Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Though I can find this beer in most stores, I was pleased to see a case of it sitting in the packy across the street from me. Anyway, it pours a damn near oil black color, with a small, but sticky tan head. Smell has traces of earth, a bit of coffee, and lots of milk chocolate. Taste was very similar with the chocolate flavors going off the charts. Despite the sweetness of the chocolate though, it did have a certain bitterness in the back of it. Mouthfeel was on the heavy side, but for some reason, I can drink this beer like it is nothing. I usually can down a sixer of this and feel fine. Oh well, either way an awesome beer to have around. It seems like on of those offerings that they would normally have in a bomber as a special release. Nevertheless, I think I like the fact that it is in six packs much better. One of the first big stouts I ever tried...one of the best out there in my opinion.

jamie2dope, Jan 21, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Okay I've heard so much about the great reputation of this brew...I'm anxious and excited, admittedly.

Pours a dark, satanic opaque black; like oil. Decent tan head w/ okay retention and pretty sticky lacing. Means business by appearance...

The aroma is rich and very complex...thinking of dark chocalate, rum-soaked dark fruit/prunes, a little alcahol and some hops as well but they are faint.

Taste is complex as well. Takes over initially with a very rich chocolate/molasses character, darkly roasted malt and some coffee essence. From there you get a big grassy, hoppy bitterness and some spicy fusels. The very rich chocalate/dark fruit is the pilot here, with the delicious hop profile noticeable and balances it well.

Very warming stout and unique. I truly enjoyed the hell out of this I.S. Sip it slowly as it warms. The finish is dry and very long, and retains the roasted flavor. I swear I detect raw peanuts...but this could be an herbal/grassy note from the hops...who cares this is awesome.

Go buy some....NOW.

theformula, Jan 21, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

I was introduced to Victory's Storm King Stout a few years ago by a Victory representative outside my local beer distributor ( God Bless Pennsylvania ) . As was the case I was headed in to purchase 3 or 4 cases of something else , when the young man said "here try our Imperial stout" ! , An oz or two of Storm King on the ususpecting palet is not the most exciting experience to say the least, However there was something different and complex about this beer that said " try a case of me " , so after picking up my other beers, I loaded a case and headed for home. that was Oct 2003...As is often the case with higher ABV beers, I will let them age in my wine cellar for a year or more. For some reason I had just let this case sit until Thanksgiving 2006 . This is a fantastic beer when aged. do yourself a favor, pick up a case and cellar ( 45-55 degrees ) .

mrbowenz, Jan 18, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

I had this on tap today and it wasn't as good as it was at Victory's brew pub.I'm having a 12oz bottle now.Served at slightly room temp.

3 finger brown head that is very fluffy and stays there,small lacing on the glass.DARK black body.

The smell of hops are the first thing you smell.

Chocolate and Coffee,hops are evident in the taste as well.

mouthful is slick and slightly carbonated,it leaves a dank taste on the back of your palate.

I'm starting to really have a love for stouts and the darker beers now and the first time I had storm king was at Victory and it was love at first taste.It was so good that I had to get a case of it.I plan on leaving a 6 pack of it for the rest of the year.I recommend this beer to anyone that wants to drink a damn fine stout.

***2006 bottle drank 01/09***

Ive been waiting to have one of these bad boys and tonight seems like a great night to have one.I got a case of this stuff on my birthday in 2006 and saved three bottles and my birthday is three days away.Lets see how it taste.Drank from a snifter at a cool temp.

Still pours a sexy brown head that falls fast to a nice ring.Not as coffee tasting as fresh.Still taste the roasted malts and some mild hop bite I think.Smells a bit boozy.It also smells a bit fruity.I'm not sure if I like this better aged or fresh.Its awesome fresh.It also taste like the mouthful broke down some with age.Not as slick as fresh either.This beer taste almost Belgian.I smell some oxidation now also.I may have to revisit a Storm king fresh to see how it is. :)

MmmIPA, Jan 15, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured thick black with no light going through. Small tan head that lingered throughout. Smell was roasted caramel and a slight coffee hint to it. The taste followed suit. Nice Roasted coffee like taste, very full bodied and thick, almost a meal. Perfect for desert. Slight hoppy finish with a bite! Excellent stout, yummy and full of flavor. Will definatly turn to this again!

mikesgroove, Jan 11, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Got this beer from a trade with dogfooddog, thanks again!

Appearance is an ink black beer with an off-white, creamy head.

Smell is burned with coffee notes and some liquorice, finished with a good hoppiness.

Taste of burned malts, liquorice, espresso coffee, lots of dark tastes, pretty complex. A nice bitter and hoppiness from typical American hops. Carbonation make the beer sizzling on the tongue.
Aftertaste is dry and lingering bitter. In my mouth this beer is less viscous than the beer appears when it was poured into the glass.

A great combination of US hops and black malts give this beer a great balance and complexity that very few beer can match.

Absumaster, Jan 10, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Storm King Stout pours a beautiful opaque black. Sitting atop is a large rich brown head. A couple shades darker than mocha. The lacing is extremely sticky and the carbonation looks well done. The smell is really a barrage of flavors. Ultra complex, to say the least. Huge dominate malt tones. Coffee, caramel, chocolate, and cream. Strong fruity esters including bananas and strawberries. Along with a large presence of piney hops in the background. The smell is crisp, clean, and complex. Highly dominate and worthy of a crown. Does this smell come in cologne?

Now for the first sip of this magical brew. Mmm, once again, high on the complexity scale. I am starting to understand all the hype on this one. Large coffee and chocolate presence upfront, with a permeating roastiness that lasts throughout. With a large bitter dark chocolate note following closely behind. Shows a bit of caramel sweetness at first, but fades to extremely bitter on the far end. A surge of hops hits about midway, providing some excellent bitterness to the mix. It blends with the dark chocolate bitterness perfectly and balances the malt well. Finishes crisp, and chocolaty, with a coffee espresso punch. The hops don't let go either, as they are strongly present in the finish as well.

Storm King is almost flawless, with it's amazing flavor depth and complexity. It's keen sense of the style and it's incredible hop profile. You really can't go wrong here. A world-class RIS. Highly recommended.

HoustonTX, Jan 10, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Did a Vertical of this beer tonight....an 04, 05, and 06 in that order.

I can say this is a great beer that stands up to a little age. I enjoyed all of them but I liked the 2005 the best...but it was a close race.

Really fantastic beer, all the great thing everyone else has pointed out. A fantastic beer for a vertical. I have plans to pick up more of the 2006 for the next vertical of 2006, 2007, 2008....mmm..good beer and worth the $2.50 a 120zer.

Dubbercody, Jan 07, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked up a sixer of this at the brewery while visiting Philadelphia (I think the wife was a little concerned about my sanity when a visit to Downington was the highlight of the trip). Anyway, the enjoy by date on the bottle is 3/22/11, so a few of these are going to be squirreled away in the cellar.

A: Pours a deep chocolate, almost coffee collar with one of the tannest heads I've seen in a while.

S: Rich malt notes intermingled with some hope aromas (can't place the specifics of the hops)

T: This is where it gets really interesting: Raiseny brandy sweetness in the front, notes of chocolate and coffee soon take over. There is a hoppy finish, but it doesn't start until late, after the beer has slid down the throat. As it warms it picks up medicinal notes as well. The assertive hoppiness (hoppy for a stout, the hops are quite restrained) really intermingle nicely with the roasted malts.

M: Plays across the palate a lot more than other stouts, probably due to the hops.

D: I have to say that I was a bit worried about the reputation this beer has as a hoppy stout, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is definitely one that needs to be taken slowly to be appreciated.

andrewmartin, Jan 06, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black as night. Creamy brown head that pours two fingers thick and leaves some retention. Thin lacing.

S: Smells of roasted coffee with some chocolate wafers. Earth like or tea leaves with dark fruit.

T: First sip reveals burnt astringent coffee beans followed by dark bitter chocolate. A nice hop bite pricks the palate and is smothered with the taste of caramel or toffee. This beauty finishes with a black current or sherry like aftertaste with a hint of smoke.

M: Syrupy thick. Subdued for the style and alcohol involved. Dry red wine finish.

D: Storm King is a sipper for sure. A once in awhile treat after a long days work or on a cold winter evening. I have had this on tap at the brewery and I thought it had alot more flavor and was very subtle. Good none the less! Highly recommended!

Tyrawlings, Jan 05, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this beer into a brandy snifter at cellar temperature. Very dark brown to black with a large brown head that persists. This beers nose is underwhelming. Some roast, slight burnt coffee, some boozy hints (anise?). Big roast up front of the palate, with some chocolate and what appears to me to be a substantial hop bittering backbone. Some warming alcohol and a touch of anise again. The bitterness lasts well into the finish. This beer leaves me wishing it had a more substantial mouthfeel, more creamy, with a touch more residual sweetness. Perhaps that will come thru with some age as the bittering drops.

adammills, Jan 05, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Label says "enjoy by Mar 03 11" so I assume they believe this can be aged for another 4 years. It's been in my cellar for about a year, I'd guess.

A: An aggressive pour into a pint glass yielded a midnight-black body with a fluffy 2-finger head the color of Yoo-Hoo or a chocolate milkshake. The head settles slowly and leaves some rings of lacing at the top of the glass. No more lacing on my way down, however.

S: Immediately I smell licorice and dark chocolate, with a hint of spicy alcohol. More roasted coffee notes as it warms.

T: A roasted coffee bitterness dominates early, but as it warms it tastes more of charcoal. Surprisingly one-dimensional in that aspect, as I expected more going on given (1) the nose and (2) my past experiences with this beer. Alcohol warmth isn't noted in the mouth, but I feel it in the belly.

M: The first word that comes to mind is "chalky." Despite the look, it's actually more medium-bodied and even slightly watery. Again, I was surprised.

D: All in all not bad. It went pretty well with a cannoli, but it was lighter in the body and less flavorful than I expected.

Notes: It's probably been at least 2 or 3 years since I'd had this in a bottle, but I remember being awed the first time I had it. And my experience with it on cask this past summer was more positive as well. Maybe my tastes have changed; or maybe the recipe has; or maybe cellaring this for a year has weakened its character. In any event, I found this to be a decent RIS, but a bit too one dimensional and lacking complexity. I wouldn't turn this down in the future (and I still have plenty in the cellar to drink), but I remembered this being much better.

Kendo, Jan 02, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I drank a lot of stout's in my life, but I have not sampled a huge variety of Imperial Stouts, but this is wonderful.
Poured a deep chocolate that I can't even see through holding my eye right up to the glass which is just in front of a light bulb. Creamy chocolatey 1.5 finger head which remains around the rim and small marble size bubbles on top.
Smells of sweet and dark chocolate, mocha, roasted malt, coffee, and alcohol. I have a small cold so I cannot get the nuances.

Tastes of chocolate, malt, and coffee with a even bittery hop finish.
Very nice beginning bubbly hit with a bitter aftertaste that lasted for at least 2 minutes. Alcohol so well hidden I cannot pick it up anywhere but, in the smell. This takes the cake for me! I am so happy I picked up a sixer on my trip to Chicago (Binny's) over the Holidays! My wife even picked it out and surprised me!

stouty1, Jan 01, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1%

2006 Vintage - 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours charcoal black into the glass and forms no head at all. The minimal bubbles that do surface are dark brown.

Smell: Big, bold and malty. Chocolate, almonds and alcohol.

Taste: Pinchy bittering hops hit me right away. Reminds me of some of Victory's other beers. BItterness fades and chocolate flavors make their way to the forefront. They are accompanied by roasted almonds and finishing punch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Malty and bitter. Smoothe feel and an alcohol warming burn is pleasant.

Drinkability: I could probably only drink one of these in a sitting. I think this is quite hoppy and lacking sweetness for a beer of this style, which detracts from the drinkability.

Risser09, Jan 01, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

The body was pure black liquid. A slow developing inch high dark chestnut colored head took a long few minutes to dissipate. The beer is to opaque to see any carbonation rising at all. Lacing clings in spots around the glass.

An average strength to a pleasent aroma. Smell of dark plums is the most prominent scent. Malted grains have a light quality of roasted oats. A very nice balance of hops finishes the noseful.

A storng coffee flavor hits the back of the throat. A very sweet fruit blend imixes the taste of plugs, dates, and figs. Decent alcohol quality is warming but not overpowering.

A nice thick clinging consistancy. A low amount of carbonation lets this one sit on the tongue for a while before shifting flavors slightly.

A great example of the style. Perfect beer to be sipped by itself after a meal. This is one of those must try beers for anyone who wants to try and enjoy this style.

RedChrome, Dec 31, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Victory is a relatively new offering here in Colorado. Happy to try this one once again. Hard pour earns a solid finger of dark brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells ashtray dry roasted malts and flat hop with some grassy character. Wet sweet and lactose smoothness. Caramel and toffee with a tempered coffee roast. Smells delicious.

Tastes wonderful. Wet sweet, roasty malts, chocolate, and toffee/caramel supportive. Alcohol burn is present, but clean and a nice addition. Hops are wmette-like bitter and grassy with mild bitterness. Hops in the flavor are not as strong as the hops in the aroma. Creamy sweet undertones rise up for notice and are a key for the sucess of this beer. Too much of this couldy be sickly...and that is avoided by the clean alcohol sting. Tick mouthfeel and too sharp carbonation for my preferences.

mentor, Dec 29, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A very well balanced Imperial Stout. Great aroma of fresh coffee and sweets. Full mouthfeel with a lasting pleasant bitterness. Nice creamy lacing with a thin but lasting head. Alcohol is very well hidden.
Impressive brew.
Not much wrong with it except it maybe could use more hop bitterness or tad more roast.

Enjoy date Mar 22 11

banjaxed, Dec 28, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a true opaque black. The head is a good thick cream of tan. The aroma is of coffee beans, warm brownies, and choclate cake. The taste is a little more of the choclate and roasted coffee. The hops come into play while your sippin on this one. The astringent aftertaste that is so present in this style is also on the palate. This one has a smooth finish to it, almost like oatmeal was added during the brewing? The body is big and bold. I have to say though after one I'm pretty much done; I would like to have another, but it's a little too much.

phishgator, Dec 27, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a Stella goblet. Almost completely black, off-white head, fine carbonation.

Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, molasses, slight hop presence.

Flavor matches the aroma, this beer doesn't try to do too much. Keeps it simple does it well. There is a nice hop bite on this for the finish. The high abv% is somehow very well hidden, this is quite drinkable. Mouthfeel is extraordinary.

quality...

ReebShorts, Dec 26, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 9/27/05

Pours a deep dark black with a nice sized tan head. Looks just like what a stout should.

Beer smells a bit vegetal, sweet dark roasted malts, and a touch of a bitter coffee like aroma.

Flavors are very creamy up front with a hint of alcohol, then it finishes crisp with some bitter chocolate like flavors. This is a very well balanced Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel is big, full, and very well rounded.

An excellent, and very drinkable beer. Very enjoyable, and a great example of the style.

Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for sending me this one.

flexabull, Dec 24, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This poured a very appealing, near black with a thin dark-coated tan head. Good lacing and retention. The smell is of roasted malts, coffee and smokiness. Nice but faint. The taste, however, is anything but faint with the same elements as the smell but on a grander scale. Incredibly smooth yet complex. I don't know how the alcohol has been hidden but no presence in the taste. The mouthfeel is extraordinarily light and creamy. Like whipped cream that has been melted in a latte. Exceptional. Very drinkable with the smoothness and the hidden alcohol.

Neehan, Dec 23, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So black you'd think it was left behind by an Exxon Valdez oil tanker, this brew made a bold statement as it crouched within my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass. What started off as a hearty two-finger creamy brown head settled to a bubbly lace with an attractive halo encircling the edge.

The odor was a rather potent mix of roasted coffee beans and toffee with the slightest hint of a dry red wine.

I inhaled deeply as I took my first sip and found that the odor was merely a sneak preview to a highly rewarding flavor. The initial bite of roasted coffee was followed by a mix of dark chocolate and a mild sweetness reminiscent of the aforementioned red wine aroma, rounded out with a remarkably smooth finish of burnt malt.

This is actually the third or fourth bottle I've had of this stuff, but it's the first time I didn't think it was overrated--perhaps because it's been given a chance to age several months since I initially tried it. I consider RISes to be one of those styles I really have to be in the proper mood for, as I tend to find them intense, not only because of their high ABV but because of the massive bitterness of coffee beans mixed with the tannic quality of red wine. This brew definitely packs a punch, but it at least has the decency to slip on a glove before it begins to pound away at my palate. Each sip goes in smooth, builds up in intensity, and then finishes clean with only the mellowest of aftertastes. This last feature, the mellow aftertaste, is something I hold in high regard, and something which I've found to be incredibly rare in the more intense and complex brews. The aftertaste tends to linger longer as my consumption continues, however, which bumps the mouthfeel down from a perfect 5 to a 4.5.

This is no session beer. It's more accessible than other RISes, but it's still not one I'd want to have every day, as one thing it's not (and I wouldn't expect it to be) is refreshing. On the other hand, I'd take this over the standard "winter warmer" any day of the week as a comforting way to wind down at the end of the day.

This brew has reinvigorated my respect for Russian Imperial Stouts. It's just unfortunate that most other examples of the style fail to measure up, and that this one is so hard to find and so hard on the wallet when I do find it.

instrumentality, Dec 23, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled On: Jan 28, 2003, almost 4 years old.

Sampled at cellar temp.

Appearance is good. Jet black with a mocha/tan colored head. Little bit of lacing in the glass.

Smell is very good. Dark chocolate, dark fruit, coffee and roasted malts. What an Imperial Stout should smell like.

Taste is very good. Great initial flavor of roasted malts and dark chocolate. The finish is mellow compared to a fresh bottle but it's to be expected. 4 years of aging has mellowed this beer some but the complexety is still amazing. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel is very good. Dangerously smooth for a beer with 9.1% alc.. Barely any carbonation left.

Drinkability is very good as well. Very easy to drink.

Overall:
After 4 years this beer is fantastic. Aging has enhanced this beer's characteristics for the better. I'm storing at least 12 more fresh ones for future consumption.

KingG, Dec 21, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +15%

Wow. This beer pours out a burnt motor oil black. I had to hold it up to light and tilt it so that I was looking through a very thin layer of it before I could see any brown. The head was thin but long-lasting, colored a nice tan. The smell was of coffee and dark chocolates. A very roasted smell. The taste was slightly sweet with a nice balance of hops, bitterness, and roasted malts. A very well balanced beer that warms up nicely (and warms me up nicely).

jbramley, Dec 20, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle, enjoy by 9/27/11.
Pours very thick and the darkest possible brown/black. Carbonation instantly gone. Small swirl of head in middle of glass, looks like motor oil 1000's of miles beyond it's due. Very complex smells of anise, licorice. Sweet malt smell but not roasted or burnt. Possibly even a citrusy hop smell. Hoppy taste up front switching mid-palate to a bitter roast malt flavor with a charred aftertaste. Resiny hop taste as well. Not what I was expecting from an imperial stout. Super heavy mouthfeel with low carbonation. fairly complex with different smells and tastes coming out. Almost like a hop head's stout with the bitterness in there. Very enjoyable.

vwcraig, Dec 17, 2006