Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,420 | Reviews: 2,568
4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: A twelve ounce bottle with a picture of what must be the Storm King himself. Pours a down right opaque black with a very foamy tan head about three fingers worth. The head thins out quick.

Aromas: Heavy dark roasted malt notes. Light hop notes along with espreso notes.

Taste: The malts in this one are roasted something dark a great mark of a great Russian Imperial. Espreso notes show through so very well. Although it does taste somewhat traditional when it comes down this style. It has suttle qualities like few do. It's very full bodied and or wondefully heavy. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth like melted dark chocolate.

Notes: This is the first brew I have ever had from Victory let me tell you this was a great first beer to try from Victory. If other beers from there have as much flavor for each of there repspective styles that they brew. I can hardly wait to try more. A great beer to be enjoyed certainly during the fall and winter months. But very nice all a cool night during the summer. Cheers.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

I was able to pick up this legendary stout on a trip to Portland OR of all places even though I live only 6 hours from Penn.

A beautiful huge foamy milk chocalate colored head sits on top of this perfect jet black body. Heavy lacing is left as the head fades. Nose is a sweet cola induced malty feel with smokey notes that are almost meaty. Slightly thinner than I expected as I take my first sip. Slight hop bitter meets dark burnt malt bitter. Yerns for a bit more richness. Alchol is very well hidden until it hits the belly. Silks out overall, but the bitter stays strong. Mouthfeel stays along that same line. This is a drinkable stout, but I have many other prefrences in this stellar catagorie.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Beer pours very dark and retains a tan creamy head. Some lacing present. Substantial mouthfeel that starts off with an fairly intense coffee taste with a fade to bitter chocolate...but not to bitter. This is a very tasty beer with a heavy malt taste that is well balanced with hops at the finish. You can tell this is a strong beer when you taste it but it has exceptional drinkability and you can get in trouble with this one if you get carried away.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had bought a six pack 6 months ago and cellared it. I decided to start trying it now before it got hot outside to drink too many heavy stouts.
It pours a very dark body with a dark tan head.
The smell has some very strong coffee aroma and a hint of bittersweet chocolate.
The taste is very robust and yet pleasingly mild compared to when I last drank some of this a couple of months ago. There upfront taste has a lot of strong coffee notes with chocolate in the aftertaste and some hints of anise.
I'm torn between finishing the six pack and waiting to see what this beer would taste like with a couple more months of cellaring.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

This is OUTSTANDING and very unexpected. Pours dark, pretty much black. Nice brown head that hangs around for a bit. Smell the roasted chocolate, coffee, hops and a bit of sweetness. Wow, can't wait to try this thing once the head sits down.
Taste starts with the malt and finishes with the hops. From beginning to end is delicious. Has a rough feel but finishes very smooth and dry. Really leaves a roasted malt/hop taste that is really good. For 9% this is WAY to easy to drink. And for a RIS, I don't think it can get any better than this. Going to get a sixer this time and put some away. Very good. Was not expecting this at all. V I C T O R Y

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Pours a rick, opaque, nearly black brown with a thick tan head. Aroma is wonderfully dark and smoky. Flavor does not disappoint - it is decidedly stouty with strong burnt overtone and coffee hints. Drinking this is almost like drinking spiked cold coffee. Rich and smooth, it has a fierce finish that is a little fiery and very pleasing. I strongly recommend it to all stout lovers.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Dark Dark Dark black- when held to the light I could not see through to the other side, Pitch black ;) exactly how I like my stouts. Centimeter of creamy tan head- lots of carbonation- minimal lacing.

Smelled of roasted coffee beans and roasted nuts- some chocolate notes as well.

This is just how I like my stouts- lots of hops with the combination of coffee and dark chocolate. This is done perfectly. The ABV is well hidden in this although the warming is evident even with small sips.

This is just fabulous- will buy this over and over again. In fact, I'm thinking I want one right now- and its the summer!

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Not the best choice when its 91 degrees outside. I guess thats my fault.

A- Deep black body with thin dark tan head. Leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass.

S- Deep roasted coffee with hints of dark chocolate.

T- Good balance of malt, coffee and dark chocolate. Very bitter aftertaste that reminds me of strong coffee. Warm alcohol lingers.

M- Nice heavy body and medium carbonation. This is well done. Big and robust.

D- Its 9.1% ABV and you can tell. This would probably be a good breakfast brew or nice on a cold day. I'd get this one again.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This is a very tasty brew. The only thing I can compare it to is the russian imperial from north coast. It lingers forever. Very long finish. If you like dark chocolate, chocolate cake, coffee and an extrordinary smooth hops bitterness, you will dig this one. It's tasty, that's all I've got.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with a "Enjoy by" date of May 04 12 into a pint glass.

A. Dark motor oil color with an insignificant quickly resolving tan head with some lacing.

S. Expresso mocha aroma with a burnt malt hint.

T. Strong hops mid taste and finish real strong, hides the alcohol warmth.

M. Good mouthfeel (light carbonation) with a strong hops taste. Overwhelming.

D. I am not a hop bomb fan so that limited the drinkability, although I must say it does have a great finish.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours dark dark with a nice tan head that fades to a bubbly ring.

The aroma is really amazing combination of dark malts and american hops. I like it.

The mouthfeel is appropriatley thick, but the hops cut through and make it way to drinkable for a 9% beer. The flavor is a great combination of malt and hops. The dark coffee and toffee flavors roll into the hops and it is just too good.

This is a very good imperial stout.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

This is an amazing beer. Deep dark brown letting no light through with a tan head that reduces to a thin layer with good lacing. Smell of coffee and chocolate. Complex taste, coffee followed by chocolate with a bitter chocolate/hop finish. Mouthfeel is a perfect combination of carbonation and oil. Perhaps light for an RIS but perfect non the less. Highly drinkable.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Date marked says Expiration September 2011.
A- Black, very black with a 1/2 finger of head the color of creme from an espresso, little to no lace.
S- Thick strong coffee with hints of chocolate....roasted toasted malts that feel slightly burnt. Slight but crisp and assertive spicy resiny hops. Really an amazing scent.
T- Roasted chocolate , and thick dark coffee....as thick as a really fine espresso. Resiny american hops help to lighten the beer....they really have a dank plant like feel and this is a difficult thing to do for a stout. The hops pick up in the middle of the body and carry on throughout the finish.
M/D- Tick and heavy, but the american hops bring a unique side to this stout that I have not found in any other...the hops actually make this really dense alcoholic stout lighter and extremely drinkable. I have heard recent debate about this being some sort of an imperial brown ale, but I really feel that this is one of the finest stouts around,and coming from an east coast brewery too(this was a recent discussion on the BA message board). Victory doesn't let me down and I am glad to have 9 more bottles of this on hand right now.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

My favorite RIS to date.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark with a 1 finger tan head, like any good RIS. The head never lasts as long as I would like it to;-)

Smell - Roasted malt, and a slight bit of alcohol. A little bit of hop smell too.

Taste - Delicious. Tastes very much like it smells. Coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted malt and hops.

Mouthfeel - Fantastic, medium to full bodied. Nearly perfect carbonation level.

Drinkability - One of the easiest drinking RISs I have had to date. I could easily drink two or three at a time, but I like to save my RISs for the last beer of the evening, that way a sixer will last through the week.

This is definitely my favorite RIS at this point, but I haven't had that many in my beer drinking career as of yet. I doubt my opinion of this beer will change much once I have tried other RISs, but one thing I can safely say is that this is Victory's best offering, and you should try it if you haven't yet.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

12 oz bottle, enjoy by dec-26-11, served in a goblet.

A - black color with a tan creamy head that holds up well, leaving lots of lace.

S - hoppy aroma upfront, roasted malt hits the nose as I sip.

T - very good tasting Ruskie Imp Stout, bitter hop bite, followed by roasted malty flavor, bittersweet finish.

M - medium bodied, mildly carbonated, not overly filling.

D - very good drinkability, an enjoyable drinking experience.

This is a very good RIS at a fair price. Highly recommended

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

The thunder god of American Russian Imperial Stouts, I had a very enjoyable time with a six-pack of these beauties.

This brew poured an inky dark body with a brown head consisting of super-thick bubbles, not tiny ones like in lower quality beers. There is an awsome lacing and the brew stays pretty crisp even after 15 minutes drinking the same one as to enjoy i more.

True to the label, this beer is very malty, which I dig. If anyone has every been to Germany and have tried a Vita Malz (its like a non-alcoholic malt beverage for kids) then this is very similar in smell.

The maltiness pervades. Roasted mats five the beer a coffee flavor mixed with some sweet, tangy hops. Think an espresso while enjoying a plain biscotti; a honey-rye bread with your morning coffee. Notice I have yet to say it is alcoholy. It is more salt than alcohol I taste and I guessed a 7% before I saw the 9.1% on the label. Masks it very well.

The mouthfeel, however, is not as thick as I would have guessed it to be. Was expecting something thicker.

The lighter body actually helps when having a couple of these. Sweet and dark, complex, and good!

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

a- a rich dark black color. creamy tan half inch head. settles quickly after pouring

s- slight roasted malty and coffee smell. a bit of a citrus/fruity smell from the hops

t- a nice hoppy bitterness that is balanced by the roasted/ coffee taste. overall mild sweet test. finishes clean. high alc% is not really noticable

m- not overpowering in any way. light-med carbonation

d- very drinkable. good beer. i love victory

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

This was as good as I’d heard. SOme Impys tend to be too sweet or thick, but this was just right. Poured from the bottle to a jet black with thick tan head that lingered well and left good lacing along the glass. Aroma was a very pleasing blend of malty chocolate and coffee, with alcohol scent entering around mid-glass. The taste was initially coffee, turning quickly to chocolate, all finishing with a sweet warming sensation and very good aftertaste.

Great job Victory!!!

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%

This is one of the best imperial stouts you will find!
If full bodied strong beers (both alcohol and flavor) is not your thing, then don't bother with this one. If they are... this is about as good as it gets.

A - Perfect pitch black like an imperial stout should be. Nice thick creamy head (but not out of control) that lasts most of the way down..

S - Roasted malts, coffee, very light raisin or date scent, and a presence of alcohol.

T - Awesome with every sip. Coffee, light hops, a somewhat bitter roasted malt along with a warm alcohol aftertaste. What makes this one so nice is that it does not knock you over with its flavor, just a solid, excellent beer.

M - Decent carbonation as well as maintaining an overall thickness.
Beer sticks around, but not overwealming.

D - Make sure you do not drink this one ice cold, and remember its high ABV and you will agree this is a very drinkable beer.

THANK YOU VICTORY FOR ANOTHER WINNER!

2.26/5  rDev -44.3%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

12 ounce brown bottle dated best-before March 22 2012.

Pours viscous black with a thin blanket of extra-rich tan foam and sheets of lace. A rather hop-forward aroma greets the nose. Pine and grapefruit are layered over black coffee malt with hints of unsweetened cocoa in the background. Hops also dominate the flavor. Pine and chewy grapefruit are front and center. Dry coffee and bitter chocolate provide the drying finish. Medium-thick body is a bit over-carbonated. Nicely executed, though too hop-laden for my personal preference.

This stout commands respect from start to finish. Huge tan head
that has a mind of it's own. It keeps growing after your done pouring! The lacing never let's go. The aroma of expreso and fresh hops and bakers chocolate is just a sneek preview of what to expect. Then the mouthfeel is so creamy and tingly at the same time. This stout is so well balanced. No one flavor over takes another. The roasted malts, The coffee. the hops, chocolate, caramel, licorice, and dark black rasberries. And even with all these lush flavors the finish still is dry and dusty!! I just had a bells
expedition stout last week and this beer is in the same league. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +14%

12oz bottle with "best by April 27, 2012" - so its likely less than 3 weeks old. Poured to snifter.

A: Dark black/brown, no light through, very dense. Nice espresso crema head that forms pillowy with large bubbles on top, slow dissipation with some serious legs. Head holding upwards of 10-15 minutes, this one is staying around. Ends with a nice mocha-colored covering with nice lacing that decorates the glass.
S: Espresso, brunt wood, smoke, sharp hops in the background. Coffee is fairly dominant. Very hoppy - citrus notes on top of the malt are wonderful.
T: Stunning. Melted chocolate, dark chocolate, espresso all dominant. The hops really sharpen it, keep it original. Finishes a bit bitter, not quite as clean as I'd like. Alcohol is not apparent - 9.1%, no way.
M: This is a really creamy, wonderful stout - with the head on top its initially the same sensation as drinking an aerated milkshake. Nice and sharp finish, really creamy body that is so smooth.
D: This is a great stout, and I'm excited to have this brewey now distributing in GA. Creamy, espresso, chocolate and hops - what else do you want? What a great way to start a Thursday afternoon off with 2 Victory's and a Dogfish to try!

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Smell is not what I would look for in a stout. There's some chocolate and coffee notes but really no roast malt character at all. On the fermentation/yeast side I get ripe fruit but not plums or cherries like I'd expect and more like peaches and tropical aromas. In fact, aroma wise it seems more like a Belgian ale. I sampled bottles in 2 different settings and sources before reviewing this, my third and they all smelled that way. I like the aroma but it's out of the ordinary for RIS.

Deep, dark and held up to the light, nothing gets through. Very small head that appeared on pouring disappears right away leaving not much behine except a small island of tiny bubbles in the center of my glass. (Big head is not necessarily a negative in this style.)

Nice flavor and here's where I find some roast malt. It has a complex smokey roast flavor but with significant sweet malt and molasses backbone. Nice level on the bittering hops, assertive but not enough to overwhelm the malt. Lots of fruity fermentation flavors and again more in line with what I'm looking for. Little bits of chocolate flavor rounds it out. Nice complexity and overall flavor profile is really good.

Big full bodied with a pretty strong level of carbonation. Creamy on the palate.

All in all, a very good beer.that doesn't drink as strong as it is.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Pour into my standard pint glass yields a nice two-finger chocolate head (with a bit of reverse cascading) over an opaque black-brown body. the head fades very quickly to a thin ring, but leaves ample lacing.

Smell is sour malt, bitter chocolate, espresso, roasted malts. I was surprised by the pronounced sour smell. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

Taste follows the smell spot on, with a notable roasted malt bitterness. Notable and pervasive long metallic hops bitterness from this first taste through the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for an RIS. Carbonation is smooth and fine.

On the low end of the alcohol scale for an RIS, so it's pretty drinkable.

Overall, this seems to be a "Lite RIS:" not as robust as others in all aspects. Pretty good, but not what I was expecting based on the numbers I saw in the other reviews. Due to the heavy hopping this seems more like an ADS than and RIS, which I was expecting would be much syrupier. Oh well, live and learn. One thing to note: the price is right for this beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company