Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz. brown bottle. Freshness date is printed on front label.

A: Pours blackness like a storm. A large fluffy dark tan head. Lacing and retention is brilliant.

S: Aroma is a little different. Almost like it's dirty or ripe. Roasted malts are most noticeable.

T/M: Wow! So much going on I don't know where to begin. Malts are roasted and coffee like with chocolate. Th hops pop out and are earthy. Carbonation hits the tongue and tingles. Sweetness is fruity, and alcohol is warming with it's higher ABV. The finish is a mixture of bitter and dryness.

D: Excellent to say the least. Not like the typical stout, but that's where it flourishes. Very easy to drink even with the 9.1 ABV. High recommendation.

Cheers!!!!

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours pitch black with a thick coffee colored head.

S: Nice roast aroma, some coffee, earthy hops and alcohol fill the nose.

T: Distinct malt profile of roasted malt, coffee , and charcoal/burnt flavors all take a ride on huge piney hop flavor and bitterness, warmth from alcohol, slightly boozy.

M: Full bodied and bitter, under carbonation produces a creamy beer.

D: A delicious and slightly different interpretation of an imperial stout in the form of the huge hop profile. I have had 3 year old bottles and it is fantastic, this beer gets an A with a little age.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a strange stout. It has a lingering hop taste to it. I cant tell if I really like it or if it is just ok. at first taste it is not as good as some of the other Imperial Stouts I have had but the more I sip, the more I start to like this one. All I can say it is a little different, but good.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

(Bottle into english pint) Poured a silky black with a 1.5 finger light brown head that hung on for most of the glass, only slowly falling throughout. First aromas were of roasted coffee and a hint of molasses. Unfortunately the taste didn't really live up to the nose. I was almost floored by the bitterness of the beer at first sip, the hops completely overwhelming everything else (A Vctory trademark I hear)! I like a nice bitter bite, but this was a punch and lingered for quite a while after. I did let this one rest and took my time with it, however (9.1% will do that, though why the ABV needs to be that high is beyond me). the hop bitterness DID mellow over the time, allowing more of the subtle coffee and some chocolaty notes come through with the hops in their desired place -- giving that ending small bite.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Handpumped from cask into pint glass at Victory Brewing Company bar.

Appearance -Black with a thick, dark tan head that held on strongl and left copious, clumping foam behind.

Smell - Chocolate, dark roasted malt, spicy/earthy hops. Seems to carry a bit more punch than the draft version but not much.

Taste - Deep roasted malt, rich bitter chocolate, a bit of espresso roast, licorice and earthy hop bite.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied--seemingly lighter in feel than the draft version but not in a negative way. Super rich and smooth. This is a great feeling brew.

Drinkability - I forget how much I love this beer on cask....and then I have one and I am like, "Why the hell has it been so long since I have had one of these?" This is the kind of beer that can get a person in trouble....goes down WAY to easy!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

hoppy stout? yes please. the only other stout i have tasted that had beautiful citrus aromas like this was black sun from three floyds. world class. it's just a great stout in general with a surprise party of piney smells. victory can be a bit hit and miss so i love to see this one come out. chocolate roast and go hops!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

a: pours as a typical opaque black stout, deep and murky with healthy tan head...

s: wait, this is a stout?!! fairly strong citrus hops jump at me to such a degree that the faint maltiness can barely be detected...

t: citrus turning to mild pepper hops dominate the taste up front combines with a smoky backdrop of maltiness..

m: peppery with a sourish aftertaste from the citrus, rich but well balanced...

d: this is not at all what i expected...never had a RIS that tasted like this before, but l'm not altogether disappointed either. While this seems out of place in the RIS category, this is an excellent beer by whatever categorized name it falls under and I'll drink it again with no trouble...

salud!

4.03/5  rDev -1%

This one was bottled on Dec 4, 09 and sampled on January 6, 2010. The pour is a thick dark brown to nearly black with around a half-inch of frothy light brown head. Floral hops really jump out from the aroma and there is little in the way of chocolate malts as you might expect in a stout. The body is full and decent. Hops are the leading element in the taste with a background of chocolate malts but you have to wait for those to kick in. It leaves sour aftertaste in my mouth. It is a little too hoppy for the kinds of stouts I prefer but it has its own likeable character.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Thick black with a big head that settles and laces.

Smell - Lots of hops, burnt malts, bitter chocolate and something that I can't place but seems a bit off. Maybe the yeast?

Taste - Burnt malts, dark chocolate, coffee with a long lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, a full body with some carbonation.

Could almost be a IPA if you didn't see the beer. The thick black liquid gives it away ;)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

"Enjoy by Apr 27 12"

A - Black as night. Medium-brown head. Fluffy but fades quickly. Alcohol sticks to the glass like glue.

S - Heavily roasted malt, alcohol.

T - Lots of roasted & coffee malts, slight alcohol throughout but not overpowering. A warming quality. Ferrous. Dark chocolate.

M/D - Smooth, clean, barely any carbonation. Very enjoyable and a solid Imperial Stout.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Got this in a beer-swap with Michael, taken from a case.

I've always heard good things about Victory, and the fact that they're sorta local helps. I've also heard they are a bit hoppy, which I tasted in this beer. I drank this only a couple days after a Long Trail Imperial Stoudt, which unfortunately is what I was hoping for. The after-taste of the hops detracted from the taste, as my preference is a more smooth beer.

Overall a quality beer, one that I would not pass up if offered, but not something I would order/purchase on my own.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Pitch black brew with a thick, solid head that last nicely.

Well... if I was blindfolded and knowing what beer this was, I'd have guessed on a well hopped IPA containing some roasted malts, this is really hoppy, don't think I've ever encountered an imperial stout this hoppy before. But I like it! The first thing you get is obviously a huge hop prescense, but behind it are some nice and mellow notes of roasted malts along with a fudgy maltiness with a small sling of chocolate at the edges. A nice combination, but it gets a little sickish in the long run.

Taste starts off brutally with lots of sweet grassy and resiny hops, but seamlessly over into an almost as huge, but not as sweet, roasted malt-onslaught, with dark bitter chocolate and fudge and a hint of liqourice. Finishes off really bitter, with both hop-bitterness, and bitterness from the roasted malt.

Carbonation is slightly too stingy for me, but overall it 's okay in the mouth.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

I haven't had too many RIS, but heard good things about Storm King. Figured I'd give it a shot.

A: From the bottle poured a deep black with a tiny tan head with virtually no lacing. Pretty decent and intense looking brew.

S: Malt and bitter chocolate is prominent with some hops in there.

T: Lots of bitter, unsweetened chocolate with a malty and hoppy background. I was expecting a sweeter profile, but this is pretty good anyhow. Just not exactly what I expected.

M: Highly carbonated and dry with a slight prickly finish, probably due to the high ABV.

D: I could drink a few of these, but after three I'd probably look to drink something else.

On tap at Romans. Poured into my pint glass the beer is pitch black with a small one finger chocolate colored head. Moderate lace rings are left after settling.

The aroma is rather hoppy. Once past the hops you get chocolate, coffee, molasses, dates, figs and maybe a touch of dark fruit.

The flavor is very hoppy. more hops then I'm used to in a RIS. A decent amount of chocolate and coffee. There's a flavor in here that I just can't discern. It's not bad but it's something I've never tasted in a RIS.

Medium to full body. Almost no carbonation if any. Lightly chewy.

Overall a decent RIS. Not the best of the style but a sippable beer with lots of flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A= very dark almost black, with modest brown-chocolate head (carefully poured) and lots of lacing.

S= huge roasted-roasted malts with bold hops florals, some fruit and citrus plus occasional brandy-esque alcohol whiffs.

T= bold dark-dark dry roasted malts, great bold hops florals, occasional toffee hints on the sides of the tongue, sometimes some sour brandy alcohol hints and some nutty-ness.

M= very chalky dry, with light sweet toffee syrup effect, dry enough to make my lips stick together but not astringent.

D= drinkable for maybe a few but it's so bold and also high in ABV% that I couldn't tolerate much more at one sitting. Definitely worth having one or more, though. Would probably go great with a slightly too-sweet chocolate dessert to tamper the sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

A-exxtremely dark brown color, almost black, that pours a relatively thick three fingers of head that has decent retention and leaves some lacing on the glass

S-the smell isn't huge and brings some roasted malts up front, it is has a sort of musky alcohol smell with some sweet dark fruit and touch of citrus coming in at the end

T-some light bitter chocolate comes in first, faint though, a musky earthy malt comes in next that is balanced by some sweet dark cherry and plum finishing with a bitter metalic taste

M-relatively full bodied, not big, pretty smooth and sharp crisp finish with some of the alcohol becoming present in the form of a burn on the back of the throat

D-its an ok imperial stout at best, it has some big flavors; but nothing that is exceptionally tasty. somewhat burnt and brings a metallic like taste towards the finish.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

OK this is my first review. I never liked dark beer, only had a few. This was really nice, perhaps my taste have matured with age. Color was almost pitch black and opaque, good two finger head that lasted a while leaving lacy rings on glass. My taste buds may have been killed by 30 years of smoking so I can't tell if it was chocolaty or malty but it was good. After having one I could feel the buzz, will not drive for a while. I have 5 more bottles and look forward to enjoying each one.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/22.

A-Deep black with a minimal dark brown head.

S-Floral hops with chocolate malt and some sweet alcohol.

T-Coffee upfront with floral hops. The aftertaste is almost medicinal/herb-like and reminds me of Campari.

M-This one was a little thin bodied for my taste with moderate carbonation.

D-It's not terribly easy to session but it is rather complex. I would like to give it another shot as I've heard Victory has some QC issues.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

poured from a flip top growler filled by that machine at the Brewery.

Appearance. nice fine bubbles and lots of them, rich dark brown color with a teeny tan cap and minimal swirly head.

Smell: molasses, syrup, chocolate, raisins

Taste: smooth chocolately taste, nicely bitter in the back end. not too boozy.

Mouthfeel: finishes clean. little bit thin, but nice.

Drinkability: better than average for the style.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Great beer. Serious beer. Brewmaster has taken to heart the whole idea behind Imperial Stout. It is this beer. Poured with a nice sized tan head and good lace. Color is an opaque dark brown to almost black. Aroma is interesting; malty, roasty, good hop, yeast, old cheese, dark ripe fruit,& burnt sugar. Flavor's much the same except I really pick up the alcohol, mmm maybe more in the warmth than the flavor. Body is there, but not too heavy and certainly not light. Finish is all that flavor and booze and not too long. Couldn't really see it as a session although it sure is good.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a decent black with ruby edges, fluffy brown head, thick lace. Smell: roasted, slightly burnt, very slight milk chocolate, background leafy hops. Comes off a bit plastic-y, but I think it's the roasted / leafy combination... other RISs and black IPAs do that combination better though. Taste: hop forward... grassy, leafy, lemon rind... that seems to be the Victory hop profile no matter what the style is... milk and baker's chocolate, slightly astringent roasted character. Soft carbonation, astringent finish. This really comes off more like a black IPA than an RIS... maybe aging will change that. I did enjoy this one and I'll probably pick up more, but it doesn't seem to fit the style well at alll. Best by Nov 13, 2014.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours black with a ruby highlight and one finger tan head. Smells of roasted hops, coffee, and chocolate. Silky smooth mouth feel. Initial taste is strong roasted hops and finishes with a rich brandy and port flavor with a punch of bitter black coffee and piny hops.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A- Poured a deep brown, but mostly black with a tan head and good retention.

S- Chocolate, slight roasted smell. I didn't get any hop aroma at all.

T- Chocolate and roasty flavor. Finished dry.

M- Not much carbonation and tasted fairly thin.

D- A lot of flavors but chocolate and roast overpowered them all. Tasted on the thin side and I drank the 2 I had and I was done.

I expected more from Victory.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Pours midnight black with a cocoa colored one finger head that recedes by half. Head looks rich and creamy.

Aroma opens with dark roasted grain, chocolate and charred meat. Middle brings dark sweet fruit, caramel and molasses. Tail end of smell is creamy and slightly vanilla.

Flavor is dark roasted grain to open. Grain is coffee and caramelized sugar, molasses and burnt smokiness. Creamy and doughy breadiness. Middle is hop, straight hop. Hops are not prominent enough to pick out the type, but the bitterness comes out of no where. Finishes bitter and clean despite the sweet aroma. Surprising, to say the least. Booziness is very muted for the abv.

Mouthfeel is crisper and thinner than the appearance. Carbonation is soft and lush and the booze comes through at the swallow, warming slightly.

Pretty damn good, and not overly sweet for a RIS. I wish that some of the "DIPA's" I've had could reign in the sweetness like this does.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Had this in a mix and match pack for 2.50.

A - Dark brown with read hues and an impressive inch of tan colored head.
S - Hops is strong in this one along side of some coffee, chocolate, and fruit nodes.
T - Coffee and dark chocolate blend to a bit of heavy roast which is then taken away by a bitterness from the hops. Finishes rather dry.
M - Dry yet alcohol is well masked. Still one of the more hop forward RIS's I ever had
D - I would like to try this with some age but I don't believe this is the best rep of the style. More body and less hops.

Overall another interesting beer by victory but I will stick with my Old Rasputin.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company