Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reanimator

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours the deepest coffee black with a rather lean head. Smells surprisingly hoppy, giving way to chocolatey malts and molasses, honey even. Very complex and satisfying aroma. Taste is also particularly hoppy up front, with big hits of tobacco, bitter coffee and sweet espresso. Even some peaty, piney scotch flavors in there. And to top it off, 9.4% and barely a hint of alcohol!

The mouthfeel is oddly fitting for a hoppy RIS, whatever that is supposed to mean. Overall, Storm King is a HUGELY drinkable, massively satisfying and complex beer, I'm just afraid of where more than a couple of these beasts will lead me.

04-21-2009 02:10:42 | More by Reanimator
ClockworkOrange

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into my nonic pint glass. Appears nearly opaque black color with about two fingers of dense tan foam. The foam lingers through just about the entire first half of the glass, leaving a nice lacing. Smells and tastes of fruity, citrusy hops, sweet caramelized and roasted malts/grains, bittersweet chocolate, and fresh coffee. Just about full bodied with medium carbonation. I personally dig a good hoppy stout once in a while, and this made for a nice sipper.

04-20-2009 02:45:24 | More by ClockworkOrange
PSUBeerman

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz bottle, Stone tulip glass

Pours a rich black nearly opaque color with a tan foamy head. Head had nice retention and lacing.

Aroma of hops and some roasted malt. Not the strongest aroma for an imperial stout.

Flavor is nice with hints of chocolate sweetness, coffee and roasted malts. Also a decent flavor of hop bitterness. It is well blended. This was subtle as far as flavor, nothing was overly pronounced. Alcohol is slightly noticeable.

This was fairly drinkable considering it is not too viscous or thick.

04-20-2009 01:52:10 | More by PSUBeerman
bum732

Lesotho

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a super dark black, nice light tan bubbly head leaving amazing lacing. Smells of grassy and piney hops, very little roasty malts, some earthiness, . Tastes of tropical fruit malts up front followed by slight roastiness in the end. Moderate bitterness leaving a semi-sweet chocolate, roasty and fruity finish. Nice creamy mouthfeel through out.

A very unique RIS. Lot of fruit characteristics throughout, both dark fruits and citrus from the hops. The hops are extremely prominent in this beer, would love to see how age affects it. That said, the chocolate and roasty malt melds well with the fruit producing a relatively clean and not too heavy RIS. Very impressive.

04-19-2009 04:52:33 | More by bum732
IMincedTheKing

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours an opaque dark brown with a one finger tan head and decent lacing.

The smell of bitter hops jumped from the bottle before I could even pour it. There's also a faint hint of sweet chocolate.

Tastes of hops, chocolate and coffee with a sweet finish. The rindy hops detract from the flavor. In the mouth, it's crisp and thin, but holds up a very strong flavor.

Overall, I think it's overhopped and overcarbonated. Not a bad beer, but not for me.

04-19-2009 02:03:31 | More by IMincedTheKing
Larrytown

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Pours a deep brown with a light tan head. The nose has a nice roasted malt up front with hints of chocolate and some mild hops.

The taste is similar. Surprisingly crisp for a RIS. The hops do a nice job of adding an unexpected kick to it. An interesting take on the style. I feel like a tiny bit of sweetness could take this to another level; as it is, there's not any to be found.

Very nice beer overall, but if I'm the mood for a stout, I'd probably go in a different direction.

04-18-2009 15:42:36 | More by Larrytown
tmoneyba

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a black color with a medium light brown head that diminished slowly with good lacing. Complex aroma of toffee, coffee, smoke and alcohol. Full body with creamy texture and flat carbonation. Full flavor that is very complex with a strong alcohol finish.

I love strong stouts.

04-18-2009 13:34:02 | More by tmoneyba
Birdiebeagle

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle Pours a dark brown with a good creamy tan head. The head lasts well and laces nicely. This is a very good looking beer. Has a good aroma of cocoa. Slight ops, roastedness, and wood. Every time I spin the glass I get more. Bitter coffee. Has a perfect carbination and an awesome mouthfeel. Flavors are wonderful. Has a great mix of malts and hops. Has a last good finish. The alcohol is well hidden with a perfect touch of burn. Has an almost dry texture. This is just an awesome beer. I can't believe I haven't had this before...Victory is in my backyard. I won't make that mistake I am going to stock up on this.

