Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,587 | Hads: 5,658

This is my favorite beer. Love the taste and the alcohol burn. I drink this almost every week. Never had a stout I like better despite trying several other that have higher ratings on this site.

Try pouring this in a glass and holding it to the light; I defy you to see any get through. This is the blackest stuff I've ever seen. Then the taste -- a hint of chocolate (just a bit), espresso, and just enough bitterness from the hops. Amazing. This is why I love beer.

4.99/5  rDev +21.7%

This is one of my top 5 beers of all time. This is definitely on the hoppy side for a stout, which I love. To me this could almost be classified as a black IPA. The smell of this beer is mind-blowing, and the taste follows suit. Not too thick and moderately carbonated for a "stout". This will not disappoint. Best Victory beer I have had so far. Amazing.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow. This is one amazing brew. Absolutely the blackest black ever. Not one ray of light gets through this stuff. Pours with a nice head that sinks down to a clinging lace. I picked up aromas of dark chocolate, dark fruits, and a very faint alcohol aroma. The first thing that hits my tongue is chocolate and espresso, lots and lots of both. Lots of roasted malts too. A very chewy beer, very creamy in the mouth. For as full bodied and chewy as this beer is I find it incredibly drinkable. It is like my taste buds just can't get enough of it and my somach has no objections to more and more of it. An absolutely awesome beer.

Reviewed from notes some time in December 11

Poured jet black into a snifter.

The smell of this one is hops, chocolate, big malts and a small coffeee.

Taste, Wow what a big awesome flavor you get big malts, chocolate, minor coffee and a really nice hop kick. Creamy mouthfeel with a slight bitter bite towards the end.

This is my favorite stout I love the big hops and the big flavor and I really love the small price tag!

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Sweet Victory. This is one I can't resist. This is top shelf. If you have a macro-drinking friend, give them this. If they can't recognize its greatness, give up. They don't get it.

Smells sweet, malt, chocolate, coffee, fruit.

Pours slick from bottle, black color, frothy inviting tan head.

Tastes like a stout should. Complex full-bodied with hints of citric, robust malt. Damn good.

ABV is barely believable, this beer is so drinkable. But after about two, you'll have no trouble believing the ABV.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Bottled on date of Nov. 18th 2005.

A: Espresso black with a bubbly one finger dark beige head which quickly dissipates leaving a light ring with light sticky lacing.

S: First breath is of fruity alcohol and toasted chocolate malt. Crisp aromatic hops with toffee and coffee. This brew has an interesting nutty almost peanut note as well as a buttery smell.

T: Smoky dark chocolate, toffee and coffee with crisp bitter hops. Taste is like butter, with the alcohol content hidden exceptionally well. Smoky and nutty notes.

M: Chewy chocolate feel. Good carbonation with a dry finish.

D: The alcohol is so well hidden that all you get is taste, and this beer tastes awesome. I will definetly be picking this up for a nice winter warmer.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

An exceptional beer in every category...Deep black color, perfectly creamy tan head. It stayed and laced the glass perfectly. Nice smooth balanced chocolate, roasted fruit aroama. Plums, raisans, and sweet hit the nose. The taste was everything to be expected. Heavy chocolate taste, balanced with some unexpected hoppyness. Perfectly smooth, silky chocolate finish and feel. Flavors are perfectly balanced and more subtle than the Old Rasputin, lacks any harsh bitter finish. It would be a dream to have on tap. Another highly hyped Victory product that lived up to the hype.
3 Cheers to Victory....................

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Getting huge aromas of that whole flower fruity almost cherry or in this case blueberry smell. A bit piney as well and then underneath you get the subtle coffee, chocolate and sweet dark roasted malts.

It's sweet up front with the chocolate and coffee and sweet dark roasted bitter malts up front and then the piney, fruity hop resin taste. You get a bit of the alcohol in there as it warms. When it does warm the hops subside just a bit and the dark roasted sweet malt and the chocolate coffee taste comes through a bit more.

This beer comes in two phases really. When its cold its all about the strong bitter hops with the stout flavors residing a bit behind it and then they come out more as it warms with the hops still playing a good role. Its almost like a black IPA in my mind which I dont mind at all because I love IPA's and the taste of Pacific Northwest hops.

What I like the most about this beer is definitely its hoppy character for a stout but not only that but how they meld the dry bitterness from the dark roasted coffee chocolate malts with the whole flower hops so well. The whole flower hops definitely give it that more hoppy flavor than you'd find in a stout but it really is quite a beer.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

totally wicked lookin' owl face comming from the darkness with purple lightening and a crown. no extra points for that though-there's no room for them. as soon as i poped the top off the smell hit the air and lit it up with molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, some earth tones and a touch of floral odor. it poured a gorgeous dark and it's probably opaque. dark tan coco colored head is very sturdy and leaves impressive sheets of lace down the inside of the glass. the flavors are great! death by chocolate first and some hints of honey glide me into a sweeter ripe fruit/dried fruit like figs. that fleets as quickly to reveal a solid malt and toast. it feels like it actually roasts and eventually chars on my palate. it really dries up and becomes plesantly bitter and crisp on the finish. it leaves a hint of honey that i found perticularly nice. the mouthfeel is in my opinion creamy and soft yet definately for real. i couldn't wait to have another!

