Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to tpd975 for the hookup!

This beer poured a deep black color with a 1/2 finger, tight, medium-tan head. Some reddish highlights when illuminated, it left a pleasant lacing when swirled in my half-pint glass.

Aroma included plum-like esters, deep roasted grains that focused on dark chocolate and espresso. Mildly nutty with a lower-than-expected amount of floral hops. Missing some oxidation/sherry like qualities that I find pleasing in other examples of the style.

Flavors of burnt malt, coffee/espresso, and chocolate. Bitterness was moderately-high and lingered on into a dry finish. An unwelcome level of astringency is present and lasted into the finish. Needed to have a second beer to clear that up. Malts are overly focused on the burnt character. Harshness from the dark malt and dry finish really detracted from what is typically one of my favorite styles. Missing out on some counterpointed sweetness.

Medium-full bodied, moderately carbonated. The astringency from the dark malts was a detractor.

Overall, the harshness from the dark malt astringency and dry finish combined to drive down the drinkability on this beer. Lacked some residual sweetness that would have helped. Oxidation could have brought in some sherry-like qualities to increase complexity. Missing the dark-fruit type flavors I find in other examples of the style. Clean fermentation, appropriate level of bitterness and coffee-chocolate character. It just lacks the drinkability of an Old Rasputin, Black Chocolate Stout (Brooklyn), Expedition Stout, etc. One of the rare times I'm hesitant to finish even a modest 12 ounce serving.

BrewerB, Aug 02, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer pours a huge head (be aware) and embodies the rich dark appearance that most imperial stouts encompass. The smell & taste exhibits chocolate and coffee malts. The mouthfeel was okay along with its drinkability.

The only problem I had with this beer was the extreme bitterness I encountered. I wasn't expecting it at all. My suggestion is to wait until this stout (along with most stouts) is a little colder than room temperature (55-60 degree F) before tasting it. If you follow this, the overwhelming bitterness seems to calm down a bit.

OlieIPA, Aug 02, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm not a big fan of most Imperial stouts, but this is about the best I've had. This is one really fine beer. It pours a thick dark brown almost black color that is impenetrable to light. The head is just grand. It pours a really thick, creamy, foamy dark brown head that is luscious. The beer laces and retains quite well. This is a pretty full bodied beer and is almost a meal in itself.

The aroma is pretty mild considering. It has a bit of a milk shake aroma, some oily hop in the background, some metallics, and some grainy caramels are also present. Then we get to the taste. Wow. This beer is making a definite statement, and is probably the most hopped up stout you'll find. There is a tinge of metallic in the taste and for that I kept it out of the 5 range, but for everything else, it is just a delight. The beer has a nice charred cherry flavor, some burnt molasses notes, definitely oily and estery hop, some roasted malts, and some sweetish fruitiness hidden underneath. This is a complex beer with a high ABV that is well hidden.

The mouthfeel is oily and full bodied; the aftertaste is a bit charcoal remnant, a dark toasted malts, and some lingering alcohol. This beer is a treat, it is strong, it is complex, and it is worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

albern, Jul 31, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This stout is jet black, pouring dirctly into my pint glass. Moderately thick head soon becomes a creamy film which produces some nice lacing around my glass. The aroma is a little subdued compared to most Imperial Stouts. It is rich and thick with a very straight forward malt characteristic, not very complex but I like it. As I sip on this marvelous stout it's full bodied flavor starts to impress my senses. The malts are roasted beyond reason and this leads way to a wonderful flavor that is unlike any other Stout that I have sampled. Tremendously smooth on the palate, this strong dark beer is easily consumed. The alcohol is hidden extremely well. Good seasonal brew, great Imperial Stout. 5/13/06 well I had the last one from my cellar and I have to add that this is the most hopped Imperial Stout I have ever had, that's what makes this one special. Very nice.

kinger, Jul 31, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

First, love the owlish bottle. This thing poured up a huge head that hung around, bubbling like a babbling spring brook. Then I sniff & spill a little on the keyboard. I think I'm tired. The smell is, honestly, a little off-putting, sharp & acrid & faintly bitter.

Goes down with a dash of coffee & malts. Not much else. The smell is toned down in the mouth, but there's still a faint burnt coffee roaster smell; not the clean coffee taste I prefer, but with a bitter edge to it.

Mouthfeel is OK. I prefer my RIS to be silky smooth, with the cut of alcohol slithering down into my tummy. This one is much more aggressive, almost slick, nothing subtle, & little depth/complexity. An acceptable RIS.

maximum12, Jul 30, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Hooray for my first review!

Ordered this in a bottle. I knew it was an Imperial so I was a bit prepared going into it but I had not had an Imperial before. The beer was poured into typical restaurant glass so there wasn't much going on there. It poured a deep black with slight lacing and to be honest I was expecting at least a little bit more. The smell was nothing too exciting. At 9% there was the tiniest hint of alcohol but to the extent that it added some flavor to the aroma. Other hints were chocolate, coffee, and a bit of malts. None of these were hugely evident though. The tasting was where this beer really started to shine. The feel was just thick enough that it allowed each flavor (chocolate, malts, alchohol, my friend said "toast") to slightly linger before being washed away. This beer got better as I kept drinking it. This might be related to the 9% alcohol content. Overall, this was a very drinkable beer. I thought strongly about ordering another but wanted to try more on the menu.

beachian, Jul 26, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Ahhhh...Stouts...My favorite

Had this gem out of a pint glass. Thanks to Kadonny for this.

A-Jet black body with tan, almost brown, one finger head that settles to the rim and laces all the way down.

S-First aromas you are treated to; roasted grains, smoky, burnt sugar, chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Underneath all this is a hint of fruitiness that keeps the beer from being too harsh. There is a good balance between all of them with the burnt sugar being the main character. The smell makes me salivate and want to start drinking.

T/M-Wow, this one is spot on. The coffee is most prevelent for me. Taste like coffee that has been on the burner all day but it sure is damn good. There is a spiciness to the finish of the beer, a combination of the alcohol and hops. My only complaint is it could have a little creamier mouthfeel.

Overall this is one of the better beers I have tried and certainly right up there on my top three of Russian Imperial Stouts. This one won't let you down.

Cheers...

Tbn2, Jul 25, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

To get myself through the fiasco known as Corona Light, I have called upon a bottle of Storm King. On to the beer:

The semi-tan head is about a finger thick, the body jet fuel black. Lacing was dissapointing. Aroma is tame and not very strong; mostly charred chocolate. The taste is big on bitter flavors; bitter dark chocolate with a high level of hoppiness. It sweetens up as it warms; from thisn comes a release of dark choclate, molasses, and subtle fruity flavors. Giving it time to warm up makes a big difference in this beer, otherwise you're left with a bitter black beer. In short, a dissapointment for what I was expecting.

DoubleJ, Jul 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Nice beer. We enjoyed experiencing what others felt was a worldclass beer. We agree with that assessment. The smell left something to desire but the taste made up for it.

Nice lacing. Stormking subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt exhibiting an expresso like depth of character in its finish.

Palealetial, Jul 20, 2008

Picked this up at Pirate's Cove back on Memorial Day weekend, finally getting around to reviewing it.

A: Dark black, very thick looking. Head is tan and about 1 finger which quickly dissipates. Nice lacing left on the glass. This was a bit of a cold pour, which probably explains the lack of head.

S: Big smells here, really permeates the room. Closer inspection reveals toasted malt, coffee, bitter chocolate, and a surprisngly strong bit of bitterness. Doesn't really smell hoppy...but I don't know what else the bitter would come from.

T: Toasted malt and coffee are prominent in this brew. Other flavors are pretty mild...but there is definitely a hop kick at the end. Fairly resiny, although I don't imagine you'd be able to taste much real flavor character over the darkness of the brew.

MF: Thick and chewy, but not the thickest I've had. It's actually quite a crisp feel. Carbonation is higher than probably a lot of RIS's. Decent warming although it took a few minutes before I really noticed anything.

D: This is a nice RIS, although not as rich and flavorful as others I've had. I really like the bitter character in the end, although it does seem a bit odd for the style. Nice drinkable brew, although at 9% I couldn't drink too many in one sitting. Not the best, but better than most.

rxdrewthejew, Jul 19, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into my snifter out of 12 oz bottle. This beer is a very dark brown, almost black color. Tan head is about 2/3 inch thick when poured before settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside the glass along with a very decent surface covering. Excellent lace. Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate are present, along with a nice hint of alcohol. A bitter roasted coffee and malt flavor hit my palate upon taking my first sip, followed by a bit of sweet caramel and perhaps a hint of chocolate. Rounded out with some hop flavor, but this is more of an afterthought I suppose. The main bitter flavor here seems to come from the coffee flavor more than the hops. Has a sort of dry lingering after taste. Has a very smooth and creamy, frothy fullbodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, especially considering the high ABV here. A great beer!

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

admittedly I am really too much of a noob to do this review justice. I have only had a handful of RIS, but I have to season my palate and taste a few more of these before I tear into my bottle of Kate.

I pull this out of the fridge and pour into a goblet. It pours a thick black with a 2 finger head that is the color of wet sand. The whole thing looks frothy and creamy. If you look at the stream as it pours it looks like pepsi.

Its got a roasty coffee smell with some hints of spice and chocolate. Those are generic terms for this style, it seems, but hey thats what I get. Alcohol is faintly present.

After the first taste I remember the tip to let this warm a little.

After 10 min, here we go. Thick, spicy coffee alcohol. Slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers on the center of my tongue. Not unpleasant. Nice. After a few sips the taste in your mouth is bitter and slightly dry. I am liking it.

Halfway down the glass the head and lacing are fighting with the liquid. After every sip the liquid tries to pull all the foam back but the creaminess punches back with some very nice lacing.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and I love that ever-so-slight numb feeling you get from the alcohol...this stuff is yummy.

The first cold drink was very different than the warmer midglass gulps. When I had the first taste I thought it would be my one and only, but I'm going to the fridge right now. The alcohol will get me, but I could drink quite a few of these...

travloh, Jul 14, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Black as night with thick frothy brown head. Decent retention and excellent lacing.

S - Mild aroma of chocolate. Not as strong as expected. Also hints of spice, maybe cloves?

T - Taste of roasted chocolate with a light spicey hop kick. Also some anise in the taste. Somewhat funky aftertaste. Alcohol present, but masked fairly well.

M/D - Full bodied and very creamy. Easy drinking by RIS standards but have to watch out for the 9.10% ABV.

ckeegan04, Jul 13, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours the color of dirty motor oil. On the edge between deep brown and black, but it's really brown. You can hold it to the light and see some carbonation bouncing around. The head was tan and thick. It stayed for a while the transformed into immediate sticky lacing. There is lacing everywhere.

Aroma is of molasses, dark roasted malt. It has a slight burnt quality to it and you can detect the higher alcohol level.

Taste is rich, creamy and smooth. You start with a warm roasted taste that reminds me more of a French roast coffee or perhaps espresso, but the mouth feel is even bigger. Then you get a whiff of the alcohol before the hops come in and lead to a nice lingering hop bitterness to balance the other flavors. It really has a nice warming effect as you drink it. While I love drinking this right now (July) this reminds me of sitting in front of a fire after a day of skiing. I will have to create that situation in the future.

Mouth feel is silky smooth and medium to fairly rich in body. Very drinkable, in fact intoxicating.

A great one, that's for sure.

Reagan1984, Jul 12, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Wasn't blown away by this Imperial Stout, it was very unasuming, balanced and complex. You think it would knock you over with power and brute force, it doesn't. Nose was burbon, smoke, peat, coal, and somewhat dark floral notes. Persistant finish. Great beer and was only around $2 for a 12oz, not bad.

paytoplay, Jul 09, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +13%

Picked this up at Total Wine and More in Kennesaw. Bought a single for my six pack mixer.

Pours like your typical Russian Imperial Stout: dark and thick. Not a lot of head presentation; maybe a quarter inch that quickly went away. While it lasted, it was a dark, caramel brown color. You can really smell the coffee and chocolaty malts coming through.

Taste is is exceptional. True to the style, it packs a LOT of flavor. But it's all balanced so well that it isn't overwhelming. There's a lot of chocolate and coffee on your first swig, but then the hops make their presence known. Smooth and creamy. Some other Russian Imperials I've had were good, but there was almost too much flavor thrown at you. This one is perfect.

Alcohol is very well hidden. It's 9%, but it doesn't taste it. You can almost feel it when you're swallowing it though.

This will probably be the beer I buy in bulk this winter to sip by the fire place: an excellent representation of the style.

Deus1138, Jul 06, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours black and completely opaque with a large one inch light brown head. Frothy with good retention and some nice fine bubble lace.

Aroma is alright. Some good coffee notes, a bit of dark chocolate, a floral hoppiness and slightly boozy.

Taste is pretty nice. Black coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and a little hop bitterness. Alcohol is well concealed.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick and creamy with a subtle carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. Strong flavors, however very pleasant. Alcohol is fairly high which limits the brew only slightly. Alcohol is well hidden making for easier consumption. This is my second attempt at this brew and I am more pleased this time around. I need to see some age on this one.

Goliath, Jul 05, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Pours a dark brown or black color with a light brown colored head that pops up and then goes away but does leave some spotty lacing.

S- Dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, fruit, vanilla, and a slight woody smoke smell.

T- Roasted malts, caramel, spicy hops and alcohol at first. As each sip passes, the taste seems to build in complexity.

M- Full body, good carbonation and a little oily

D- Very drinkable, the alcohol is very well hidden. A tasty and great russian imperial stout.

nrbw23, Jul 05, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A: snifter. pours an impenetrable black with a slightly ruby hue. nice rich tan head. good retention and a fair amount of lacing.

S: brown sugar, molasses, figs, raisins, cherries, along wiht some coffee and chocolate.

T: I get some serious fruit flavors up front, mostly berries. some big coffee and chocolate flavors. some bitterness. very malty.

M: warming and very mellow for 9%. smooth, with a nice bite in the end. decent carbonation.

D: very nice imperial stout. interesting flavors, and a solid mouthfeel.

paulthebeerguru, Jul 03, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a nearly jet black with just a hint of ruby highlights at tha bottom of the glass. Thick and creamy tan head.

