Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this Imperial and it was perhaps the darkest I've ever seen. Absolutely black with a small, dark tan head with large bubbles. The head didn't appear to be very creamy but still exhibitade some lacing.
The aroma and taste definitely got more acute and impressive with time and an increase of temperature. It had the aroma of very dark fruits and sweet dark malt. Lots of hops and dark chocolate. I was eager to give it a try and as I said, tried it while too cold; don't make the mistake, serve it slightly chilled, not icy.
Anyhow, the taste blew my mind....bitter chocolate, dark candied fruits, alcohol (yet not overpowering), mild roasted coffee, malts and hops. It got so much mroe chocolaty as it warmed, and the taste grew generlaly more complex and enjoyable. It finished slightly acidic-tasting, like chewing on a coffee bean, but still remained smooth. I have to admit, this lives up to its rating. This is one of the finest examples of an Imperial I have ever had. it was smooth, warming and had a complexity of flavor I rarely find. I can't recommend this enough.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

2005 Batch

Appearance: Deep, burnt black that was completely opaque. Although the darkness was very powerful, you could see that the body would not have a creamy, thick feel. The mocha head left traces all over the glass beautifully. A thin layer was present until the last drop.

Aroma: Huge hop presence right off the chute. Hop oils blended nicely with the small roasted, coffee-like hints in the background. For a double stout, this was a little over the top on the hops, but at this point I am stripping the classified "American Double Stout" from my mind and just judging by taste.

Taste and Mouthfeel: WoW is this beer incredible. Like the aformentioned dismissing of style, this beer is unlike any others I have come across. The buttload of west coast hops just plays with your tastebuds but mellows out beautifully in the finish where the stout characteristics come through. A roasted, ground coffee flavor is evident along with a bittersweet chocolate. And just as those rich flavors come though, another round of hops coats the mouth with perfect balance.

Drinkability: With a blindfold, I would have a hard time distinguishing whether or not this was an IPA or not. The flavors, color, aroma, all come together wonderfully. For a 9.1% abv, this goes down dangerously smooth. I could, and plan to, have a keg of this on tap at home for the fall and winter. This is an awesome beer that deserves its high ratings!

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Storm King Stout poured with an oil black color that let almost no light through except around the very edges of the glass. The head foamed up a brown color and slowly faded as the glass was emptied. The smell was a sweet roasted aroma with slight alcohol notes and a distinct hop presence. The taste was bold and sweet but not cloying. The hops really came through making this a unique stout to enjoy. This beer has a thick body but does not sit heavy in the stomach. Weighing in at over 8% ABV, this beer can make for a short night of enjoyed too much. Enjoy a Storm King; it is well rounded, unique, and robust!

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

I tried this tonight and at first glimpse I thought was in for a treat. This is by far one of the darkest stouts I have tried. Poured rich in color of a black mohogany, and formed a small head that lasted about 5 mins or so. I started off drinking and got nothing but bitterness and a strong alcohol smell. So, I let it sit while'st I played a few rounds of Call of Duty 2. After about 45 mins I tried again and wow what a difference letting your stout warm up makes. Now I could easily taste the malts, smell the bit of floral hops and could detect espresso, dark chocolate and carmel. The finish was still a little bitter, but it's and Imperial stout so thats just fine with me. Over all a great bear to nurse, it just gets better and better.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Inky black perfection. Average head forms, even when poured rather roughly (upwards of 18 in. above the glass) which quickly dissipates, though it's understandable given the style and ABV.

Smell: Predominately dark roasted malts smelling of fine dark chocolate. Hops are... floral, coupled with an aroma of roasted almonds and with a stark alcohol fragrance lingering behind.

Taste: A brash beverage, very asserting in all its flavors: dark chocolate, coffee, floral hops. Some molasses and tobacco (although, I think I'm going to be the only one proclaiming "tobacco!" on this one). This is not a stout that relies on a charming sweetness, instead opting for more "floral" components with a playful combination of mint, licorice, and I still contest there's tobacco in there! Why won't anyone listen to me?!

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly full, without ever being painfully thick or obnoxiously syrupy. Carbonation is spot on for my tastes. The alcohol is not overly assertive, but instead is rather relaxing. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they've just come out of a two-hour college lecture after drinking one of these? Yawn!

Drinkability: The Storm King is a lot like life. One minute it's there, and the nex

Huh.

Well, in trying to fully and completely analyze it, I seem to have exhausted my modest supply of 12 fluid ounces. Drinkability seemed good; I've had other heavier, denser stouts that I've easily gulped down without a second thought.

*Thanks to AndoBrew, my friend, for generously sharing this one with me.*

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Dark black color with tan-colored head that is thick with moderate retention and excellent lacing. Aromas of dark chocolate, alcohol, and cocoa are apparent. The taste is of bitter-sweet chocolate with lingering caramelized sugar flavors that blends into a hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste is smooth and bready with a warming alcohol sensation. The high ABV is very well hidden with the brew's rich texture and taste making it's drinkability excellent.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle with "Bottled Nov 18 04" stamped on the side. This is one of my favorite of all-time beers, I'm definitely anxious to see how this stuff aged!

Pours a thick, roasted black, with no highlights. No head at all was visible, but some carbonation managed to work its way through the soup.

Smells very strongly of cherries. Cherries, chocolate, and alcohol all smack you in the nose when you lean over this glass, almost like a subdued Worldwide.

Tastes of chocolate and cherries throughout, with grapefruit splashing through in the end, almost hiding the alcohol. This is tasty stuff indeed! The alcohol is very apparent in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, viscous, and big, with just a hint of carbonation to help it move through your mouth. Leaves salt on your lips, and cherries in your mouth, just perfect for another sip.

Watch the ABV on this one! It's so smooth it's easy to just knock it back. Definitely worth taking your time and savoring.

Thanks to IrishRedRock for this one! Next up is the non-aged bottle, for comparison.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottled on Oct. 13, 2005. Poured into gold rimmed pilsner I got from Scotland.

Poured a nice vicous black. I can hold this up to the light and see some red hues coming through. There is not much head on this one, although it does produce some nice lacing.

Slightly hoppy nose, more than I expected for a stout. It comes through in the first taste but finishes off with a nice creamy texture that coats my mouth and throat.

This beer pours excited and its hard to get a feel for it in the first few sips. I really enjoyed this beer after letting it settle for a bit and warm up. Then the true character comes through. It reminds me of drinking a good cup of coffee, right around the time it cools down enough you can enjoy it but before it becomes too cold.

It has a complex flavor, bold upfront and smoothing out at the end. it leaves you with a taste that you want to let linger but you also want to try it again.

Drinkability is high on this one. it makes you keep coming back. The high ABV is well hidden, so don't let this take you by surprise.

A quality beer, Victory comes through on this one. Not the #1 on my stout list, but it is definitely a beer I would like to have around on a cold night.

--The Kush Man

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Bottled October 4, 2005.

Poured nearly black, with some ruby highlights around the edges and a fluffy tan head that left some lacing.

Faint hints of chocolate and light coffee, along with roasted malts and some hops.

Taste was of coffee, bittersweet chcolate, a nice roastiness from the dark malts, vanilla and a mild hoppy finish. The hops lingers on the tongue. The alcohol is very well hidden.

The mouthfeel is mildly carbonated, smooth, with a fairly thick body. A very good balance between the hops and malts.

This is a very drinkable beer. The alcohol is so well hidden. I can drink these all night. A solid stout.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

11/10/05 bottled on 10/31/05 (fresh) reveiwed in my favorite snifter with my brother.

A- Black poured with a one finger head dimishing quickly to a slight oiling effect on the surface. nice little ring that stays ever so present all the way down. I also had a good amount of sedements floating around in the bottom of the three that i drank .

S- roasty malts is the first thing that comes to mind, brown sugar or something sweet in the background maybe it was a dark fruit like plums or something, coco , as the beer warms i definatly smell alcohol, thats about all i get out of it after a little over half the glass.

T- Whoa !!! That was a bitter kick in the mouth, didnt waste any time pronouncing the hops were present, this bitterness is then played down in the middle by a nice warm alcohol fuzzy to the sweetness and roasted malts taste. Very complex, as the taste comes on in chapters, bitterness goes away to sraight warm feeling everytime i take a sip even the last. Of course the roasted taste is still there but the alcohol is a lil to defining for my taste. This brew needs to be aged, I will set some aside and come back to it, but my first impression was ill stick with the Oak Aged Yeti (Great Divide).

M- Slick, heavy, and warm, slightly carbonated

D- Two was enough almost to much definately a night cap beer or for those cold bone chilling nights.

Overall- The Storm King is just that, Comes on like a raging storm then subsides to a shaken calm, nice brew very complex but ill seek out others before i try this one again, like i said maybe the cellering will help balance this out a little too. Definatly will be writing another reveiw on a more aged version.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured black with a nice little tan head. It didnt leave much lace though.

S - Dark roasted malts. Hints of chocolate, coffee, and some kind of molasses or sweet scents. These always remind me of chocolate covered cherries.

T - Right on the money for a double stout. Colmplex but light afforementioned flavors swirled together to make this an enjoyable experience.

M - Little carbination and very smooth.

