Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,508 | Reviews: 2,590
4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Opaque black, even when held up to a 150 watt bulb. 1.5 inch rocky dark mocha head slowly settles to a thin incomplete cap of fine foam.

Initial nose is roasty coffee maltiness, with tons of underlying citric fruitiness. As the pint warms, the citric fruitiness develops into more recognizable hop aromas. With more time, the malt and hop integrate better and I pick up candied cherry, raisin, and some rummy notes, even a bit of good bready European licorice.

The hops are definitely up to the malt on the palate providing plenty of both flavor and bitterness to balance the beer. Very long and zingy on the finish. Licking my lips, I can taste the hop oils. It is the hops which really end up being the defining element of the beer for me tonight, which is amazing considering the huge amount of malt in this beer.

Quite a ride, and big thanks to MJR for sharing a bottle of this incredible beer with me.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer pours almost as thick as molasses, and just as black. The smell is complex, with a bit of just about everything! If the smell is complex, then the taste is even more so! Hints of hops mix with coffee and malt flavors......simply amazing. Slightly heavy in the mouthfeel department. All in all, I don't think I could drink more than a few of these, but I'd be really happy to try! A classic beer, and more than deserving of the praise it's received.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours like the black of night, not even the sun can get through. It has a strong cappicino smell. The taste is that of chocolate, coffee, and slight hints of nuts and fruits. Smooth and creamy to the mouth. I have not had a better drink. The flavor is robust. So much that I've changed the way I feel about other stouts I've tried. By far the most flavorful and life changing stout I've had.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

I was intrigued by the bottle. The simple label, with the bird, was he the storm king? I poured the beer into a glass. It was dark, very dark, with milk chocolate bubbles. My gaze returned to the bottle. The birds eyes were much like the beer, deep, penetrating. I took my first sip. Smooth, robust, coffee, excitement. Yes, excitement, the beer seemed to glide down my throat and nest in my stomach. Maybe this beer was enchanted, transformed from the bird. I would have to ponder this, of course over another Storm King....

I poured this beer, labeled 10/15/02, into a snifter. It poured a dark black body with a beautiful white/tan, almost purplish in the right light, head. It definitely could be mistaken for the foam of a mocha or cappuccino.

The nose to this beer was breathtaking. Hoppy, malty, chocolatly, slight coffee smells. just layer upon layer of aromas.

The initial taste is actually very subdued and mellow. Followed by a rush of intense stout flavors. Waves of chocolate, freshly roasted malts, toffee, subtle coffee, balanced hop bitterness, and even an earthy hop flavor that hints that this beer might be dry hopped.

The flavor takes it time to disappear. It lingers off into an even more impressive finish. This is when a lot of the coffee/espresso flavors come to the forefront and linger.

Overall this beer is quite amazing. It really reminds me of a combination of an imperial stout and barely wine. But, in my opinion, why this beer deserves an all 5 rating, is how perfectly balanced, and well crafted it is. All of the flavors are in your face, but none overpower the others. All of the tastes are so REAL; you can almost taste the coffee, the chocolate, or the roasted barley. Victory has really outdone themselves with this beer.

11/19/02 date code

Pours out black with a thin brown lacey head that stays till the end. Aroma was pretty much non existant, slight espresso and thats all. Taste on the other hand was totally different. Sweet malty taste, dark chocolate, espresso, raisins, some hops and little bitterness and last was the roasted after taste that sneeks up on you not overwhelming at all. Thick molases mouthfeel a slight carbonation on the tongue and a good drinkability. For the content of alcohol its a smooth brew and a lot smoother then most other Imperials that I've had. This is good.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Just a note: For whatever reason after I poured this i placed the cap back on the beer bottle. About a minute later it jumped off by itself!!! This beer says "Drink me". The black hole of beers. No light passes through, and I believe this beer would also make an effective radiation shield. No head to speak of, just a tan ring around the black surface. I smell coffee and fruit, just to name a few. This is one tasty stout!!! Pulls away from any other imperial i've had, this one is much more easy and enjoyable to drink. A nice mix of fruit & burnt malts, with a very tasty chocalate aftertaste that lingers, begging for another sip. Oh yeah, and it's full of hops too! Top notch beer. The best part about this brew is it's not too 'acidic' like many imperial stouts

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the better stouts I have tried in recent memory, but then again, I cannot remember everything.