Roasty malt aroma, as expected, with hints of dark fruit, toastiness and maybe even licorice with a bit of earthy hops. Big flavor - lots of roast, toffeeness, some dark fruit and a bit of nutiness. Creamy mouthfeel with a sweeter than dry finish but with a bit of a hop bite in the aftertaste. A big beer, but the 9.1% ABV is well hidden - no hotness or astringency.

Overall, a very nice imperial stout. Big and bold, but not over the top. Recommend for sure.

kevinglin, Jul 02, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours absolutely pitch black; even held up to a bright light there is not even a hint of transparency. Small tan head that quickly dissipates to a nice, thin, sticky lacing. Looks like you could eat it with a spoon.

Very mild smell of roasted malts, cherries, and hops. I'd consider this the one place this beer doesn't excel. It was a struggle to even write that sentence.

Taste is roasty, black coffee, and bitter chocolate up front. Bitter but not overwhelming hops on the back end, leaving a pleasing bitterness on the palate that lingers. Smooth but very flavorful.

Exceptionally smooth mouthfeel. Very nice carbonation consisting of small bubbles that really coat the mouth. Creamy and full. Almost the consistency of an oatmeal stout.

A very drinkable Imperial Stout. If I were the kind of guy that had a nightcap every night (or a Russian Czar), this would be my everyday nightcap, like a lawnmower beer but for the evening (a beer geek's evening.) It's immensely flavorful, highly alcoholic without really even hinting at it in the taste, and satisfyingly filling. An excellent beer that always deserves refrigerator space.

FreightTrain, Jul 01, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Completely opaque black with a dark tan head. Pretty foamy. Laces really nicely, retention very high. Doesn't get better than this.

S: Lots of chocolate and spices, pretty powerful roasted malt, hints of coffee, maybe a little dark fruit.

T: Coffee and chocolate with a background of heavily roasted malt is the main flavor, followed by a nice shot of delicious hops. Pretty sweet and very smoky for the style. More chocolate after swallowing. A definite coffee/carbon bitter flavor sticks around after swallowing, reminding me of a campfire. Alcohol barely detectable under the rich flavor, amazingly.

M: The texture is to die for. Heavy-bodied, chewy, carbonation is good, slight astringency. It's a little syrupy, as expected.

D: Very hard to drink a lot of, and very filling. A good beer to sip. I don't think I could handle this one too often, but when I want an imperial stout, I'll have to find this one again.

ralree, Jun 30, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

12-ounce bottle with a mean-looking bird-of-prey face on it poured into a pint nonic yields an ebony body crowned with three fingers of thick, creamy mocha foam that retains at a fat sheet that leaves swaths of webby lacing on the glass.

Smell is hop chocolate. Yep. That's what I said. Like 'hot chocolate' only with spicy, evergreen hops and a smutty, roasty note of burnt nuts.

Taste is fruitily-hoppy and chocolatey with caramel balanced by the a dark, dark black dry malt bitterness and piney, bitter hops riding a solid sensation of alcohol into the homestretch. Hoppy.

Smooth, spicy, and warming, this drink is completely inappropriate for Greenville on the hottest day lately. Think I'll turn down the a/c a notch. There we go. Great drinkability.

cvstrickland, Jun 26, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pitch black color with a nice tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass. The aroma is very nice with roasted malts, alcohol soaked fruits and a touch of chocolate and coffee. The taste is very nice as well, with dark roasted malts, a nice bitterness from the hops and a quick bite from the alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is oh so smooth and creamy, just perfect! Overall, Victory Storm King Stout is a very good RIS that is spot on for the style! I am not really craving the bigger beers right now since it is June and hot as hell in Florida, but this beer was well worth it! Highly recommended!

cjgator3, Jun 24, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

A - pitch black with very slight garnet hues in the light with 1/2" tan head that left a ring of bubbles and laced minimally in my pint glass.

S - dark chocolate, coffee, slight waft of burnt toast and smokiness. Somewhat floral.

T - very dark malts, chocolate, and coffee with a mild breadiness. No alcoholic taste detected despite the high alcohol content.

M - full bodied, light/medium carbonation. A little chewy and thick on the palate. Quite pleasant.

D - very drinkable. Extremely smooth but the alcohol may catch up to you.

Overall - This is in my opinion one of the greatest stouts available out there. It is rich, flavorful, and you do not need to drink a lot of it to be satisfied (even though you'll want to slam down a few of these in one evening). If the alcohol wasn't so high I'd say it would make an excellent session beer, much like Guinness Extra Stout, but since it is quite potent, I'd like to savor one or two of these on a cool evening with an irish cream cigar. Will buy again ($12/6 pack at Wegmans)

DmanGTR, Jun 24, 2008