Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

YOUR RATING = None |
4.1

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Reviews: 2,609 | Ratings: 5,772
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours dark, almost completely black with a thin caramel head that lasted for the whole tasting. I was surprised by the lack of aroma, it had just the faintest scent of hops. Upon tasting, the first surprise is the pine hops flavor followed by a more familier coffee and bitter chocolate stout flavor. Overall a very nice beer that I would drink again.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Big, powerful hop aroma with some comparatively subtle coffee notes. Pure black and pours an inch thick espresso-colored head which laces nicely as it recedes. Taste is just slightly sweet and then that big hop bitterness hits you. Rather thin bodied for a stout but it has quite a nice soft texture to it. Lacks the complexity that many of the other Imperial Stouts offer but this is also makes it very drinkable. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

A: Pours an almost black color with a 1-finger creamy brown head. Lacing is good, and lasts a while. The head fades quickly.Smell: Charred oak, cherries and brown sugar. Kind of a campfire quality. Cigar tobacco.

T: Bitter up front with a sweetness that gives way to the charred, smoky and more bitter characteristics. Aftertaste is dark chocolate, burnt toast and bitter black coffee.

M: Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Carbonation is low. Alcohol is barely noticeable.

D: Medium. As with most RIS, I need to take my time and only enjoy one of the course of an evening.

Considering price and availability, this is an excellent "everyday" RIS. Certainly not a WOW, but very good.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

This ale is for cold winter nights after shoveling snow all day. Sitting in your living room, sipping this wonderful product from Victory, life doesn't get much better. This ale pours black as pitch with a nice tan head. It smells of roasted barley and hops. Mouth feel is right on for an Imperial Stout, thick. Taste...heaven in a glass. I will be purchasing this again.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a beer!
Great looking and tasting dark beer.
A lot of Victory's are fantastic and there are, literally, 1000's upon 1000's of reviews on each one so my review and all others are sort of lost but I'd like my 2 cents on record for what I deem the best of the lot. Being from Philly, there are a lot of Victory's everywhere. The best place is the Victory Beer Garden down where the Spectrum used to be. It is an amazing place with what seem to be, dozens of the big "V", tap handles along an enormous bar.
I've had this beer there too.
It has a kick to it and has a large, magnificent coffe-ish colored head.
When I pour from the bottle I use a Duval Tulip glass and the head fills the upper end of the 22 oz glass. Quite impressive.
Heck...
I'm going out and get another one right now.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

This beer is excellent. It is black, but not opaque as you might usually see with this style, with some light getting through. The head was a light brown and had a fluffy, cotton-like look to it and it stayed around the whole time I drank it. The aroma is full of hops and a little maltiness. I was waiting for a bitter taste but instead I got a very smooth and pleasant taste out of it which was surprising. No sign of alcohol at all in the taste which is remarkable considering the very high content. Great mouthfeel and very drinkable, recommended to all.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Victory Storm King 12 oz.
Enjoyed out of my PBR pint glass and shared with my bro.

Appearance: Liquid black, with a hint of maroon around the edges when it's held up to a lightl Big and beautiful full creamy head

Aroma: Big coffee notes, but coffee that's blended with dark chocolate. Roasted malts, just a hint floral hops.

Flavor: Definitely get tasty floral hops off the top, that rapidly goes to burnt espresso. The alcohol is there... I've got to be honest from the appearance I was expecting a more of a big maltiness. I do enjoy the chocolate hoppy finish. But it still dies off pretty fast.

Mouth Feel: It sort of feels like a liquid chocolate covered espresso bean that's been liquidated. It coats the month and stays their for a while. Definitely a redeeming quality to this beer.

