters)

Pours black with a semi-thick head. Smells of black malt and dark fruit with a noticeable hop aroma. The taste is huge and complex with a larger hop presence than most Imperial Stouts but it is very well balanced. The finish has a nice hint of espresso.

I can't understand some of the low ratings.

Take it from someone who drinks stouts almost exclusively:
This is a spectacular Imperial Stout - One of the best that I have ever had. (435 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottled on Oct. 13, 2005. Poured into gold rimmed pilsner I got from Scotland.

Poured a nice vicous black. I can hold this up to the light and see some red hues coming through. There is not much head on this one, although it does produce some nice lacing.

Slightly hoppy nose, more than I expected for a stout. It comes through in the first taste but finishes off with a nice creamy texture that coats my mouth and throat.

This beer pours excited and its hard to get a feel for it in the first few sips. I really enjoyed this beer after letting it settle for a bit and warm up. Then the true character comes through. It reminds me of drinking a good cup of coffee, right around the time it cools down enough you can enjoy it but before it becomes too cold.

It has a complex flavor, bold upfront and smoothing out at the end. it leaves you with a taste that you want to let linger but you also want to try it again.

Drinkability is high on this one. it makes you keep coming back. The high ABV is well hidden, so don't let this take you by surprise.

A quality beer, Victory comes through on this one. Not the #1 on my stout list, but it is definitely a beer I would like to have around on a cold night.

--The Kush Man (1,239 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

This bottle was cellared for about a year. There's nothing wrong with it now, but I'm going to let the remainder of the sixer chill out for a few more years and see what happens.

A- I can't ask for anything more from a RIS. It is as black as anything I've ever seen and pours with two fat fingers of rootbeer float-colored head. The persistent lacing is intact from the top to the bottom of my empty glass.

S- Much better than an average stout. I got hits of toffee, very roasted (but not burnt) barley, and alcohol. Some reviews have claimed they didn't smell any of that. The nose on the beer was strong until the head dissipated in about five minutes, after which I couldn't really smell anything.

T- Doesn't quite match the smell. The hoppiness is still prevalent and the alcohol slightly noticeable after a year. A deep cocoa undertone is there. I don't mean chocolate. This note is more like a bar of +85% cocoa than typical chocolate-mess. I think this is because the hops artificially create a bitter cocoa taste.

M- Hops and alcohol numbness stays with me after the swallow. It's medium-bodied, but in this case, that's not a bad thing. (1,153 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in a chalice glass (Chimay)

Appearance - Pitch black, pours a dark, creamy, think head, with nice lacing and medium retention

Smell - Coffee and roasted malt, with a hint of hop. Aromas develop further as the beer nears room temperature. Choclolate quite noticeable on retro-olfaction.

Taste - Thick mouthfeel, black coffee and roasted malt, dark chocolate, low carbonation, alcohol hardly noticeable, lasting enjoyably bitter aftertaste

Drinkability - enjoyable, but definitely a sipper as it is a bit of a heavy beer (529 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Dark brown to black in color, opaque. Yielded a 1 finger head (tan/brown in color) that did retain with some lacing.

Smell - Considering I don't like anything overly hopped, I picked up the hops in this right off the bat. Malt, chocolate and coffee were present like most RIS, though once again, the strong hop presence caught me off guard.

Taste - I didnt enjoy the bitterness of this, it was almost a hop bitterness. Roasted Malt and coffee were present. Alcohol did come through some, but not bad.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation was somewhat high for the style. Was heavy, but not as heavy as others.

Drinkability - Being a RIS, drinkability isn't a strong suit, though this one isn't as heavy as others, bringing a drinkability factor to the table that others don't have.

If I liked hops, I would probably like this. I just didn't like how strongly this was hopped, especially for the style, confirming once again that everything I drink from Victory seems to have a strong hop presence. (1,048 characters)

4.12/5  rDev 0%

12oz. bottle poured in a goblet

Black. I mean black. And the head... I now know how jebus walked on water, it had a head like this. Tan and thick. It smells like a bag of charcoal and fruit loops . If I had two more hands I would give it four thumbs up. Burnt and crisp with a TON!!! of hops. A little bit of residual cocoa after a voyage of fruit flavors. Great flavor to this american rendition of a russian imperial stout. It's got a lot of gas. It still somehow manages to be kinda smooth for a while, then dries up cleanly. I dare you to drink a 6 pk of this. If you do, put it on youtube so I can get a laugh. (616 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into an Guinness pint glass.

Appearance was a deep, dark, brown, with a thin caramel head.

Smell of roasted coffee and perhaps a bit of chocolate

Good tasting stout...kind of sweet, a bit of hops on the back end and a bit of a black licorice taste, I guess this might have been the wee bit of alcohol.

I liked this a lot...the more I drank, the better i liked it. Will go to again.

BTW, First review; had to jump in sooner or later! (444 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Poured dark and thick. Started off with a nice head which quickly dissapated.

Smell - Deep roast aroma, very nice.

First taste was a heavy roast malt with hints of coffee. Aftertaste is a dry hoppy feeling which I usually don't like but wasn't overpowering in this beer.

I wouldn't have more than one or two at a time, but is a nice one to mix in. I think it would go well with a rich dessert or a bacon and blue burger. (472 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Beer pours very dark and retains a tan creamy head. Some lacing present. Substantial mouthfeel that starts off with an fairly intense coffee taste with a fade to bitter chocolate...but not to bitter. This is a very tasty beer with a heavy malt taste that is well balanced with hops at the finish. You can tell this is a strong beer when you taste it but it has exceptional drinkability and you can get in trouble with this one if you get carried away. (451 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark black hole color with light tan head that dissipated quickly. Smells of a typical RIS, dark roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, bread, etc. Taste is superb with smoky hints of everything I smelled and more. Mouthfeel is also very similar to many other RIS I have tasted, full body and sense of alcohol but not too dominant. Drinkability is very high for an RIS in my opinion. I will be trying other Victory selections as they become available based on their RIS. (474 characters)

Tried this one at the Stone World Bistro and Gardens, served in a 12 oz bottle with a goblet.
It was brought to me colder than it really should have been served, so I had to let it warm some.

App: Black and dark, 1/2" head, tan/caramel color, light lacing, esp for a RIS

Aroma: Roasted malt, coffee, slight hint of alcohol

Mouth: Med heavy body and sits full on the tongue

Taste: Good! Nice roasted coffee flavor but no real alcohol flavor that you get from many RIS.

I think if this beer were served warmer, the flavors would be far more pronounced, esp the alochol and chocolate, which I really like in a RIS.

It was good though and I'll definitely buy it again! (671 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I've tried this beer. I also don't have much frame of reference when it comes to Imperial Stouts.

Appearance: Storm King has a solid black appearance. Very nice looking beer. The head is thick and long lived. The beer also has nice legging on the glass. Looks the way a stout should look.

Smell: Very intense smells here. You definitely know it's a stout when you breath in...lots of rich malt scent. There's also some chocolate, coffee, and nutty scents. The alcohol is also noticeable by smell, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The malt flavor was noticed first. Very pleasant taste up front. There is a hint of sweetness at first sip as well. I sensed strong coffee and chocolate in the mix, which pleased me. The hops comes on late, but STRONG. It definitely dominates the end of the sip. There's also a lingering resin flavor...not bad, but I kind of wish it wasn't there. The alcohol is out there in the open, but I wasn't bothered by it.

Mouthfeel: Feels heavy on the tongue, but what do you expect?! It's very fitting for the style of beer. Carbonation feels just about right. Not too much to complain about here.

