Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,510 | Reviews: 2,590

This is one of my favorite beers, but I have not bought a single one since they went from a six pack to a four pack out of principle.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great color and feel. A hoppy Imperial Stout. Unlike some other Victory higher gravity brews, you know the alcohol is there with this one.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark, almost black opaque color. Nice two finger head.
Smell: I'm getting some nice milk chocolate, dark fruit, coffee and some flowery notes, along with some dark roasted malty aromas. I'm also getting a bit of alcohol in the nose.
Taste: The taste is very similar to the nose, with some chocolate, coffee and fruity flavors - the hops are pretty forward in this one. There is a bit of alcohol on the back end as well, but not overpowering, pretty subtle.
Mouthfeel: I thought the mouthfeel on this one was a bit thin, and somewhat dry on the finish.
Overall: This is a very good brew, pretty hoppy for an impy stout, but definitely not in a bad way. I really like the hoppiness in that it doesn't overcome the roasty stout flavors, but complements them very well.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great tasting Russian Imperial, and you cant beat the bang for your buck!

4.83/5  rDev +19%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding hint of sweetest just right amount of hops.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage 12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of caramel-colored head that quickly dissolved into an extremely thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: I’m stuffed up at the moment (I know that being in that condition is not ideal for reviewing a beer) but even so, I can still smell very strong aromas of roasted malt, some subtle smoke, and dark chocolate.

Taste: Strong flavors of roasted malt up front, imparting notes of roasted coffee beans, followed by some subtle smoke, some brown sugar-like sweetness, finished with some well-balanced hops. Delicious!!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and pretty smooth, as there is some slight carbonation. With an ABV of 9.1%, there’s quite a bit of alcohol on the palate, imparting some very pleasant warmth.

Overall: Damn, this is another excellent imperial stout! It has great flavors of roasted malt, sweetness and balanced hops. While not exactly world class like Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout, Founders Imperial Stout, Great Lakes Black-Out Stout and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, it’s almost up there, and I’ll certainly keep some of this in my cellar! Excellent!

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, best before 12/11/2017. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense tan head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toffee, toast, dark bread, citrus zest, pine, floral, grass, light smoke/char, and floral/roasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and moderate citrus/pine hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toffee, toast, dark bread, citrus zest, pine, floral, grass, light smoke/char and floral/roasted earthiness. Fair amount of pine/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toffee, toast, dark bread, citrus, pine, light smoke/char, and floral/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and robustness of dark/roasted malt and moderate citrus/pine hop flavors; with a great bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, creamy, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Russian imperial stout style. All around great robustness, complexity, and balance of dark/roasted malt and moderate citrus/pine hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black color with a thin tan head that fades and leaves minimal spotty lacing. Espresso, roared malt, citrus, and charcoal. It's roasty up front, espresso, char and burnt toffee flavors up front. Citrus hop bite mid palate finishes too bitter with an astringent burnt coffee flavor and strong hop finish. Feel is medium and a bit thin for a stout. Nicely carbonated and a dry finish. Overall it's dedent, it drinks more like a black IPA, but it's far from the best no matter which way you classify it. Probably will finish the 4 pack but won't seek it out again.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

Far too bitter for my liking

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

A top pick if you are looking for something to drink in the winter!

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

There was no date on the bottle, so I’m not exactly sure how old this is, but I’m pretty sure I’ve aged it at LEAST a few years, which may be why I like this more than others.

Appearance – A super dark black amber with a moderate head and moderate lacing. The head diminishes to a thin layer fairly quickly.

Smell – Wow, a very robust, super malty scent. I’m not smelling the hops that others noticed, likely because of the aging. Semi-sweet chocolate as well.

Taste – A wonderful malty flavor. Again, not much hop flavor, but that’s a big plus in my opinion for a stout.

Mouthfeel – Thick, creamy, nicely carbonated and smooth. No bad aftertaste. I think it could use a little more alcohol, maybe 12-14%, but it’s really nice.

Drinkability – This one surprised me based on the current BA score. Perhaps aging did it wonders.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If this was in a blind taste test, I'd think I was drinking an IPA. Very hoppy, yet dark. Hoppy and malty indeed.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was totally shocked from the flavors going on here. A nice dark roast grabs your taste budds and all of a sudden a mild level of hops come into play. The flavors all blended well and made it quite enjoyable.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours dark. If I cleaned the glass, thick tan head.

S: Picking up what the bottle claims: espresso.

T: Espresso with hint of licorice?

F: Nice with light carbonation.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I wanted to like this more than I did. As others are saying, intense roast, very hoppy, aggressive carbonation. The nose was very unappealing with a strange barnyard top note.

Outstanding IS! Great value for the price too!

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This stout has more of the heavy roast and acrid elements than I prefer in the style. There was heavy carbonation with this bottle perhaps accentuating the roast, burnt notes.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

One of my favorites. Tons of subtle fruit, coffee, nut favors. I even get a hint of banana, but I like it. Finished with an interesting hop flavor. For me it has a complex and diverse taste.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Full and hoppy. Hops come out above the roasty flavors.

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reminded me more of a black IPA than an imperial stout. Being that RIS is my favorite profile, I didn't favor this hoppy deviation. If someone poured me one and told me I was about to drink a black IPA, I might regard it as a very favorable IPA.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Black w/ brown on the edges, very thin head
S: Hoppy w/ nice malty undertones & subtle coffee
T: Front is hoppy IPA (hoppy citrus but not astringent w/ some earthy hops & spicy), middle is coffee w/ some chocolate with a dry finish.
M: Med to low carbonation, full bodied, smooth.
O: An outstanding Hop forward stout (CDA), less complex than an RIS (no fruityness in this one). Very drinkable and tasty.

I was not expecting the bitterness you would expect from an IPA. Besides that, I really liked this beer, and could only think of pairing it with a nice slice of chocolate cake.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

More of a black IPA to me than a stout, just seems really hoppy, not what I was expecting. Not bad though.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Bitterness from this hoppy stout really overrode any other traditional flavors that one gets from an imperial. Good to try, but not a taste profile for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

It's a little strong for my taste, but you can tell it's quality brewed and Victory knows their stuff. I'd try it again in hopes that I can handle it, but maybe that's why I shouldn't have had it in the first place.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company