Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow! So complex, so rich. This is one oily milkshake! Every flavor is so distinct, chocolate, hops, slight caramel, and a (good) charcoal hint. Serious alcohol, serious flavor, serious beer! For such a heavy beer it is surprisingly (dangerously?) drinkable. If Guinness is a meal then this is a buffet.

SigEp, Jul 03, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

thick black pour, blacker in the glass with a thick brown head. went away kinda quick though for how thick it was. smell is not especially strong or pronounced, there are some sweet malty flavors including but not restricted to: chocolate, coffee, and a little bit of smoke, with a good amount of roastiness The play of the sweet and bitter in my mouth is really interesting. coffee and especially chocolate/caramel roastedness comes through as well as some reasonably strong hops for a stout. delicate dark fruit flavor shows up at the finish. It's pretty thick and smooth, going down easy. a nice amount of hops to finish. overall really good. definitely to be drank at cellar temp.

kmo1030, Jul 02, 2003

This is the first perfect score that I have given out. I had this perfect beer in a 12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a thick deep black with one finger of gorgeous caramel head. The head hsa a fair retention, and there is some lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich in roasted malt, coffee, and caramel with a bit of hops. The taste is a great blend of roasted coffee, molasses, and chocolate, and there are plenty of hops to balance it perfectly. The mouthfeel is very heavy, yet this brew is still very smooth. The drinkability is the best I've ever had in a stout, even at 9.1%. This is really the king of stouts!

SheepNutz, Jun 24, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours thick like motor oil. Lightly carbonated with a little lacework. Black as onyx. Sweetish aroma. Chocolate, roast, licorise flavors. You can taste and then feel the alcohol. Finishes with a crazy bitterness that lingers in my mouth. Very nice indeed, a multidimensional treat. I usually go to IPAs for my hop fix but this will do just fine, thanks.

moon0, Jun 24, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

First off, this has to be one of the best stouts I have ever tasted. My mouth starts watering the more that I think about it.

Right from the pour I knew I was in for a treat. The stuff came out black as midnight and looking thick as motor oil. (Bear with me, in my mind that can be a good thing) There were a good couple of inches worth of tan head at the top of the glass that just did not want to go away. It just does not look any better then that in my book.

Well, so far, so good time for that first sip…

Man, it hits you hard right away. The brew has big, big taste to it; very thick with a complete tug of war going on between the sweet and bitter flavors within. I’d love to see the reaction upon trying this of some of my friends who think that Guinness is a heavy beer. Storm King feels nice and viscous in my mouth with undertones of dark coffee and chocolate. This would be a great beer to warm you up on a cold night.

If you are a stout fan this beer is well worth seeking out. In my mind the Storm King has earned the crown.

dvorsd, Jun 23, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

I'm proud to make Victory Storm King my first official beer review. Ironically, I drove through a vicious lightening storm and mild flooding to buy this 6 pack. After drinking this brew, I would weather a tornado for another pint.

This beer pours rich and dark with a medium head characterized by chocolate and coffee highlights. Hops immediately hits the nose followed by a subtle hint of coffee maltiness.

The first taste is like an explosion in your mouth - complex and as original as an imperial stout can be. The spicy hop flavor excites the tongue and mellows with a dark malty flavor full of oak, coffee, and chocolate. The finish is smooth and clean with a hint of spice to keep you coming back for more.

An excellent brew that will always be welcome in my mug!

BrewDoctor, Jun 22, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Looks like used motor oil in a glass, with a medium sized head. Hoppy, chocolate aroma followed by clean smooth flavor. Medium to thin consistency. No bitter aftertaste, but takes a sip or two to acclimate to the brew, but then it's excellent. Definitely one of the best!

mike1290, Jun 06, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

12oz bottled on Jan 28 2003.

Pours black with a foamy, dark tan head. Aroma is surprisingly hoppy with coffee and chocolate undertones. Huge, bold mouthful. Taste is toasty chocolate malt and fruit, followed by a strong hop bitterness and just a hint of alcohol. Finish is dry and hoppy.

This brew had a much stronger hop presence than I'd expected. Luckily I'm a hop-head. This one's a winner. The label on the neck of the bottle reads "Victory - For Your Taste", and I wholeheartedly agree. One of the best beers I've ever had. Get some now.

Stingray5, Jun 04, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Wow. This is easily the best beer I've ever had. I love stouts and I love hops....therefore it makes sense that I love this Beer. There is probably no praise I can give this beer that has not been given before. Everything is perfection, or very near perfection. The near pitch black color, with the warm light brown abundant head call you forth to enjoy the warm smell of roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and hops. The taste is so complex and amazing i won't even attempt to write about it. I don't know how this beer has 9.1abv, I never got a sense of it, and if i had more than one i would have gladly consumed as many as possible.

Quite simply if you have not had this beer, go find it, and you too will fall in love with it.

BittRnessabounds, May 29, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Bottled on Oct. 15th, 2002. It pours like black syrup or motor oil, 100% opaque with a large creamy tan head that laces wonderfully. The aroma is full of roasted barley and hops. There is definitely a sign of serious hop character in this brew. But before the hops kick in, you're treated to some chocolate, coffee, and just an all around sweet roastiness. And then hops come in for an amazing finish that makes you beg for more. The alcohol is mellow but definitely there throughout consumption. And it's great. Everything about this wonderful stout is gargantuan and robust as hell.....a truly perfectly balanced and drinkably strong stout. As a stout lover, I think this is the perennial fallback imperial, as long as they keep it the way it is.

AudioGilz, May 27, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours an almost inky color. It has a small head that is light brown in color. It dissapates quickly. A bit of caramel and coffee to the nose. Very full body to the beer, almost "thick". Somewhat roasty, not as much as some others. A hint of sweetness, chocolate and a good hop bite. The alchohol is not evident at all. This is excellent!

Boto, May 23, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a thin, but creamy off-white head. The beer is solid black. The aroma is slighly sweet and a little hoppy. Fantastic taste. Grainy and complex. The alcohol taste lingers a bit, but it's still very drinkable. A tiny bit is lost in the bottle (compared to tap) but it's still an amazing beer.

dwarbi, May 20, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This full bodied brew w/ its chocolate & espresso flavors is wonderful. It is a well balanced beer. Very enjoyable. Any discussion or review of Imperial Stouts must include storm king. Once again Victory has a world class brew. Originally reviewed 1 January 2002

jcalabre, May 18, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

an 01'-02' cellared treat...thanks frank!
storm king pours out an opaque midnight black, with a foamy tan head that dies down to clingy lace. definite nose of northwest hops...oh baby i'm getting the chills from just smelling this stuff. aromas of chocolate and caramel maltiness follow...definitely awesome. malted barley flavours such as chocolate, caramel and java hail upon my tastebuds...the thunderous citric northwest hoppy goodness clouds my senses. hops are strong in the profile, and since this one has been aged...i'm assuming fresh storm king must be a bitter tornadic hop monster. the alcohol is next to rain down upon my tastebuds...all this big sensory stimulation rides the lightening right down my throat. silky smooth and utterly drinkable...like a rainbow to the bottom of my stomach. while storm king may leave a trail of destruction in it's path...i found it to rebuild my attitude towards what an imperial stout may represent. brutal in it's severity...but rewarding in it's wake. oh my what a beer!
a blizzard of thanks to frank4sail for the sample!!

budgood1, May 17, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Opaque black, even when held up to a 150 watt bulb. 1.5 inch rocky dark mocha head slowly settles to a thin incomplete cap of fine foam.

Initial nose is roasty coffee maltiness, with tons of underlying citric fruitiness. As the pint warms, the citric fruitiness develops into more recognizable hop aromas. With more time, the malt and hop integrate better and I pick up candied cherry, raisin, and some rummy notes, even a bit of good bready European licorice.

The hops are definitely up to the malt on the palate providing plenty of both flavor and bitterness to balance the beer. Very long and zingy on the finish. Licking my lips, I can taste the hop oils. It is the hops which really end up being the defining element of the beer for me tonight, which is amazing considering the huge amount of malt in this beer.

Quite a ride, and big thanks to MJR for sharing a bottle of this incredible beer with me.

Realale, May 17, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer pours almost as thick as molasses, and just as black. The smell is complex, with a bit of just about everything! If the smell is complex, then the taste is even more so! Hints of hops mix with coffee and malt flavors......simply amazing. Slightly heavy in the mouthfeel department. All in all, I don't think I could drink more than a few of these, but I'd be really happy to try! A classic beer, and more than deserving of the praise it's received.

beergeek279, May 16, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours like the black of night, not even the sun can get through. It has a strong cappicino smell. The taste is that of chocolate, coffee, and slight hints of nuts and fruits. Smooth and creamy to the mouth. I have not had a better drink. The flavor is robust. So much that I've changed the way I feel about other stouts I've tried. By far the most flavorful and life changing stout I've had.

Lordsoth, May 11, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

I was intrigued by the bottle. The simple label, with the bird, was he the storm king? I poured the beer into a glass. It was dark, very dark, with milk chocolate bubbles. My gaze returned to the bottle. The birds eyes were much like the beer, deep, penetrating. I took my first sip. Smooth, robust, coffee, excitement. Yes, excitement, the beer seemed to glide down my throat and nest in my stomach. Maybe this beer was enchanted, transformed from the bird. I would have to ponder this, of course over another Storm King....

bewareOFpenguin, Apr 22, 2003

I poured this beer, labeled 10/15/02, into a snifter. It poured a dark black body with a beautiful white/tan, almost purplish in the right light, head. It definitely could be mistaken for the foam of a mocha or cappuccino.

The nose to this beer was breathtaking. Hoppy, malty, chocolatly, slight coffee smells. just layer upon layer of aromas.

The initial taste is actually very subdued and mellow. Followed by a rush of intense stout flavors. Waves of chocolate, freshly roasted malts, toffee, subtle coffee, balanced hop bitterness, and even an earthy hop flavor that hints that this beer might be dry hopped.

The flavor takes it time to disappear. It lingers off into an even more impressive finish. This is when a lot of the coffee/espresso flavors come to the forefront and linger.

Overall this beer is quite amazing. It really reminds me of a combination of an imperial stout and barely wine. But, in my opinion, why this beer deserves an all 5 rating, is how perfectly balanced, and well crafted it is. All of the flavors are in your face, but none overpower the others. All of the tastes are so REAL; you can almost taste the coffee, the chocolate, or the roasted barley. Victory has really outdone themselves with this beer.

taez555, Apr 15, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

11/19/02 date code

Pours out black with a thin brown lacey head that stays till the end. Aroma was pretty much non existant, slight espresso and thats all. Taste on the other hand was totally different. Sweet malty taste, dark chocolate, espresso, raisins, some hops and little bitterness and last was the roasted after taste that sneeks up on you not overwhelming at all. Thick molases mouthfeel a slight carbonation on the tongue and a good drinkability. For the content of alcohol its a smooth brew and a lot smoother then most other Imperials that I've had. This is good.

Cheers!

Running4beer, Apr 14, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +13%

Just a note: For whatever reason after I poured this i placed the cap back on the beer bottle. About a minute later it jumped off by itself!!! This beer says "Drink me". The black hole of beers. No light passes through, and I believe this beer would also make an effective radiation shield. No head to speak of, just a tan ring around the black surface. I smell coffee and fruit, just to name a few. This is one tasty stout!!! Pulls away from any other imperial i've had, this one is much more easy and enjoyable to drink. A nice mix of fruit & burnt malts, with a very tasty chocalate aftertaste that lingers, begging for another sip. Oh yeah, and it's full of hops too! Top notch beer. The best part about this brew is it's not too 'acidic' like many imperial stouts

avylover, Mar 31, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

One of the better stouts I have tried in recent memory, but then again, I cannot remember everything.

It pours a deep and pitch-black color. The aroma speaks of the reward to come to the lips and tongue.. raspberry, coffee, mocha, and oh so super smooth. It is sweet and coffee-like with incredible creaminess on the palate. However it offers no unwanted heaviness as some stouts tend to do. If you can find it, it is well, and I mean WELL worth trying. Prost!

goindownsouth, Mar 30, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a clear opaque red/brown with a large clingy dark tan head. The mouthfeel is thick and oily. The smell is smoky chocolate and herbal hops. The taste is smoky roasty malt with resiny grapefruit hops. A heavy strong stout with smooth somewhat deceptive alcohol.

fattyre, Mar 29, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Thick as oil, dark as a cave at midnight, with a deep, plummy aroma. The head struggles to the top and forms a deep, coffee-with-cream head -- one of the darkest I've ever seen on a stout. Lacing is moderate and spotty.

Important to let this guy warm up. Then you will taste the light, cheery, coffee notes, the spare hops tingle, the complicated interplay of half-defined tastes.

I prefer the Stone Imperial Stout myself, but this is a bruiser in its own right.

Darkale, Mar 27, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

"Bottled on Nov. 19, 2002"

Color was pretty darn black with café au lait colored head that stayed thin with thin bubbles. Had some nice lace that dissipated at a moderate pace. Smelled of an almost soft soapy bitterness, an almost espresso body. In general the nose was very soft and clean.

Flavored with a good hops character that was salty and citrusy but not too strong, the bitterness was delayed and toward the back of things. Some small nutty flavor, but in general the hops were more powerful than the malt here but not as much as, say, Old Rasputin. Had an almost creamy taste, a very smooth low-lactic flavored kind of cream. The mouthfeel was slightly soft and creamy on the tongue. The farther I get into this beer the richer the chocolate malt flavor becomes, every time, as well as major smacks of worn-down grapefruit hop flavors.

In all aspects of the beer this was a soft and drinkable version of an Imperial Stout. Pretty good.

*Much better aged, a couple months later I had a 1997 vintage, and it was much more smoother, well-blended, and its strong points (esp. the espresso-ness) were stronger. Also, much better on draught or cask.

nomad, Mar 27, 2003