04-15-2009 21:09:59 | More by Birdiebeagle
Ragingbull

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Black in color with a light brown foam head. The nose is very malty. I found the initial attack and the taste to be pretty consistent with the nose. I would have to use the word "big" to describe this beer though it isn't as big as most "big" beers. What I think qualifies it as big for me is that it carries the high alcohol reasonably well without being too "boozy." I did enjoy the smokiness and the roasted malt character, but it was just "alright" for me.

04-15-2009 17:45:42 | More by Ragingbull
brow1901

4.53/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours an opaque pitch black with a dense kaki color head. This head is going no where by the way it has hardly even shrunk, nice lacing too.

S- Strong scents of dark malts waft in, instead of just a hint of coffee I get a rush of burnt espresso. And wow a good amount of pine hops in the nose also. Some alcohol esters too but nothing overpowering. The smell is good but a bit lack luster compared to some other RIS.

T&M- This is where the brew shines, an amazingly complex rush of flavors strike the palate instantly. There is all this malt going on , coffee, dark chocolate. And then the hops jump out of nowhere and hits the back of the tongue. The pineness of the hops balance the amazing malt flavors perfectly. The mouth is a little slick but leaves a pleasant coco taste.

D- Wow this beer is really good so enjoyable. I recommend letting her warm a bit though.

04-14-2009 02:01:19 | More by brow1901
endincolorado

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- Black with thick tan head that settles slowly. Great lacing. Delicious-looking yeasty sediment.

Smell- Good, roasted malt aroma. Slight alcohol.

Taste- Rich cocoa, a light smokiness, toasty malt, nice hop bitterness helps make this refreshing for the style. Slight alcoholic kick.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, great carbonation. Could be a little thicker.

Drinkability- Alcohol is evident, but hops help this remain a refreshing and drinkable brew.

04-13-2009 21:48:53 | More by endincolorado
sweetbrew82

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz. bottle/ Best by Oct. 16 2013

P: The deep leathery brown liquid exits the bottle to form a jet black pool of delicious looking beer in my glass. The 2 fingered head that sits atop looks exactly the same color as wet sand. It's thick and creamy with good retention, settling to a thin sheet while leaving strings of lace behind. Good looking Stout!

A: Deep roasted barley, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and citric hops underneath. There is some alcohol present as well.

T: First of all, this needs to be imbibed at as close to room temperature as possible! Drinking this too cold is doing it a major disservice. The deeply roasted barley is sweet, but has a burnt bitterness to it as well. Chocolate, molasses, and charred wood are all present, but the hops are what makes this stand out for me. It kind of reminds me of Big Bear Black Stout in that sense. Being a certified hophead, I can definitely appreciate their citrusy goodness. Sweet and bitter engage in an epic struggle, but the bitterness wins out in the end thanks to that huge hop bill, slightly burnt barley, and some black coffee that really comes out on the tail end for quite the dry finish. The alcohol is a bit hot, but isn't detrimental to the experience.

M: In my opinion, Storm King's mouthfeel is just perfect! It's a full-bodied, viscious beer with a thick & creamy, rich & oily-feeling texture that almost feels like an old-fashioned chocolate milkshake in my mouth. Having said that, it still manages to stay light on its feet, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Notes: This is a great beer! From my understanding, the best before dates are 5 years after bottling. This would mean that this beer was bottled only 6 months ago. For such a young RIS, it feels really refined and delicious. With some time to hibernate in my cellar, it could be out of this world! Highly recommended

04-13-2009 06:31:02 | More by sweetbrew82
pandashaver

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Beautiful 2 finger brown frothy head and opaque black body. Painted a picture on the side of the snifter all the way down and lasted to some extent throughout.

S - Roasted/toasty malts and an almost berry sweet smell were present initially, definitely the reason I loved this beer the first time I tried it. Definitely chocolate, but of the darker variety. Distinct and interesting for sure.

T - Very moderately sweet from the malts balanced with a balanced bitter aftertaste, like baker's chocolate. Even a bit sour and a definitive alcohol is present, at least after it warms. Finish is present and average to somewhat long in length. Not overwhelming, with lots of potential for food pairing.

M - Light to medium body (not filling whatsoever for such a complex beer). Texture is dry, but not too dry, and somewhat watery and a bit of syrup stickiness left on the palate. Very softly carbonated and the alcohol is noticeable at higher temperatures.

D - Well, due to the ABV alone, not very. But, due to the light body, interesting flavors, and food pairing potential, very drinkable for an imperial stout.

