Join our email list →

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,599 | Hads: 5,725
3.46/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz bottle with enjoy by date of July 15 2015 this beer must age well with a date like that.

A - pours a pitch black with a frothy light tan head.

S - sweet fruity smell with strong hop scent unusual for the RIS that i have had.

T - definite american hop flavor in the forefront, with sweet fruity undertones. The malt flavor in the background much more subtle then I'm used to. This brew definitely leans more toward the hop than malt.

M - more carbonated than usual, lighter than most RIS i have tasted.

D - More drinkable than usual for an RIS could definitly throw back a few of these but gotta be careful with that 9% abv. Overall not the best RIS i have ever had, different but not terrible highly drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle into tulip Piraat tulip.

Poured an opaque black with generous rocky tan head.

Blasted with a whiff of dark chocolate when opening bottle and on first sniff. Fragrant fruit aroma arrives afterwards from the hops.

Flavor is intensely roasty. Notes of bitter chocolate predominate with coffee and dirt in the background. Fruit comes forward mid swallow with bitterness from malt and hops on the finish.

Fairly smooth for the weight, I would say the carbonation is about right. I think one bottle would do it for me.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours out pitch black with a super nice foamy tan head that falls down to a nice cap on top leaving decent lacing.

The aroma is like POW! Super hoppy! Almost reminds me of their Yakima Twilight. Very hoppy with a slight chocolate malt aroma under all the floral hops.

The taste is like the smell. Big hoppy punch. Light chocolate malt flavor. Not that malty considering the style. So hoppy it almost doesn't even seem like a stout at all.

The Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Not very creamy or chewy. Carbonation is a bit high for the style. Still quite enjoyable. Just a bit thin and prickly feeling from the higher carbonation. A simple swirl around the glass brings the head back up to a big creamy tan head and also makes the mouthfeel a little more creamy. I say, it's a pretty nice mouthfeel but just not very stout-like

The drinkablity is pretty good considering the high ABV. The strong hop flavor is nice and the high alcohol is hidden quite well. Still after about half the glass, I start feeling the burn of alcohol a little in the belly. Very good cold night warmer. But the thing I like about this, is for being a big hophead and not a big stout drinker, it is like a perfect halfway point. This is like a super big hoppy Imperial Stout. Definately hoppy and I'm not talking bitter hops I mean floral aroma of hops coming through the dark malts. It does have a nice bitterness as well but the floral hops definately come through this beer. Like they used some strong high alpha acid finishing hops in this. Kind of weird but surprisingly good.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

An aggressively bitter and roasted stout. Slightly thin mouthfeel but well carbonated. Tasted notes of caramel and coffee. That bitter flavor is just everywhere, up front and lingering afterward. Alcohol starts to sneak up on you halfway into the glass as the beer warms up. Better to take out of the fridge and let warm up. Flavor really opens up. Paired nicely with salami and cheese.

Victory has scored the perfect Imperial Stout. Others have tried, but never gotten as close as this. It's probably bigger (better?) than the style suggests, but we love things that way here in the USA. Very hoppy aroma and flavor, considering the abv, color, and malt profile. Gotta love it. Looking for something to knock your socks off? Stop here.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

I tried this tonight and at first glimpse I thought was in for a treat. This is by far one of the darkest stouts I have tried. Poured rich in color of a black mohogany, and formed a small head that lasted about 5 mins or so. I started off drinking and got nothing but bitterness and a strong alcohol smell. So, I let it sit while'st I played a few rounds of Call of Duty 2. After about 45 mins I tried again and wow what a difference letting your stout warm up makes. Now I could easily taste the malts, smell the bit of floral hops and could detect espresso, dark chocolate and carmel. The finish was still a little bitter, but it's and Imperial stout so thats just fine with me. Over all a great bear to nurse, it just gets better and better.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours dark dark with a nice tan head that fades to a bubbly ring.

The aroma is really amazing combination of dark malts and american hops. I like it.

The mouthfeel is appropriatley thick, but the hops cut through and make it way to drinkable for a 9% beer. The flavor is a great combination of malt and hops. The dark coffee and toffee flavors roll into the hops and it is just too good.

