Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,421 | Reviews: 2,568
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

About two years on this bottle of Storm King. Bottles on date says Nov 14, 2005

12 ounce bottle, snifter glass

A - Brew has a vicious black color allowing no light whatsoever to pass through. About two fingers of tan head up top.

S - Big malty smell. Dark chocolate sticks out the most on the nose.

T - A very nice taste here. The hops that are very prevalent in young Storm King have faded, leaving the chocolate flvaor as the lead. The chocolate is followed by some residual sweetness. Finally, a bit of coffee like bitterness pokes around and lends itself to a nice aftertaste.

M - Nice feel here. Not as huge and full as some Imp Stouts but a good firm body.

D - I am loving this brew, and am probably drinking it too fast. This has really held up well. Tastes great and goes down way too easy for 9.1% ABV.

Notes: Two years may be the sweet spot for Storm King. I have a couple more of this vintage so I'll try to hold off on them.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Darker than a black steer's tuookus on a moonless prairie night, this one is. thin layer of tight head that goes nowhere, great lacing.

Super huge roast malty aroma. The only thing I can say is that I don't get a whole lot of layers. What's there is great, but if I had to be a picky bastard, this would be the are.

Wow. Roast, raisins, a tiny breath of alcohol, sticky bitterness at the back of the throat; I can't believe I haven't tasted this beer before.

There's a weird combination of thinnish body but very creamy carbonation with this one. I usually think of this style as really thick, but this is really great.

Buy this beer! Drink it and enjoy. I'm going to sip on this all winter.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A black as night stout that swallows all light like a black hole. A one fingered tan head tops off this mysterious looking brew that settles to a light cap. As it is consumed some spotted lacing is left behind.

The smell makes this very appetizing. Roasted malt, chocolate, espresso, and floral hops all are evident. It smells delicious.

The taste is just awesome. And I don't even drink that many RIS (the best I have ever had). Malt, chocolate, coffee, and hop flavors are perfectly balance to make a complex and big beer. Alcohol leaves a slightly warming effect as it slides down the throat. Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and feels extremely smooth. The high alcohol is the only thing that will keep a person from drinking several of these in an evening.

Edit: 03/03/12
A beer a batch earlier than the one I reviewed in 2007. Best by date of Sept 13, 2012.

Definately looks like an aged beer at this point. Still dark as night but a slight head forms and quickly settles to a skim of suds on the surface. Light lacing is left down the glass during consumption.

In the aroma the hops and alcochol have died away. Replaced by black licorice and an earthiness.

Not hot as fresh either. It does not benefit from age as stouts like Expedition Stout, but it definately has a distinct flavor. A lot of anise and chocolate. The hops and alcohol have definately mellowed. Slightly oxidized.

I would lower the body score. More recent stouts offer fuller bodies. Aging has no effect.

Without the hops this beer is not as good as I remember it. Maybe more of a B+ stout.
4.5
4.0

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The pour looked like someone dumped India Ink into a glass with a half a finger dark tan head. Absolutely beautiful. Tasted of heavy malts up front; chocolate and espresso. The finish is the kicker. The heavy espresso melted into a creamy cup of java. High praise for Victory.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle an inky black with a rich malt brown head and good amount of sticky lacing.

Aroma of chocolate, caramel, and dark ripe cherries and raisins.

Tastes of coffee, chocolate and charcoal with a good amount of crisp bitterness which lingers long after the swallow. The fruits are more hidden as is the 9% alcohol.

Mouthfeel is on thinner than I had expected. Carbonation was light.

This is a RIP that I'd love to have on a snowy winter day. Enjoy one yourself.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours black like Newgate's knocker, amber tints barely perceptible against its shroud of opaque midnight, topped with a dark taupe head one finger tall. It subsides, leaving spots of lacing down the walls of the glass. Roasted malt in the nose, with an undercurrent of dark fruits, and a healthy floral hop note offsetting it just enough to remind you that you are not in Siberia. When cold, the astringency is more prominent, with a healthy carbonation anchored by the roasted chocolate and coffee base, a touch of figs, and an earthy bitterness that lightens the mouthfeel. Clean, and thin, but when warm, gets more complex, with notes of vanilla and stronger fruit, the hops fully emerging yet subordinate to the malt. Finishes very crisp for a stout, with coffee lingering like a halcyon memory. I paired this particular session with a Morbier AOC, its objectionably good aroma and rich flavor with wood ash a good match for the flavor profile.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Good one!!! I actually let this one warm up a bit before drinking it. Used a 16 oz tumbler. Pours a dense, light free black/dark brown color with a medium sized head....big head on a hard pour. The head retention is pretty good...goes down very slowly. Thick lacing on the glass. Very prominent and distinct nose. Smells like a Belgian...dark fruits (plum and dark cherries) and raisins. First taste is like a Belgian, astringent, dark fruits...but mouthfeel is thin and watery. Second sip corrects all this. Taste starts out the same, but the coating on the tongue and tastebuds show this to be a rich and flavorful beer. As you drink, the malt characteristics come out and the beer seems less astringent and more crisp and malty. Drinkability is good for this high level abv. A great beer, would enjoy it even more on a cold day.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

Pours out nice and dark, although with little head for a stout and almost no lacing. It has a nice deep scent, with nice chocolate and roasted scents, although not as strong as many stouts. Good coffee taste with a nice deep flavor. Although this stout has a high ABV, the alcohol flavor is extremely slight, not overshadowing it’s nice taste at all. It goes down smoothly and is a good imperial stout, well worth a try or six.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Tasted at Jerry's on Division.

Finally, a chance at a legend...

This one poured a dark, dark brown - almost black - with a thin, cocoa-colored head. It's cold, too cold for a proper tasting - but I can't help but dive right in. Patience has never been a virtue of mine.

The cold, biting brew conjures images of being plunged into a glacial ice crevasse -- the palace of the Storm King. It's slick, with strong bitter chocolate and earthy charcoal. It may be the temperature (and the astringency), but this is the "cleanest" tasting stout I've ever had. It's like a dark, bitter blizzard -- but I'm hooked.

Next time, I'll have to wait for it to warm up and really get to see what is going on here...

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Very dark black, just like black coffee. Head is orange and lingers for a few, but then dissipates.

S- Strong fig, toffee, coffee beans, cocoa.

T- Tastes malty like malt balls then finishes with strong coffee flavor. I don't favor coffee, but I love this brew!

M- Very malty and thick.

D- Drinkability is good, but a little on the stong and rich side. Nice one though!

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a six pack at BevMo Huntington Beach, CA. Poured into a chimay chalice. Perhaps not the best choice in glassware for a Russian Imperial Stout.
Looked okay. It was a dark dark brown, light black color. Thin head, decent lacing, swirling oil spill look on the top
Smelled very good. Lots of fruity alcohol, similar to a Belgian Quad.
Tasted good. A bit of alcohol in the back of the taste. A load of chocolate malt
Mouthfeel was a bit thin for such a taste. With such a heavy malt load, I expected a thicker, fuller mouthfeel
Drinkability was pretty good. I finished the 12 oz bottle in about 30 minutes. Recommended

3.45/5  rDev -15%

From bottle into pint glass, at a bar.

Pours out dark, smells promising.Nice chocolate head, good carbonation, swirls around and settles. I'd been looking forward to trying it. Has nice espresso taste. Hoppy, too hoppy for me.Seems to have a thinner mouthfeel than what I expected. Glad to buy the bottle before I bought the case.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Just cracked a bottle from last winter's run - all I can say is WOW! When I had this last winter (Jan-Feb 2007), it was a good imperial stout but now, with just a few months of aging, this stuff is much better than I recall.

Pours an intense black/dark brown with a nice tight tan head that recedes slowly with moderate lacing lingering on the glass.

The aroma is powerful (as an Imperial Stout should be!) with primarily licorice and coffee mingling with a definite alcohol punch. After the licorice and coffee subsides, a nice roasted caramel malt lingers on the nose.

Taste mirrors the smell - almost an anice/licorice flavor with dark roasted coffee complexity - malty with a bit of hoppiness to finish with a very nice balance. Probably (with a bit of aging) one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had in several years.

Nice and weighty on the tongue - not overly thick but noticeable density. A pleasant creaminess that lingers.

I am intrigued to pick up the new season's Storm King and compare it with last year's version. I definitely think a 6-8 month aging has allowed this big stout to mellow a bit but don't let that fool you - these aren't beers to drink all night but a couple in one sitting are a definite treat.

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer was just a little too complex for me, drank fridge cold and room temp, better closer to room temp, think predominant flavor was toffee and coffee, remember those hard coffee candies I think they are now called nestle nips, that is this beer for me. Alcohol in this packs a real punch to the brain but is not dominant in finish. I may consider this beer again on a winter evening, in front of a fire when I am ready to pass out in a big comfy chair, stout drool on my chin. To me not a six pack beer get a single and save for that special occasion. Purchased from Westover Market in Arlington, VA.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Today I'm getting all the cell phone reviews out of my phone.I bought a sixer of this and re reviewed 12-2-07. Same reviews except the head is ridiculous in my tuli

Black color with good head and retention THis is ridiculous. The lacing clings and wont let go of my glass.

Smell consists of licorice and tofee with some roasted chocolate malts.

This beer has a good complexity . Licorice and tofee with caramel and chocolate all come out on the palate. This beer finished with a touch of vanilla. Wonderfully complex and drinkable.

Nice creamy mouthfeel with exceptional drinkability. I could make a damn good session out of this.

Pours black with a small tan head. Aromas of coffee, dark chocolate and a toffee-ish alcohol. In the taste, a dry coffee and a bigger alcohol presence than in aroma. A smooth malty mouthfeel and a bitter chocolate malt aftertaste. Nice hop presence and fantastic. GO Storm Kings!!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Have had this bottle a few months and since the weather started to get cold, decided to open it up. Served cool in my trusty pint glass and allowed to warm up. The appearance is coal black. A small tan head fades to lacing that lasts forever. I can’t see through it at all even when holding it to the light.
Smells of hops as well as roasted malt. Smells like a Russian Imperial Stout should. Taste is initially strong of roasted malt with some hop bitterness. Later, the hops show up stronger although in the end the roasted flavor wins out.
Minimal carbonation with medium mouthfeel.
When fresh, the alcohol dominated the flavor, but now it is not very noticeable and just provides a nice warming sensation. For a RIS, it is easy to drink. The strong roasted malt and hop flavor limit me to a couple bottles. This is not my favorite RIS but it is very good.

2.8/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: I was very excited on the first pour since it lived up to it's exceptionally dark and bold image

Smell: Typical RIS smell but more to the hoppy/nutty side

Taste: WAY too alcoholic for my tastes. The only other stout I've ever had that had a more dominating alcohol character was a Yeti IS which I hated. It makes every little sip a bit too far on the harsh side for me personally. Almost like drinking a brandy. But if you like drinking brandy...

Mouthfeel: Nice. Nothing special, but nice.

Drinkability: For me its barely drinkable enough to keep me from pouring it down the drain due to the 'way too alcoholic' character. There's actually a very good stout behind all that alcohol though.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pours a very deep and dark black hue with a tan creamy head that leaves a wide swath of lacing around the glass
S- Nose is of dark roasted malts with a heavy coffee/espresso emphasis, some subtle sweet caramel and earthy tones, subtle alcohol and floral hops
T- Taste is dominated by very sweet and sugary malts and cocoa backed by a range of citrus and pine hops, coffee picks up midway through and caps up the finish along with some bittering hops
M- Full-bodied IRS with a very creamy and smooth texture, nicely carbonated
D- Very smooth and creamy IRS that is well-balanced and easy to drink even at 9%abv, but I think it still can't quite hang with the big, bold, and complex west coast IRS offerings, I may or may not pick this up again in the future

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Good dark stout look. A fingers worth of light tan head and a small bit of lacing as you go.

Smell: Scents of caramel, roasted chocolates, a bit of coffee, and a touch of hoppiness.

Taste: Doesn't do much for me. A split second of good stout flavor quickly gives way to an overly bitter taste that sticks around for too long. Not what I was looking for in a stout.

Mouthfeel: Good thickness. Flavor coats your mouth and sticks around for a while, too boad it's not the flavor I wanted.

Drinkability: Would be much higher if the taste was better. Not too offensive tasting, but not something I would try again. Surprised, given the high rating.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A thick ebony black body topped with a mocha/tan head that stays for days

S: Earthy tones are offset by a dash of sharper hops... about standard roasted notes for a great stout.

T: Roasted malty goodness... all the earthy flavors are present (think coffee, chocolate, licorice, and molasses) and are interupted with what i believe to be an orange peel rush before returning to the roasted malts

M: Delightfully thick yet surprisingly smooth

O: You would never know this stout was hitting the scales at over 9% with the way this goes down

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Wow, what a great imperial. Absolutely no light penetrated the glass. Nice lacing along the sides all the way through the drink. Slight undertones of mocha and malt. Very nice milky mouthfeel, with a little tingle on the tip of the tongue. Mild, smooth finish, with not as much of an alcohol aftertaste that I have experienced with other imperials. This is one of the best imperials I have tasted. Would love the opportunity to experience on tap. Highest recommendations.

[my review is updated for the 2007 release]

I rated this beer 4.1 when I tried the 2006 release. The 2007 release deserves a new review and my first 5 rating.

For 2007, the hops have been toned down a bit and the chocolate has been turned WAY up. I love chocolate stout, so this is a good thing.

This beer deserves a new category, "imperial chocolate stout."

The hops are there and come through in the smell. But the taste is so perfectly balanced that no one component dominates. There is something in here for every stout lover: some hops, some malt, lots of chocolate, just a hint of vanilla - a bit of everything.

This would be a great beer to drink with dessert.

The mouthfeel is perfect, not syrupy at all. Velvety.

Run, don't walk, to get some of this beer!

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Recieved this bottle as part of my Summer Spper BIF 2007.

Bottled on December 16, 2004.

Poured a deep dark almost black color with hints of mahogany around the edges. Tan head settled fairly slowly to a thin layer of foam. Aroma is a nice blend of coffee, and some flowery hops. Coffee flavors predominate, along with a very faint and mild hoppyness to it. Mouthfeel is very smooth and full bodied.
A very good, drinkable stout. It has aged very well, flavors/aromas blend together well, making this one a pleasure to behold. My only regret is this was my only bottle and i should have saved it for a special occasion. Well, the beer was so good it made this night seem fairly special indeed.

4.76/5  rDev +17.2%

Brought this monster back from my recent trip to Chicago. This is the last of the 3 or 4 that I brought, DAMN!! Comes in a pretty cool bottle with a best by date of March 9, 2012. Drank from my Dead Guy Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super deep dark black with almost blood red hues mixed throughout. Super creamy one finger head recedes fairly quickly leaving no cap but a nice thin collar. Leaves very little lacing that quickly follows the beer down the glass.
Smell- Dark roasted malts have a sweet burnt caramel like quality. Very gentle cocoa powder and espresso beans show through along with some alcohol. Not as big of a nose as I’ve smelled in other IRS’s but still nice. The only weakness (minor*) in this beer.
Taste- Dark roasted French roast coffee with an instant kick of bitter baker’s chocolate. Nice blasts of citrus that seems like it should be out of place but blends in perfectly. Hints of molasses and smoke show at times but for the most part this beer is dominated by the chocolate and fruit. Finishes with a bitter coffee aftertaste and amazingly at about 10% ABV, the alcohol shows almost zero.
Mouthfeel- Big, thick and creamy. Feels like this beer should feel like. Silky smooth with very little carbonation.
Drinkability- This beer is a couple chocolate chips away from being a brownie in a bottle. It’s so freaking good. Goes down so easy and smooth despite the big ABV. I really wish I had more access to this brew. When I eventually move back to Chicago this beer will have a permanent spot in my beer fridge and cellar. Great stuff!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company