Drink ability: I will happily split this beer with anyone who wants to try one out of my cellar. But it's not a beer where I'm going to get excited about and look forward to drinking. It's good but not spectacular.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Have had this beer both on tap at Victory and in a bottle at home. Overall a good beer - it is a "heavy beer." Dark at pour, thick you feel like you need a knife to drink it. Even with thickness - it goes down quick and easy though you can certainly taste the alcohol. A beer that I would recommend for a cold winter night and leave it on the shelf in the summer time.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours almost completely opaque, dark chocolate brown with a dark tan 2 finger head. The head takes a couple of minutes to dissipate, and leaves some serious lacing. No carbonation to be seen through the hazy brew.

S: Rich dark flavors. Coffee, caramel and chocolate. Malts come through with some creaminess and a bit of alcohol on the backend. Smells almost like a cafe au lait.

T: Upfront bitter dark chocolate, then coffee overtakes the palate which is rounded out by burnt sugar and caramel and vanilla. The midpalate is cream and figuey sweetness with some red fruit. All coffee on the finish, with bitter hops coming through. I wish there were a bit more malt character.

M: Round, full mouthfeel. Has a lot of creaminess that's nice and the alcohol is well hidden. The carbonation is perfect.

D: Very nice drinkability, especially for an Imperial. The beer makes me want to come back for more, although I not crazy about the finish.

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz bottle with enjoy by date of July 15 2015 this beer must age well with a date like that.

A - pours a pitch black with a frothy light tan head.

S - sweet fruity smell with strong hop scent unusual for the RIS that i have had.

T - definite american hop flavor in the forefront, with sweet fruity undertones. The malt flavor in the background much more subtle then I'm used to. This brew definitely leans more toward the hop than malt.

M - more carbonated than usual, lighter than most RIS i have tasted.

D - More drinkable than usual for an RIS could definitly throw back a few of these but gotta be careful with that 9% abv. Overall not the best RIS i have ever had, different but not terrible highly drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle into tulip Piraat tulip.

Poured an opaque black with generous rocky tan head.

Blasted with a whiff of dark chocolate when opening bottle and on first sniff. Fragrant fruit aroma arrives afterwards from the hops.

Flavor is intensely roasty. Notes of bitter chocolate predominate with coffee and dirt in the background. Fruit comes forward mid swallow with bitterness from malt and hops on the finish.

Fairly smooth for the weight, I would say the carbonation is about right. I think one bottle would do it for me.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours out pitch black with a super nice foamy tan head that falls down to a nice cap on top leaving decent lacing.

The aroma is like POW! Super hoppy! Almost reminds me of their Yakima Twilight. Very hoppy with a slight chocolate malt aroma under all the floral hops.

The taste is like the smell. Big hoppy punch. Light chocolate malt flavor. Not that malty considering the style. So hoppy it almost doesn't even seem like a stout at all.

The Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Not very creamy or chewy. Carbonation is a bit high for the style. Still quite enjoyable. Just a bit thin and prickly feeling from the higher carbonation. A simple swirl around the glass brings the head back up to a big creamy tan head and also makes the mouthfeel a little more creamy. I say, it's a pretty nice mouthfeel but just not very stout-like

The drinkablity is pretty good considering the high ABV. The strong hop flavor is nice and the high alcohol is hidden quite well. Still after about half the glass, I start feeling the burn of alcohol a little in the belly. Very good cold night warmer. But the thing I like about this, is for being a big hophead and not a big stout drinker, it is like a perfect halfway point. This is like a super big hoppy Imperial Stout. Definately hoppy and I'm not talking bitter hops I mean floral aroma of hops coming through the dark malts. It does have a nice bitterness as well but the floral hops definately come through this beer. Like they used some strong high alpha acid finishing hops in this. Kind of weird but surprisingly good.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

An aggressively bitter and roasted stout. Slightly thin mouthfeel but well carbonated. Tasted notes of caramel and coffee. That bitter flavor is just everywhere, up front and lingering afterward. Alcohol starts to sneak up on you halfway into the glass as the beer warms up. Better to take out of the fridge and let warm up. Flavor really opens up. Paired nicely with salami and cheese.