This is a very good imperial stout.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours pitch black with a thick coffee colored head.

S: Nice roast aroma, some coffee, earthy hops and alcohol fill the nose.

T: Distinct malt profile of roasted malt, coffee , and charcoal/burnt flavors all take a ride on huge piney hop flavor and bitterness, warmth from alcohol, slightly boozy.

M: Full bodied and bitter, under carbonation produces a creamy beer.

D: A delicious and slightly different interpretation of an imperial stout in the form of the huge hop profile. I have had 3 year old bottles and it is fantastic, this beer gets an A with a little age.

This is twelve times better than last time I had it. Yay!! AMazing what having an imperial stout that is of age is like compared to premature. The fusels have mellowed massively and a whole new layer of rich chocolate sweetness has emerged.

The pour is not as black as th blackest of black can blackly black, but its still black, black. Nice tan head with mediocre head retention and larger imperial stout bubblies.

Nose is roasty sweet like toasted marshmallows. Not too much coffe for me in this one. Of course it i there some given the style, but not overwhelmingly. Chocolate however is assertive. A smokiness in this beer I've never noticed before. My friend pointed out some smell that reminded him of hot dogs. I'm veggy, but I rememeber hot dogs and I totoally pick up on what he is describing.

Flavor- Roast unsurprisingly jumps out immediately, however a nice sweetness of dark chocolate balances this with some tingly carbonation to clean the tongue for the next sip. A hint of smoked spicy meat in the flavor. The finish is definitely full of roasted barley but not as loud as some other examples of this style, or as some of the winter malty warmers I've been drinking lately. Overall, much improved. I'm aging three bottles to see how another few years treats them.

Delicious hot roast to this beer.

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%

This is one of the best imperial stouts you will find!
If full bodied strong beers (both alcohol and flavor) is not your thing, then don't bother with this one. If they are... this is about as good as it gets.

A - Perfect pitch black like an imperial stout should be. Nice thick creamy head (but not out of control) that lasts most of the way down..

S - Roasted malts, coffee, very light raisin or date scent, and a presence of alcohol.

T - Awesome with every sip. Coffee, light hops, a somewhat bitter roasted malt along with a warm alcohol aftertaste. What makes this one so nice is that it does not knock you over with its flavor, just a solid, excellent beer.

M - Decent carbonation as well as maintaining an overall thickness.
Beer sticks around, but not overwealming.

D - Make sure you do not drink this one ice cold, and remember its high ABV and you will agree this is a very drinkable beer.

THANK YOU VICTORY FOR ANOTHER WINNER!

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Beautiful 2-3 finger, dark amber head with great retention -- You know it's a good sign when it takes 2 pours and this is still coming over the top. Mix of tiny to huge bubbles and a sweet lace. Pitch black.

Smell - Sweet, caramel with spicy hop aroma coming through as well.

Taste - Licorice and burnt coffee mix together for a pretty powerful blast. The aftertaste stays around forever -- it's hoppy and alcoholic and is dry enough to pucker your mouth. I love the hoppy imperials, and this hop character overpowers all else in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation and lighter than I expected. A little sticky.

Drinkability - Warms you up for sure. Drinking two in a row would be a stretch for me, but I'm not at all turned off by the aftertaste. Good for the style.

2.95/5  rDev -28%

A solid beer. I'm not going into too much detail beyond that. I did find some more muddled and unrefined metallic notes that weren't desirable. The flavor definition was poor compared to others. The stout category simply has some really fine names in it, so this was towards the bottom of what I've tasted for imperial stouts. Makes me feel like I was too hard on the Ten Fidy. A while back I had the pils from victory which I really enjoyed, so this was a bit of a disappointment, for that and because the rating is high (A- very respectable to me). I'm just doing my part in smoothing the bell curve to bring it down to what I consider its rightful position in the B/B+ area.. yes 87% from me. Something about that A- caused me to expect more, a 92% perhaps, and therefore led to my disappointment. I hope this lends detail into the degree of it's exceptionalness, but it is solid beer and I wouldn't turn one down.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Nice black color. decent head after the pour, that quickly settled. Nice lacing ring to the very bottom

S: Hops, roasted malt, sweet malt, slight cocoa, slight coffee. This is a hoppier smelling imp stout than others. I really like it.

