Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is of hops and very thick, coffee-like malts.

Hoppy upfront with a dose of floral hops smacking the palate at first. This gives way to the aforementioned roasted, coffee malt that was on the nose. However, the malt is pushed aside by a burst of hop bitterness on the finish surprisingly...leaving the palate with a bit of grapefruit, astringent bitterness that slowly increases in intensity and hits the back of the throat. I must say I was expecting a beer that leaned more to the malts versus hops here and am somewhat surprised. Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than I thought for style.

The aftertaste, as was mentioned, is rather bitter...the sides of the tongue want to pucker for quite some time after the swallow. The malts, by that time, are a distant memory.

I just don't find this to be very drinkable at all. I wanted to chew the rich malts here...I wanted a thick, creamy mouthfeel abounding with malty goodness...and I just didn't get it. The bitter finish and aftertaste detract from drinkability and really, this isn't something I'd drink again.

2.04/5  rDev -49.9%

2.13/5  rDev -47.7%

A: Black, 1/4 inch, no carbonation.

S: Floral notes are the dominant scent, with undertones of cinnamon spice and licorice.

T: It literally tasted like I ate rose petals, and then had my tongue and throat bruised by the strong knockout punch of hops. Hops linger forever.

M: Full bodied, creamy on the back end.

O: It tasted like I was drinking floral perfume, only to then get punched by Bernard HOPkins (get it?).

2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

What does victory want me to do with this beer? put it in my engine perhaps and use it as oil? It smells and looks pretty darn good but after a few sips I never wanted to taste this again. I have never had a beer so undrinkable. Its a dark chocolate overtone with super hoppiness that hurts. I can't drink this, it was gross. I am disappointed in victory for this one.

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends.

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by Jan 03 11.

A-Black as hell, 2 1/2" incredible light brown cappucino froth head. Tons of lacing. This beer looks fantastic.
S-Roasted malt aroma is so subtle it's barely there.
T-Unexpectedly smooth, unexpectedly flavorless. Alcohol flavor very present, above the coffee/chocolate type malts. I let this warm to room temp: same result.
M-This beer is totally flat. No carbonation. Thin mouthfeel with a sweetish, cloying, light syrup alcohol finish. Yet the head was so tremendous! Let it sit for 1/2 hour after I took it outta the fridge, too....A Russian Imperial Stout should not be watery like this....
D-Well, I drank it, cos I'm tough, but brother, the last inch was a chore...

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. What a let down, to say the least. Nothing Russian Imperial about this beer; I've had milk stouts with more oomph! Damn. Victory is a great brewery, so there is something wrong here. It pains me to slam one of their beers, so i'll have to resample in the near future...

2.23/5  rDev -45.2%

pours darker than used motor oil. has a real nice two finger mocha head. i cant even begin to see through this beer. very faint hints of ruby brown around the edges when i hold it up to direct light.
smell is decent. malts, hops, pretty heavy on the alcohol. i also get scents of prunes.
not really thrilled by the taste. as heavy as the alcohol was on the nose it is ten fold in the taste. it doesn't seem like they are trying to hide the booze taste...at all. after i get the taste of the booze out of my mouth i get slight malts.
i am floored by this beer and not in a great way, i cant get past its flaws to see its good. really sad. i expected ALOT more. especially from the reviews its been getting. hopefully i just got a shitty bottle. but i dont think i will be visiting this beer again any time in the near future...at least not on my dime

Victory- storm king stout

9.5% alc?! Isn't that a little high?!

Appearance- blacker than black. Midnight in a coal mine black. Hell, the head is darker than most beers alone.
Smell- roasted coffee, nuts, cocoa, and ash.
Taste- Ashy, coffee, sweet burnt wood. Alcohol is too strong.
Mouthfeel- damn that high alcohol what is this cough syrup?!

Overall- blahhh! Its too sweet and alcohol is too strong. A mediocre, at best, stout. I'll pour the rest down the drain!

***revisited*** 4/15/07

HAHA what 3 years will do! Clearly when I was a FNG my tastebuds weren't developed yet. My opinion has since changed immensely. Storm King is now 1 of my favorite Imperial Stouts!!

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a ruby edge. A dark tan head fades to a persistent ring.

S- Smells of old tennis shoe, wet cardboard, and grapefruit/piney hops. Unfortunately missing is every typical aromatic attribute inherent to the style, and present are the undesired characteristics.

T- Dark over-roasted coffee, charred malt and harsh hops. The finish is bitter without a counterbalance of any kind. The char and bitter hops are all we have here, and that is not what comprises an enjoyable stout, in my opinion.

M, D- Medium bodied and bitter, too dry. Uninspired to finish it, I found it thus limited in drinkability. Lacking in balance, finess, and pleasure.

2.28/5  rDev -44%

Appearance: Black with a quarter-inch chocolate-colored head.

Taste and smell: Malty and roasted, espresso, brown sugar, surprising hop kick in the finish. Pretty acrid and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Not as chewy as other Imperial Stouts; somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this beer, it's rather acrid. I recall it being enjoyable a couple years ago, but I can't say that I like it anymore.

2.29/5  rDev -43.7%

This brew pours a black color with light reddish-brown highlights when held up to the light. There is a 1.5 finger mocha head which dissipates fairly quickly although some of it remains on the top until the end; very light lacing.

This brew smell like old socks. There is a light roasted malt smell along with a very faint coffee and nut smell but the old socks smell dominates; perhaps I got a skunked batch.

The taste is as lame as the smell, there is an old socks/musty taste along with some roasted malt and burnt coffee. There is the tiniest bit of chocolate taste in mix. No real discernible hop taste.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy but that does not save the brew.

Overall this might not be bad if not for the horrible smell. I will try this brew again at another time just in case I got a bad/skunked bottle.

2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Purchased a six-pack to try a new style. I had sampled a small amount of Great Divide's Yeti in the middle of several other Great Divide offerings, but that's my only other Imperial Stout Experience.

I guess I was expecting something more complex and was disappointed that the 9+% ABV was so obvious. The look of Storm King on pouring was nice and fit my expectations for the style, but it was basically downhill from there. The smell has some bright hops, fruit and roasted malt notes, but the dominant aroma is alcohol. The alcohol is even more dominant in the taste, giving Storm King an unpleasant, astringent bitterness that overshadows the other elements in the brew.

As a result, this is not a very drinkable beer and I will probably steer clear of it and other Victory offerings for a while.

2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

I'm sorry, but I think this beer smells like poo. The aroma is sweaty and sour and unappealing. With that said, the flavor overwhelms that aspect and somewhat recovers it. Storm King's smokey, belly-warming flavor is pleasant for a few sips, especially considering it's high abv and heavy-handed hopping. The pallet is graced with a few good flavors, such as burnt coffee, smoked meat, but there is a serious soapy off-flavor present which taints the whole experience.

The flavors all seem to fight for top spot on your palate instead of work together to give you a well-rounded experience, which is that is exactly what you need from a robust, boozy imperial stout. I probably will not purchase this beer again unless I'm craving an imperial stout and I'm broke and it's on-sale.

2.33/5  rDev -42.8%

My first BA review will be a short one. I love thick full bodied beers. Bell's Exhibition Stout, Paulaner Salvator & Founder's Breakfast Stout come to mind. But this one is just far too bitter too be enjoyed. A want to support my local brewery, but looks like I'll have to stick to Victory's Old Horizontal.

2.35/5  rDev -42.3%