Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured black with a nice little tan head. It didnt leave much lace though.

S - Dark roasted malts. Hints of chocolate, coffee, and some kind of molasses or sweet scents. These always remind me of chocolate covered cherries.

T - Right on the money for a double stout. Colmplex but light afforementioned flavors swirled together to make this an enjoyable experience.

M - Little carbination and very smooth.

D - Due to the High alcohol this a once a night beer for me. But I look forward to it everytime.

quasimoto, Nov 10, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This poured to a thick, dark black with a minimal head that faded to a ring. There's a medium amount of lace being left behind.

The smell is full of roasted malt, chocolate, and hops. Hop content is assertive without being dominant. There's plenty of other flavor to strike a balance with. The taste starts off malty, turns to chocolate, then finishes with hops and more roasted malt. The mouthfeel is solid and pleasing without being too heavy. Drinkability is off the charts.

watermelonman, Nov 10, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottled Jan 2005

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head that fades to a decent cap that leaves some pretty good lacing.

Smell; floral hops stand out the initially, coffee, bittersweet chocolate and just a litlle bit of alcohol.

Taste; you get those hops right up front, but not as powerful as the smell would lead you to believe. There's some of the coffee, and chocolate sweetness in there, with just a hint of some dark fruits. Mouthfeel is medium to full, and much creamier that I was expecting. This is almost to easy to drink with such a high abv. I hope I can manage to get a hold of some more of these.

RedHaze, Nov 09, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle...bottled less than 2 months ago.

Pours black with about an inch of tanish brown head.
Immediately can smell a big dark roasted coffee aroma with a slight background of dark unsweetened chocolate. I get a very slight bitey hoppy type aroma as well.
This is a big tasting beer. Full of flavor. Burnt coffee, slight chocolate flavor although not as much as expected after experiencing its smell. Throughout drinking this brew a bitter hop flavor is more and more present which i think contributes to a slight licorice taste...sort of a hop/dark coffee combo creation. Considering the is 9.1 abv I expected a bit more of an alcohol taste which is definately there but not as prevelant as expected. Nice balance of malts/hops. This has a heavy thick mouthfeel to it. Victory sure makes some satisfying beers. This is one of their best.

Matthew, Nov 08, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

I love beer. Sometimes, I come home from work and try a mediocre beer and enjoy it even though it might not really impress me that much. Other times I will drink something that I am very accustomed to. I still enjoy it, but since I drink it so often, I might not appreciate it as much as I should. Times like this, I feel the need to profess my love again, sort of like a renewal of vows.

It poured a DARK brown, almost pitch black, but still had a brown hue. Natural wool colored head (Doesn't that sound delicious?). The head didn't stick around too long and there was only light lacing. The smell was faint, a hint of alcohol and chocolate. But then. . . The taste.

I love stouts. The more chocolaty and coffeeish, the better. I have never had one like this though. It's like a nice mellow coffee, licorice tasting imperial stout (with a bit of alcohol taste) was minding it's own business, walking down the street when, WHAM, it was hit by an 18 wheeled hop truck. When the smoke and carnage clears, the storm king stout is in its place.

The finish was a mixture of the stout and hoppy tastes. A testament to the balance of this beer. I think a case is in order.

BitterBrian, Nov 08, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

My first stout of the season and I was not disappointed.

This pours a deep, dark amber/brown. No light gets through the pint glass. The head doesn't stay around that long.

The aroma is filled with chocolate, coffee, raisins, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste follows through with the same chocolate, coffee, raisin and alcohol notes but this time the hops come through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is hearty but not as thick and syrupy as I expected.

This is a very drinkable beer. The alcohol is there but masked with a host of complex flavors. This one is good all the way threw. And, as a hop head, it is nice to see more of a hop presence in a stout.

Terp96, Nov 07, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottled on Sept. 27, 2005 a few hours east of here.

Dark black with almost no transparency, even when held to direct light. Creamy dark khaki colored head the color of the foam on espresso. Moderate sticky lace and a constant ring til the end of the beer. I think this beer made my apartment a little darker.

Smell is kind of alcoholic, which covers a few of the subtleties of this brew. Other than that, all bittersweet chocolate and really good espresso. Tiny hop presence here that only serves to make this smell very fresh and clear, not mucky at all.

Holy crap...coffee, espresso, smooth dark chocolate with a sweet finish. Definitely very smoky/roasty, alcoholic presence in the background, but by no means is this overwhelming nor does it detract from the flavor. Big big beer, but still very manageable, very complex, keeps me guessing. Almost a citrusy hops thing somewhere? Maybe?

Smooth, viscous, maybe a little bit on the thin side, but that's fine with me, still REAL sticky and thick.

Far and away the most drinkable double stout I've ever had. This would've gotten a 5, but if you've been following my reviews (and I seriously can't imagine why you'd follow my reviews, you weirdo) you'd know that I tend to take off .5 or so just for being high abv. I know this unfair to some styles, but I just can't session beers that are 8%+ and still enjoy their flavor.

Opening this was a beerlicious experience.

veggiemafia, Nov 03, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Deep black in color with a thick 2" tan head. Carbonation levels are low, and some spotty lacing developed through the drink. The nose was big on roasted malts, chocolate, alcohol, and bitterness. The flavor is of roasted malts, coffee, licorice, bitter chocolate, and sports a strong bitterness level. Alcohol is definitely noticeable, but it compliments the overall flavor.

Medium / heavy in body. The mouthfeel is smooth with a touch of crispness at the start. The finish is smooth with a touch of dryness. Great drinkability but these will catch up to you quickly.

Gavage, Nov 02, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Black as night. Moderate-sized dark tan head, below-average retention.

Smell: Malty, with plenty of citrusy hop notes and fruity aromas. I'm getting some black cherry, molasses, coffee, with a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Much smoother than I expected for a brew this strength. Thick and creamy with an initial sweetness of dark malts and a bit of cherry. The hops quickly dominate the taste, with plenty of citrus and floral notes. Carbonation is a little light. Although a hefty brew at 9%ABV, the alcohol is barely perceptible, just a bit of warmth. Finishes nicely, with a bitter, malty finish and aftertaste more like a normal stout.

Overall: Surprisingly drinkable for such a strong and flavorful stout. Just an amazing beer in all aspects.

tom444, Nov 01, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle to a pub glass. Bottled on January 14th 2005.

Appearance: Pours nearly a perfect blackness. There is a ruby colored opaqueness when held to the light. The head never really rose more than a fingers width but had a nice carmel coloration. No lacing in evidence.

Smell: This is definately the low point for this beer. Smells like citrus and alcohol grassy. Nothing unpleasant just not better than average.

Taste: A bold tasting stout lots of coffee on the front with a great chocolatey back taste. The hops play nicely with the roasted malty goodness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer. This is what I am talking about when I want a stout. Smooth all the way through and really got better as the beer warmed up.

nlmartin, Nov 01, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -12%

Bottled December 16th, 2004.

Espresso black but ruby and transparent when held to light. Patchy, greyish-brown head that will not get past 1/2 inch in height. Modest but noticable lace pattern.

Very vinous roasted malt base sits atop reedy alcoholic vapors compounded with prickly cascade hop cones. Grassy. Chocolate lingers on the palate with a clanging, discordant roastiness.

Initially chalky and grainy - somewhat clunky - receding into a bracing wall of bitterness with a chocolate and alcohol afterglow.

Weird, out of place carbonation bites into my tongue and palate. Makes everything seem strangely thin; none of the chewy viscocity I crave in RIS.

Drinkable? Yes. Outstanding? No. I don't think age will do much to this as it is so thin already. I hear this year is a particularly broke vintage.

GreenWBush, Oct 31, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Deep black and opaque with a thin tan-colored head which barely covers the top of the beer.

It smells really good, mostly hoppy. The smell and flavor both remind me of Old Rasputin. Overall the taste is exceptional: Hops, but not bitter. Chocolate and coffee, but not burnt.

This is a great beer, and I'm saying this as a person who doesn't prefer stouts. It's a really good value and easy to find. Victory does it again (Golden Monkey and HopDevil are both excellent as well).

TurdFurgison, Oct 30, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance - This is a beautiful beer. Pours out thick and creamy. Settles into a nice dark brown with a medium sized head. You cannot see through this even held up to the light. What a wonderful looking beer.

Smell: Strong coffee/Chocolate notes here. Slight alcohol smell.

Taste: Wow! I found my new favorite beer! (October 27th, 2005) Tastes of coffee, chocolate and caramel.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the thickest beers I have ever had. That is a good thing. Am I gushing? I should be... This is the perfect beer

Drinkabilty: Can I take this I.V.? This beer is a meal in itself and I want the buffet. Congrats to Victory! You have a great brew here! I defy anyone to point out a better double stout!

maddamish, Oct 28, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottled November 2003. Beautiful pour into a tulip glass with a dark chocolate brown head. As the head slowly dissipated, the nose was very nice and welcoming. What a tasty stout. On one hand it was so smooth and easy to drink like a good regular American stout. As it warmed, its depth and complexity shined through. Bitter chocolate, ice coffee, even some black cherry. Very drinkable for the style.

lou91, Oct 26, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +2%

Black body, brown head that is loose and the sea foam eventually falls to a ring outer shell. First drink leaves lace and the rest slides with the alcohol. Nice to look at for sure.

Pours a silky, creamy black syrup. Head starts out mocha colored and after the initiall pour fades to an khacki color with patchy lacing.

Bitter hops up front, Floral boquet that is squashed by charred wood. Slippery mouthfeel that finishes quite dry. This has a great mix of all the essentials without a big winner. Some coffee charectaristics, marginal choclolate, burnt qualities, Rich body, but in balance and well put together. Alcohol is well hidden and really an afterthought. Mild warming on the finish. Medicinal comes to mind in the aftertaste. Its an afterthought on a great beer. This went down way to easy.

Victory once again produces a well thought out and put together brew. Details from the brew down to the modest yet inviting graphics on their labels they are a top notch brewery.

DogFood11, Oct 26, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A winner of a beer from Victory. Poured out to a black cloud like mass. Nice brown head came down to a thin layer of foam after a few minutes, with lace leaving it's mark on the interior of the glass. Lower carbonation. Aromas of coffee, roasted malt, nuts, grain and mature hops fill the nose with anticipation. Taste is complex and rich; flavors of coffee, caramel, malt and some hop bitterness is nearly overwhelming, yet still totally enjoyable. Mouthfeel was thick and creamy, with an almost chewy consitancy of the moist granola bar. Drinkability is good; this beer is a staple when it comes to quality Double Stouts. Recommended.

Frozensoul327, Oct 18, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Another impressive beer from the brewers at Victory. Pours deep black, absolutely no transparence in this one. Swirling head that rimmed out nicely. Big, complex flavors. My first impression is nutty (walnut) followed by a generous helping of smoke. Very unique, very bold.

This is a creamy stout that finishes a bit rough; there is a bitter bite at the end. Big alcohol diminishes its drinakbility.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Oct 15, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Black and brown... near syrupy, but not quite. Very slight tan head with excellent stick. Grows with every swirl. This is one of those beers that excites on the pour. Nice. It just looks good.

Aroma is chocolately with bourbon or sherry. Sweet. Malty. Mapley. Absolutey brialliant on the nose. Big aromas.

Smooth and creamy on the palate. Flavor has a touch of hops on the back end. Smokey, raisiny, chocolatey, coffee, alcohol, butterscotch...

A wonderful beer.

Fugazme, Oct 12, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottled Dec. 7, 2004.

Appearance is very dark brown with a nice grayish tan head that actually leaves a ring around the glass that doesn't go away. Smell is a tad fainter than I would prefer but very nice nonetheless. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and citrus are all in there. Taste starts out like the usual American Double Stout with a boatload of roasted malt and some dark fruit, but that's just the beginning. As it makes its way through your palate, you pick up a very strong coffee flavor, that citrus that was in the smell with a little pine needles as well, and some chocolate. There is a definite vinous characteristic throughout. And then the finish...DOES it finish? I really wouldn't know because I still have a little left in my glass and even once when I was forced to take 3 agonizing minutes between sips, I could still taste it. The finish is full of strong bittering hops backed up by a nice dark chocolate and coffee flavor. There's even some vanilla in there. And the roasted malt lingers as well. Simply incredible. At first I had the taste at a 4.5, but as it warms this beer really opens up with flavors you didn't find before. I think I even tasted some cinnamon.

It's like Victory just threw whatever they had around in there and it somehow merged into a beautifully balanced stout. Like the brewmaster said, "Here's some roasted malt...hey Bill you using these cascade hops? No, ok I'm throwing em in, how about this chocolate? Or these spices? What about this hamburger...? Oh you're still finishing that. Ok never mind." Anyway, I'm glad they didn't throw the hamburger in, though if you've ever had the hamburger at Victory it is DAMN good. To this day I have not had a better burger. But anyway, I think the alcohol might be getting to me a bit in this one as I'm almost finished. 9.1%? I can't taste it at all. Mouthfeel is excellent, perfect for this creation. Nice and thick and creamy - exactly what you would want without being too heavy. Drinkability is off the charts. I may have 3 or 4 more! This is world class. It's maybe even on the less extreme side of American Double Stouts these days, but it's nearly perfect for what it is.

PatYoda, Oct 11, 2005

With today's weather being a bit chilly I thought I'd pull out one of my Storm King's, which to my surprise I had not yet reviewed.

Deep black body with a thick tan head. Smells like roasted malt and chocolate. Tastes much the same, but with a smooth hoppy finish. Immidately warms my body and spirit.

This beer continues to earn it's place as a world class stout and a must for all to try.

fdrich29, Oct 09, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

As other BA's have mentioned, beer combines some of my favorite characteristics in stout, but doubled with the hop and you have Storm King. A coffee velvet mouthfeel, combined with the bite of hops, and subltle carbonation makes this a truly unique stout. Not for the faint of heart though, very strong and heavy...Perfect for those cold winter nights in front of the fire. Victory is mastering their craft. Now if I can only find on draft...

pretzellogic, Oct 08, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Updated Review: 2-06-2010

This one pours a clear dark black with a creamy tan film of head that leaves some nice lacing along my glass.

Smells of sour grains, sweet chocolate syrup and a funky sour cough syrup rounded off with a disconnected piney hop.

Tastes of sweet root beer and distant chocolate that fades into a sour cough syrup. This then awkwardly falls into a piney hop that lingers long in the finish with red grapefruit peels. The balance here is pretty bad.

Feels clean and airy with a soft swarm of carbonation that seems to avoid my tongue.

A mere shadow of what this was five years ago. This is pretty gross, in my opinion. I regret buying a six-pack.

Original Review: 10-04-2005

This beer pours nearly black with a slight obsidian glow. After a hard pour, the head looked like tiny copper ball bearings that faded to white and collapse all together in a few minutes.

On the nose, there's a subtle cocktail of coffee, hops, pineapple and plumbs. There's also a tiny bit of alcohol that I had to really sniff out.

The flavor is absolutely amazing. Big sticky black malt with only a slight roasted flavor that transitions into fruity hops. To further explain the flavor of this beer, it seems that the sweetness of the malt blends into the sweetness of the hops. But wait, there's more. In addition, the dryness of the roasted malt blends into the dryness of the hops. So, you get a blend of caramel and chocolate malt sweetness, that is seamlessly blended with citrus and port-like hops. On the dry end, the coffee notes blend easily into the tart plumb skin-like dryness of the hops. I find this to be truly amazing and unique in beer. My favorite aspect of this beer is that in between the transition of malt to hops all sorts of fruity port, plumb, prune, red grape flavors make themselves known only for an instant. It really boggles the mind to drink. I'm disappointed to only give this category a 5.

This is a very viscous beer with minimal carbonation. What little carbonation helps with the dynamics of the drinking, perhaps delaying the onset of the fruitiness related to the hops. There's a good thick body that just slides down your throat.

I'm the kind of guy who, on the hottest day of the summer, will still reach for a stout first. That's just me. I'll have to say, this beer is hands down my favorite. Not too much coffee, and some delicate sweetness with some mystical guest appearance of subtle flavors that appear out of nowhere. That, and the price is right on for a stronger beer. Here's to Victory!

As a side note, the beer is far hoppier when it is cask conditioned at the Victory Brewery. There are big pacific north west hops flavors that dominate the roasted malts. This is an absolute must for the hop-head who wants to take a trip to the dark side. However, the hoppiness of the cask detracts from the subtle blend that I rate so highly.

A+

DarkerTheBetter, Oct 04, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

A: A respectable tan head slowly arose after a hard pour and then subsided to a frothy ring. The brew, a dark brown, is actually lighter than most stouts of this stature. The goblet is covered with lace by the end of the drink.

S: It hit my nose as soon as I popped the cap. So much going on here... roasted malt, beautiful hops aroma, coffee, chocolate, and honey(?). Delicious.

T: Tons of wonderful hops flavor is balanced surprisingly well with the malt and flavors of dark chocolate and espresso. A blast of hops bittnerness in the finish completes the experience. The alcohol is very well hidden in this one.

M: Nice and heavy with a very smooth carbonation that is perfect for the style.

D: This is a stellar beer. This one doesn't have the motor oil-like mouth feel of the Stone RIS, but its taste is smoother and for $8.99 a sixer, you just can't beat the value. Not even with a stick. Buy this beer, drink it often.

klewis, Sep 27, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Now Quaffing: Victory Storm King Stout

Pours a deep, dark brown--nearly opaque. Head is almost white and recedes quickly with some nice sticky lacing. Absolute delicious aroma of rich cocoa--I could smell this one all day. Taste is the same rich cocoa with a good dose of floral hops. Finishes fairly clean, without much lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick without being syrupy. Dangerously drinkable. This is one of the best stouts made in this country, too bad I can not get it on a regular basis.

TripelJ, Sep 26, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unbelievable looking,a dark rick color with a full three finger head.Very aromatic with a kinds of spices.I don't have the best nose ,but I could detect coffee and carmel with no bitterness.A full flavor with a little bit of fruitness and spices.This is one of the more drinkable stouts.I rank this very high.

jmz62565, Sep 21, 2005