T: As the hops in the aroma would lead you to expect, it has a nice hops bitterness to it upfront. The malt kicks in to smooth things out, then there is a nice cocoa bitterness on the finish. Definitely complex and a bit different given the category. Less malty than others like this for sure.

M: Perfectly complex. I like the bitterness, and I also like that it lacks spiciness found in some other bigger stouts. Perfectly complex and perfectly balanced.

D: Very Good. Anything that is perfectly balanced and perfectly complex as mentioned above has a great drinkability

A great RIS and a nice alternative to roasted malt dominated RIS beers. Wish I could this in CO

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This does not taste like a roasty coffee laced stout. This is a hoppy IPA tasting beer. Not really what I want when I want a stout. If it said IPA well than okay. For an IPA its good. For a stout its bad.

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%

Look: Absolutely wonderful. Pours like Guinness.

Smell: VERY pungently spiced, bitter, strong.

Taste: Like a kick in the mouth! Perhaps its the very high ABV, but this beer is a VERY pungent, very sharp, robust flavor. You take a sip and need some time to recoil.

Feel: VERY thick and little carbonation, like a Guinness, but leaves a strong hoppy aftertaste.

Overall: I'm not sure. It's far too pungent for my taste in stouts/porters, but if you like really bold, intense beers, this may be for you.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 2004 and purchased at the local liquor store for $9.99 a six pack.

Appearance- well, it is just as you'd expect from a double-stout; black and will not allow any light to pass through it's ink color. Small, dark tan head that dissipates into a ring around the glass with a pool hanging around in the middle.

Smell- complexity is the key of this stouts game. Giving off both sweet cherries and darker tones, like roasted nuts and dark chocolate all at once is indeed perplexing. The hops and alcohol are there if you look hard enough, making this an odd balance where the beer seems both sweet and sour at the same time. Don't think that i consider this a bad thing though, and quite the opposite; i'm impressed as to how many characteristics culminate in the nose at once.

taste- Just as complex as it's smell would lead one to believe. Starts off with the roasted tones, mild caramel, dark fruits, and plenty of dark chocolate, then subsides into a solid hop bite. But the brew isn't satisfied with just that. After the hop a sweet cherry flavor pulls itself through, almost out of nowhere it seems, and then AGAIN goes back to the hop bite after the sweetness has subsided. Very elegant in the way it goes about its business; it doesn't try to pound one single flavor into you but rather gives you many to work with. A minor touch of alcohol finishes off the show.

Mouthfeel- creamy, but not as heavy as i'd like from a double stout. Still, this isn't what anyone would call "light" by any stretch of the imagination. Heavy, just not D.S. heavy.

drinkability- I would consider this extremely drinkable when you take it's style into account. I can, and have, had three in the span of a little over an hour (as my friends have dubbed it, "The Storm King Challenge"), but your average person probably wouldn't consider this a session beer. Still, even when i'm only drinking one to relax, i take it down fairly quick.

The beer that started it all for me, back when my manager at the liquor store hooked me up with a 2000 vintage 6 pack for 9 bucks (talk about a deal!). And for quite some time after i turned 21, i considered this the best beer i had ever had. Well, that may not be the case anymore, but this is still a brilliant brew in my mind. What had started out as something new and exciting for me has changed over into an old reliable, which to me means that it never really loses it's charm. This, coupled with Old Horizontal, makes up the better part of what i purchase during the winter season. I guess Victory just knows what i like. Another winner from the great brewery.

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

Had on tap at the Ginger Man in Manhattan, NY.

Great pour, deep dark black with great head. Smelled of rich flavors and especially espresso. Alcohol was also very prevalent. Taste was masked at first by coldness and decided to let it warm up. Even then though, alcohol and espresso shown through on my tongue. Very smoth and very drinkable for an imperial stout. Definitely. A great way to end the night!

