Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Very dark, poured a very dark brown, dark mocha colored head, sticky lacing

S: Dark roasted malt, dark fruits, dark roast coffee aromas

T: Pine hop bitterness, dark fruits, roasted malt, roasted coffee flavors, black licorice

M: dry, very bitter, well carbonated, very thick, full medium full bodied beer

O: Its pretty good, though it is a bit too bitter for my liking. This is a very surprising RIS because of the hop presence, its throwing my taste buds for a loop. It is a quality beer and very complex. Definitely worth the purchase.

Crundy, Feb 11, 2012

sneth019, Feb 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14%

enelson, Feb 10, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

stouts are king so storm king could it be the king of stouts? would seem very appropriate for that title!

poured out with little head but what head it has was certainly nice. it was a tight foam with a mocha color and texture

aroma was heavy on the molasses, tar and even a little bit of bubble gum in there. was not expecting that at all

taste was a bit chewy and certainly thick, maybe not like a milkshake but was heavier than i expected for sure

overall a good stout i would say but i prefer the more dry and crisp ones, still a good beer though

CapitolCrusher, Feb 09, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -1%

I had heard good things so I decided to give it a try.

it poured an espresso black/DEEP brown, with a two finger headthat FINALLY melted down to about a sixteenth of an inch for the rest of the drink, left great marking down the glass

the smell was... ok. didn't seem that great, but then again aroma smell has never been my strongest sense. big chocolatey aroma with some espresso undertones.

The taste would have been surprising had I not read reviews prior. It's good, let me say that. The rating will attest to that, it's just not exactly what I expected. A slightly higher hop profile than I'm used to, especially in a beer like this. I'm not usually a huge hop fan, but it works here, as the malts (my personal preference) are still able to make themselves heard. The chocolate tastiness is very welcoming.

It has a more forgiving moutfeel than a lot of comparable beers I've had. not nearly as coating, and smoothe, amazingly smoothe.

Drinkable. not as filling as some deep beers like this. A little more bitter than I would necessarily go for continuously, but hey, there's no accounting for taste right?

overall, a very enjoyable beer. Recommended, but not necessarily the end all be all some of my friends had made it out to be.

Edit:
(originals: 4.5/3.5/3.5/4.5/3.0)
So, in coming back to this after not having drank it in over three years (and the accompanying change in my palate and preference), I figured it was worth revisiting (especially since I have a six pack in my fridge right now).
In re-reviewing this beer I would add to the flavour profile in saying pointing out the presence of the alcohol flavour. It's not unpleasantyly overpowering, but it is certainly there. I don't know why I wasn't more prepared for the hoppy bitterness (oh the follys of youth...), but it's not out of character for an RIS.
Reading back over my previous review, I would highlight the mouthfeel. This is silky smoothe for an RIS. You can taste the fact that it is 9% but man oh man, it has such a creamy silky smoothness to it, and just disappears down the hatch beautifully (and joyfully).

I stand by my summary: this is a very well crafted beer. It is delicious, and a good entry into the style. Drink this beer. Try it at least. HOWEVER, it is not the panacea that I had it built up to be. Don't take that as a negative: THIS IS OBJECTIVELY A VERY VERY GOOD BEER, AND SHOULD BE DRUNK. Just don't go in expecting to have your life changed.

kemoarps, Feb 09, 2012

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Belgium Glass

A: Pitch black/no light shown though with 2.5 finger mocha colored head

S: Hops, coffee, chocolate, malts

T: Nice balance of hops and malt. Roasted coffee and chocolate.

M: Mild carbonation, creamy feel, bitter finish

O: A nice hoppy, imperial stout. The lacing on this beer was phenomenal.

MichiganderHB, Feb 08, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a deschutes tulipey/snifterey sorta glass. This beer is very dark. When held up to light I, like Sgt. Schultz, see nothing. At the very edge of my glass I can see rising carbonation. The rad is tan, almost brown and stands a half inch tall. The aroma is sweet and with bits of toast smell as I open the bottle. My nose was truly fooled into believing it was breakfast and my toast was ready. I get more of a chocolate smell after the beer is in the glass though. In the taste I first get a quick punch of bitterness right in the front of the tongue, followed by a smooth bittersweet chocolate. I also get soem roasted malts. The initial pop on the tongue confuses me, not sure if I like that or not. As the beer leaves the tongue I am left with a lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick, but has enough carbonation to prevent it from being too heavy.

gkunkle, Feb 08, 2012