Victory has scored the perfect Imperial Stout. Others have tried, but never gotten as close as this. It's probably bigger (better?) than the style suggests, but we love things that way here in the USA. Very hoppy aroma and flavor, considering the abv, color, and malt profile. Gotta love it. Looking for something to knock your socks off? Stop here.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

I tried this tonight and at first glimpse I thought was in for a treat. This is by far one of the darkest stouts I have tried. Poured rich in color of a black mohogany, and formed a small head that lasted about 5 mins or so. I started off drinking and got nothing but bitterness and a strong alcohol smell. So, I let it sit while'st I played a few rounds of Call of Duty 2. After about 45 mins I tried again and wow what a difference letting your stout warm up makes. Now I could easily taste the malts, smell the bit of floral hops and could detect espresso, dark chocolate and carmel. The finish was still a little bitter, but it's and Imperial stout so thats just fine with me. Over all a great bear to nurse, it just gets better and better.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours dark dark with a nice tan head that fades to a bubbly ring.

The aroma is really amazing combination of dark malts and american hops. I like it.

The mouthfeel is appropriatley thick, but the hops cut through and make it way to drinkable for a 9% beer. The flavor is a great combination of malt and hops. The dark coffee and toffee flavors roll into the hops and it is just too good.

This is a very good imperial stout.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours pitch black with a thick coffee colored head.

S: Nice roast aroma, some coffee, earthy hops and alcohol fill the nose.

T: Distinct malt profile of roasted malt, coffee , and charcoal/burnt flavors all take a ride on huge piney hop flavor and bitterness, warmth from alcohol, slightly boozy.

M: Full bodied and bitter, under carbonation produces a creamy beer.

D: A delicious and slightly different interpretation of an imperial stout in the form of the huge hop profile. I have had 3 year old bottles and it is fantastic, this beer gets an A with a little age.

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one was a hard rate for me. Not quite black color, with a two-finger, light tan head that quickly dissipates to about a centimeter. It smells amazing. Sweet burnt sugar or molasses is the heavy scent up front, ending smoky and a bit roasty as well, its hard to take your nose out of this guy. Sort of reminds me of coffee and pecan pie. The taste though, has almost none of the characteristics of the smell. The flavor is almost exclusively burnt malts, with hardly any sweetness or smokiness. Not much depth to the taste; I was honestly a bit underwhelmed. The mouthfeel is fine, medium to slightly thicker.

I was excited to try this when I saw it, being a stout/porter guy (and a fan of Victory), but truthfully, I wasn't really impressed. Not that it's bad in any way, it's a fair beer in its own right and it smells like heaven, but the taste leaves a lot to be desired. It lacks complexity which, in today's craft beer scene, isn't likely overlooked.

This is twelve times better than last time I had it. Yay!! AMazing what having an imperial stout that is of age is like compared to premature. The fusels have mellowed massively and a whole new layer of rich chocolate sweetness has emerged.

The pour is not as black as th blackest of black can blackly black, but its still black, black. Nice tan head with mediocre head retention and larger imperial stout bubblies.

Nose is roasty sweet like toasted marshmallows. Not too much coffe for me in this one. Of course it i there some given the style, but not overwhelmingly. Chocolate however is assertive. A smokiness in this beer I've never noticed before. My friend pointed out some smell that reminded him of hot dogs. I'm veggy, but I rememeber hot dogs and I totoally pick up on what he is describing.

Flavor- Roast unsurprisingly jumps out immediately, however a nice sweetness of dark chocolate balances this with some tingly carbonation to clean the tongue for the next sip. A hint of smoked spicy meat in the flavor. The finish is definitely full of roasted barley but not as loud as some other examples of this style, or as some of the winter malty warmers I've been drinking lately. Overall, much improved. I'm aging three bottles to see how another few years treats them.

Delicious hot roast to this beer.