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly jet black with only a little light lace. Mild nose, slightly sweet aroma. A little flat in the front followed by a lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is uncharacteristically light for the style. Overall, a fair stout.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

"This does not taste like a roasty coffee laced stout" That's what coffee stouts are for. This is a great example of stout made exclusively of grain. You do taste roasted notes, like in coffee, but they draw out the best in dark grain for this one. I think its one of the best examples of American stouts with no added flavors, almost tastes like an Ethiopian stout too, chocolaty and coffee like, but not fake. I like coffee and chocolate stouts, but it takes skill to make a beer that has those same flavors just from grain.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to a pint glass

A: Two fingers of head. A dark tan head slightly darker than Old Rasputin. Even thick lace coats glass and make beer look good.

A black beer, held up to light one can see a slight red translucence. I think this beer is actually darker than Old Rasputin.

While a nice head and lace, they weren't as pronounced or as long lasting as Old Rasputin and for that I'm not marking it has high. Still a great looking stout.

S: Slightly roasted smell and malty. The smell wasn't very powerful or distinct and that's why it recieves the lowest score in thie review.

T: Strong! Sweet, coffeesque, roasted chocolately taste. Bitter. Complex. I'm told to try it after Old Rasputin and that's just what I did. I had some cheese and water to neutralize OR, and then had this beer. This is a great tasteing beer, but I don't know if it tastes 'better' or even more complex than Old Rasputin. It's simply uniquely different. I'm going to give it the same score as Old Rasputin, a 4.5. It's a great tasteing Stout, that's all I can say.

M: The carbonation in the beer isn't visually noticable, but it is heavy and pronounced when agitated. This provides a burning sensation not found in less carbonated stouts. This compliments the flavors and probably is responsible for the beer coming to life.

Smooth and balanced. I'm coming to think the secret to a great beer is in balance. This beer is balanced. Toasty roasted, sweet and bitter, clean, it's all there.

D: Again, the balance of the beer makes it incredibly easy to drink. The roasted chocolate aftertaste doesn't get old. It's in fact very inviting.

The higher carbonation may lead to a full sensation more quickly than in other stouts, but I haven't put that many away to test this idea out. I was told to compare this beer and Old Rasputin and this review details some of that. I think they are both great beers. I don't know if I could pick one over the other. Perhaps I'll have to go back and have a showdown!

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Deep, dark brown, nearly black. Caramel colored head which diminished quickly with no lacing.

S: Sweet, sharp, strong hop aroma. Very strong roasted barley smell.

T: Bitter, but very sweet, with strong hop overture throughout. Roasted barley flavor is very strong with hints of mild tannin, dark fruit.

M: Thick and hearty.

D: Warming and wonderful which goes with the style, but deliciously easy to drink. Too many could be dangerous at the ABV, but it could be hard to stop.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

From a bottle into a pint glass. Nie and dark color that lets no light through. Small mocha colored head that dissipates quickly into an extremely thin layer on top. A good amount of nutty coffee on the nose. I expected it to be sweeter, but it drank like a black coffee. It has an interesting bitter note that some would not like. Feels like a stout should, but nothing that jumps out at me. Its carbonation is pretty mild. Leaves a nice fizzy feeling on the tongue.

A - Motor oil black
S - molasses, and chocolate with hints of espresso, fruit.
T - sweet malts, bitter hops, lingering spices and a light alcohol presence.
M - Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. The 9.1%alcohol in this brew is well hidden

D - A good RIS, but for the money I can easily get much better from Stone or Alesmith

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Serving was in a brown bottle poured in to a glass.
Appearance was almost pitch black with about a finger of froth, that dissapates to a thin lacing
smell was that of chocolate and coffee, and a hint of alcohol.
taste of chocolate with a coffee bitterness.
mouthfeel was medium bodied
A very good imperial stout, but I could only have 1 or 2 of these.

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%

Alright, now this brew I'm a little touchy about.
A- thick dark black-good
S- maltiness, but oh no, what's that, Do I detect a heavy hoppiness to this highly acclaimed RIS- NOT COOL!
T-There are great chocolates, malts and slight coffee here, BUT a huge influx of hops, ARGHHHH.
M- rich and crispy, could be heavier.
D- could have a couple.
Is this a Russian Imperial Stout or a Russian Imperial Pale Ale dyed black?
I just don't think RIS should taste so hoppy and crisp.
All that said I still enjoy the beer, I just don't think its labeled correctly.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown