Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A winner of a beer from Victory. Poured out to a black cloud like mass. Nice brown head came down to a thin layer of foam after a few minutes, with lace leaving it's mark on the interior of the glass. Lower carbonation. Aromas of coffee, roasted malt, nuts, grain and mature hops fill the nose with anticipation. Taste is complex and rich; flavors of coffee, caramel, malt and some hop bitterness is nearly overwhelming, yet still totally enjoyable. Mouthfeel was thick and creamy, with an almost chewy consitancy of the moist granola bar. Drinkability is good; this beer is a staple when it comes to quality Double Stouts. Recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Another impressive beer from the brewers at Victory. Pours deep black, absolutely no transparence in this one. Swirling head that rimmed out nicely. Big, complex flavors. My first impression is nutty (walnut) followed by a generous helping of smoke. Very unique, very bold.

This is a creamy stout that finishes a bit rough; there is a bitter bite at the end. Big alcohol diminishes its drinakbility.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Black and brown... near syrupy, but not quite. Very slight tan head with excellent stick. Grows with every swirl. This is one of those beers that excites on the pour. Nice. It just looks good.

Aroma is chocolately with bourbon or sherry. Sweet. Malty. Mapley. Absolutey brialliant on the nose. Big aromas.

Smooth and creamy on the palate. Flavor has a touch of hops on the back end. Smokey, raisiny, chocolatey, coffee, alcohol, butterscotch...

A wonderful beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottled Dec. 7, 2004.

Appearance is very dark brown with a nice grayish tan head that actually leaves a ring around the glass that doesn't go away. Smell is a tad fainter than I would prefer but very nice nonetheless. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and citrus are all in there. Taste starts out like the usual American Double Stout with a boatload of roasted malt and some dark fruit, but that's just the beginning. As it makes its way through your palate, you pick up a very strong coffee flavor, that citrus that was in the smell with a little pine needles as well, and some chocolate. There is a definite vinous characteristic throughout. And then the finish...DOES it finish? I really wouldn't know because I still have a little left in my glass and even once when I was forced to take 3 agonizing minutes between sips, I could still taste it. The finish is full of strong bittering hops backed up by a nice dark chocolate and coffee flavor. There's even some vanilla in there. And the roasted malt lingers as well. Simply incredible. At first I had the taste at a 4.5, but as it warms this beer really opens up with flavors you didn't find before. I think I even tasted some cinnamon.

It's like Victory just threw whatever they had around in there and it somehow merged into a beautifully balanced stout. Like the brewmaster said, "Here's some roasted malt...hey Bill you using these cascade hops? No, ok I'm throwing em in, how about this chocolate? Or these spices? What about this hamburger...? Oh you're still finishing that. Ok never mind." Anyway, I'm glad they didn't throw the hamburger in, though if you've ever had the hamburger at Victory it is DAMN good. To this day I have not had a better burger. But anyway, I think the alcohol might be getting to me a bit in this one as I'm almost finished. 9.1%? I can't taste it at all. Mouthfeel is excellent, perfect for this creation. Nice and thick and creamy - exactly what you would want without being too heavy. Drinkability is off the charts. I may have 3 or 4 more! This is world class. It's maybe even on the less extreme side of American Double Stouts these days, but it's nearly perfect for what it is.

With today's weather being a bit chilly I thought I'd pull out one of my Storm King's, which to my surprise I had not yet reviewed.

Deep black body with a thick tan head. Smells like roasted malt and chocolate. Tastes much the same, but with a smooth hoppy finish. Immidately warms my body and spirit.

This beer continues to earn it's place as a world class stout and a must for all to try.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

As other BA's have mentioned, beer combines some of my favorite characteristics in stout, but doubled with the hop and you have Storm King. A coffee velvet mouthfeel, combined with the bite of hops, and subltle carbonation makes this a truly unique stout. Not for the faint of heart though, very strong and heavy...Perfect for those cold winter nights in front of the fire. Victory is mastering their craft. Now if I can only find on draft...

3.01/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Updated Review: 2-06-2010

This one pours a clear dark black with a creamy tan film of head that leaves some nice lacing along my glass.

Smells of sour grains, sweet chocolate syrup and a funky sour cough syrup rounded off with a disconnected piney hop.

Tastes of sweet root beer and distant chocolate that fades into a sour cough syrup. This then awkwardly falls into a piney hop that lingers long in the finish with red grapefruit peels. The balance here is pretty bad.

Feels clean and airy with a soft swarm of carbonation that seems to avoid my tongue.

A mere shadow of what this was five years ago. This is pretty gross, in my opinion. I regret buying a six-pack.

Original Review: 10-04-2005

This beer pours nearly black with a slight obsidian glow. After a hard pour, the head looked like tiny copper ball bearings that faded to white and collapse all together in a few minutes.

On the nose, there's a subtle cocktail of coffee, hops, pineapple and plumbs. There's also a tiny bit of alcohol that I had to really sniff out.

The flavor is absolutely amazing. Big sticky black malt with only a slight roasted flavor that transitions into fruity hops. To further explain the flavor of this beer, it seems that the sweetness of the malt blends into the sweetness of the hops. But wait, there's more. In addition, the dryness of the roasted malt blends into the dryness of the hops. So, you get a blend of caramel and chocolate malt sweetness, that is seamlessly blended with citrus and port-like hops. On the dry end, the coffee notes blend easily into the tart plumb skin-like dryness of the hops. I find this to be truly amazing and unique in beer. My favorite aspect of this beer is that in between the transition of malt to hops all sorts of fruity port, plumb, prune, red grape flavors make themselves known only for an instant. It really boggles the mind to drink. I'm disappointed to only give this category a 5.

This is a very viscous beer with minimal carbonation. What little carbonation helps with the dynamics of the drinking, perhaps delaying the onset of the fruitiness related to the hops. There's a good thick body that just slides down your throat.

I'm the kind of guy who, on the hottest day of the summer, will still reach for a stout first. That's just me. I'll have to say, this beer is hands down my favorite. Not too much coffee, and some delicate sweetness with some mystical guest appearance of subtle flavors that appear out of nowhere. That, and the price is right on for a stronger beer. Here's to Victory!

As a side note, the beer is far hoppier when it is cask conditioned at the Victory Brewery. There are big pacific north west hops flavors that dominate the roasted malts. This is an absolute must for the hop-head who wants to take a trip to the dark side. However, the hoppiness of the cask detracts from the subtle blend that I rate so highly.

A+

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%

A: A respectable tan head slowly arose after a hard pour and then subsided to a frothy ring. The brew, a dark brown, is actually lighter than most stouts of this stature. The goblet is covered with lace by the end of the drink.

S: It hit my nose as soon as I popped the cap. So much going on here... roasted malt, beautiful hops aroma, coffee, chocolate, and honey(?). Delicious.

T: Tons of wonderful hops flavor is balanced surprisingly well with the malt and flavors of dark chocolate and espresso. A blast of hops bittnerness in the finish completes the experience. The alcohol is very well hidden in this one.

M: Nice and heavy with a very smooth carbonation that is perfect for the style.

D: This is a stellar beer. This one doesn't have the motor oil-like mouth feel of the Stone RIS, but its taste is smoother and for $8.99 a sixer, you just can't beat the value. Not even with a stick. Buy this beer, drink it often.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Now Quaffing: Victory Storm King Stout

Pours a deep, dark brown--nearly opaque. Head is almost white and recedes quickly with some nice sticky lacing. Absolute delicious aroma of rich cocoa--I could smell this one all day. Taste is the same rich cocoa with a good dose of floral hops. Finishes fairly clean, without much lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick without being syrupy. Dangerously drinkable. This is one of the best stouts made in this country, too bad I can not get it on a regular basis.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unbelievable looking,a dark rick color with a full three finger head.Very aromatic with a kinds of spices.I don't have the best nose ,but I could detect coffee and carmel with no bitterness.A full flavor with a little bit of fruitness and spices.This is one of the more drinkable stouts.I rank this very high.

12oz bottle
Appearance-Black with some ruby red on the edges
Smell-Coffee/Malt
Taste-Wow another great Imperial Stout!!..Smooth with good overtones of coffee/malt/hides the ABV very nice!!
Mouthfeel-Smooth/milk Shake smooth.
Drinkability-A good Imperial Stout that has all the qualities of an BIG stout and hides that hot ABV taste. I should have purchased more than a single bottle...could drink this all night long!!

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%

Pour is black and opaque, not too thick. The small head is light/medium brown, settled quickly with some lacing.

Not a strong smell. Some malt, hops, coffee.

Dark thick flavor. Pretty complex and very interesting. Very prominent roasted malt, more hops than I expected, molasses, coffee/chocolate also.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, a little thinner than I expected, but a nice sipper.

Drinkability is very high. Smooth and tasty. But watch out! This brew masks it's ABV even better than Stone's Imperial Stout. I would not have guessed it was more than 7-7.5% without reading the label.

Overall a winner! I am very sorry that I didn't grab the whole six-pack when I bought this, settling instead for 2 singles. Guess I'll go back Monday and try to get the remainder.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottled on date Dec 23 2004.
Pours a deep opaque brown with a inch thick frothy head which laces the glass thorough the session.
The smell is of roasted malts nothing really strong.
The taste is of roasted malts and chocolate with a hint of bitterness, with a warmth or alcohol. The alcohol is not overpowering at all surprisingly for being at 9.10%
Mouthfeel is light, smooth with a light carbonation.
Drinkable beer indeed, just keep in mind the ABV.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked up a 12 oz bottle in Indianapolis and have been pretty happy ever since. The pour was a dark midnight color with limited color deviations on the side or if you tip the glass. A respectable head light tan head and decent lace remains with the beer. Impressive even the lace has a tan tinge to it.

The smell has big hints of strong malt and coffee flavors. Some other aromas confine of figs and a little bit of brown sugar. Not really sweet but more of an off sweet smell. A good roasted presence but not really any strong phenol smells. The taste if very rich. A big malt sweetness hello matched nicely with a caramel toffee taste to it. Hints of roasted and stronger rich chocolate tones. A very complex malt flavor that mixes well with a pretty ample hop flavor. More then typical, I would say.

Impressive about this beer is a great body flavor and the big ABV is easily masked. A smooth and highly drinkable taste.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

A touch of transparency in the pour, as a dark dark brown, but impossible to see through in the glass. Nice bit of fine-bubbled light brown head, forming nice lacing on the way down. Has that dark roasted stout smell. I can pick out a coffee aroma at the least. Tastes great, with a dark roasted flavor and smoky, malty aftertaste. Nice and creamy and smooth.

After trying a bunch of stouts a few days ago, this measures up very well, although I still favor Founders Breakfast Stout over this one (but only by a little).

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 11/21/03. Pours an opaque black with a medium sized creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is milky chocolate, coffee, anise, dark fruits and some mintiness and sharp alcohol.

The flavor is sweet and very milky chocolate, a little more mintiness and anise, and a bitter and roasty coffee finish. There's a touch of alcohol, but it is well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium to full with soft creamy carbonation.

Overall, a very fine beer. I was expecting a bit more though. I would like to try this fresh sometime to compare.

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on Jan. 14 '05

Black color with a blossoming khaki head. Mucho lacing.

Scents on plums and molasses, reminiscent of a barley wine. Not much else comes through.

Whoa! There’s a lot going on here. Obvious dark roasted malts with perforated bitter edges compliments on the generous use of whole hops. Dark baker's chocolate rears its chalky head somewhere in the middle. Malted milk sweetly finishes things off.

Mouthfeel is extraordinary. Super silky soft and somewhat oily. The full body keeps moving along thanks to it's fine and well suited level of carbonation. Finish is veeerrryyy long, full and a tad bitter.

Drinkability is dangerously high for such an arsenal beer. Definitely an ale to be content with on a snowy Michigan weekend, even though its currently 82F and I'm smiling ear-to-ear. A winner from an exceptional brewery.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Victory brews finally hit California in early-mid-2005, and the Inland Empire a couple months later. And it was only a few cases of Storm King, HopDevil, Golden Monkey, and V-12 at my local store. Once those cases went away, Victory was gone. But I was lucky enough to get a sixer of HopDevil and Storm King, and this is the review of my last bottle of the stout.

Beautiful rich deep mahogany brown-black that actually looks thick; has a brown root-beer head that drops to about 1/8th inch where it hangs for a while.

Aroma is rich, malty, slight chocolate sweetness, bitter espresso (when the beer is a little warmer), quite nice. Aroma is good, but I expected it to be stronger and more "in my face". It's actually subtle, and kind of weak. Not a bad aroma, don't get me wrong, I just wish it was more like some beers that I can smell from a foot (or more) away.

Flavor makes up for it though, with rich malts, espresso, cream, slight honey (very slight), perhaps some vanilla, and a nice bitter end. End also has a distinct alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel is very nice and comforting, not as creamy as some, but more so than a simple stout. The alcohol ending detracts from the overall mouthfeel, and reduces its drinkability.

In summary, this is an excellent stout (OK, double stout).

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Storm King...
You make my heart sing...
you make everything...
groovy...
oh Storm King...

Storm King...
I think I love you...
BUT I WANT TO KNOW FOR SURE...
so I guess I'd better drink that second bottle...

Appearance: Actually, a bit lighter for the style than is typical. I'm accustomed to imperial/double stouts possessing a heart of neutronium, a black so dense it absorbs all light and matter that comes its way. This beer, on the other hand, doesn't do that. Ruby red highlights around the outermost edges, almost makes it look like a standard stout. The color belies the badass ABV.

Smell: Chocolate and port, my homies, and hops my ass. I know they are there, but this 9.1% beer is the one with the wallet in the bag that says "Bad Muthafucka". Malts rule the day here, kids. Smell it and love it, or get the fuck out. Me, I'm staying.

Taste: Dark chocolate, port and just a mere hint of bitterness around the edges of my tongue. It's almost like the beer is daring you to come out and play.

Mouthfeel: I have a six year old son that loves to let ice cream melt, mix the crap out of it and then drink it. This beer feels like that in my mouth.

Drinkability: Well, if you're a big fat guy like myself, you can drink the crap out of it. And I would if I had more than two. However, I don't, so I'll have to jealously guard my next one.

This message brought to you courtesy of FirstMan, the sweet drinkin' BA who bought me this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

presentation: 12oz. with a black label and blue, yellow and red graphics. highlights of falcon-like/eagle-like bird with a crown peers at you out of the darkness. there is a personal explanation of their stout on the label, written by ron and bill, the brewers. abv is displayed at 9.1% along with a bottled date: sep. 08, '04. bottle conditioned.

appearance: pours midnight black opaque with no real highlights in my snifter glass. a nice 1" dark tan head with some red highlights. drops to a cap and laces nicely.

smell: first sniff reveals the reminiscent victory cascade lemony citrus hops. alcohol and some fruitiness.

taste: semi-sweet dark chocolate and espresso. a mild bitterness follows to attempt to balance out the toasted malt, coffee and molasses. more noticible alcohol as it warms. lightly bitter dry/acidic finish. begs for more.

mouthfeel: wonderful! thick and viscous full body with a light prickling carbonation. smooth with a velvety swallow. perfect!

drinkability: i feel the alcohol working, but this is a very drinkable impy stout. the thickness may slow down some, but i love it.

overall: i was reminded of how overpowering old horizontal was, so i planned on drinking the one bottle of storm king that i had next year. thanks to skyhand for sending me another one in a bif. i'm so glad i got to try one now. it's a truely beautiful american impy stout!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Disclaimer: this is a seasonal brew but it has been well cellared and in good condition for this review. This can be seen as a snapshot of how this beer will age.

It pours a rich opaque ebony color with ruby hints at the edges and a lasting dense tan one-finger head. There is some real depth here.

The aroma is powerful- it can barely be contained. It hits my nose the second the crown has been popped. Citrus hops are first on the scene, but they can barely conceal a mountain of roasted malt and caramel. Some spices also come to the surface (vanilla, anise, sassafras) as well as some berries and figs, and even a touch of butter. It seems at first to have a straightforward aroma but it becomes more complex the more it is examined.

The palate is full yet dry, though the flavor falters in comparisson to the nose. It is mostly the coffee-like malts and caramel but little else. Bitterness is pleasingly high. The finish is long and it is there that a touch of the herbal/spiciness shows its head. Unfortunately the fruit has not carried through.

I really do like this beer and anticipate a re-review when fresh.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottled Jan. 14, 2005.

Pours jet black, with a frothy, beige head...leaves thin sheets of lacing. Absolutely impermeable darkness.
Faint smell of roasted malts..nothing too overpowering. Tastes are more subtle than I expected them to be, however, it is fairly complex. Finishes quite bitter, even for an Imperial Stout...more of a roasted coffee taste mixed with a nice hop finish. The alcohol could be a little better hidden. At 9.1%, I could definitely taste it. With the Old Horizontal (11% ABV) I had the other night, I could barely taste any alcohol at all.
To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this beer lands in the Top 20, but then again, I'm not a "stout expert" by any means. I'm going to set my 2nd bottle down a year or so and compare the two.

Big thanks to ski271 for the bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

When I set down this bottle on my computer desk, my rather large stuffed penguin fell down and tumbled to the floor.. I hope that's a sign of this beer's power. :)

OK, here we go. Nice satisfying sound as the cap comes off, and a mist rises out and blown away by the ceiling fan. Just a hint of the aroma reaches my nose before I even pour.

In the stream down to the glass, it looks cola colour.... There's a nice strong tan head (three fingers or more- and I have big fingers) that slowly disintegrates, leaving thick wet lace behind. Below it is a VERY dark, VERY clean liquid, mahogany at the edges, and also mahogany when held to the light- no opaque haze, just a nice clean, clear stout.

The aroma is lighter than I expected, a little sweet and hoppy, with malty qualities that also carry some alcohol aroma. There's a strong yeasty kick to the smell.

Wow... I can't quite put my finger on the flavours right at the first sip! There's a woodiness at first, along with a dark maltiness- but the malt is not cloying or overpowering. The woodiness continues, with some spice building into the finish. There's a bit of hoppiness up front, but it dulls a bit and combines with the spiciness, then hangs in the back center of your tongue.

The mouthfeel is a little fizzier than I really like in a stout, but that doesn't distract at all. There's a low, tight carbonation that couples nicely with the medium-thick body of the beer. The liquid is nice and round and unobtrusive. Very pleasant.

Not the most drinkable stout I've had, but I still give it high marks. I could down a few of these in one night with no complaints. I now wish I'd bought more than just two bottles on my last trip to VA.

Be well
-UF

12 Oz. w/ bottled on date of Dec 16, 2004

Pours black as coal with a touch of mahogany anound the edges of the glass where the smallest amount of light manages to escape. The topping of this baby is two fingers of dense tan foam with lots of staying power.

The nose is comprised mostly of alcohol esters and deep roasted malt with hints of chocolate and coffee.

Entry is highlighted by the immediate discovery of a wonderous mouthfeel; velvety smooth, light...yet filling. The taste is a seven course meal consisting of roasted malts, expresso coffee,sweet toffee, melted chocolate, smooth yeast, and alcohol esters. Suddenly the entire dinner stops with the entrance of whole flower hops until they release their grip on the palate to allow a beautiful malted milk chocolate fade.

Thus far this is (by far) the best beer I've had from this near-famous brewery in Downingtown Pa.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

I've tasted this several times in bottles. More recently, I had a bottle of it at the Which Brew in Easton, PA. But I never did a review on it until now. I guess that's because I finally visited Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA, and I had a sample of it on draft. I believe the bartender even mixed a sample of the Storm King with the Golden Monkey tripel to create a special concoction for us. That was good too.

But the Storm King is definitely one of the most potent and complex stouts I've ever had. It pours very dark...black may be more appropriate. The malt taste leads to many assumptions about the recipe. It has a chocolate, coffee taste, but there are many other things at work. I also sensed that there was a hint of cherry or raspberry. But it is a potent stout, and I know I could not finish more than a pint of this in one sitting. Very tasty. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company