Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this beer into a brandy snifter at cellar temperature. Very dark brown to black with a large brown head that persists. This beers nose is underwhelming. Some roast, slight burnt coffee, some boozy hints (anise?). Big roast up front of the palate, with some chocolate and what appears to me to be a substantial hop bittering backbone. Some warming alcohol and a touch of anise again. The bitterness lasts well into the finish. This beer leaves me wishing it had a more substantial mouthfeel, more creamy, with a touch more residual sweetness. Perhaps that will come thru with some age as the bittering drops.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Label says "enjoy by Mar 03 11" so I assume they believe this can be aged for another 4 years. It's been in my cellar for about a year, I'd guess.

A: An aggressive pour into a pint glass yielded a midnight-black body with a fluffy 2-finger head the color of Yoo-Hoo or a chocolate milkshake. The head settles slowly and leaves some rings of lacing at the top of the glass. No more lacing on my way down, however.

S: Immediately I smell licorice and dark chocolate, with a hint of spicy alcohol. More roasted coffee notes as it warms.

T: A roasted coffee bitterness dominates early, but as it warms it tastes more of charcoal. Surprisingly one-dimensional in that aspect, as I expected more going on given (1) the nose and (2) my past experiences with this beer. Alcohol warmth isn't noted in the mouth, but I feel it in the belly.

M: The first word that comes to mind is "chalky." Despite the look, it's actually more medium-bodied and even slightly watery. Again, I was surprised.

D: All in all not bad. It went pretty well with a cannoli, but it was lighter in the body and less flavorful than I expected.

Notes: It's probably been at least 2 or 3 years since I'd had this in a bottle, but I remember being awed the first time I had it. And my experience with it on cask this past summer was more positive as well. Maybe my tastes have changed; or maybe the recipe has; or maybe cellaring this for a year has weakened its character. In any event, I found this to be a decent RIS, but a bit too one dimensional and lacking complexity. I wouldn't turn this down in the future (and I still have plenty in the cellar to drink), but I remembered this being much better.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I drank a lot of stout's in my life, but I have not sampled a huge variety of Imperial Stouts, but this is wonderful.
Poured a deep chocolate that I can't even see through holding my eye right up to the glass which is just in front of a light bulb. Creamy chocolatey 1.5 finger head which remains around the rim and small marble size bubbles on top.
Smells of sweet and dark chocolate, mocha, roasted malt, coffee, and alcohol. I have a small cold so I cannot get the nuances.

Tastes of chocolate, malt, and coffee with a even bittery hop finish.
Very nice beginning bubbly hit with a bitter aftertaste that lasted for at least 2 minutes. Alcohol so well hidden I cannot pick it up anywhere but, in the smell. This takes the cake for me! I am so happy I picked up a sixer on my trip to Chicago (Binny's) over the Holidays! My wife even picked it out and surprised me!

4.03/5  rDev -1%

2006 Vintage - 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours charcoal black into the glass and forms no head at all. The minimal bubbles that do surface are dark brown.

Smell: Big, bold and malty. Chocolate, almonds and alcohol.

Taste: Pinchy bittering hops hit me right away. Reminds me of some of Victory's other beers. BItterness fades and chocolate flavors make their way to the forefront. They are accompanied by roasted almonds and finishing punch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Malty and bitter. Smoothe feel and an alcohol warming burn is pleasant.

Drinkability: I could probably only drink one of these in a sitting. I think this is quite hoppy and lacking sweetness for a beer of this style, which detracts from the drinkability.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

The body was pure black liquid. A slow developing inch high dark chestnut colored head took a long few minutes to dissipate. The beer is to opaque to see any carbonation rising at all. Lacing clings in spots around the glass.

An average strength to a pleasent aroma. Smell of dark plums is the most prominent scent. Malted grains have a light quality of roasted oats. A very nice balance of hops finishes the noseful.

A storng coffee flavor hits the back of the throat. A very sweet fruit blend imixes the taste of plugs, dates, and figs. Decent alcohol quality is warming but not overpowering.

A nice thick clinging consistancy. A low amount of carbonation lets this one sit on the tongue for a while before shifting flavors slightly.

A great example of the style. Perfect beer to be sipped by itself after a meal. This is one of those must try beers for anyone who wants to try and enjoy this style.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Victory is a relatively new offering here in Colorado. Happy to try this one once again. Hard pour earns a solid finger of dark brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells ashtray dry roasted malts and flat hop with some grassy character. Wet sweet and lactose smoothness. Caramel and toffee with a tempered coffee roast. Smells delicious.

Tastes wonderful. Wet sweet, roasty malts, chocolate, and toffee/caramel supportive. Alcohol burn is present, but clean and a nice addition. Hops are wmette-like bitter and grassy with mild bitterness. Hops in the flavor are not as strong as the hops in the aroma. Creamy sweet undertones rise up for notice and are a key for the sucess of this beer. Too much of this couldy be sickly...and that is avoided by the clean alcohol sting. Tick mouthfeel and too sharp carbonation for my preferences.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A very well balanced Imperial Stout. Great aroma of fresh coffee and sweets. Full mouthfeel with a lasting pleasant bitterness. Nice creamy lacing with a thin but lasting head. Alcohol is very well hidden.
Impressive brew.
Not much wrong with it except it maybe could use more hop bitterness or tad more roast.

Enjoy date Mar 22 11

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a true opaque black. The head is a good thick cream of tan. The aroma is of coffee beans, warm brownies, and choclate cake. The taste is a little more of the choclate and roasted coffee. The hops come into play while your sippin on this one. The astringent aftertaste that is so present in this style is also on the palate. This one has a smooth finish to it, almost like oatmeal was added during the brewing? The body is big and bold. I have to say though after one I'm pretty much done; I would like to have another, but it's a little too much.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a Stella goblet. Almost completely black, off-white head, fine carbonation.

Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, molasses, slight hop presence.

Flavor matches the aroma, this beer doesn't try to do too much. Keeps it simple does it well. There is a nice hop bite on this for the finish. The high abv% is somehow very well hidden, this is quite drinkable. Mouthfeel is extraordinary.

quality...

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 9/27/05

Pours a deep dark black with a nice sized tan head. Looks just like what a stout should.

Beer smells a bit vegetal, sweet dark roasted malts, and a touch of a bitter coffee like aroma.

Flavors are very creamy up front with a hint of alcohol, then it finishes crisp with some bitter chocolate like flavors. This is a very well balanced Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel is big, full, and very well rounded.

An excellent, and very drinkable beer. Very enjoyable, and a great example of the style.

Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for sending me this one.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This poured a very appealing, near black with a thin dark-coated tan head. Good lacing and retention. The smell is of roasted malts, coffee and smokiness. Nice but faint. The taste, however, is anything but faint with the same elements as the smell but on a grander scale. Incredibly smooth yet complex. I don't know how the alcohol has been hidden but no presence in the taste. The mouthfeel is extraordinarily light and creamy. Like whipped cream that has been melted in a latte. Exceptional. Very drinkable with the smoothness and the hidden alcohol.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So black you'd think it was left behind by an Exxon Valdez oil tanker, this brew made a bold statement as it crouched within my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass. What started off as a hearty two-finger creamy brown head settled to a bubbly lace with an attractive halo encircling the edge.

The odor was a rather potent mix of roasted coffee beans and toffee with the slightest hint of a dry red wine.

I inhaled deeply as I took my first sip and found that the odor was merely a sneak preview to a highly rewarding flavor. The initial bite of roasted coffee was followed by a mix of dark chocolate and a mild sweetness reminiscent of the aforementioned red wine aroma, rounded out with a remarkably smooth finish of burnt malt.

This is actually the third or fourth bottle I've had of this stuff, but it's the first time I didn't think it was overrated--perhaps because it's been given a chance to age several months since I initially tried it. I consider RISes to be one of those styles I really have to be in the proper mood for, as I tend to find them intense, not only because of their high ABV but because of the massive bitterness of coffee beans mixed with the tannic quality of red wine. This brew definitely packs a punch, but it at least has the decency to slip on a glove before it begins to pound away at my palate. Each sip goes in smooth, builds up in intensity, and then finishes clean with only the mellowest of aftertastes. This last feature, the mellow aftertaste, is something I hold in high regard, and something which I've found to be incredibly rare in the more intense and complex brews. The aftertaste tends to linger longer as my consumption continues, however, which bumps the mouthfeel down from a perfect 5 to a 4.5.

This is no session beer. It's more accessible than other RISes, but it's still not one I'd want to have every day, as one thing it's not (and I wouldn't expect it to be) is refreshing. On the other hand, I'd take this over the standard "winter warmer" any day of the week as a comforting way to wind down at the end of the day.

This brew has reinvigorated my respect for Russian Imperial Stouts. It's just unfortunate that most other examples of the style fail to measure up, and that this one is so hard to find and so hard on the wallet when I do find it.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled On: Jan 28, 2003, almost 4 years old.

Sampled at cellar temp.

Appearance is good. Jet black with a mocha/tan colored head. Little bit of lacing in the glass.

Smell is very good. Dark chocolate, dark fruit, coffee and roasted malts. What an Imperial Stout should smell like.

Taste is very good. Great initial flavor of roasted malts and dark chocolate. The finish is mellow compared to a fresh bottle but it's to be expected. 4 years of aging has mellowed this beer some but the complexety is still amazing. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel is very good. Dangerously smooth for a beer with 9.1% alc.. Barely any carbonation left.

Drinkability is very good as well. Very easy to drink.

Overall:
After 4 years this beer is fantastic. Aging has enhanced this beer's characteristics for the better. I'm storing at least 12 more fresh ones for future consumption.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Wow. This beer pours out a burnt motor oil black. I had to hold it up to light and tilt it so that I was looking through a very thin layer of it before I could see any brown. The head was thin but long-lasting, colored a nice tan. The smell was of coffee and dark chocolates. A very roasted smell. The taste was slightly sweet with a nice balance of hops, bitterness, and roasted malts. A very well balanced beer that warms up nicely (and warms me up nicely).

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle, enjoy by 9/27/11.
Pours very thick and the darkest possible brown/black. Carbonation instantly gone. Small swirl of head in middle of glass, looks like motor oil 1000's of miles beyond it's due. Very complex smells of anise, licorice. Sweet malt smell but not roasted or burnt. Possibly even a citrusy hop smell. Hoppy taste up front switching mid-palate to a bitter roast malt flavor with a charred aftertaste. Resiny hop taste as well. Not what I was expecting from an imperial stout. Super heavy mouthfeel with low carbonation. fairly complex with different smells and tastes coming out. Almost like a hop head's stout with the bitterness in there. Very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

For some reason I had never heard of this beer before yesterday, when the bartender reccommended it to me. So I had no expectations going in, and was more than pleasantly surprised. The beer pours a thick, motor oil black, with a nice brown head that sticks around for a while. The smell is an array of dark fruits, some chocolate, and sweetness.

The taste is even more complex, with a real nice hoppy bitterness at the beginning, and then a rich, creamy, espresso aftertaste that balances it out like few beers I've had before. Each sip gives you a new experience, lingering on the tastebuds and waiting to be explored. It's like a West Coast Stout, Sweet Stout, and Imperial all mixed into one.

The mouthfeel was thick and creamy. I also had no idea of the ABV, and drank this one fairly quickly and could've had more. Wow. Dangerously drinkable.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a nice midnight black with a fairly large brown head. As it settles, the head dies and no evidence of lacing on the glass. Beautiful color, though.

Smell: Smells sweet. Not picking up the roasty aromas I usually pick up in stouts. Seems almost fruity in the nose. Odd.

Taste: Syrupy sweet. For me this is just too sweet for a stout. Followed by a large amount of hops. A lot of bitter and sweet, but IMO not very well balanced. There is a medicine-like taste in here too, actually reminiscent of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Decent medium body, low carbonation. Would like to taste more carbonation here.

Drinkability: counldn't do more than one. It's just too sweet for my tastes. Overall, I'd like this beer to have a more roasty taste, a little less hop character, and tone down the sweet maltiness quite a bit.

Was looking forward to drinking this one, but it just didn't do it for me. Overall, I'm a big fan of Victory brews. Stormking just wasn't my kind of stout, but worth giving 'er a try.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

served into a nonic glass from a long neck brown bottle with crimped-on cap.Enjoy by Sep.27/11?

Opaque,black color. 2" thick,pillowy tan head,good retention,clumps of lace sticking down the sides of the glass,leaves a thick layer of foam throughout the beer.

A nice hoppy aroma mostly pine and a good bit of citrus,a very hoppy smelling stout. Very roasty,sweet carmell,chocolaty a bit smokey,a very pleasing and complex aroma. Even a bit of fruittyness in there.

The taste was amazing, lives up to its reputation. I enjoyed the taste so much,I almost forgot I was reviewing this beer. A nice clean piney taste,a very complex malty taste, carmelly/roasty,a burnt chocolate taste. Execellent balance.Finished with a crisp,citrus,sharp bitterness,leaves a nice bittersweet chocolatly/carmelly /citrusy taste lingering on the palate.

Chewy mouthfeel,very nice, also a soft creamy texture,mouthwatering.
The drinkability was amazing for an Imperial Stout, this went down way to fast, wish I had another.. 9.10% alcohol would never know it, felt it when I was done though. I have to get more of this beer,it's worth all the hype!

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Deep black, appears to be heavily carbonated. Thin cocoa head which quickly dissolved.
Very rich caramel and roasted malt aroma.
Intense malt flavor followed by a strong hop bitterness.
Thick mouthfeel with the roasted malt flavors lingering on the tongue as the carbonation expands into the nose.
In my opinion it's too rich and thick for multiple glasses (although I did have two). It comes across as an uber stout and it seemed like too much of a good thing. It's well made and I understand why people like it so much, it's just not what I am usually looking for in a stout. It is one I'd like to enjoy from time to time though.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Beer poured very dark, no light passing through. Poured half of the bottle into the center of the glass, with no head. Lacing slid down the glass as I drank.

Smell is rather fruity, with none of the coffee and roasted smells that are normally a hallmark of a RIS. I can slightly detect an almost berry smell. Actually welcome for me, it's a nice change of pace.

This is a rather hoppy RIS. The first taste I detect is hops, and then a bit of a coffee flavor, with a sweet, smooth finish. It threw me off at first, but upon my second sip I rather enjoyed the difference that this RIS brings.

for a RIS, this is kinda light. Easy to drink, but a high ABV keeps this one on the "Sip and enjoy" list.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours black with a thin tan head that quickly disappears to a ring around the glass. Smell is of delicious dark chocolate and hops. The taste is very nice: coffee, dark chocolate and some hops. Alcohol is barely evident in the taste but is surely noticeable in its warming effect. Mouthfeel is full bodied with some carbonation. Drinkability is limited a bit by the high ABV and heaviness but its tasty enough to want to have more than one. Overall, a very enjoyable beer.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours an opague black color with some ruby hues towards the top of the glass when held to light. There is a small tan head that doesn't last too long and leaves a little lacing.

Aromas of dark fruit, chocolate, espresso, some hops, and a faint cigar like smell as well as a little alcohol.

Taste is pretty complex and a little harsh. There are notes of citrusy and piney hops, some roasted (perhaps burnt) malt, blackberry, coffee, and some charcoal.

Mouthfeel is full and a little more carbonated than I would prefer.

The harshness of this stout takes the drinkability down some.

In my opinion this stout doesn't quite live up to the hype.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours about as dark as it could possibly be. I held it up in front of a lamp and nothing came through. THe head is abundant and a dar shade of tan. A very attractive appearance.

Aroma is very strong, and of dark malt, coffee, and chocolate.

Flavor is more of the same...extremely strong flavors of caramel and coffee. I should also add that it is delicious.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth. Carbonation is wonderfully fine and perfect.

Drinkability-wise, I could have a few of these.

A wonderful product, and I highly recommend it.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to shigadeyo of RB for the bottle. Bottle says to enjoy by 9/27/2011. Pours with decent head for the style, not as black as other big stouts, slight lace. Aroma is roasty and piney, a little chocolatey.

I like this much better than the other bottle I had. The hops are upfront and piney. Roasty, coffee flavors round out the flavor profile. There may be a touch of anise as well. Mouthfeel is good, not as thick as some big stouts. Quite drinkable this one is.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

2006 bottle.. poured into a pint glass

A: pours a very, very dark brown. Well, it's pretty much black. One finger head is light brown, like chocolate milk.

S: dark chocolates. hints of dark fruits and caramel.

T: chocolate with tasty dark fruits...creamy taste.. can taste coffe in the aftertaste.

M: smooth and creamy. definitely a full body here. almost chewy.

D: Usually, I drink stouts pretty slow, but this one goes down really easy.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company