It pours a deep and pitch-black color. The aroma speaks of the reward to come to the lips and tongue.. raspberry, coffee, mocha, and oh so super smooth. It is sweet and coffee-like with incredible creaminess on the palate. However it offers no unwanted heaviness as some stouts tend to do. If you can find it, it is well, and I mean WELL worth trying. Prost!

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a clear opaque red/brown with a large clingy dark tan head. The mouthfeel is thick and oily. The smell is smoky chocolate and herbal hops. The taste is smoky roasty malt with resiny grapefruit hops. A heavy strong stout with smooth somewhat deceptive alcohol.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Thick as oil, dark as a cave at midnight, with a deep, plummy aroma. The head struggles to the top and forms a deep, coffee-with-cream head -- one of the darkest I've ever seen on a stout. Lacing is moderate and spotty.

Important to let this guy warm up. Then you will taste the light, cheery, coffee notes, the spare hops tingle, the complicated interplay of half-defined tastes.

I prefer the Stone Imperial Stout myself, but this is a bruiser in its own right.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

"Bottled on Nov. 19, 2002"

Color was pretty darn black with café au lait colored head that stayed thin with thin bubbles. Had some nice lace that dissipated at a moderate pace. Smelled of an almost soft soapy bitterness, an almost espresso body. In general the nose was very soft and clean.

Flavored with a good hops character that was salty and citrusy but not too strong, the bitterness was delayed and toward the back of things. Some small nutty flavor, but in general the hops were more powerful than the malt here but not as much as, say, Old Rasputin. Had an almost creamy taste, a very smooth low-lactic flavored kind of cream. The mouthfeel was slightly soft and creamy on the tongue. The farther I get into this beer the richer the chocolate malt flavor becomes, every time, as well as major smacks of worn-down grapefruit hop flavors.

In all aspects of the beer this was a soft and drinkable version of an Imperial Stout. Pretty good.

*Much better aged, a couple months later I had a 1997 vintage, and it was much more smoother, well-blended, and its strong points (esp. the espresso-ness) were stronger. Also, much better on draught or cask.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Revisited : 6-25-03 Poured out very dark brownish black with a small light brown spongy head that faded away pretty fast, nice lacing in stringy patches.. Smells strongly of heavily roasted barley malts, black malts, burntness with sweet BBQ sauce or soy sauce, very dark and earthy and has some coffee, molasses, and licorice notes. The taste is quite good, lots of dark malts, black, chocolate, coffee, molasses with a bittering finish of strong fresh green hops. Feel is fairly robust, heavy bodied, and smooth with a solid roasted twang. A nice complex Imp. Stout. one to have again and again.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Okay, here goes my first review!

Had this brew on tap at Monk's in Philly. Being a local they serve this on tap for 2.50, a pitance when compared to the Belgium stuff they've got. And let me tell you, although its a completely different brew than say the Chimay White (I prefered SKS) I had just prior, this beer deserves to be poured with some of the best.

Great head and head retention for a stout. Sharp hoppy nose, like we have come to exspect from storm king. Apperance, black as a moonless night. I described the taste to another patron as imagining the deepest chocolate stout you've ever had and then adding a punchy hop finish to that. He tried one immediately, and I must say that, though my friend had been at Monk's for a few hours by that time, he was immediately impressed. I like this one better on tap than from the bottle though its a beer to get whenever you see it. The pinnacle of the Victory collection and a tribute to American Brewing.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

I had tasted this on tap several months ago, but only had a sample-sized half pint. Therefore, I was very excited to have a whole pint of this all to myself.

My Storm King was delivered by the wonderful bartender at Monk's in a tall pint glass. This is one of the darkest stouts I've ever seen. It's pretty much black. Dark black.

For those of you that are fans of the hop, this is the stout for you. There were hints of coffee, chocolate and mystery fruit. This is a very complex beer.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

this beer poured an amazing pich black with a small thin dark brown, tiny bubbl, head. it also depleted pretty fast. the aroma is of burnt wood, hickory, barbeque style, sweet malt and chocolate. the taste was much like the aroma. hickory, smoky malt, chocolate and carmel. medium-thick mouthfeel and body with a long lasting smoky malt aftertaste. the drinkablility was good.