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

Definitely one of the best, if not the best, stouts I've ever had. Every sip is a pleasure. The complexity and fullness are strong down to the last drink.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Pitch black hue with a thin, well-retaining tan head. Hops, espresso, cherry and light alcohol rather inviting on the nose. Up front, a great velvet smoothness, a bit oily and at the same time dry; some dark chocolate, licorise and definitive hop presence noted in the body. Toasted malt combined with a slight citrus touch, warming detection noted towards the end. Robust, rich and tasty; incredible flavors, perfectly balanced, lives up to it's reputation as one of the best.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Oh. Ooh! Oh, yes. Oooh, Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! YES! YES! Aaah! Whew! Mmmmmm!

Brought to Moscow by friends from Northern Virginia, my precious bottle was filled on 1/28/03, and emptied on 8/16/03. The label calls this an Imperial Stout. Supposedly, imperial stouts were first developed in Russia for the Czar's court. I guess the commies ditched the style when they ditched the Czar. I sure haven't found anything in Russia that comes close to this masterpiece.

Pours black as coal, with a thin dark, almost amber colored head. This head faded too quickly, however, causing me to mark down the appearance. There was no lace on my glass. The nose was big with caramel and malt, but relatively subdued when cold. It grew, ever so subtlely as the brew warmed in the glass, until it was bold and assertive like few brews anywhere. The mouth was, in my view, too bubbly for the style, hence the other markdown in my review. It was heavy with roasted sweetness, though - very nice.

Then there's the taste. My goodness! Sweet and malty to start, with hints of chocolate, coffee, and plumbs. There is also hops from the start, getting stronger as the liquid and the tongue indulge in a mutually passionate embrace. The finish is thus bitter and flowery and smooth, with some lingering caramel and roasted chestnuts. The aftertaste is sweet, bitter and roasty all at once. Not only the nose, but also the taste get even better (although less sweet) as the brew warms, so don't be in a hurry to drink this one. Savor it. Enjoy it. Relish it. Yum!

4.92/5  rDev +20%

This is one of the best beers I have ever drank. I have to say, though, that I am partial to stouts and imperial stouts.

This pours a solid black with a very slight head that disappears quickly. If it had a good head on it, i would have rated the appearance tops. The smell is almost like a nutty coffee but isn't overpowering. The flavor is like a rich coffee and dark chocolate. In fact, eating dark chocolate with this beer brings out the flavors in both.

I highly recommend this.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Appearance: Black with brown undertones and a medium tan creamy head that leaves fantastic lacing.

Smell: Mild smokey aroma of oatmeal, nuts and yeasts. Estery and alcohol forward with some similar qualities to a doppelbock. The hops are floral. The malts give off smells of dark fruits, plum and fig.

Taste: Very dry with roasted smokey malts. Fruits such as plum and cherry are noticeable. The overall impression is of espresso with a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium and chalky with a great balance between hops and malts. The malts and hops make many subtle impressions on my palate. Nothing is too cloying but rather the flavors make their impression and then fade into a decent bitterness.

Overall: Good price and amazing drinkability for a beer of this strength. It satisfies without being too think or heavy. Lots of character in a European interpretation of the imperial stout. I could drink two of these in a sitting.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Time to sit down and review the storm king. This is one that i've had a few times in the past but not since i've been reviewing beers here.

Pours a deep black color with a nice fluffy 1" foamy tan head. The foam slowly disipates to i thin cap that leaves trails down the glass after every sip. Smell is roasted chocolate malt, my favorite. Hint of cherries too, and more hops than expected. Taste of chocalate malt but the big surprise is the level of hop bitterness. Just a great tasting stout. The high ABV is well hidden. Smooth and creamy mouthfeal. This just goes down sooo smooth. This is going to be a regular on my beer list. Also, the price is incredibly reasonable (less than $30/case) for the quality. If you haven't had this beer, you must try it. Great job Victory.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

The best Imperial Stout I've had off the shelf so far. Surprised it packs such a high ABV when it's so damn smooth. It pours a dark brown, with a small head and is pretty thin. But the taste is exceptional, with chocolate and a bunch good stuff. I liked this beer better than Old Rasputin, Stone RIS and Left Hand Imperial Stout. Great beer and way drinkable for an Imperial Stout

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Bottled NOv. 11, 2002. Opened May 4, 2004.
Wow, a fantastic imperial stout. Pours a pitch black color. A beautiful brown head forms. Nice lacing remains after every sip. The taste is amazingly complicated with hints of caramel, coffee, and perhaps chocolate. This is a very smooth beer. Also very drinkable, even at 9.5% ABV. Be sure to drink this at room temp for best taste.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

I've been enjoying Storm King for a good part of the winter season, but am only now getting around to rating it.