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%

This is one of the best imperial stouts you will find!
If full bodied strong beers (both alcohol and flavor) is not your thing, then don't bother with this one. If they are... this is about as good as it gets.

A - Perfect pitch black like an imperial stout should be. Nice thick creamy head (but not out of control) that lasts most of the way down..

S - Roasted malts, coffee, very light raisin or date scent, and a presence of alcohol.

T - Awesome with every sip. Coffee, light hops, a somewhat bitter roasted malt along with a warm alcohol aftertaste. What makes this one so nice is that it does not knock you over with its flavor, just a solid, excellent beer.

M - Decent carbonation as well as maintaining an overall thickness.
Beer sticks around, but not overwealming.

D - Make sure you do not drink this one ice cold, and remember its high ABV and you will agree this is a very drinkable beer.

THANK YOU VICTORY FOR ANOTHER WINNER!

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Beautiful 2-3 finger, dark amber head with great retention -- You know it's a good sign when it takes 2 pours and this is still coming over the top. Mix of tiny to huge bubbles and a sweet lace. Pitch black.

Smell - Sweet, caramel with spicy hop aroma coming through as well.

Taste - Licorice and burnt coffee mix together for a pretty powerful blast. The aftertaste stays around forever -- it's hoppy and alcoholic and is dry enough to pucker your mouth. I love the hoppy imperials, and this hop character overpowers all else in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation and lighter than I expected. A little sticky.

Drinkability - Warms you up for sure. Drinking two in a row would be a stretch for me, but I'm not at all turned off by the aftertaste. Good for the style.

2.95/5  rDev -28%

A solid beer. I'm not going into too much detail beyond that. I did find some more muddled and unrefined metallic notes that weren't desirable. The flavor definition was poor compared to others. The stout category simply has some really fine names in it, so this was towards the bottom of what I've tasted for imperial stouts. Makes me feel like I was too hard on the Ten Fidy. A while back I had the pils from victory which I really enjoyed, so this was a bit of a disappointment, for that and because the rating is high (A- very respectable to me). I'm just doing my part in smoothing the bell curve to bring it down to what I consider its rightful position in the B/B+ area.. yes 87% from me. Something about that A- caused me to expect more, a 92% perhaps, and therefore led to my disappointment. I hope this lends detail into the degree of it's exceptionalness, but it is solid beer and I wouldn't turn one down.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Nice black color. decent head after the pour, that quickly settled. Nice lacing ring to the very bottom

S: Hops, roasted malt, sweet malt, slight cocoa, slight coffee. This is a hoppier smelling imp stout than others. I really like it.

T: As the hops in the aroma would lead you to expect, it has a nice hops bitterness to it upfront. The malt kicks in to smooth things out, then there is a nice cocoa bitterness on the finish. Definitely complex and a bit different given the category. Less malty than others like this for sure.

M: Perfectly complex. I like the bitterness, and I also like that it lacks spiciness found in some other bigger stouts. Perfectly complex and perfectly balanced.

D: Very Good. Anything that is perfectly balanced and perfectly complex as mentioned above has a great drinkability

A great RIS and a nice alternative to roasted malt dominated RIS beers. Wish I could this in CO

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This does not taste like a roasty coffee laced stout. This is a hoppy IPA tasting beer. Not really what I want when I want a stout. If it said IPA well than okay. For an IPA its good. For a stout its bad.

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%

Look: Absolutely wonderful. Pours like Guinness.

Smell: VERY pungently spiced, bitter, strong.

Taste: Like a kick in the mouth! Perhaps its the very high ABV, but this beer is a VERY pungent, very sharp, robust flavor. You take a sip and need some time to recoil.

Feel: VERY thick and little carbonation, like a Guinness, but leaves a strong hoppy aftertaste.

Overall: I'm not sure. It's far too pungent for my taste in stouts/porters, but if you like really bold, intense beers, this may be for you.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown