Join our email list →

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,599 | Hads: 5,726

This is the first perfect score that I have given out. I had this perfect beer in a 12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a thick deep black with one finger of gorgeous caramel head. The head hsa a fair retention, and there is some lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich in roasted malt, coffee, and caramel with a bit of hops. The taste is a great blend of roasted coffee, molasses, and chocolate, and there are plenty of hops to balance it perfectly. The mouthfeel is very heavy, yet this brew is still very smooth. The drinkability is the best I've ever had in a stout, even at 9.1%. This is really the king of stouts!

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours thick like motor oil. Lightly carbonated with a little lacework. Black as onyx. Sweetish aroma. Chocolate, roast, licorise flavors. You can taste and then feel the alcohol. Finishes with a crazy bitterness that lingers in my mouth. Very nice indeed, a multidimensional treat. I usually go to IPAs for my hop fix but this will do just fine, thanks.

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%

First off, this has to be one of the best stouts I have ever tasted. My mouth starts watering the more that I think about it.

Right from the pour I knew I was in for a treat. The stuff came out black as midnight and looking thick as motor oil. (Bear with me, in my mind that can be a good thing) There were a good couple of inches worth of tan head at the top of the glass that just did not want to go away. It just does not look any better then that in my book.

Well, so far, so good time for that first sip…

Man, it hits you hard right away. The brew has big, big taste to it; very thick with a complete tug of war going on between the sweet and bitter flavors within. I’d love to see the reaction upon trying this of some of my friends who think that Guinness is a heavy beer. Storm King feels nice and viscous in my mouth with undertones of dark coffee and chocolate. This would be a great beer to warm you up on a cold night.

If you are a stout fan this beer is well worth seeking out. In my mind the Storm King has earned the crown.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm proud to make Victory Storm King my first official beer review. Ironically, I drove through a vicious lightening storm and mild flooding to buy this 6 pack. After drinking this brew, I would weather a tornado for another pint.

This beer pours rich and dark with a medium head characterized by chocolate and coffee highlights. Hops immediately hits the nose followed by a subtle hint of coffee maltiness.

The first taste is like an explosion in your mouth - complex and as original as an imperial stout can be. The spicy hop flavor excites the tongue and mellows with a dark malty flavor full of oak, coffee, and chocolate. The finish is smooth and clean with a hint of spice to keep you coming back for more.

An excellent brew that will always be welcome in my mug!

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

Looks like used motor oil in a glass, with a medium sized head. Hoppy, chocolate aroma followed by clean smooth flavor. Medium to thin consistency. No bitter aftertaste, but takes a sip or two to acclimate to the brew, but then it's excellent. Definitely one of the best!

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

12oz bottled on Jan 28 2003.

Pours black with a foamy, dark tan head. Aroma is surprisingly hoppy with coffee and chocolate undertones. Huge, bold mouthful. Taste is toasty chocolate malt and fruit, followed by a strong hop bitterness and just a hint of alcohol. Finish is dry and hoppy.

This brew had a much stronger hop presence than I'd expected. Luckily I'm a hop-head. This one's a winner. The label on the neck of the bottle reads "Victory - For Your Taste", and I wholeheartedly agree. One of the best beers I've ever had. Get some now.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

Wow. This is easily the best beer I've ever had. I love stouts and I love hops....therefore it makes sense that I love this Beer. There is probably no praise I can give this beer that has not been given before. Everything is perfection, or very near perfection. The near pitch black color, with the warm light brown abundant head call you forth to enjoy the warm smell of roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and hops. The taste is so complex and amazing i won't even attempt to write about it. I don't know how this beer has 9.1abv, I never got a sense of it, and if i had more than one i would have gladly consumed as many as possible.

Quite simply if you have not had this beer, go find it, and you too will fall in love with it.

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Bottled on Oct. 15th, 2002. It pours like black syrup or motor oil, 100% opaque with a large creamy tan head that laces wonderfully. The aroma is full of roasted barley and hops. There is definitely a sign of serious hop character in this brew. But before the hops kick in, you're treated to some chocolate, coffee, and just an all around sweet roastiness. And then hops come in for an amazing finish that makes you beg for more. The alcohol is mellow but definitely there throughout consumption. And it's great. Everything about this wonderful stout is gargantuan and robust as hell.....a truly perfectly balanced and drinkably strong stout. As a stout lover, I think this is the perennial fallback imperial, as long as they keep it the way it is.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours an almost inky color. It has a small head that is light brown in color. It dissapates quickly. A bit of caramel and coffee to the nose. Very full body to the beer, almost "thick". Somewhat roasty, not as much as some others. A hint of sweetness, chocolate and a good hop bite. The alchohol is not evident at all. This is excellent!

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a thin, but creamy off-white head. The beer is solid black. The aroma is slighly sweet and a little hoppy. Fantastic taste. Grainy and complex. The alcohol taste lingers a bit, but it's still very drinkable. A tiny bit is lost in the bottle (compared to tap) but it's still an amazing beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

This full bodied brew w/ its chocolate & espresso flavors is wonderful. It is a well balanced beer. Very enjoyable. Any discussion or review of Imperial Stouts must include storm king. Once again Victory has a world class brew. Originally reviewed 1 January 2002

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

an 01'-02' cellared treat...thanks frank!
storm king pours out an opaque midnight black, with a foamy tan head that dies down to clingy lace. definite nose of northwest hops...oh baby i'm getting the chills from just smelling this stuff. aromas of chocolate and caramel maltiness follow...definitely awesome. malted barley flavours such as chocolate, caramel and java hail upon my tastebuds...the thunderous citric northwest hoppy goodness clouds my senses. hops are strong in the profile, and since this one has been aged...i'm assuming fresh storm king must be a bitter tornadic hop monster. the alcohol is next to rain down upon my tastebuds...all this big sensory stimulation rides the lightening right down my throat. silky smooth and utterly drinkable...like a rainbow to the bottom of my stomach. while storm king may leave a trail of destruction in it's path...i found it to rebuild my attitude towards what an imperial stout may represent. brutal in it's severity...but rewarding in it's wake. oh my what a beer!
a blizzard of thanks to frank4sail for the sample!!

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Opaque black, even when held up to a 150 watt bulb. 1.5 inch rocky dark mocha head slowly settles to a thin incomplete cap of fine foam.

Initial nose is roasty coffee maltiness, with tons of underlying citric fruitiness. As the pint warms, the citric fruitiness develops into more recognizable hop aromas. With more time, the malt and hop integrate better and I pick up candied cherry, raisin, and some rummy notes, even a bit of good bready European licorice.

The hops are definitely up to the malt on the palate providing plenty of both flavor and bitterness to balance the beer. Very long and zingy on the finish. Licking my lips, I can taste the hop oils. It is the hops which really end up being the defining element of the beer for me tonight, which is amazing considering the huge amount of malt in this beer.

Quite a ride, and big thanks to MJR for sharing a bottle of this incredible beer with me.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer pours almost as thick as molasses, and just as black. The smell is complex, with a bit of just about everything! If the smell is complex, then the taste is even more so! Hints of hops mix with coffee and malt flavors......simply amazing. Slightly heavy in the mouthfeel department. All in all, I don't think I could drink more than a few of these, but I'd be really happy to try! A classic beer, and more than deserving of the praise it's received.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours like the black of night, not even the sun can get through. It has a strong cappicino smell. The taste is that of chocolate, coffee, and slight hints of nuts and fruits. Smooth and creamy to the mouth. I have not had a better drink. The flavor is robust. So much that I've changed the way I feel about other stouts I've tried. By far the most flavorful and life changing stout I've had.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

I was intrigued by the bottle. The simple label, with the bird, was he the storm king? I poured the beer into a glass. It was dark, very dark, with milk chocolate bubbles. My gaze returned to the bottle. The birds eyes were much like the beer, deep, penetrating. I took my first sip. Smooth, robust, coffee, excitement. Yes, excitement, the beer seemed to glide down my throat and nest in my stomach. Maybe this beer was enchanted, transformed from the bird. I would have to ponder this, of course over another Storm King....

I poured this beer, labeled 10/15/02, into a snifter. It poured a dark black body with a beautiful white/tan, almost purplish in the right light, head. It definitely could be mistaken for the foam of a mocha or cappuccino.

The nose to this beer was breathtaking. Hoppy, malty, chocolatly, slight coffee smells. just layer upon layer of aromas.

The initial taste is actually very subdued and mellow. Followed by a rush of intense stout flavors. Waves of chocolate, freshly roasted malts, toffee, subtle coffee, balanced hop bitterness, and even an earthy hop flavor that hints that this beer might be dry hopped.

The flavor takes it time to disappear. It lingers off into an even more impressive finish. This is when a lot of the coffee/espresso flavors come to the forefront and linger.