Appearance -- Black ink in color with a strong two-finger khaki head. The head has some staying power and leaves a foamy lacing on the sides of my imperial pint glass when it weakens. This stout is absolutely breathtaking to look at!

Smell -- Roasted malts, but with a great hop presence. The hops in the beer are what make Storm King such an endearing stout for me. One of the best smelling beers IMHO.

Taste -- Malty with an aggressive hop finish. Hops are pretty prevalent in this beer, but you can definitely tell this is an Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel -- Heavy and creamy. Almost like a think shake.

Drinkability -- For a RIS the drinkability is very good, although I'd recommend stopping after two. I absolutely love this beer and recommend it to all craft beer enthusiasts! I plan on buying at least a case before the summer. I don't know if I'll be able to wait until next fall/winter to drink this one again!

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

A: Holy bubbly head Batman! This thing is HUGE! Nothing I would ever expect to see from a RIS and I am a careful pourer. 5 fingers easily and a beautiful twilight black. Take me 20 pours to get into my pint glass. Frothy, chocolate mountain of a head.

S: Nice citrusy hard hitting hops. It really compares to their Hop Wallop. Bitter roasted chocolate malts in the background. I don't get the usual sweetness like in most RIS's and that is a good thing in a different way. Very much coffee like here.

T: Oh my! Very hoppy. Very bitter. I am another hop head that does not care for it in my RIS but this is really nice. The bitterness is like chewing on a coffee bean. Any chocolate sweetness is out in left field.

M: Creamy and frothy. That head still hasn't died down. Even the bottle took on a head. Probably the thickest RIS ever.

D: A lot of beers this style can be hard to drink sometimes due to overwhelming sweetness or off bitterness. This one is near perfection.

I avoided this one for awhile because review seemed a bit low. The reviews seemed to step up and caught my eye. I see now I have been missing out. Victory has a taken a bold step in a different direction with their RIS. In a sea of many this will stand out as breaking away from the style. Do we really need every RIS to taste like swiss chocolate and cafe mocha? Victory doesn't think so and hit has paid off big time.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance= Poured out of bottle into tulip/snifter glass a beautiful midnight black with exceptional creamy head leaving behind good lacing.

Aroma= roasted barley malt, cocoa/coffee, and booze. Very tempting and empowering. Cannot wait to sip it.

Taste= Burned maltinesss overpowered by the hops with lingering for minutes after wards, WOW!! Some hints of chocolate and coffee-like flavors. Very nice.

Body=Medium to full-bodied, with minimal carbonation. The subdued, minimized carbonation really helps, as too much carbonation would kill the flavor. Unlike other Victory beers, they actually kept the carbonation level low here.

Outstanding!!! I know others do not like hoppiness in their stouts/imperial stouts, so maybe I'm being biased being a hardcore hophead, but this rocks. I love it. Truly heaven

On-tap at Eli Cannon's

Oh boy, I know how this beer is in the bottle, but on-tap? Couldn't wait. Served in a pint glass. Color was pitch black with a nice amount of carbonation. Smell was a little hoppy, some ripen fruit, chocolate, and some coffee in there. Taste was out of this world. So smooth and creamy it was amazing. Some roasted flavors hit the palate along with some hops and then the bitter chocolate hits along with some coffee and dark fruit. But they all blended in so well it was amazing. After having some of this I don't know if I could go back to the bottle verison. This was just stunning on-tap.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

My first impression of Storm King was the complex and rich
flavor and it's drinkability. The alcohol was subdued but it was
definitely there. It was midnight black with a creamy, leather-
brown head. This beer matched perfectly with the chocolate cheesecake I was enjoying. A great cold weather beer. I tasted hints of chocolate and coffee, along with some fruitiness. Excellent.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance - This is a beautiful beer. Pours out thick and creamy. Settles into a nice dark brown with a medium sized head. You cannot see through this even held up to the light. What a wonderful looking beer.

Smell: Strong coffee/Chocolate notes here. Slight alcohol smell.

Taste: Wow! I found my new favorite beer! (October 27th, 2005) Tastes of coffee, chocolate and caramel.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the thickest beers I have ever had. That is a good thing. Am I gushing? I should be... This is the perfect beer

Drinkabilty: Can I take this I.V.? This beer is a meal in itself and I want the buffet. Congrats to Victory! You have a great brew here! I defy anyone to point out a better double stout!

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer is excellent.

It pours an opaque black, and offers up a very thin tan head as I pour it down the side of my pint glass. The head doesn't linger long. The aroma is malty and roasty, with only a slight hint of alcohol.

The flavor is all that one could want from an imperial stout. I would serve this beer to an emperor. A full mouth-feel, with chocolate, roastiness, maltiness, and a subtle but firm bitterness from the hops, this beer pleases on many levels. Very satisfying.

I think I'll have another.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company