Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Black and opaque, with a little light brown head which leaves a nice lace.
S - Strong coffee and espresso notes amidst hint of booze and medicine.
T - Very strong coffee taste, quite boozy and burnt. Roasted tastes of dark malt and a slight sweetness of caramel. Remarkably bitter and long lasting in the aftertaste.
M - Quite thick, heavy bodied.
D - A little strong in alcohol and coffee flavour. It's like drinking a pint of cold espresso.

Quej, Jan 09, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pitch black...a big tan head that slowly fades into a thin tan cover over the beer...laced the entire glass

S - Sweet smelling...something roasted (malts)...the alcohol comes through faintly

T - Nothing better than the combo of coffee and hops...was not expecting the hops...but they blend nicely with the coffee

M - Nothing special...smooth

D - The alcohol is present...it warms you...but I could have two of these in a night and I'd be a happy person!

thain709, Jan 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Near pitch black with a tan head that dissipates quickly

S: Bitter chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, hint of alcohol

T: similar to the smell, but with an initial hoppy bite, this is one of the best hop characters in a stout that I've had

M: smooth, could be thicker, still excellent

D: lovely, even with the high alcohol I could be tempted to drink several of these, one of my favorite RIS's

sjccmd, Jan 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13%

A 12 ouncer from a 6 pack. My second run with this beer. Last night into a tulip, tonight into a Dinkel glass.

A: Pours pure black. 2 fingers of tan/cola head, dissipating quickly, leaving behind spotty lacing.

S: Dried fruits in the background, espresso and hops in the foreground. Hoppier than any other RIS I've sampled.

T: Coffee and toffee on the front, and a warm layer of hops enter in the middle. The hops don't leave immediately, they linger. The hop flavor wasn't cascade-powered, but not as tame British varieties. Really tasty. Balanced well with the malt.

M: Rich and frothy, but not cream like other RIS. Carbonating is even and appropriate.

D: This beer comes one at a time. 2 is pushing it, but that depends on your time frame and appetite.

I truly enjoyed this beer. I've been sampling this style of beer all year and this is certainly in my top 3. A great hop note to balance the alcohol and malt. Buy this beer and drink it at the right temperature. Can't miss.

-gnash

gouldnash, Jan 06, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Intimidating dark brown and frothy head standing two inches tall. The body is thick with black. The lacing is very nice too.

S - Chocolate with a hint of coffee.

T - Long roasted malt revealing a chocolate flavor that is smooth and soft. There is also a hint of coffee outlining the cocoa taste. Both flavors lay on top of a feather-bed of malt.

M - This stout is the smoothest I've ever enjoyed. It walks its way through my mouth across my gum and tongue before strolling down my throat.

~ If my memory serves me right, this is the best stout I have ever had. I am disappointed I have only one. I will certainly be on the look for this in the future.

cdkrenz, Jan 06, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

This bottle was cellared for about a year. There's nothing wrong with it now, but I'm going to let the remainder of the sixer chill out for a few more years and see what happens.

A- I can't ask for anything more from a RIS. It is as black as anything I've ever seen and pours with two fat fingers of rootbeer float-colored head. The persistent lacing is intact from the top to the bottom of my empty glass.

S- Much better than an average stout. I got hits of toffee, very roasted (but not burnt) barley, and alcohol. Some reviews have claimed they didn't smell any of that. The nose on the beer was strong until the head dissipated in about five minutes, after which I couldn't really smell anything.

T- Doesn't quite match the smell. The hoppiness is still prevalent and the alcohol slightly noticeable after a year. A deep cocoa undertone is there. I don't mean chocolate. This note is more like a bar of +85% cocoa than typical chocolate-mess. I think this is because the hops artificially create a bitter cocoa taste.

M- Hops and alcohol numbness stays with me after the swallow. It's medium-bodied, but in this case, that's not a bad thing.

vitamaltz, Jan 05, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Black as pitch with a lovely thick light brown head (dissipates over time) and thin lacing.

Very malty-sweet nose with some mild phenols.

Great mouthfeel...thick, viscous, but very light carbonation.

Bitter, kinda smoky, rich espresso at the back with...a hint of...cigar?

I keep giving this style a try in hopes that I'll acquire a taste for it. So far all I can do is appreciate it for what it is.

aeminter, Jan 04, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours near black with a thick light brown head that quickly dissapated leaving little lacing.

Smell is quite subdued, but I do get a hint of charcoal and slight alcohol whiff.

Taste starts off a sweet but the alcohol levels it out. It finishes off with a dark chocolate or mocha. Slightly chewy and goes down pretty easily for the ABV. Maybe as not much there as I was expecting from a RIS.

brewintheLou, Jan 04, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

Appearance: Very dark brown with a creamy light brown, two finger head. Very nice, and just how I would like a stout to look. A decent bit of the head lingered for most of the glass, with a high amount of lacing.

Smell: The alcohol is definitely evident in the aroma. Fruit seems to be the dominant aroma, but I can't place it exactly (maybe plums?). Hints of hops - must less than I expected, considering the taste.

Taste: Fruity, bitter, and sweet. A very nice hoppy kick in the aftertaste. Coffee also comes through. The taste doesn't linger nearly long enough, however. Despite smelling it, I don't taste any of the 9.1% ABV. Hops are the most prevalent flavor, and become more dominant as the beer warms. A tiny bit of the alcohol kick also comes through as the beer warms. Not very balanced.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin. Highly carbonated, but a very thin mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Dangerously easy to drink, as the alcohol is masked very well. It did warm my stomach after awhile, even though it didn't come through in the taste. However, I was kind of disapointed by this. It has the hoppiness of an IPA, the color/alchohol content of an imperial stout...but doesn't really succeed at being either.

This was my first really 'hoppy' dark beer, so maybe I'm just not that in to the style - I would prefer either hoppy or dark, but not necessarily one at the same time.

For me, this was a case of looks being decieving. It poured beautifully, but that was the most enjoyable part of this beer. I doubt I would buy it again, but I wouldn't necessarily refuse it. It wasn't bad, but I guess it's just not a beer I prefer.

StarlightSeraph, Jan 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Darkest black pour with dark top. Black Coffee and roasted malts in the nose. Slick malty body with a dark chocolate and coffee flavor. A little bit of an alcohol bite shows through. There's also some tart citrus. Surprisingly goes very well with hot wings.

Poser, Jan 03, 2009

Was down in Philly visiting the brother-in-law and family and he took me to a local beer distributer. Was completly overwellmed by the selection of beers I've never heard of but with some persuasion decieded on this one and WOW. Poured DARK with a thick dark creamy head smelled wonderful and tasted even better. Had my first one and decided I had to eat something to sober up a little. CRAZY off of one beer!!!

kw24ever, Jan 03, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Impressive tall beige head; leaves nice chunky lace on the glass. The color of the brew is near black. No light shines through.

Lots of black patent malt aroma--bitter mocha.

Strong coffee bitterness, as if there was no milk nor sugar added. The alcohol level is notable but not dominating. Very dry. Compared to most stouts, this one is thin. Great dark chocolate aftertaste.

smcolw, Jan 01, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured at cellar temp into my Darkness snifter.
'08 bottling.

A: Pours jet-black. A very creamy tan head with great retention. Stickiest of sticky lacing, absolutely clings to the glass.

S: Dark roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, citrus hops.

T: Initial hit of bitter chocolate malts leads to quite a blast of orange/citrus hops with a dark and dry malty finish. Not realy what I was expecting.

M: Thick and creamy. Quite a punch of hops make my tastebuds tingle. Quite dry.

D: Drinkability is ok. Very smooth, very little alcohol detected. I can see why many people prefer this one with some age on it. I'll have to revisit this one in maybe a year or so.

Packforever1976, Dec 30, 2008

Purchased a bottle at Julio's in Westborough, MA.

A: Jet black. Dark tan head that rings. Opaque. The beer has legs.

S: Roasted grain aroma is strong and is in fact overpowering. This beer smells very fresh. Not significant hop aroma. Some chocolate/coffee notes. Not fruity.