Saved for my 300th Review.
Wow. Pours pitch black in color with what appears to be only an average sized tan colored head at first that continues to grow long after you’ve finished pouring and develops into a mountainous thick and creamy head. Several minutes after the head was fully formed, it still showed almost no signs of receding, and it coats the walls of the glass with heavy sheets of lace as you drink. The presence of hops is very apparent in the aroma along with notes of fresh espresso and chocolate liqueur. Very full-bodied with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Flavors of roasted malts and bitter-sweet chocolate are present up front followed by notes of buttery toffee, dark coffee, and a bit of liquorish. Some tastes of dark fruits also come along towards the end along with some bitter hop leaf flavors. The bitter hop oils and tannins remain in a lasting aftertaste. Very delicious. An absolutely incredible beer. Thanks to paceyourself for sending me this brew!

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Reviewed from a growler filled from the tap at the brew-pub.

Storm King poured opaque black with a red-brown head that didn't last long or leave much lacing. The aroma is burnt caramel, chocolate, coffee, and malt with a hint of hop spice. The taste starts with a sudden rush of chocolate tinged with some coffee and toffee flavors. This moves along to flavors of caramel and black malt with hints of roasted barley and hop bitterness. The finish is smooth with molasses and espresso flavors demanding your attention along with supporting roles played by subtle flavors of cardamom and citrus hops. Aftertaste is a lingering malt sweetness balanced with a hop and roasted malt bitterness and the first hints of alcohol. Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium-heavy to syrupy body. This one coats the inside of your mouth with stout happiness.
Overall an excellent stout. The tap version seems to have a wee bit less carbonation and a lot more chocolate flavor than the bottle version. Hop flavors seem to be more evident in the tap version also.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The Storm King Stout is in one word Black, I am holding this beer up to the light there are no ruby edges to it this beer is opaque no light passes through. To complement the darkness is a lighter tan head and for the alcohol percentage it pours quite nicely here starting to form a collar of lace above the head of the beer. The aroma is filled of hops and a dark roasted fullness of slightly burnt grain. Coffee like in flavor and aroma this beer blends perfectly in the mouth with the high ABV sending ripples through the espresso dark roasted barley with chocolate tones. This beer is amazing, from the appearance right down to drinkability!!!! The mouthfeel is full to medium in body with a creamy overall sensation to it. I could literally drink this stuff all the time, it's addicting!!! On the other hand I would get way to use to a beer that is 9.1% ABV and my palate would be full of dark roasts and unable to sense other flavors.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, so this stuff pours as black as india ink. So far, it lives up to its billing. The rather dark chocolate head settles very slowly, and there always remains a nice subtle rim that contrasts nicely to the deep, dark brew, which is about how I'd describe the smell--deep, with not too much overwhelming alcohol in spite of the 9.1% ABV. There is very little carbonation; the feel is soft in the mouth initially, and the immediate taste is understated, but as this stout settled in my mouth, many wonderful and complex tastes emerged. First, I noticed the woodpile taste (I like). Then a subtle mossy after flavor. Through it all, never did I get the sense I was drinking a highly-charged brew. The best thing about this is how much the feel and taste improve with each sip--maybe that's the alcohol content kicking in. A very good stout.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

Ever since I moved from NM to MN I've been depressed I can no longer (easily) get Rogue's Shakespeare Stout. Well, I've now found a brew that can make it all better.

This one pours with a thick, dark, creamy head that just won't quit. Like a nitro-canned Guiness, it takes a while to settle down because it keeps forming after the pour, trying its best not to dissipate. The smell is unexciting. The taste, however, is fantastic and that's what matters most. Plenty of hops but even more malt. It finishes sweet (but not sickly) and it stays with you for a long while. Mouthfeel could be a little more substantial, but that's me being picky.

I was so excited about this one I had to immediately grab a second bottle. Half way through that I was feeling pretty good and was somewhat surprised to see the 9.1% ABV number on the bottle! Like Duvel, the alcohol is hiding behind the other flavors, not making itself known until you feel its effects. This one is exceptionally easy to drink.

