Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros

1.65/5  rDev -59.4%

Pours a deep brown with a giant head which is receding slowly but surely. The head is a light tan color, sticky in some places and quick to recede in others.

Smells super hoppy and oily. Barely getting any malt character at all on the nose. Getting dark malt scents now that i've let it breathe for a bit. Head is really really sticky in some spots. Not a bad looking brew.

Slight malty sweetness up front with touch a caramel but besides the mouthfeel, the rest of this beer tastes like a double ipa. Lots of oily and citric hops present on the back of the tongue along with a good amount of bitterness.

The hops actually lend to a good deal of the beers flavor, i'm getting grapefruit and even pineapple notes. Alot of flavors are present, but i dont think they all blend well at all.

Am I wrong for not wanting a hop bomb out of a stout?

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

1.86/5  rDev -54.2%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

1.88/5  rDev -53.7%

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Very bitter, we were highly disappointed due to all the incredibly high ratings. Bought 12 and handed them out. No one in the office liked them. Don't believe the positive hype on this. This is a beer for IPA and other bitter beer drinkers. If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, avoid this.

2.04/5  rDev -49.8%

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is of hops and very thick, coffee-like malts.

Hoppy upfront with a dose of floral hops smacking the palate at first. This gives way to the aforementioned roasted, coffee malt that was on the nose. However, the malt is pushed aside by a burst of hop bitterness on the finish surprisingly...leaving the palate with a bit of grapefruit, astringent bitterness that slowly increases in intensity and hits the back of the throat. I must say I was expecting a beer that leaned more to the malts versus hops here and am somewhat surprised. Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than I thought for style.

The aftertaste, as was mentioned, is rather bitter...the sides of the tongue want to pucker for quite some time after the swallow. The malts, by that time, are a distant memory.

I just don't find this to be very drinkable at all. I wanted to chew the rich malts here...I wanted a thick, creamy mouthfeel abounding with malty goodness...and I just didn't get it. The bitter finish and aftertaste detract from drinkability and really, this isn't something I'd drink again.

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Had a very nice head that stayed until the last few drinks.

Had a very nice nutty coffee smell to it. Head was a dark milk chocolate look to it.

First taste had a very coffee hops bitter taste that gave a very hard kick to my taste buds, probably from the 9.1% alc. Every drink after that became much more bitter to where I couldn't almost finish the last few drinks.

Seemed very thin and had no point to the bitterness.

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

A: Black, 1/4 inch, no carbonation.

S: Floral notes are the dominant scent, with undertones of cinnamon spice and licorice.

T: It literally tasted like I ate rose petals, and then had my tongue and throat bruised by the strong knockout punch of hops. Hops linger forever.

M: Full bodied, creamy on the back end.

O: It tasted like I was drinking floral perfume, only to then get punched by Bernard HOPkins (get it?).

2.21/5  rDev -45.6%

What does victory want me to do with this beer? put it in my engine perhaps and use it as oil? It smells and looks pretty darn good but after a few sips I never wanted to taste this again. I have never had a beer so undrinkable. Its a dark chocolate overtone with super hoppiness that hurts. I can't drink this, it was gross. I am disappointed in victory for this one.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by Jan 03 11.

A-Black as hell, 2 1/2" incredible light brown cappucino froth head. Tons of lacing. This beer looks fantastic.
S-Roasted malt aroma is so subtle it's barely there.
T-Unexpectedly smooth, unexpectedly flavorless. Alcohol flavor very present, above the coffee/chocolate type malts. I let this warm to room temp: same result.
M-This beer is totally flat. No carbonation. Thin mouthfeel with a sweetish, cloying, light syrup alcohol finish. Yet the head was so tremendous! Let it sit for 1/2 hour after I took it outta the fridge, too....A Russian Imperial Stout should not be watery like this....
D-Well, I drank it, cos I'm tough, but brother, the last inch was a chore...

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. What a let down, to say the least. Nothing Russian Imperial about this beer; I've had milk stouts with more oomph! Damn. Victory is a great brewery, so there is something wrong here. It pains me to slam one of their beers, so i'll have to resample in the near future...

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company