D - Due to the High alcohol this a once a night beer for me. But I look forward to it everytime.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

This poured to a thick, dark black with a minimal head that faded to a ring. There's a medium amount of lace being left behind.

The smell is full of roasted malt, chocolate, and hops. Hop content is assertive without being dominant. There's plenty of other flavor to strike a balance with. The taste starts off malty, turns to chocolate, then finishes with hops and more roasted malt. The mouthfeel is solid and pleasing without being too heavy. Drinkability is off the charts.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottled Jan 2005

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head that fades to a decent cap that leaves some pretty good lacing.

Smell; floral hops stand out the initially, coffee, bittersweet chocolate and just a litlle bit of alcohol.

Taste; you get those hops right up front, but not as powerful as the smell would lead you to believe. There's some of the coffee, and chocolate sweetness in there, with just a hint of some dark fruits. Mouthfeel is medium to full, and much creamier that I was expecting. This is almost to easy to drink with such a high abv. I hope I can manage to get a hold of some more of these.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle...bottled less than 2 months ago.

Pours black with about an inch of tanish brown head.
Immediately can smell a big dark roasted coffee aroma with a slight background of dark unsweetened chocolate. I get a very slight bitey hoppy type aroma as well.
This is a big tasting beer. Full of flavor. Burnt coffee, slight chocolate flavor although not as much as expected after experiencing its smell. Throughout drinking this brew a bitter hop flavor is more and more present which i think contributes to a slight licorice taste...sort of a hop/dark coffee combo creation. Considering the is 9.1 abv I expected a bit more of an alcohol taste which is definately there but not as prevelant as expected. Nice balance of malts/hops. This has a heavy thick mouthfeel to it. Victory sure makes some satisfying beers. This is one of their best.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

I love beer. Sometimes, I come home from work and try a mediocre beer and enjoy it even though it might not really impress me that much. Other times I will drink something that I am very accustomed to. I still enjoy it, but since I drink it so often, I might not appreciate it as much as I should. Times like this, I feel the need to profess my love again, sort of like a renewal of vows.

It poured a DARK brown, almost pitch black, but still had a brown hue. Natural wool colored head (Doesn't that sound delicious?). The head didn't stick around too long and there was only light lacing. The smell was faint, a hint of alcohol and chocolate. But then. . . The taste.

I love stouts. The more chocolaty and coffeeish, the better. I have never had one like this though. It's like a nice mellow coffee, licorice tasting imperial stout (with a bit of alcohol taste) was minding it's own business, walking down the street when, WHAM, it was hit by an 18 wheeled hop truck. When the smoke and carnage clears, the storm king stout is in its place.

The finish was a mixture of the stout and hoppy tastes. A testament to the balance of this beer. I think a case is in order.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

My first stout of the season and I was not disappointed.

This pours a deep, dark amber/brown. No light gets through the pint glass. The head doesn't stay around that long.

The aroma is filled with chocolate, coffee, raisins, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste follows through with the same chocolate, coffee, raisin and alcohol notes but this time the hops come through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is hearty but not as thick and syrupy as I expected.

This is a very drinkable beer. The alcohol is there but masked with a host of complex flavors. This one is good all the way threw. And, as a hop head, it is nice to see more of a hop presence in a stout.

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottled on Sept. 27, 2005 a few hours east of here.

Dark black with almost no transparency, even when held to direct light. Creamy dark khaki colored head the color of the foam on espresso. Moderate sticky lace and a constant ring til the end of the beer. I think this beer made my apartment a little darker.

Smell is kind of alcoholic, which covers a few of the subtleties of this brew. Other than that, all bittersweet chocolate and really good espresso. Tiny hop presence here that only serves to make this smell very fresh and clear, not mucky at all.

Holy crap...coffee, espresso, smooth dark chocolate with a sweet finish. Definitely very smoky/roasty, alcoholic presence in the background, but by no means is this overwhelming nor does it detract from the flavor. Big big beer, but still very manageable, very complex, keeps me guessing. Almost a citrusy hops thing somewhere? Maybe?

Smooth, viscous, maybe a little bit on the thin side, but that's fine with me, still REAL sticky and thick.

Far and away the most drinkable double stout I've ever had. This would've gotten a 5, but if you've been following my reviews (and I seriously can't imagine why you'd follow my reviews, you weirdo) you'd know that I tend to take off .5 or so just for being high abv. I know this unfair to some styles, but I just can't session beers that are 8%+ and still enjoy their flavor.

Opening this was a beerlicious experience.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Deep black in color with a thick 2" tan head. Carbonation levels are low, and some spotty lacing developed through the drink. The nose was big on roasted malts, chocolate, alcohol, and bitterness. The flavor is of roasted malts, coffee, licorice, bitter chocolate, and sports a strong bitterness level. Alcohol is definitely noticeable, but it compliments the overall flavor.

Medium / heavy in body. The mouthfeel is smooth with a touch of crispness at the start. The finish is smooth with a touch of dryness. Great drinkability but these will catch up to you quickly.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Black as night. Moderate-sized dark tan head, below-average retention.

Smell: Malty, with plenty of citrusy hop notes and fruity aromas. I'm getting some black cherry, molasses, coffee, with a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Much smoother than I expected for a brew this strength. Thick and creamy with an initial sweetness of dark malts and a bit of cherry. The hops quickly dominate the taste, with plenty of citrus and floral notes. Carbonation is a little light. Although a hefty brew at 9%ABV, the alcohol is barely perceptible, just a bit of warmth. Finishes nicely, with a bitter, malty finish and aftertaste more like a normal stout.

Overall: Surprisingly drinkable for such a strong and flavorful stout. Just an amazing beer in all aspects.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle to a pub glass. Bottled on January 14th 2005.

Appearance: Pours nearly a perfect blackness. There is a ruby colored opaqueness when held to the light. The head never really rose more than a fingers width but had a nice carmel coloration. No lacing in evidence.

Smell: This is definately the low point for this beer. Smells like citrus and alcohol grassy. Nothing unpleasant just not better than average.

Taste: A bold tasting stout lots of coffee on the front with a great chocolatey back taste. The hops play nicely with the roasted malty goodness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer. This is what I am talking about when I want a stout. Smooth all the way through and really got better as the beer warmed up.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottled December 16th, 2004.

Espresso black but ruby and transparent when held to light. Patchy, greyish-brown head that will not get past 1/2 inch in height. Modest but noticable lace pattern.

Very vinous roasted malt base sits atop reedy alcoholic vapors compounded with prickly cascade hop cones. Grassy. Chocolate lingers on the palate with a clanging, discordant roastiness.

Initially chalky and grainy - somewhat clunky - receding into a bracing wall of bitterness with a chocolate and alcohol afterglow.

Weird, out of place carbonation bites into my tongue and palate. Makes everything seem strangely thin; none of the chewy viscocity I crave in RIS.

Drinkable? Yes. Outstanding? No. I don't think age will do much to this as it is so thin already. I hear this year is a particularly broke vintage.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Deep black and opaque with a thin tan-colored head which barely covers the top of the beer.

It smells really good, mostly hoppy. The smell and flavor both remind me of Old Rasputin. Overall the taste is exceptional: Hops, but not bitter. Chocolate and coffee, but not burnt.

This is a great beer, and I'm saying this as a person who doesn't prefer stouts. It's a really good value and easy to find. Victory does it again (Golden Monkey and HopDevil are both excellent as well).

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance - This is a beautiful beer. Pours out thick and creamy. Settles into a nice dark brown with a medium sized head. You cannot see through this even held up to the light. What a wonderful looking beer.

Smell: Strong coffee/Chocolate notes here. Slight alcohol smell.

Taste: Wow! I found my new favorite beer! (October 27th, 2005) Tastes of coffee, chocolate and caramel.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the thickest beers I have ever had. That is a good thing. Am I gushing? I should be... This is the perfect beer

Drinkabilty: Can I take this I.V.? This beer is a meal in itself and I want the buffet. Congrats to Victory! You have a great brew here! I defy anyone to point out a better double stout!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottled November 2003. Beautiful pour into a tulip glass with a dark chocolate brown head. As the head slowly dissipated, the nose was very nice and welcoming. What a tasty stout. On one hand it was so smooth and easy to drink like a good regular American stout. As it warmed, its depth and complexity shined through. Bitter chocolate, ice coffee, even some black cherry. Very drinkable for the style.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Black body, brown head that is loose and the sea foam eventually falls to a ring outer shell. First drink leaves lace and the rest slides with the alcohol. Nice to look at for sure.

Pours a silky, creamy black syrup. Head starts out mocha colored and after the initiall pour fades to an khacki color with patchy lacing.

Bitter hops up front, Floral boquet that is squashed by charred wood. Slippery mouthfeel that finishes quite dry. This has a great mix of all the essentials without a big winner. Some coffee charectaristics, marginal choclolate, burnt qualities, Rich body, but in balance and well put together. Alcohol is well hidden and really an afterthought. Mild warming on the finish. Medicinal comes to mind in the aftertaste. Its an afterthought on a great beer. This went down way to easy.

Victory once again produces a well thought out and put together brew. Details from the brew down to the modest yet inviting graphics on their labels they are a top notch brewery.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company