Now I need to get this in the same room with the Rogue and make them duke it out for My Favorite Beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The best word to describe this beer is "intense." I mean this in the best possible way - as all Imperial Stouts should be intense. The flavours are intense, the experience is intense, the alcohol is intense.... Wow.
Initial pour shows a nearly opaque black. Deep black. Total black. The head is thick, firm, tight bubbles, light foam. It's sticky and dark tan, a nice mocha colour even. The beer pours thick and almost chocolate syrup-like. Shockingly, the aroma is not that overwhelming, but rather quite balance and almost (dare I say it) subtle. You can smell the chocolate and the burnt coffee, but under it there is a strong roasted malt foundation and even some nice hoppiness.
Initial taste is of a thick, smooth, roasted malty, juicy, dark caramel, burnt espresso, deep, dark chocolate... Oh my. This is a good beer. Unlike many stouts, all this richness and sugar is balanced by a nice hoppy bite reminiscent of grapefruit. As the taste rolls over your tongue, this citric bitterness balances out as a result of a sweet, chocolatey aftertaste with heavy fruit undertones. Running throughout the palate experience is the warmth of the alcohol. Oh yes. The alcohol. This IS an Imperial after all, and it lets you know it. Final taste is of toasted grains and light, fading chocolate.
This is the shit. Oh my.
If you can find this beer - buy it.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

After seeing Storm King at #1 I had to go get me some. Although you have to pay an arm and a leg for any of Victory's brews, this one is worth it. While I haven't been a fan of imperials, this stout left me impressed. The beer is as black as they come, with an attractive thick brown head. Aroma was scarce at first but picked up as the beer warmed, mostly roasty dark malts featuring chocolate, licorice, smoke, and coffee aromas - half way I think I even dicovered a strong vanilla presence. The extra alcohol is always welcome, and is blended very well. I could drink this all night, or all day for that matter.

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%

The bottle came with "Bottled on Nov. 11, 02" on the label. It poured black as a tuxedo in a dark closet. It came topped with a dense, dark-brown head that had a lot of staying power. Dark roasted malt and hops aroma. All sorts of flavors, lots of hops, dark malt, bitter chocolate, Turkish coffee, cherry notes, citrus and alcohol tangs, all fighting the battle for supremacy on my happy tongue. Just like dinner with the Italian side of the family... Thicker mouthfeel than some other stouts I've tried, very luxurious, like rich Corinthian Leather. The finish goes on and on, like bitter chocolate and expresso, and some tanginess in there, too. Wow, this is definitely one of the most complex beers I've ever had! I'm not sure yet if I'm in LOVE with it, but I'm at least in "Like!"

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours black with a light brown head. The aroma is of fruity hops, and roasted malts with hints of chocolate. The flavor starts with a fruitiness that flows quickly to a roasty malt flavor. From there this full-bodied beer goes to a dry, hoppy, bitter finish. The bitter finish in this brew is intensified by the burnt malt flavors. It also has an alcoholic flavor in the finish. I really wasn’t expecting the fruitiness in this beer. Overall a great, complex beer with a plethora of flavors. I would definitely drink this one again. It has a bitterness that sticks with you.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Purchased in a 12oz brown bottle with the bottled on clearly marked on the front of the label -- well done -- Nov 11 02.

Poured an ominous pitch black beer, crowned with a thick mocha foam head; mixed, patchy and sticking. Retention, excellent. Thick and syrupy to the eye.

Quite subdued in the aroma. Notes of citric hops, big eathy nose, some mustiness and a softened roasted grain. Nothing special going on here, and certainly not when compared to the rest of the beer's characteristics.

The mouthfeel hits me upfront. It's thick, viscid, juicy and silky smooth. Malt character is complex with roasted, molasses, coffee, dark chocolate, bitty chicory, tree bark and earth. Sharp-ish hop character breaks through and melds with a roasted astringency. Flashes of citrus rind and a tight carbonation prick at the palate, balancing out the heavy dark malt characters.

There's an interesting fruity sweetness that pulls thru, that of cherries in syrup covered in dark chocolate and an edge of pineapple in the background ... adding even more layers to twist your mind with. Alcohol is warming and complements the citric hop characters with a decent dose of blended spice. Finish is try with roasted notes and grain.

Hell yeah! This is an outstanding stout ... flavourful, powerful and very drinkable for it's high ABV. I'll just leave it at that and recommend that all stout lovers give this beer a try.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company