Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

rspauldi, Jun 06, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -59.5%

Pours a deep brown with a giant head which is receding slowly but surely. The head is a light tan color, sticky in some places and quick to recede in others.

Smells super hoppy and oily. Barely getting any malt character at all on the nose. Getting dark malt scents now that i've let it breathe for a bit. Head is really really sticky in some spots. Not a bad looking brew.

Slight malty sweetness up front with touch a caramel but besides the mouthfeel, the rest of this beer tastes like a double ipa. Lots of oily and citric hops present on the back of the tongue along with a good amount of bitterness.

The hops actually lend to a good deal of the beers flavor, i'm getting grapefruit and even pineapple notes. Alot of flavors are present, but i dont think they all blend well at all.

Am I wrong for not wanting a hop bomb out of a stout?

jtierney89, Nov 15, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -57%

SpAiReArGsEonNE, May 20, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -57%

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -54.5%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

hopsbreath, Mar 05, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Very bitter, we were highly disappointed due to all the incredibly high ratings. Bought 12 and handed them out. No one in the office liked them. Don't believe the positive hype on this. This is a beer for IPA and other bitter beer drinkers. If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, avoid this.

HomrQT, May 03, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -51.4%

Had a very nice head that stayed until the last few drinks.

Had a very nice nutty coffee smell to it. Head was a dark milk chocolate look to it.

First taste had a very coffee hops bitter taste that gave a very hard kick to my taste buds, probably from the 9.1% alc. Every drink after that became much more bitter to where I couldn't almost finish the last few drinks.

Seemed very thin and had no point to the bitterness.

SterlingNass, Jun 19, 2010

NRo, May 29, 2014

olinwp, Jul 06, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is of hops and very thick, coffee-like malts.

Hoppy upfront with a dose of floral hops smacking the palate at first. This gives way to the aforementioned roasted, coffee malt that was on the nose. However, the malt is pushed aside by a burst of hop bitterness on the finish surprisingly...leaving the palate with a bit of grapefruit, astringent bitterness that slowly increases in intensity and hits the back of the throat. I must say I was expecting a beer that leaned more to the malts versus hops here and am somewhat surprised. Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than I thought for style.

The aftertaste, as was mentioned, is rather bitter...the sides of the tongue want to pucker for quite some time after the swallow. The malts, by that time, are a distant memory.

I just don't find this to be very drinkable at all. I wanted to chew the rich malts here...I wanted a thick, creamy mouthfeel abounding with malty goodness...and I just didn't get it. The bitter finish and aftertaste detract from drinkability and really, this isn't something I'd drink again.

NODAK, Jul 04, 2009

jk3, Feb 15, 2012

chooch5, Dec 17, 2013

bkaj21, Feb 17, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -47.7%

A: Black, 1/4 inch, no carbonation.

S: Floral notes are the dominant scent, with undertones of cinnamon spice and licorice.

T: It literally tasted like I ate rose petals, and then had my tongue and throat bruised by the strong knockout punch of hops. Hops linger forever.

M: Full bodied, creamy on the back end.

O: It tasted like I was drinking floral perfume, only to then get punched by Bernard HOPkins (get it?).

BoulderBarrovecchio, Feb 17, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

What does victory want me to do with this beer? put it in my engine perhaps and use it as oil? It smells and looks pretty darn good but after a few sips I never wanted to taste this again. I have never had a beer so undrinkable. Its a dark chocolate overtone with super hoppiness that hurts. I can't drink this, it was gross. I am disappointed in victory for this one.

beerhan, Jun 10, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends.

sterstar1, May 16, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by Jan 03 11.

A-Black as hell, 2 1/2" incredible light brown cappucino froth head. Tons of lacing. This beer looks fantastic.
S-Roasted malt aroma is so subtle it's barely there.
T-Unexpectedly smooth, unexpectedly flavorless. Alcohol flavor very present, above the coffee/chocolate type malts. I let this warm to room temp: same result.
M-This beer is totally flat. No carbonation. Thin mouthfeel with a sweetish, cloying, light syrup alcohol finish. Yet the head was so tremendous! Let it sit for 1/2 hour after I took it outta the fridge, too....A Russian Imperial Stout should not be watery like this....
D-Well, I drank it, cos I'm tough, but brother, the last inch was a chore...

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. What a let down, to say the least. Nothing Russian Imperial about this beer; I've had milk stouts with more oomph! Damn. Victory is a great brewery, so there is something wrong here. It pains me to slam one of their beers, so i'll have to resample in the near future...

soultrain, May 18, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -45.2%

pours darker than used motor oil. has a real nice two finger mocha head. i cant even begin to see through this beer. very faint hints of ruby brown around the edges when i hold it up to direct light.
smell is decent. malts, hops, pretty heavy on the alcohol. i also get scents of prunes.
not really thrilled by the taste. as heavy as the alcohol was on the nose it is ten fold in the taste. it doesn't seem like they are trying to hide the booze taste...at all. after i get the taste of the booze out of my mouth i get slight malts.
i am floored by this beer and not in a great way, i cant get past its flaws to see its good. really sad. i expected ALOT more. especially from the reviews its been getting. hopefully i just got a shitty bottle. but i dont think i will be visiting this beer again any time in the near future...at least not on my dime

Mauerhan, Sep 09, 2008

Victory- storm king stout

9.5% alc?! Isn't that a little high?!

Appearance- blacker than black. Midnight in a coal mine black. Hell, the head is darker than most beers alone.
Smell- roasted coffee, nuts, cocoa, and ash.
Taste- Ashy, coffee, sweet burnt wood. Alcohol is too strong.
Mouthfeel- damn that high alcohol what is this cough syrup?!

Overall- blahhh! Its too sweet and alcohol is too strong. A mediocre, at best, stout. I'll pour the rest down the drain!

***revisited*** 4/15/07

HAHA what 3 years will do! Clearly when I was a FNG my tastebuds weren't developed yet. My opinion has since changed immensely. Storm King is now 1 of my favorite Imperial Stouts!!

NJpadreFan, Jan 22, 2004

Stobin, Dec 15, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a ruby edge. A dark tan head fades to a persistent ring.

S- Smells of old tennis shoe, wet cardboard, and grapefruit/piney hops. Unfortunately missing is every typical aromatic attribute inherent to the style, and present are the undesired characteristics.

T- Dark over-roasted coffee, charred malt and harsh hops. The finish is bitter without a counterbalance of any kind. The char and bitter hops are all we have here, and that is not what comprises an enjoyable stout, in my opinion.

M, D- Medium bodied and bitter, too dry. Uninspired to finish it, I found it thus limited in drinkability. Lacking in balance, finess, and pleasure.

WhiteOak, Jan 22, 2011