04-11-2009 03:18:37 | More by pandashaver
infestaxion

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I'm so glad we can get this in Indiana now. I've had it once before and remember loving it.

A - Pours nice and think with a dark mocha head. A nice black beer and the head is hanging around a bit.

S - Typical RIS smells coming through. Good malty backbone, chocolate and coffee. A nice layer of hops coming through a bit.

T - Strong coffee bitterness first and foremost but underneath it is a bit of sweet caramel-like malt. Good hoppy finish to it.

M - Not as thick as I expected when I poured it but still nice.

D - The alcohol is well hidden with just a bit of warmth in the chest. I could easily take a couple of these out.

04-11-2009 02:13:20 | More by infestaxion
tigg924

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance: black, 1/2 inch head

Smell:burnt malt, coffee, faint chocolate--not overly strong a smell

Taste: dark coffee, chocolate, burnt malt, alcohol, and hops

Mouthfeel: very very dry, thick, bitter, smooth, medium heavy body

Drinkability: This one is super dry. With the high ABV I could only drink one. I can see how people would love this, but the taste on this one did not agree with me. I do not see this as being as complex as others I have tried. There are several other RIS that I will reach for first.

04-09-2009 14:50:17 | More by tigg924
TheMistler

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark, dark brown, basically black. Not as thick or viscous as some Imperial Stouts... is it weird that I'm slightly disappointed by that? Pours with a good amount of dark tan head, millet-y, composed of rather large bubbles. Settles to thick, creamy cap with a hearty ring and lots of sticky spider web lacing.

Tangy chocolatey bread nose. Grains. Light roasted notes. Hops.

Dark chocolate notes interact with cocoa nibs. Coffee comes in, subsiding only to be replaced by a nice, unique roasted hop flavor. In fact, there is a bevy of hops in this here stout. Leafy, and pretty bitter. Some alcohol drying at end. Everyone seems to mention the balance of malt and hops. This is not what I'm looking for in an RIS. I'm looking for malt heavy, and this beer is that. It is also doused with a good bit of hops, however.

When cold, the carbonation is quite crisp. Upon warming, this is a creamy, medium to full bodied brew. Maybe not "easy drinking," given the heaviness of the flavor, but the ABV is well hidden and it goes down easy.

04-09-2009 01:54:26 | More by TheMistler
Source

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Served ontap in a snifter.

A: Opaque. 2mm head disipates quickly to a nice lacing ring.
S: Coffee, chocolate, slight alcohol.
T: Extremely well balaced with similar flavors.
M and D: For a high ABV RIS this goes down too well. Flavors linger on the tongue.

My favorite local RIS.

04-06-2009 23:40:57 | More by Source
goatxpower

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

Got got a bottle in a recent trade. I will say that I served it too cold, initially, but let it warm as I washed dishes for an hour.

A- Pitch black with a big chocolate-tan head.

S- not much. Some roast and coffe, some hops. I actually tried so hard to smell it , that I got a nostril full of beer.

T- Very dry for a RIS. Dry roast, black coffie, strong hop bitterness, slight astringency. Malt became a little more pronounced as it warmed. Some noticable heat from the alcohol. I had high hopes for this beer, but was slightly disapointed.

M- Thick and oily. Slid down the back of the throat.

D- Maybe I'll try it again sometime. But one's enough for me right now.

04-06-2009 22:38:06 | More by goatxpower
Hoppington

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Beware the STORM KING! Forget "Imperial" - This is an EPIC stout - giant in stature and legendary in taste. This stout just has it all - perfect hop and malt balance (both ends being rather extreme) - chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a touch of smoke (to name a few).

I have to say that this is currently my favorite stout. Awesome label design too. It's got a mules kick in terms of ABV, but its complex and rich flavors mask it well.

This is a "must-drink" beer to try for those that like complex stouts. It gets an A from me, but I would love to see a bourbon barrel aged version as a special release perhaps.

04-05-2009 02:23:00 | More by Hoppington
brokenleadedcask

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle dated best by 02-13-2013

As I poured this into my trusted imperial pint this beer has the usual characteristics of an imperial stout. Deep dark brown to black color with medium brown one finger head. There are simultaneous nutty and hoppy smells emanating from the glass. Once it warms the subtleties are released and include notes of chocolate and caramel. Are you sure this is a imperial stout? There is such a hop presence in the tasting of this, if it was a blind tasting, I would've said black IPA. Brilliant balance of malt and hops, it adds a punch of bitterness on the palette. This does have an ever so slight grit to it but doesn't take enough away from it to be a problem.