Overall this beer is quite amazing. It really reminds me of a combination of an imperial stout and barely wine. But, in my opinion, why this beer deserves an all 5 rating, is how perfectly balanced, and well crafted it is. All of the flavors are in your face, but none overpower the others. All of the tastes are so REAL; you can almost taste the coffee, the chocolate, or the roasted barley. Victory has really outdone themselves with this beer.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

11/19/02 date code

Pours out black with a thin brown lacey head that stays till the end. Aroma was pretty much non existant, slight espresso and thats all. Taste on the other hand was totally different. Sweet malty taste, dark chocolate, espresso, raisins, some hops and little bitterness and last was the roasted after taste that sneeks up on you not overwhelming at all. Thick molases mouthfeel a slight carbonation on the tongue and a good drinkability. For the content of alcohol its a smooth brew and a lot smoother then most other Imperials that I've had. This is good.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

Just a note: For whatever reason after I poured this i placed the cap back on the beer bottle. About a minute later it jumped off by itself!!! This beer says "Drink me". The black hole of beers. No light passes through, and I believe this beer would also make an effective radiation shield. No head to speak of, just a tan ring around the black surface. I smell coffee and fruit, just to name a few. This is one tasty stout!!! Pulls away from any other imperial i've had, this one is much more easy and enjoyable to drink. A nice mix of fruit & burnt malts, with a very tasty chocalate aftertaste that lingers, begging for another sip. Oh yeah, and it's full of hops too! Top notch beer. The best part about this brew is it's not too 'acidic' like many imperial stouts

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the better stouts I have tried in recent memory, but then again, I cannot remember everything.

It pours a deep and pitch-black color. The aroma speaks of the reward to come to the lips and tongue.. raspberry, coffee, mocha, and oh so super smooth. It is sweet and coffee-like with incredible creaminess on the palate. However it offers no unwanted heaviness as some stouts tend to do. If you can find it, it is well, and I mean WELL worth trying. Prost!

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours a clear opaque red/brown with a large clingy dark tan head. The mouthfeel is thick and oily. The smell is smoky chocolate and herbal hops. The taste is smoky roasty malt with resiny grapefruit hops. A heavy strong stout with smooth somewhat deceptive alcohol.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Thick as oil, dark as a cave at midnight, with a deep, plummy aroma. The head struggles to the top and forms a deep, coffee-with-cream head -- one of the darkest I've ever seen on a stout. Lacing is moderate and spotty.

Important to let this guy warm up. Then you will taste the light, cheery, coffee notes, the spare hops tingle, the complicated interplay of half-defined tastes.

I prefer the Stone Imperial Stout myself, but this is a bruiser in its own right.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

"Bottled on Nov. 19, 2002"

Color was pretty darn black with café au lait colored head that stayed thin with thin bubbles. Had some nice lace that dissipated at a moderate pace. Smelled of an almost soft soapy bitterness, an almost espresso body. In general the nose was very soft and clean.

Flavored with a good hops character that was salty and citrusy but not too strong, the bitterness was delayed and toward the back of things. Some small nutty flavor, but in general the hops were more powerful than the malt here but not as much as, say, Old Rasputin. Had an almost creamy taste, a very smooth low-lactic flavored kind of cream. The mouthfeel was slightly soft and creamy on the tongue. The farther I get into this beer the richer the chocolate malt flavor becomes, every time, as well as major smacks of worn-down grapefruit hop flavors.

In all aspects of the beer this was a soft and drinkable version of an Imperial Stout. Pretty good.

*Much better aged, a couple months later I had a 1997 vintage, and it was much more smoother, well-blended, and its strong points (esp. the espresso-ness) were stronger. Also, much better on draught or cask.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Revisited : 6-25-03 Poured out very dark brownish black with a small light brown spongy head that faded away pretty fast, nice lacing in stringy patches.. Smells strongly of heavily roasted barley malts, black malts, burntness with sweet BBQ sauce or soy sauce, very dark and earthy and has some coffee, molasses, and licorice notes. The taste is quite good, lots of dark malts, black, chocolate, coffee, molasses with a bittering finish of strong fresh green hops. Feel is fairly robust, heavy bodied, and smooth with a solid roasted twang. A nice complex Imp. Stout. one to have again and again.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Okay, here goes my first review!

Had this brew on tap at Monk's in Philly. Being a local they serve this on tap for 2.50, a pitance when compared to the Belgium stuff they've got. And let me tell you, although its a completely different brew than say the Chimay White (I prefered SKS) I had just prior, this beer deserves to be poured with some of the best.

Great head and head retention for a stout. Sharp hoppy nose, like we have come to exspect from storm king. Apperance, black as a moonless night. I described the taste to another patron as imagining the deepest chocolate stout you've ever had and then adding a punchy hop finish to that. He tried one immediately, and I must say that, though my friend had been at Monk's for a few hours by that time, he was immediately impressed. I like this one better on tap than from the bottle though its a beer to get whenever you see it. The pinnacle of the Victory collection and a tribute to American Brewing.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown