Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Deep, deep, dark black, only the faintest of brown hue comes through when held to the light. Small, dark brown head caps it off, fades quickly. Huge roasted scent comes through, chocolate and alcohol hints as well. Taste starts with dark roasted malts, hints of fruit, warm alcohol, plum. Nice full mouthfeel. Very good.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Pours a black, thick, and a gorgeous head, deep tan, wonderful lacing in arches down the glass. Aroma of nice roasty bean, coffee, sweet chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, very very nice. Taste begins sweet with chocolate and brandy perhaps, then comes the espresso and a bittering from just enough hops and almost too agressively roasty malt. Also, there is some dark fruit, like a brown sugared apple or something. Basically, the mouth is the greatest feeling under heaven, smooth, creamy and the slightest carbonation and pleasantly warm down the throat. This is one of those rare, wonderful beers that you take a sip, swallow, then continue to 'drink' it as you swallow the residue in your happily salivating mouth. When I think of stouts, this is what I hope for.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

One word....Black. Another word...Great! Pours black with a average one finger width tan head that dissolves down to a thin cap that reamins for the duration of the Beer. The aroma is subtle coffee and chocolate. The subtleness disappears with your first sip. Roasted! The flavors are solid roasted coffee and chocolate there is a hint of sweet malt. These flavors fade to the Hops that clean things up a bit and stop your tounge from being roasted as well. There is a slight burnt bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste and although it has a fairly high ABV it does not interfere with the taste of this Beer. The medium to thick body contributes to the success and the drinkability is high for an Imperial Stout. Storm King has just become one of my favorites.

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%

This is my house beer. I always like to have a few Storm Kings on hand. I am a devoted stout lover and this is the number one stout (especially available in a 6-pack stout). I could drink this all night. The only item I rated less than a 4 was the smell at 3.5 as it's nose isn't the greatest and I have had occasion where one has smelt a little like a wet dog.

If all RIS could be this well crafted, balanced, and tasty there would be no wars, famine, etc. OK maybe I'm exagerating.

The taste is a hoppy, roasty, coffee, creamy, mixture of delicousness.

Mouthfeel is great.

Drinkability is high. I have enjoyed 3-4 in a night althought the ABV does catch up to you.

If I had to have one keg on tap at my home or local bar this is the one. I have had it on tap in Philly and at Track 84 in Warwick RI and it is magnificent out of the keg.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz. bottle

Pours a dark black with a small tan head that thins. Minor lacing on the glass.

Roasted malt and cocoa aromas along with a very piney hop aroma and a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste is roasty upfront with nice espresso and cocoa flavors. This becomes dominated by a piney hop flavor and bitter hop bite. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and slight roasted aftertaste.

Big, full body. Nice carbonation.

Pretty drinkable for a big beer. I remember this one being a bit better in past years.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

A- dark brown with a tan two finger head. Great retention on the head, settles to 1/8" and never leaves. Lacing on glass as well.

S- strong scents of roasted and chocolate malts. Earthy hop aroma as well.

T- loads of flavor in here that increased as the beer warmed, and some new flavors come along as well. Roasted coffee and malt flavor. Burnt malt/sugar bitterness, harsh and strong. Earthy hop flavor in there also. Just hints of sweetness. Increasingly strong alcoholic flavor as the beer continued to warm.

M- full bodied and somewhat creamy. Slight drying effect.

D- Didnt feel alcohol content as much as expected, makes drinking easier. Harsh and bitter. Too harsh for regular consumption, not on a level for special ocassions. Tough to find a spot for this one.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

12/04 release.

I'm the 845th reviewer, so I'll leave out the generalities. The head starts out at about one inch and fades to a thin layer covering almost all of the beer. This has a ton of roasted malts and coffee, as well as molasses and baker's chocolate- the standard issue stout flavors, as well as citrusy hops which are quite bitter for the style, even after a year and a half. For whatever reason, I'm only getting the 9.1% abv in every fourth sip, making this more quaffable than I would have thought. I get the hype.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours fairly large head into a pint glass, served around 50f, but have let it warm up a bit.

Nose is very subdued, some roasted chocolate bitter notes are all I can get. becomes stronger as the beer warms.

taste is powerful, roasted with hops presenting, that faint almost-bitter-chocolate feeling, extremely smooth, needless to say the 9% is invisible here.

Overall finish is somewhat subdued, will try this one room-temp and see how it performs.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Picked up a single for review purposes, 12 oz bottle, enjoy by Mar 03 11, on the label, poured into a pint glass

A—pours solid black onyx, no light at all, with a ¾ inch thick dark cocoa colored head, slowly dies down and spotty lacing is produced as I drink

S—not very fragrant…perhaps it is too young…alcohol, coffee, and chocolate still come through

T---wow! This is one powerful, tasty stout! The taste is of roasted coffee, bittersweet dark chocolate and toasted nuts, the alcohol is hidden very well. What a great flavor!

M—thick and creamy, full bodied, medium carbonation

D—an excellent imperial stout! I will have this again and again, but not one after the other…the high ABV is sneaky in this one. As Mel Brook’s says “it’s good to be the king!”

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a dark black with a brown head that hangs around for a while. There is decent lacing going on.

The aroma is of espresso and burnt malt. There is some mild dark chocolate notes.

The flavor is of rich burnt malt, espresso, dark bitter chocolate, and there is an alcohol finish that leaves some heat in your mouth.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation.

I would say this is a pretty drinkable beer considering how big it is. A must try.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bottle that I had sitting in my fridge for about 4 months, into a snifter. I have had the Storm King before, but never reviewed it. Little to no head apparent, which was a little disconcerning. I love the smell of this beer, it fills the nostrils with malty aromas of coffee and chocolate, with a noticeable hint of alcohol, and lingering hop scent. The taste from start to finish is very good. A slight biterness finishes this stout, after a strong presence of malty characteristics to start. The mouthfeel on this beer is good, smooth, but nothing out of the ordinary. I love this beer, and feel that this is a fine example of an what an imperial stout should be.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz bottle coutesy of sulldaddy. Interesting label design. Some sort predetory bird, owl or hawk of some sort.

Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Pure black color. Light cannot penetrate. Dark brown head, not quite two fingers. OK lacing that was gone all together half way through. Smell is bold roasted chocolate malts with coffee and slight hop bitterness. Taste is solid mocha chocolate up front and finishes with a medium peppery hops. this is a good sized beer in the ABV department, but I don't taste it. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth. Very enjoyable, I had it with a chocolate chip cookie

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

One inch tan rocky head recedes to a rocky layer. Totally opaque black. Lacing prominent.

Aroma is distinctly citrus. There is also a strong sense of licorice.

There is a taste of orange and then licorice and then a lingering coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fluffy and smooth. Medium to thick body.

This is one of my go-to beers. It's almost too good to review. I just enjoy it too much to spend time reviewing.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this on cask thanks to the persistence of Mikey.

I wasn't incredibly impressed the first time I tried this beer, but this time around was definitely better. It was a very deep chocolate brown color with a decent head and lacing. In my opinion, the smell didn't do justice to the wonderful taste. This beer seemed a little agressive with the hops for a stout, but still was well-rounded. Not my favorite stout, but totally worth enjoying when you get the chance.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

This is one hell of a beautiful beer. I have been holding out on this one for a while, but decided to pick up a single bottle at Hi-Time's yesterday.

Had this one after my Memorial weekend bbq dinner. Poured into a nice room temp pint glass and it poured perfectly the whole way through. Nice dark toasty color with a small 1-finger off-white head.

The smell was full of nice toasty malt and sugar in the chocolate tones.

Taste was nothing less of perfect for this day. Just excellent chocolate, coffee tones. So close to a dessert, I couldn't believe it.

Mouthfeel was smooth and the taste lingered, so every sip was a happy moment.

This beer is incredibly drinkable because it isn't too strong that you can't have a couple, but it is a strong gentle stout that can be enjoyed over a long period of time. This beer is another winner in the Victory line-up.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On Cask at Capital Ale House:

Cask is the way this beer was meant to be drank. Recently bottled sample have been less than satisfying, and taps in Boston had been mediocre at best. But this is almost perfection. Incredibly harsh (in a good way) with tons of hops balanced with malts, caramel, and fruit/soudough bread.

We all know of the potential of this brew and have been sorely dissatisfied with it recently. This proves to me the beer may be coming back....with a vengeance.

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%

What a beer! I don't know why I've waited so long to try this one but I'm glad I took the plunge! This one poured out black as oil with a nice thick dark brown head. The smell was pretty subtle but had a bit of malt and coffee in there. The flavor was too good! Loads of chocolate flavor, slight coffee tinge in the middle and a lightly hoppy yet mostly sweeet aftertaste. If chocolate milk were alchoholic, this is what it would taste like! Wonderfull stuff and it went great drizzeled on top of a bowl of vanilla ice cream! Highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is pretty good, the lacing is great and the head is a light brown and doesn't break. Looks very good.

Smell is a bit fruity with coffee tones and light roasted barely.

Taste is a little chalky has flavors of mollasses, coffee, and a very hoppy aftertaste. There is also an ere of fruitiness in the beginning.

The mouthfeel is nice and creamy with carbonation and very nice.

This is great and hits the spot really well.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours out a beautiful pitch black with a nice thick dark tan head.

Smell. The aroma gave me more flavors than many others beers' tastes. Molassis, sweet maltiness, yet a nice presence of hops. Other nots of coffee, toffee, and a little vanilla.

Taste. Very nice balance of the malty sweetness and bitter hops. malts dominate, but hops really hold up with the heavy maltiness. Taste is heavy on molassis. Is sweet, but not oversweet. Aftertaste i get some roasted malts and come coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Full body. Great balance. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall and excellent beer, but it's not my favorite ris. Very tasty and complex, but, to me, it doesnt have that "wow" factor i was looking for. But still a great beer, and i dont blame anyone for worshiping this beer. It is truly a great one.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

a - dark brown almost black on the pour with a small tan head that leaves only a ring around the outside and a small residual on top, no lacing

s - roasted malt dominates with a strong hoppy bitterness, chocolate and coffee present also, only a faint trace of alcohol

t - this is where the beer is excels, very complex taste, very much like the aroma, roasted malt and a nice hoppy bitterness play the leading role with an espresso-like strong coffee flavor following, very nice lingering bitterness on the finish, wonderfully balanced, barely notice the alcohol at all

m - not quite as full-bodied as many other RISs, I'd call it medium-bodied, but it coats the mouth very well, not much by way of carbonation, very smooth

d - the most drinkable RIS I've had, I could drink a couple of these and be set for the night, makes me want to keep on tasting, wish I had another couple to drink right now

Storm King has instantly vaulted itself into my top 10 or so beers. It's got the whole package, including drinkability. For me, this is what an RIS should be (keep in mind I have yet to try Dark Lord or Stone RIS). Excuse me now, I need to go get a 6-pack of this.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Bottled 1/14/05, so that puts this just a shade under a year and a half. Body is black as coal, save the edges which are a murky brown. The head is brown and slightly more than a half inch tall. Nose came easily once I pulled off the cap, but became more faint. I got chocolate and espresso. Taste is more of the same, but also a bit of molasses and a hint of vanilla bean. When I tasted this fresh, I got a lot of green hops. These have dulled but much of the bitterness remains. Mouth is big and chewy. I would definitely drink this again if it were available in Seattle. A shame it isn't.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

I held this one up to the light and I could get a hint of dark burgundy trying to shine through the blackness. It smells of chocolate, hops, and an earthy grain. I could taste fruity malts and a tinge of figs. There wasn’t a huge hop flavor at first, but once swallowed the hops make themselves known. It felt thick and creamy and coated my mouth. Over all, it’s a great beer for dessert or a meal supplement.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by Jan 03 11.

A-Black as hell, 2 1/2" incredible light brown cappucino froth head. Tons of lacing. This beer looks fantastic.
S-Roasted malt aroma is so subtle it's barely there.
T-Unexpectedly smooth, unexpectedly flavorless. Alcohol flavor very present, above the coffee/chocolate type malts. I let this warm to room temp: same result.
M-This beer is totally flat. No carbonation. Thin mouthfeel with a sweetish, cloying, light syrup alcohol finish. Yet the head was so tremendous! Let it sit for 1/2 hour after I took it outta the fridge, too....A Russian Imperial Stout should not be watery like this....
D-Well, I drank it, cos I'm tough, but brother, the last inch was a chore...

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. What a let down, to say the least. Nothing Russian Imperial about this beer; I've had milk stouts with more oomph! Damn. Victory is a great brewery, so there is something wrong here. It pains me to slam one of their beers, so i'll have to resample in the near future...

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got a six pack of this beer on a trip to NJ. I've broken the Best of BA top-ten list!!

(Edit: There was a bottled on date of 10-13-05 on the label. It's now May, so the beer is a bit on the old side. I don't know how it was stored, probably on the shelf in the store the whole time, so I don't know if this had any effect on the taste. If it did, then a fresh one of these would really be awesome!!)

I had to drink it in the hotel room, so didn't have a nice glass, just the standard lowball glass that came with the room. Even so...

Poured a very rich, dark mahogany with a 3/8 inch creamy head.

Smelled of mollasses, caramel, malt. Very little hop aroma.

Taste was exceptional. Just the right amount of sweetness, molasses, maltiness and balanced by a great bitter finish that left the palate nicelly cleansed. I definitely agree that this is a top ten beer. The alcohol was extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel was not overly thick. There was enough carbonation to keep it refreshing. But enough body to let you know that you've had a great beer.

This beer is scary drinkable. I could easily down a couple of these in a row, but the ABV would probably knock me over if I did.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a single bottle ($1.35) into an English pint glass.

Dark brown, but not black. Average head, but it wasn't dark enough nor did it stick around. Shame.

This smelled hoppier than the Double Cream Stout I just finished. The smell is almost exclusively hops and dark purple fruits. Slight booziness.

Taste followed smell, perhaps a bit more malt. This was exceptionally hoppy as opposed to sweet and malty. I like that, but it needs a bit of balance. I like the fruitiness and the hoppiness, but I want to taste a bit more of the malty booze.

A bit over carbonated at first, but then gets nice and smooth as it warms. Not slick like other imperial stouts, but rather like a smooth IPA.

Just a bit too bitter and heavy to be had in any sort of quantity, but hey, it's not a bad beer. Booze is well hidden.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company