Drinkability: As I stated before, I haven't sampled very many imperial stouts. However I do know the theory behind the beer, so obviously I don't expect it to be a beer that I can drink throughout the night. That being said, this beer goes down nicely...leaving a nice warm buzz thanks to the 9.1%ABV! (1,488 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Storm King Stout by Victory Brewing is like a sultry siren. She coaxes you from your littoral home with hoppy succulence, then drags you into the abyss with a dusky, violating tentacle of bitter cocoa. Struggling and unshackled, you reach a derelict skiff of delicious malt and bask in sweet salvation.

Overall, an exciting and satisfying trip. (346 characters)

Just happened to see this on the shelf at a local beverage supply outlet. I have always enjoyed the Imperial Stouts out there although there are not many. The first thing I noticed upon popping off the cap was the unbelievable aroma coming from the bottle. If I had to smell this blind folded I would have guessed it was some sort of coffee/chocolate (mocha) style ice cream soda. The beer poured thick and black with a very dark head. The first sip of this brew floored me. It did not taste like I had anticipated. My long description would be a Hopped Chocolate malted coffee espresso deluxe with the essence of roasted almonds served in a chestnut wooden mug!! WOW!! The finish is smooth with a hint of bitterness that disappears very quickly from the tip of your tongue to the back of the throat. Carbonation is perfectly balanced because of the initial hoppyness experienced upon contact. I think this beer would even be enjoyed by those who typically don't drink this style. If you ever see this, try it. I could drink this every day if it wasn't so potent at 9.2% abvr. I Love this one and will try out the remaining four bottles during this years Holiday season. I am sure it will age very well. (1,203 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1%

One word....Black. Another word...Great! Pours black with a average one finger width tan head that dissolves down to a thin cap that reamins for the duration of the Beer. The aroma is subtle coffee and chocolate. The subtleness disappears with your first sip. Roasted! The flavors are solid roasted coffee and chocolate there is a hint of sweet malt. These flavors fade to the Hops that clean things up a bit and stop your tounge from being roasted as well. There is a slight burnt bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste and although it has a fairly high ABV it does not interfere with the taste of this Beer. The medium to thick body contributes to the success and the drinkability is high for an Imperial Stout. Storm King has just become one of my favorites. (764 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured a nice midnight black with a fairly large brown head. As it settles, the head dies and no evidence of lacing on the glass. Beautiful color, though.

Smell: Smells sweet. Not picking up the roasty aromas I usually pick up in stouts. Seems almost fruity in the nose. Odd.

Taste: Syrupy sweet. For me this is just too sweet for a stout. Followed by a large amount of hops. A lot of bitter and sweet, but IMO not very well balanced. There is a medicine-like taste in here too, actually reminiscent of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Decent medium body, low carbonation. Would like to taste more carbonation here.

Drinkability: counldn't do more than one. It's just too sweet for my tastes. Overall, I'd like this beer to have a more roasty taste, a little less hop character, and tone down the sweet maltiness quite a bit.

Was looking forward to drinking this one, but it just didn't do it for me. Overall, I'm a big fan of Victory brews. Stormking just wasn't my kind of stout, but worth giving 'er a try. (1,016 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 12 0z. bottle into an imperial pint glass. The body was opaque coffee black, like used motor oil, with a dark brown head. A glowing bulb was not visible through the full glass. I loved the body, but the head was a bit light and sudsy and dissipated within a minute or two.

The smell is a strong whiff of dark sweets and smoky wood. I was instantly reminded of molasses and an almost pine-like wood smell, African Blackwood, for those that know the smell. Some thick fruit syrup, or dry fruit, apricot I think. The smell was exceptional, I was content just to smell the beer for some time, before even tasting.

The taste followed the smell, with more thick fruit molasses and syrup, very strong, offset with equally strong bitter malt and hops. Very pleasant and thick on the palate, almost oily, but this did mean the drinkability was low. I wouldn't down more than one or two in a sitting! (905 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

A- Very good. Dark, caramel colored small head

S- Espresso scented. Roasty and a bit of herbal scent

T- The hops are unusually strong for a stout. The bitterness is interesting but not favorable. The bitterness lingers while the smooth coffee malt just kind of passes.