04-04-2009 04:01:44 | More by brokenleadedcask
Imsothirsty

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Served at a restraunt too cold, but they did serve it in a tulip like glass, much appreciated.

Appearance: Its dark obviously, medium thin brown head. I love the bottle

Smell: I get mostly coffee notes and some molasses smell, a little bit choclatey, very nice

Taste: More chocolate and molasses than I expected interesting balance with the coffee flavor. The alcohol is definitely noticable, finishes with some coffee, mostly molasses and maybe some raisins?

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, hold it in your mouth and let it warm up, fairly heavy but not very thick.

I bottle at a time is definitely enough, but I could be satisfied with 2.
This is just a good beer with a different balance in flavors than Im used to (less than average coffee). I will definitely drink it again.

04-02-2009 13:51:58 | More by Imsothirsty
MPLS

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember this being one of the first imperial stouts I've ever had. Decided to purchase it again, just a single this time around.

A: Nice coal-black, a billowy thin 4 cm head that erupted from a gentle pour. Head dissipated quickly. Good initial lacing, really adheres to the clean glass.

S: Lots of roast, coffee bitterness, alcohol, hint of floral hops.

T: Big bad roast, very burnt tasting, with some floral hop, dirt, and an unpleasant harsh alcohol astrigency. Reminds me of my first homebrewed porter.

M: Medium bodied, with enough to carbonation to make it sharp on the tongue. Where da viscosity?

D: Rubbing alcohol and meets roasted dirt. I will pass on this one the next time I see it, unless it's free.

I remember thinking this beer was a delicious beast, but roasted dirt with an alcohol chaser might now be for me.

03-30-2009 06:47:30 | More by MPLS
alcstradamus

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Pours a pitch black with no visible highlights. Tan head about one finger tall. Didn't get much lacing to speak of.

S--Mostly caramel and cocoa, there was a wonderful sweetness here that I really thought put it over the edge. Great smelling beer

T-Big roasted malts and a bit of dark chocolate dominate. Lots of hop bitterness on the tongue to help even things out. Very well balanced, but it doesn't have that one standout feature to put it over the top

M--Relatively thin but the carbonation feels great on the tongue

D--Didn't take long to put away the 12 oz. bottle and could see myself drinking a few of these in a sitting

03-30-2009 04:08:40 | More by alcstradamus
MikeTaz

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Poured dark and thick. Started off with a nice head which quickly dissapated.

Smell - Deep roast aroma, very nice.

First taste was a heavy roast malt with hints of coffee. Aftertaste is a dry hoppy feeling which I usually don't like but wasn't overpowering in this beer.

I wouldn't have more than one or two at a time, but is a nice one to mix in. I think it would go well with a rich dessert or a bacon and blue burger.

03-30-2009 00:13:08 | More by MikeTaz
Magpie14

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

A: a moonless back and inky color when in the glass. The pour exposed dark browns and dusty pecan hues. Head was large and in charge powered by a dense lather of mocha colored foam. My glass was littered with mocha colored slabs and rings of foam

S: smells of dark chocolate syrup, open fire roasted malts, and espresso all with adamant smells of green flaky cones. The greens smell of the citrus and floral type, very clean and earthy hop smells

T: within my glass exists an absolute contradiction...is this possible? This beer houses dark, I mean dark, chocolate notes swirled with burnt caramel crusted fire cooked malts. Flavors are of a dark pungency like no other. Great roasted flavors also portray a splendid espresso bean penchant that is top notch. The flavors are powerfully dark and in control, never to much. The hops play a huge role in keeping things from getting out of control and provide a soft tangy finish that my mouth begs for more drink. This is by far the best interplay between hops and a rich 'n' tasty stout that I have ever had

I remember having this beer some time ago, before my BA days, and I never really thought much about it. Not sure how that is possible? this beer is a monster!
Imagine this with bacon and eggs in the morning or even late night with a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream, wow!

M: this has to be one of the best bodies for a stout to date. Creamy, rich, succulent, and smooth. It is very heavy and maintains a viscous character throughout. I want to say "syrupy" but that always seems to take a condescending vibe, but it is damn close. Chew me please!

D: an absolute monster stout of great proportions. I poured this beer and Jeff Beck's Wired album came on and it was the most incredible pairing. Thanks Victory Brewing Company!

03-29-2009 22:02:45 | More by Magpie14