T: A strong tea like character. Rush of sweetness then bitter on the back end. Some dark fruit notes. Roasted grain character carries throughout but it is very mellow considering the nose.

MF: Medium body moderate. Lightly carbonated.

D, notes: A well done beer.

Nipitato, Dec 29, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours out black as the night with almost no head. Lots of hops and coffee and chocolate in the mouth with a good alcohol burn on the finish. Sharp aroma of molasses, dark fruits and coffee. One of my very favorite beers and something I can drink anywhere, anytime.

Wackyfoot, Dec 28, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.
A: Pours opaque black...almost no light comes through with backlighting. Faint hint of dark tan head quickly dissipates.
S: Roasted malt, citrus hops, chocolate, and a hint of pineapple.
T: Citrus hops first pop out. Then chocolate roasted malt comes through after a few sips. Can barely tell that there is any alcohol in here...dangerous. The balance between the fruity citrus hops with sharp, crisp bite and the smooth tones of the roasted chocolate malt is exquisite.
M: Very soft and smooth overall with some nice sharp bite from the hops.
D: The definition of drinkability...and you don't find that most of the time from a strong russian imperial stout. These typically are sippers...this one doesn't have to be. In a blind tasting, I would guess it had half the alcohol content that it does. The perfect balance of hops and malt and the contrasting and yet complementing flavors is truly special.

mwilbur, Dec 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours an oily blackness with a medium brown thin head. It seems very carbonated. It smells of a solid chocolate. It's mouthfeel is solid-- a good heavy body and the hints of chocolate are already apparent. The flavor is great! It's got a great chocolatey finish and the alcohol is definitely there too, but not in a bothersome way. This is a very drinkable stout (not to mention delicious!), so you better be careful!

jeremyd365, Dec 27, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A - dark as night, dark tan head, very good size, excellent retention, doesn't quite leave a full sheet of lace down the glass, but awful close.

S - clean, lots of citrus hoppiness, smooth chocolate roast, very inviting

T - lots of cocoa, burnt toffee, woody, not a lot of hop flavour, lingering bitterness, aftertaste is hops, roasted malt, and smooth alcohol...mmm good.

M - not overly heavy, medium body, very creamy, alcohol warmth is quite evident, but soothing like a warm blanket.

D - this is delicious and very well executed, the bold flavours and alcohol do slow you down, but that just gives you more time to savour this fine drink.

This is a bold RIS, but if you're into this sort of thing, you'll find it has an incredible smoothness that takes the edge off. Excellent use of American hops, with a great aroma and long lasting bitterness. The malt is quite roasty, but also manages to come across as smooth. I usually have no trouble hammering through 12ozs of 9.1% beer, but the Storm King forces you to take it slow (the only other RIS I can think of that matches this intensity, in fact exceeds it, is Bell's Expedition).

Thanks to Phyl21ca for the bottle!

markaberrant, Dec 24, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

A- pours black with a foamy tan two-finger head. Head dissapears quickly but leaves a nice lacing.

S- Hops and alcohol stand out. Mild burnt stout smell, not a lot going on.

T- This is a very hoppy stout. Somewhat of a smokey coffee taste but the grasy/earthy hops really stand out. It's like mixing a stout with an IPA.

M-Very smooth and creamy.

D- This brew goes down very easy though the hops could be dialed back a bit.

JayNH, Dec 22, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

The beer poured with a great and thick two finger head. Very impressive start to an anticipated beer. We have had a lot of success with Victory beers. The head slowly disappated, but it took a while and lace was left all over the sides of the glass.

The aroma was dark and smokey with a nice bit of toasted barley and chocolate malt. The color was black and smelled perfect for its look.

The chocolate malt really comes through while drinking this beer. The roasted dark malts really make a nice beer. A great example of Russian Imperial.

The beer is pretty heavy and thick while drinking. Very smooth and complex.

rgrholmes168, Dec 22, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This substantial stout is very robust.

My first sense that got a kick was my sense of smell. I smelled a lot of heavenly hops coming from the bottle before I even poured the beer! I think I like it already. Plus a hint of darkly roasted barley.

