Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours out black as the night with almost no head. Lots of hops and coffee and chocolate in the mouth with a good alcohol burn on the finish. Sharp aroma of molasses, dark fruits and coffee. One of my very favorite beers and something I can drink anywhere, anytime.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.
A: Pours opaque black...almost no light comes through with backlighting. Faint hint of dark tan head quickly dissipates.
S: Roasted malt, citrus hops, chocolate, and a hint of pineapple.
T: Citrus hops first pop out. Then chocolate roasted malt comes through after a few sips. Can barely tell that there is any alcohol in here...dangerous. The balance between the fruity citrus hops with sharp, crisp bite and the smooth tones of the roasted chocolate malt is exquisite.
M: Very soft and smooth overall with some nice sharp bite from the hops.
D: The definition of drinkability...and you don't find that most of the time from a strong russian imperial stout. These typically are sippers...this one doesn't have to be. In a blind tasting, I would guess it had half the alcohol content that it does. The perfect balance of hops and malt and the contrasting and yet complementing flavors is truly special.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours an oily blackness with a medium brown thin head. It seems very carbonated. It smells of a solid chocolate. It's mouthfeel is solid-- a good heavy body and the hints of chocolate are already apparent. The flavor is great! It's got a great chocolatey finish and the alcohol is definitely there too, but not in a bothersome way. This is a very drinkable stout (not to mention delicious!), so you better be careful!

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A - dark as night, dark tan head, very good size, excellent retention, doesn't quite leave a full sheet of lace down the glass, but awful close.

S - clean, lots of citrus hoppiness, smooth chocolate roast, very inviting

T - lots of cocoa, burnt toffee, woody, not a lot of hop flavour, lingering bitterness, aftertaste is hops, roasted malt, and smooth alcohol...mmm good.

M - not overly heavy, medium body, very creamy, alcohol warmth is quite evident, but soothing like a warm blanket.

D - this is delicious and very well executed, the bold flavours and alcohol do slow you down, but that just gives you more time to savour this fine drink.

This is a bold RIS, but if you're into this sort of thing, you'll find it has an incredible smoothness that takes the edge off. Excellent use of American hops, with a great aroma and long lasting bitterness. The malt is quite roasty, but also manages to come across as smooth. I usually have no trouble hammering through 12ozs of 9.1% beer, but the Storm King forces you to take it slow (the only other RIS I can think of that matches this intensity, in fact exceeds it, is Bell's Expedition).

Thanks to Phyl21ca for the bottle!

4.18/5  rDev +3%

A- pours black with a foamy tan two-finger head. Head dissapears quickly but leaves a nice lacing.

S- Hops and alcohol stand out. Mild burnt stout smell, not a lot going on.

T- This is a very hoppy stout. Somewhat of a smokey coffee taste but the grasy/earthy hops really stand out. It's like mixing a stout with an IPA.

M-Very smooth and creamy.

D- This brew goes down very easy though the hops could be dialed back a bit.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

The beer poured with a great and thick two finger head. Very impressive start to an anticipated beer. We have had a lot of success with Victory beers. The head slowly disappated, but it took a while and lace was left all over the sides of the glass.

The aroma was dark and smokey with a nice bit of toasted barley and chocolate malt. The color was black and smelled perfect for its look.

The chocolate malt really comes through while drinking this beer. The roasted dark malts really make a nice beer. A great example of Russian Imperial.

The beer is pretty heavy and thick while drinking. Very smooth and complex.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This substantial stout is very robust.

My first sense that got a kick was my sense of smell. I smelled a lot of heavenly hops coming from the bottle before I even poured the beer! I think I like it already. Plus a hint of darkly roasted barley.

Then I pour this amazing ale into my favorite beer drinking glass. It looks just like a good espresso.... but it's not, it's beer! I hold it up to the light... and nothing. I can't see anything. Dark black all the way through. A beautiful sight for sore eyes. The head is a dark brown sugar color, and it gives off a lot of hop aroma at first then that fades off to a strong barley aroma.

It tastes just like it smells. Great! The flavor of hops jumps out first, quickly followed by the onslaught of roasted malts, strong notes of coffee and molasses.

Despite all these onslaughts n' stuff, it's not overwhelming on the palate. It's smooth! Even at 9.1% abv it's not even harsh at all. Smooth on the way down, and it gives a nice warmth.

Very drinkable. But kinda pricy. My favorite from the Victory Brewings. The Lord bless the hop harvest.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bottle with enjoy by date of Feb 13, 2013. Wow, 4 years and two months ahead of time! Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage trail clean, clear pint glass.

A Great looking dark black body, absolutely no light gets through even with direct light behind it. Head is light brown and great. It took two minutes to dissipate and had nice lacing after it did.

S Not an intense smell, a subtle dark malt smell with some alcohol. It has been my experience that Stouts do not have a strong smell. This one goes along with that trend. I might smell some nuttiness but the dark malt is mostly what I smell.

T Big stout taste of dark dark malt and bitterness (hops). This strikes me as a "classic" stout taste which is great since that is what it advertises to be. The taste was a bit more basic than I had expected after so much positive press.

M Despite the big tastes this beer thins out reasonably soon (10 seconds) in the mouthfeel. I don't get much carbonation in the feel despite its generous and lingering head. Overall the mouthfeel is huge though.

D Not great with high ABV, big, full taste and feel.

Notes: I had heard so many good things about Storm King prior to trying it tonight that I went into this review ready to be blown away. I was not blown away but I do think that it is a good to great stout. I think that I am spoiled since I had Old Rasputin on nitro tap recently. I will cellar the remaining 5 bottles that came in my sixer and then see if they improve with time.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours dark black with a thick, creamy, 3 finger, tan colored head. Good retention with some real nice lace on the glass. Good amounts of bubbles feeding the head.

A mild roasted malt aroma on the nose with some dark fruity esters that ends with a pretty strong spicy hoppiness. Some bitter dark chocolate as well.

An overall decent roasted malt, bitter coffee flavor with a hint of molasses, all this followed up by an almost citrus hop bitterness, that is actually quite a good balance to the up front sweetness. Leaves a fairly strong bitter chocolate taste on the palate.

Fairly thick, with a pretty minor carbonation factor. All in all not bad, the alcohol is well hidden, the flavors balanced and the price is right for a sixer of this. Granted there are better options in this style but for the price you can't go wrong.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Reviewed on 7/8/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of roasted malt, bitter hops, and coffee. Flavor of weaker sweet roasted malts, bitter hops. The mouthfeel is nice and full and richens as the beer warms. The flavors are a bit weak for a top notch imperial stout. Rather bitter as well. The first time I had this beer I wasn't particularly impressed and the same holds true in this revist. It lacks the rich intensity of the great imperial stouts and reminds me of a regular stout with a full-bodied palate. Still a good beer to try, but it's nothing great.

Update 7/10/08: Had this beer again on gravity keg at Blind Tiger. The flavor is completely dominated by coffee and roasted malt. Very roasted. A little tastier than the bottled version, but there's still not a lot going on here.

8/4/6/4/15 (3.7/5)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer is opaque black with a fluffy brown head. The head has some rainbow bubbles in it! The aroma is of dry dark roast-- french roast coffee and dark chocolate. There is also some bready grain and piny hops. The palate is full-bodied with a soft dry finish. The flavor is well-blended. The black coffee/dark chocolate flows right into the aggressive piny hops. It has a pretty long aftertaste that eventually ends up as dark chocolate. Wow. I want another one of these!
(rated Mar 7, 2007)

Picked this one up a few months ago while travelling for work. Shared a few with some coworkers at the time, but didn't get a chance to review it then. We have a big snowstorm rolling in tonight, so I figure it would be appropriate to open up my last Storm King.

A - Holy crap this guy develops huge head on a pretty soft pour. Like half the glass! After a minute or two it receeds. Pretty dark, not black, with some rocky light foam floating around for the entirety of the beer. There's some lacing, but nothing to write home about. Appears a bit thin on the swirl.

S - Not very strong here, but smells good. Notes of milk chocolate, light roast fresh brewed coffee, some dark fruits hiding out and finally a hint of citrus zest from the hops.

T - Not as rich as I remember, but quite tasty nonetheless. Upfront I get some chocolate malts, a bit of cafe au lait, some roastedness, followed by a grassy citrusy finish with some nice bitterness.

M - A little thin for the style. I'd call it medium bodied. I'm almost done with my beer and haven't noticed the carbonation much, but I'd say on the finish it is just shy of being agressive.

D - A good beer, for sure. I don't see it too frequently around in my local stores, and the RIS category has lot of really good alternatives, so I probably won't seek this out. Would be happy to drink one if I came across it again.

It's a bit of a different take on the style given the thin body and higher level of hopping - I can appreciate that and enjoy it for what it is.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

When I picked this up, I was so happy this had finally made its way to San Diego. Pours opaque black with no head. Nose of baker's chocolate, raisins, and some roastiness. Mouthfeel is too watery for this style. Mostly roasted malt, alcohol, and hop flavors with some cocoa. The hops may have killed the chocolate or coffee I was hoping for. Maybe I was expecting too much, this is a really good beer, it just doesn't live up to the hype.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a stemless red wine glass.

A-Black and opaque. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Brown, frothy head topped this ebony liquid. Very thick with good retention from start to finish.

S-Fruity esters, mostly dark fruits. Some heavy roasty and chocolatey malts. A little bit of alcohol in the nose.

T-Roasted malts and bitter chocolates, over a smooth, light alcohol flavor which grew as the beer continued to warm. An assertive hop bitterness, also paired with a bitter black-coffee flavor. Some distinct hop flavors emerge near the end of the flavor, earthy and dank.

M-Some warmth materializes in my stomach after the first sip, letting me know that I'm drinking something strong. Appropriately low carbonation helps give this full-bodied beer a silky feel as it dances on my palate. Also a slight graininess is evident.

D-Very good beer, very good drinkability. Enjoyable to the last drop, leaving me wanting more (which I intend to accomplish in the near future). Top notch stout.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Original Rating Date:
October 18, 2008

Pours deep black and thick, like tar. Not much head, but the head that's there is dark brown, like the color of milk chocolate. Not too much nose, what's there is a sweet chocolaty smell. Tastes rich, dark, sweet, dark fruits. Roasted, dry finish. Thick, creamy, rich palate. Very good stout.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: nice black body with a 3 finger tannish head

Smell: nice dark chocolate and of raosted malts

Taste: very nice bite to this beer...i actually love it and it ends smooth with a nice sweet finish

Mouthfeel: very thick and silky...i love this beer...leaves you wanting more

Drinkability: very high for a RIS

this beer is worth a try

3.09/5  rDev -23.9%

02/09/09. Editing my review as I seem to have unfairly reviewed a bad bottle originally.

A fairly vigorous pour into a brandy snifter produces a beautiful puffy 2-finger tan head. The beer itself is not opaque and almost black. Good lacing. Very nice looking in the glass. (2/9- nothing changed here- good looking brew).

Pretty straightforward nose- dark roasted malt, tiny bit of chocolate, bit of hops. Smells good, just not too exciting.

Flavor is also on the bland side. Dark malts accompanied by a bit of chocolate, a bit of coffee, a bit of hops.

Body is on the thinner side of medium, but the combination of creaminess and moderate carbonation hides it pretty well.

Smooth and about as sessionable as an RIS can be. Not sure if that's such a great thing, though, since there's none of the bold flavors I'm looking for in an RIS.

Overall impression: Very drinkable RIS at a good pricepoint, but lacking in the robust, bold qualities I'm looking for in a big stout.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Full finger tan head, on top of black.

S- Tons of roasted and caramel malts.

T- Sweet big caramel malt sweetness transitions into a dry slightly bitter hop finish augmented with lots of roasted malt character.

M- Just barely full bodied.

D- Pretty approachable for an RIS.

This one helluva value in a solidly good Imperial Stout.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Now I'm kinda new when it comes to imperial stouts but I thought I'd give this one a wack.

appearance is dark as all hell! it has a thick and brownish foamy head with sticky lacing.

My nose deffinatly picked up on the alcohol. Deep roasted malts and maybe some coffee.

taste was really complex. maybe a little to complex for my palates. Like I said I'm not use to Imperial Stouts. i tasted a bitter up front, kinda hoppy. maybe some molasses or chocolate up in the mix as well.

it had a funny mouthfeel to it. bitter..

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours black with a thick mocha head that slowly reduces to a collar and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

The nose is sweet and roasty, with chocolate and coffee fighting a strong herbaceous and floral hoppiness for dominance. A bit of alcohol just barely comes through.

Rich dark roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate are right upfront, with flavors of molasses, walnut, and oak soon following. The dry finish leaves woody/herbal hop bitterness lingering for quite a while.

It falls somewhere between medium and full bodied and is not very highly carbonated, which makes for a smooth and creamy mouthfeel

I wouldn't drink a six-pack in an evening, but the smooth mouthfeel does make this strong and flavorful beer easy to drink. This is one that I have had many times, and never have I had such a fresh bottle. Don't get me wrong, I love hops - but it is even more drinkable when the hops have mellowed a bit.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer looks like any other stout -- dark as night. You'll have to dump this thing to get any real head. It smells great. Some beers smell like aluminum and taste good. This one smells great and tastes even better. Roasty. Chocolate. So smooth. I could drink 3 or 4, but I won't, because I'm responsible. But I could.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Great extra received from Auslander.

Pours a jet black with a decent tan head. Retention's lacking, but yet it leaves beautiful rings along edge. Smells of roasted chocolate, pecans, alcohol, and a slight wine-like scent.

This is a really smooth and creamy brew. Nice mouthfeel makes this an easy sipper. I couldn't drink many though due to the high ABV and the heartiness to it. As the brew warms a bit it mellows out to a nice chocolately flavor. Slight roasted bite at the end. As others stated, this reminds me of a coffee aftertaste. I really like this. This is my first RIS, but I hope not my last. Recommend.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

One of the first really good craft beers I ever had, I can't believe I have never reviewed it. So I picked up an extra while grabbing one to trade.

A-An opaque jet black with a creamy tan head and nice lacing.

S-Complex and appealing. Dark chocolate, caramel, toffee and a very strong hop presence.

T-Starts off with a nice sweetness, mostly chocolate and caramel, fading into a roasty bitterness reminiscent of coffee. A very solid hop kick finishes it off.

M-Creamy, moderately rich, could be a bit more viscous maybe.

D-Well, I have finished a growler of this myself in a day so there you go. I also learned that day that I have a mild allergy to some component of this beer. So by the end of the growler I was having a hard time breathing. I would recommend sharing with friends, loved ones or even strangers if needed. Or just step away from the growler. I would like one now actually.

HV

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Dark black color, with medium tan head, aroma is like bitter dark coffee beans and the taste is much the same with some malts but is a rich, strong and tasteful like a good porter should be. After 2 of these you get it. With this one, you have to remember it has 9.1%. Take it easy as it will get you.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked this up at the brewery. They have a unique growler filling tool that is supposed to eliminate all oxygen during the growler filling. If you're in the area pick one up. They're reasonably priced and good for return visits. The Storm King was good too. It has a nice burnt caramely flavor with a smooth aftertaste. The alcohol content is high, but you can't really notice the alcohol. Could be the king of stouts, but I'm still partial to Guiness because of the fantastic head and the availability.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company