M- Surprisingly crisp

D- Overall, I was not impressed. I think it tries to balance the bitter with the malt but I find the bitter to overwhelming (at least in comparison to the malt). I do not think I would have it again. There are simply better stouts. (526 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Bottle I picked up at Total Wine in Annandale. Poured into a heavy 14oz mug. Had this on Dec 5, 07 - 74th Anniv. of repealment of probition AND DC's first snowfall of 07/08... perfect night for this one.

Pitch Black with a healthy (1") tan head.

Smells like Chocolate and, seriously, salted ham. My family grew up
on VA salted hams, and their smell is unmistakable - strong, meaty, with a fistful of salt and pepper. It took me a minute to figure out, but it was the smoked flavor coming through - just like a big 'ol smoked ham.

Umm, the taste was a let down at first, but as I let it warm
the flavor really filled out. After 5 or 10 min warming on the coffee table, the full depth came out to play - coffee, chocolate, cream, and caramel. Delicious, smooth, with just enough bite. I'm going to get more of this and age it.

The texture and viscosity were excellent. Thick enough to justify its
imperialness, but without being syrupy.

Especially drinkable for a 9.1% ABV. Dangerously drinkable when very cold. But, I much prefered it nearer to room temp.

All-in-all, an excellent stout. Not sure it's an excellent imperial, but very good. Either way, IMO, it's deserving of the high marks it's gotten on BA. (1,218 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

First time with this great stout!

A- Poured into a snifter with a great creamy-tan head. Just about black as night.

S- Smells like chocolate nibs and some dark fruit.

T- Lots of chocolate and coffee finished off with figgy sweetness. The alcohol is there but only slightly and warms you nicely

M- Amazing, soft and creamy.

D- For a beer at 9% i feel like i could drink quite a few of these. Its truly the most drinkable high abv beer ive ever had. (453 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Served ontap in a snifter.

A: Opaque. 2mm head disipates quickly to a nice lacing ring.
S: Coffee, chocolate, slight alcohol.
T: Extremely well balaced with similar flavors.
M and D: For a high ABV RIS this goes down too well. Flavors linger on the tongue.

My favorite local RIS. (281 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

For an imperial stout I was surprised and disappointed by the hoppyness. (Full disclaimer I do not really enjoy the hop flavor of most IPAs and this may overly impact my analysis) The beer also had a thinner texture then I would have liked. Based on these two factors I will not be selecting it in the future. (309 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm proud to make Victory Storm King my first official beer review. Ironically, I drove through a vicious lightening storm and mild flooding to buy this 6 pack. After drinking this brew, I would weather a tornado for another pint.

This beer pours rich and dark with a medium head characterized by chocolate and coffee highlights. Hops immediately hits the nose followed by a subtle hint of coffee maltiness.

The first taste is like an explosion in your mouth - complex and as original as an imperial stout can be. The spicy hop flavor excites the tongue and mellows with a dark malty flavor full of oak, coffee, and chocolate. The finish is smooth and clean with a hint of spice to keep you coming back for more.

An excellent brew that will always be welcome in my mug! (779 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

SERVING: My roommate Kirk unleashed a 2003 on me, well aged and carefully preserved. It was served at room temp in a Duvel glass from a bottle.
APPEARANCE: The color was that of soy sauce. Held it up to the light and saw not one photon shinging thru. Beautiful opaqueness.
SMELL: Light chocolate, mellowed by time under the sink. Silky malt with toasty notes of lightly burnt fruit, perhaps apricots, peaches.
MOUTHFEEL: As smooth as butter. Glides over the tongue with glorious sensuality. Kisses the roof of the mouth with the gentle persuasion of roasted malt. Rarely have I had a better experience regarding mouthfeel.
DRINKABILITY: It is strong, but so mild (at least aged 3 years). Mild in overall presentation, though not in spirit. It warms the soul and sticks to the ribs, if you can try it, you would do yourself a disservice by not doing so. (856 characters)

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company