Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Sixpoint

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Hmmm... had a bottle of this after it was given to me as a gift from my distributor.

My sample was not opaque... it had brown highlights in the corners of the glass. The aroma was neutral... a faint whisper of alcohol and just a little bit of roasted barley. No hops evident.

The flavor was mellow and roasted, a warming after-effect from the alcohol. The mouthfeel was subdued, I'd say it was medium to full-bodied.

This beer was very drinkable for its size. I'd definitely recommend it to my friends, and probably is one of my favorites from Victory.

03-30-2005 02:14:02 | More by Sixpoint
asabreed

Wow. I can't say that enough. Had my first Imperial pint at the Capital Ale House in Richmond, and I was thrilled to see that they still had it in stock. Being a huge Storm King fan from bottle or draft already, I was more than excited to try this.

Appearance: What you'd expect. Opaque and beautifully black, with a mocha-colored tan had that slowly dissipates as you sip on it.

Smell: The smells seem to much different from the "regular" Storm King and have gained amazing texture and complexity. Yeast. Bread. Dark, unsweetened chocolate. Dark berries. Slight coffee / mocha. Complex malts. Faint hops. Dark cherries, but it doesn't smell syrupy at all. Amazing.

Taste: All the flavors come together amazingly well. Berries up front, rather than the espresso like flavors of the bottle or regular tap. Some chocolate and malts, lingering and slight hop finish. Aftertaste of dark cherries and a faint hop bitterness. Also amazing.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but not chewy. Light and perfectly balanced carbonation.

Drinkability: I paired this with raspberry white chocolate cheesecake, and it only enhanced the flavors of both. I don't see how a cask-conditioned beer can get better than this, as Storm King by itself is amazing enough.

Please try this if you see it, especially if they still have it at the Capital Ale House when you go. It's way beyond well worth it.

03-24-2005 16:23:38 | More by asabreed
blitheringidiot

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

A 10/20/04 bottle pours a stunning buh-lack used 1973 Oldmobile used motor oil with sticky U.S. Constituition papyrus paper tan head glued to the sides.

Aromatic scents of mega hop krunch meets molasses and espresso balls out blast. Tobacco leaf and bunt cake spicey characters.

First swigs: Tongue raping wrestle of deep thick roasted malt soup. Toasted pumpernickel, grassy floral hop attenuation and spicy cinamon hidden in there.

Mouthfeel is exquisite. This is thick as soup. I'd serve it with a fork and a napkin if I owned a bar that served it.

Drinkability is massive. This puzzle could be an allnighter. As a matter of fact it has been. One night an wntire growler vanished and yours truly was to blame. This is an American Imperial Russian Stout. Start WW III with this one!

Last swigs: Good grassy burnt malts. Like Old Rasputin.

03-24-2005 06:00:44 | More by blitheringidiot
monkeybutler

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

The technical achievements of this beer have been documented by fellow beerflys here. I offer anecdotal evidence that this beer rocks on tap as well as the bottle.
The road to Victory is difficult and treacherous, but even moreso is the trip home. Don't expect to be driving well after you drink Storm King. It won't much matter, because after you've had this beer on tap, you'll be happy to live and die at Victory.
So what do we look for in an Imperial Stout? Roasty, malty, bitter, coffee, with hop balance. The King nails them all. The tap version is admittedly better than the bottle version, for all of the obvious reasons. It's fresher with more consistent carbonation and lace, and the folks at Victory know how to pour a beer.

03-16-2005 04:48:12 | More by monkeybutler
Hops1

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Dark brown in color with a slight lacy head.

Smell: Slight fruity smell with a hint of roasted malt. Took me a few times before I smelled anything.

Taste: not overpowering. Smoother than I thought. A bit pungent aftertaste but good.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I'm picky about my Stouts although this one is definately one where I could kick back and have a few.

03-10-2005 00:07:14 | More by Hops1
ramrod666

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

pours an opaque black with ruby hues and a nice two finger head that drops after a few minutes. looks delicious. smells delicious... very hoppy for even an imperial with some chocolate roasted malts barely making it to the surface. taste is beautiful. nice, dry, and hoppy at first with a nice maltiness coming through in the finish. this stuff is so good i bought an entire case today. unreal. mouthfeel is thick and somewhat oily but, has a nice carbonation for a stout. drinkability is super. this storm king goes down ya throat about as fast you'll go down if you drink more than a few. savory.

03-09-2005 02:25:13 | More by ramrod666
tgbljb

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Received a case as a Valentine's Day prenesnt from my wffe (I guess she knows the way to a man's heart).Bottled on date of Nov 18, 2004. Poured a beautiful dark color with small creamy head. Can detect hints of hops along with a dark carmel coffee smell. The taste is absolutely great. Flavor lasts in your mouth with a fantastic after taste. Can't believe its 9.1%

03-06-2005 01:38:00 | More by tgbljb
jsinnott

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours very dark, near black. Nice head. Smell is very rich, sweet, with hints of chocolate and very malty. Mouthfeel is smooth, coats the mouth nicely. Taste is amazing. Very complex with flavors of espresso, chocolate, and malt. None of the flavors overwhelm, however. Very drinkable, but like others have said, the high alcohol content can make drinking more than one or two tricky. One of my favorites. Highly recommended.

02-26-2005 17:13:32 | More by jsinnott
OStrungT

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer pours an inky black. The thick, creamy, tan head fades very slowly leaving quite a bit of laces. It smells quite chocolatey. There is a slight smell of caramel. Also, there are slight hints of hops. It tastes malty, with a good amount of chocolate flavor. It is slightly sweet. There is a slight coffee flavor to it, but only hints. This beer is a little over carbonated, I believe. But not so much that it detracts much form the greatness of the beer. It is robust. It is a full bodied beer that goes down surprisingly smoothly. The alcohol is well hidden, so this beer might sneak up on you. Because of that, it might not bee the best beer to drink all night. Unless you can dring high alcohol beers. Then drink away. This is a very good beer.

02-26-2005 02:43:37 | More by OStrungT
bnuttz

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours an opaque black with a medium sized tan head. Smells hoppy and chocolatey. Tastes of espresso and chocolate. Definitely burnt characteristics. Hopped very well, the bitterness is not shy. Mouthfeel is thick and coating, just as a good imperial should be. I could drink these all night long, even though they would wreck me. My buddy brought me a twelver back from Pittsburgh for thanksgiving, too bad I only have one left. Wish Victory distributed to WI, dont understand how they cant when both Illinois and Minnesota get it.

02-25-2005 05:13:33 | More by bnuttz
GolgiIPAratus

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled: 2.24.05

12 oz bottle - bottled Oct 21 '03

A medium pour of approximately 4 ounces into a brandy snifter causes a short burst of vivid tan foam that fades quickly. This leaves a clear view into an umber abyss, opaque at the center, circled by a translucent reddish brown hue, and finally traced by a perfect ring of delicate foam along the outer edge. It's an eclipse. Pointed celestial webbing rests on the surface. I almost don't want to drink it. Give this drink a swirl yourself and just watch.

The nose is a glowing campfire, the smoky remnants of roasted marshmallows and chocolate..hold on..it's like s'mores made with tootsie rolls! Hints of caramel confused me into wondering if Victory brewed this, or if it was Willy Wonka. Alas, no Golden Ticket under the label.

Tasting this beer is a downright pleasure. Roasted malts, sweet and bitter at the same time up front. Rolled around the palate, it's chocolatey, creamy and light all at once. The carbonation tickles the tip of my tongue. Lightly burnt smoke flavors cling after the swallowed sip, getting you excited for the next one. The alcohol barely makes an appearance. Leading to...

The drinkability of this beer is scary. In fact it's pretty dangerous. Cold, it can go down like a Guinness to the unknowing. Letting it warm can slow you down, as it tends to sit a little heavier. Me, I usually end up savoring every sip like it'll be the last until I can pop a new one and start all over again.

Overall, as the rating suggests, I highly recommend this beer as well. Just a great all around example of the style, and against other styles it's a bear, too. I'm an IPA guy and this is my favorite Victory brew that I've tried.

02-25-2005 02:51:54 | More by GolgiIPAratus
kbub6f

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Nov. 16 '04 edition.
A tiny, beige head dies to filmy islands on the clear, dark brown beer. A couple of spots of lacing. Chocolate syrup and a little cheesy funk in the nose. A fruity, chocolate front; a thick, rich, sweet, but not too milky sweet middle; a nice, smoky, bitter chocolate, molasses finish. Grapesy aftertaste. This is a very good, full, milky, chocolatey, roasty, full-flavored beer.

02-24-2005 21:23:57 | More by kbub6f

9.1% Alc./Vol.
Bottle conditioned ale.
No dates.
65 degrees

Appearance – black body; thick, light brown head; superb lace that could be hung in a gallery

Smell – orange zesty, hoppy zip; less roastiness than other ‘imperial stouts’; some coffee, solid molasses and dark fruits; the nose exposes only a hint of what’s to come

Taste – wham; roasted expresso bitterness with some dark chocolate, earthy tones and light molasses run to a grapefruit/orange rind-like bitter late that lasts for a strong and ever-present aftertaste

Mouthfeel – creamy; carbonation starts plush and lightens; nice dry finish, but not too dry

Drinkability – full-bodied but not too viscous

I have had Storm King so many times and this time was less spectacular than I remembered so I’ll modify through the six if anything changes. All in all, it’s a monster on the palate and very easy to enjoy.

02-23-2005 01:14:03 | More by Wonka
tomthumbsblues

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

When poured a 2-fingered brownish foamy head rests upon the dark brown, almost black beer. No hint of light could be seen through this brew. Slight lacing was noted. Smell was of typical roasted malt, and not much else. The taste is akin to liquid black coffee, but smoother and with hints of dark chocolate. A very smooth beer. I would drink this year 'round if they only offered it.

02-20-2005 06:04:01 | More by tomthumbsblues
pentathlete

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

At CAH 2/15/05. Temp was probably at or about 55 degrees F. Served in a 20 oz Imperial. I've had the bottled version (probably from the 11/04 batch) and this was a much better beer.

Black, opaque, 1/2 in brown head that went nowhere. Coffee, toasted walnut odors dominate. Taste dark malts, coffee, and some good hoppy bitterness. Balanced. Mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy. Sweetness and bitterness and a long finish. I was lulled into a sense of comfort and then **poof** the glass was empty. How did that happen?

I had one more. The long drive home prevented me from staying parked there for the duration. An excellent brew. I'll order it everytime until it is gone.

02-17-2005 01:40:19 | More by pentathlete
swamiswamu

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Who spiked my stout with IPA? This one's a stout with velvet gloves on roids lashing out on unsuspecting strangers. I'll never believe for a minute that this is over 9%. Like a cover of "Smooth Criminal" sung by Johnny Lydon, the hops bite covering up a more sinister intoxication. I'm usually a weary of wild experimentation of styles, but the massive hop infusion creates something new and wonderful. Eight cheers.

02-15-2005 17:59:19 | More by swamiswamu
froggyfrog

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

I had two large glasses of this stout from the tap last night at Tobias in Lancaster.
The color was very impressive - a solid black with a moderate head. The head disappeared pretty quickly but did leave a lacey film on the glass as I drank it down. The beer had a good flavor, mostly of what I would expect from a stout, and I felt that it was very easy to drink. (Didn't know it was 9.1% at the time, whoops...) However there was a strong metallic taste lingering over the flavor of the beer. I didn't notice any other reviews mentioning this so I have to assume that the metal I was tasting was a result of the keg or the tap system or something.
Overall I was happy with this beer and would like to drink it again, though I plan to get it in a bottle next time.

02-13-2005 16:43:31 | More by froggyfrog
karst

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

The first beer to follow my awesome Founders Breakfast Stout. Very dark in stout glass allows light to pass thru as deep ruby color. Head dense rich tan. Wonderful wine and toasted coffee, bitter chocolate aroma. Taste well blended (not as harsh as FBS which I liked better). Hops may be pushing the style but its ALL GOOD! Mouthfeel is full finishes clean with a nice long "goodbye" from those wonderful hops.

Going for more. Want to cellar this sweethear!

02-09-2005 16:43:32 | More by karst
Naerhu

Japan

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A big thanks to Jimbo for sending me this beauty!!!

My anticipation of how extraordinary this beer this would be was not met. Though, you can see from the high scores I gave it, that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Appearance: Opaque black body with a small brown head.
Aroma: Hoppy, char and sweetness.
Taste: Resiny hops with great slightly sweet berries and malt. Finish is an eruption of bitterness and dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel: smooth body, high alcohol noticeable.
Drinkability:

02-09-2005 00:11:37 | More by Naerhu
ggroller

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Thick, sticky, black liquid with a thick, mocha latte- like light brown, meringue head. This one looks absolutely beautiful in the glass.

It smells like a stout and tastes like one of the best. Roasty, malty at first with a balance of hops in the back. Finishes dirty and grainy. Boy, do I need another sip.

Another fine Victory creation.

02-06-2005 13:38:48 | More by ggroller
IrishMike

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottled 2004 and purchased at the local liquor store for $9.99 a six pack.

Appearance- well, it is just as you'd expect from a double-stout; black and will not allow any light to pass through it's ink color. Small, dark tan head that dissipates into a ring around the glass with a pool hanging around in the middle.

Smell- complexity is the key of this stouts game. Giving off both sweet cherries and darker tones, like roasted nuts and dark chocolate all at once is indeed perplexing. The hops and alcohol are there if you look hard enough, making this an odd balance where the beer seems both sweet and sour at the same time. Don't think that i consider this a bad thing though, and quite the opposite; i'm impressed as to how many characteristics culminate in the nose at once.

taste- Just as complex as it's smell would lead one to believe. Starts off with the roasted tones, mild caramel, dark fruits, and plenty of dark chocolate, then subsides into a solid hop bite. But the brew isn't satisfied with just that. After the hop a sweet cherry flavor pulls itself through, almost out of nowhere it seems, and then AGAIN goes back to the hop bite after the sweetness has subsided. Very elegant in the way it goes about its business; it doesn't try to pound one single flavor into you but rather gives you many to work with. A minor touch of alcohol finishes off the show.

Mouthfeel- creamy, but not as heavy as i'd like from a double stout. Still, this isn't what anyone would call "light" by any stretch of the imagination. Heavy, just not D.S. heavy.

drinkability- I would consider this extremely drinkable when you take it's style into account. I can, and have, had three in the span of a little over an hour (as my friends have dubbed it, "The Storm King Challenge"), but your average person probably wouldn't consider this a session beer. Still, even when i'm only drinking one to relax, i take it down fairly quick.

The beer that started it all for me, back when my manager at the liquor store hooked me up with a 2000 vintage 6 pack for 9 bucks (talk about a deal!). And for quite some time after i turned 21, i considered this the best beer i had ever had. Well, that may not be the case anymore, but this is still a brilliant brew in my mind. What had started out as something new and exciting for me has changed over into an old reliable, which to me means that it never really loses it's charm. This, coupled with Old Horizontal, makes up the better part of what i purchase during the winter season. I guess Victory just knows what i like. Another winner from the great brewery.

02-03-2005 02:03:22 | More by IrishMike
gimmehead

A vigorous pour resulted in a black body and a tan two finger head with gorgeous lacing. Nose was unexpected; very hoppy and not much of the chocolate/ roast coffee that I expected. Floral and citrus hops also dominated the taste, alcoholic finish. Smooth and velvety, great on the tongue.

I don't quite know what to make of this one. It tastes good, but is overhopped for the style in my opinion. Not bad on it's own, but if you're craving a rich, sweet stout save this one for another time.

02-03-2005 01:58:50 | More by gimmehead
scottbrew4u

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

I purchased this beer from the brewery in late May 2004 and let it sit in my cellar until late Jan. 2005. The beer poured out in my pint glass with a nice light brown one finger head. Deep malty aroma up front with a slight hop bouquet in there as well. The beer was jet black and very appealing to my eyes. At first taste I was amazed at how balanced it was. Then I thought maybe that would change later on. As I kept drinking it was increasing in malt complexity with some favorable dark fruity esters gliding on my taste buds.
It truely got better as it went down and I am off to buy some more for my cellar and I recommend others to buy some to age as well.

02-02-2005 16:43:08 | More by scottbrew4u
whartontallboy

4.72/5  rDev +16%

12-16-04 Bottling, poured into a tulip.
Pour is a dark black with a big tan head that slowly dissipates leaving a lot of lace. Looks yummy.
Aroma has some roasty notes in it, along with some citrus and some hops. I can pick up the alcohol, which doesn't surprise me at this ABV.
Taste, though, is amazing. Sweeter than I expected up front with some raisiny and orange-rind notes, but it gradually gives way to a very nicely nuanced roasted-malt flavor with a roasted/coffee finish. Hoppier than most huge stouts, but I think this balances the big roasty flavors extremely well.
Medium/creamy mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation dancing on your tongue. Much lighter than the designation and the ABV would make you expect, giving it a nice drinkability and smoothness.

Overall: Wow. That's what all the fuss is about, I guess. By far the best stout I've tasted in the last couple of years; I feel it takes all of the best qualities of stouts with none of the common drawbacks. If you want a big, balanced stout, look no further.

01-29-2005 01:48:39 | More by whartontallboy
Citadel82

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Serving Size 12 Ounces. Bottled December 16, 2004

Pours espresso black with a cream-like tan head that lasts and leaves sheets of sticky tan lace in its wake. Held up to a lamp ruby colored highlights are apparent.

Citrus floral hop aroma (Cascades?)with toasted malt notes.

Taste is at first citrus hop definitely something from the west coast there, with a sooth interlude of dark chocolate, with espresso coffee notes and a tangy grapefruit punch that slowly fades to nothing. This is a hop monster in my book.

Despite the high gravity this is a light bodied beer that is surprisingly crisp and refreshing.

I will drink this one again.

Pair this with a rich sweet dessert.

01-29-2005 01:28:35 | More by Citadel82