Then I pour this amazing ale into my favorite beer drinking glass. It looks just like a good espresso.... but it's not, it's beer! I hold it up to the light... and nothing. I can't see anything. Dark black all the way through. A beautiful sight for sore eyes. The head is a dark brown sugar color, and it gives off a lot of hop aroma at first then that fades off to a strong barley aroma.

It tastes just like it smells. Great! The flavor of hops jumps out first, quickly followed by the onslaught of roasted malts, strong notes of coffee and molasses.

Despite all these onslaughts n' stuff, it's not overwhelming on the palate. It's smooth! Even at 9.1% abv it's not even harsh at all. Smooth on the way down, and it gives a nice warmth.

Very drinkable. But kinda pricy. My favorite from the Victory Brewings. The Lord bless the hop harvest.

hoplover82, Dec 22, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a bottle with enjoy by date of Feb 13, 2013. Wow, 4 years and two months ahead of time! Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage trail clean, clear pint glass.

A Great looking dark black body, absolutely no light gets through even with direct light behind it. Head is light brown and great. It took two minutes to dissipate and had nice lacing after it did.

S Not an intense smell, a subtle dark malt smell with some alcohol. It has been my experience that Stouts do not have a strong smell. This one goes along with that trend. I might smell some nuttiness but the dark malt is mostly what I smell.

T Big stout taste of dark dark malt and bitterness (hops). This strikes me as a "classic" stout taste which is great since that is what it advertises to be. The taste was a bit more basic than I had expected after so much positive press.

M Despite the big tastes this beer thins out reasonably soon (10 seconds) in the mouthfeel. I don't get much carbonation in the feel despite its generous and lingering head. Overall the mouthfeel is huge though.

D Not great with high ABV, big, full taste and feel.

Notes: I had heard so many good things about Storm King prior to trying it tonight that I went into this review ready to be blown away. I was not blown away but I do think that it is a good to great stout. I think that I am spoiled since I had Old Rasputin on nitro tap recently. I will cellar the remaining 5 bottles that came in my sixer and then see if they improve with time.

adamette, Dec 22, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours dark black with a thick, creamy, 3 finger, tan colored head. Good retention with some real nice lace on the glass. Good amounts of bubbles feeding the head.

A mild roasted malt aroma on the nose with some dark fruity esters that ends with a pretty strong spicy hoppiness. Some bitter dark chocolate as well.

An overall decent roasted malt, bitter coffee flavor with a hint of molasses, all this followed up by an almost citrus hop bitterness, that is actually quite a good balance to the up front sweetness. Leaves a fairly strong bitter chocolate taste on the palate.

Fairly thick, with a pretty minor carbonation factor. All in all not bad, the alcohol is well hidden, the flavors balanced and the price is right for a sixer of this. Granted there are better options in this style but for the price you can't go wrong.

Soneast, Dec 21, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Reviewed on 7/8/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of roasted malt, bitter hops, and coffee. Flavor of weaker sweet roasted malts, bitter hops. The mouthfeel is nice and full and richens as the beer warms. The flavors are a bit weak for a top notch imperial stout. Rather bitter as well. The first time I had this beer I wasn't particularly impressed and the same holds true in this revist. It lacks the rich intensity of the great imperial stouts and reminds me of a regular stout with a full-bodied palate. Still a good beer to try, but it's nothing great.

Update 7/10/08: Had this beer again on gravity keg at Blind Tiger. The flavor is completely dominated by coffee and roasted malt. Very roasted. A little tastier than the bottled version, but there's still not a lot going on here.

8/4/6/4/15 (3.7/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer is opaque black with a fluffy brown head. The head has some rainbow bubbles in it! The aroma is of dry dark roast-- french roast coffee and dark chocolate. There is also some bready grain and piny hops. The palate is full-bodied with a soft dry finish. The flavor is well-blended. The black coffee/dark chocolate flows right into the aggressive piny hops. It has a pretty long aftertaste that eventually ends up as dark chocolate. Wow. I want another one of these!
(rated Mar 7, 2007)