Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,557 | Hads: 5,544
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Here in Michigan we have many world class imperial stouts, and storm king seems to fly under the radar on our shelves. I decided to pick it up finally, and I could not have been more surprised. Not complex at all. Straight forward, simple, tasty, RIS. The only thing I could ask to be improved is the aroma. (307 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Beer is looking sexy as hell in this goblet. poured really nice jet black with a creamy light brown head...1/2 inch about. As you drink it leaves moderate spotty lacing too.

The smell is very interesting....has all the characteristics of a stout while also hinting that it could be a black IPA type style as well because of all the earthy and floral/grapefruit hops kind of pushing through...dominant smell are dark fruits...espresso..coffee..bitter dark chocolate....lets taste the storm king.

damn this is good!!!...for an imperial stout this is dangerously smooth for a 9.1 abv...i mean DANGEROUS haha. you get those big chocolate and coffee flavors....but coming into play is a mild floral hop presence, kind of bringing all of the flavors together; this beer is super solid.

has a very creamy like mouth feel and is pretty well carbonated.....

All in all if you're into stouts.... but "imperial" stouts tend to scare you away because you're afraid of it being a "booze bomb" or too overwhelming...do not fear this brew...this is a killer beer...big stouty notes.....hop notes evening the strong coffee and chocolate flavors out..and drinks real smooth. if you see this and haven't had it....give this a try...and if you're an IPA hop -head like myself, I really think you will appreciate this beer for what it is. (1,326 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -42%

Cellared a 2013 Storm King for a year and cracked it open today. Bad idea. No head what so ever, no lacing and no hop presence. Maybe I shouldn't fault this beer because I didn't drink it fresh but it was not great at all. The alcohol was very pungent in the nose as it was in the taste. The only thing I enjoyed about this beer was the burnt espresso char that was evident upon the first few sips. This reminded more of a porter was I am splitting hairs there.

Overall I should try it fresh. To give it a fair chance but I can't recommend this to imperial stout fans. (570 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Coal black color, with a decent beige-brown head.

Coffee bean defined nose, with sweeter malts and hints of floral hops.

Tastes of chocolate, followed by coffee and metallic hints, due to a surprisingly high carbonation, which reveals tobacco and earth in the finish. Smooth, slightly fizzy, creamy mouthfeel, medium-bodied beer. Taste converts from warm chocolate notes to a bitter, slightly aggressive coffee bitterness with bitter, floral hops. A bready malt-backbone adds complexity and saves the balance of this beer. The aftertaste is slick coffee bitterness with a hot stinging peak on the tongue and throat, which stays remarkably long. Well balanced, with an intriguing complexity, still pretty straight-forward heading towards the bitterness. (756 characters)

Nice dark rich black color. Bitter at first taste with strong coffee and mellow chocolate notes. Not my fav...not the least fav, either. ABV good for a nice slow drink. Better warm than chilled. (198 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It got good marks in the "You gotta try this" section of Zymurgy and I had to try it.

A - Rich black color. Pours nicely with light khaki colored creamy head with light lacing.

S - Lots of hops at the beginning which is not the most stylistic but I really enjoy it. After warming the malt, roasted, and chocolate tones become more noticeable. Could be some sort of oxidation or alcohol but extremely faint and very much masked by the hops.

T - Lots of delicious flavor having nice robust character with a malty, roasty, chocolaty, and some sweetness but the hops stand tall. Probably the most hops in an imperial stout that I've ever experience. The bitterness from the hops is definitely present but not overpowering.

M - Full mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Not an oil slick but not a light feeling beer and a nice bitterness that makes it a great beer for occasional drinking.

Overall, this imperial stout is really good. I enjoy the hop backbone that isn't typical of RIS's. It isn't as heavy as some RIS's either but is a very tasty brew. It's not quite a black IPA but it is enough hop to make you wonder if it still fits in the Imperial stout category. Though this isn't my favorite stout it is one that I'll seek out from time to time just so I can appease my inner hop-head and still get a stout impression.

Glass- Snifter (1,347 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

A. Easy poor ½ inch thick tan head that is thick and sticky like foam insulation. Little carbonation. Color is black. Looks delicious.
S. Toffee, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, sweet.
T. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, sweet toffee, and like the bottle suggests floral notes. Alcohol is noticeable.
M. Crisp, very light syrup.
O. This beer is like an RIS little brother. The taste has all the flavor of an imperial stout but lacks in thick mouth feel. However, Storm King packs one hell of a buzz for only 9.1%. I definitely recommend for imperial stout lovers. (565 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer, it's just not a great stout. It pours an inky black but has more hops flavor than I expected. There's a bit of stout aftertaste but the bitterness come through more. I'll buy this again but if I'm in the mood for a stout, I'll look elsewhere. This is probably a very good imperial stout, I may have just misunderstood the genre. (369 characters)

Intense, roasty, chocolatey. Big hop aroma. Slightly warming as it goes down. Would really like to taste one of these after it sits for a year or two. A real winner. (165 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle with an enjoy by date of 11/15/2014; into a pub glass.
Appearance - black from top to bottom, until the very bottom of the glass, where a dark crimson hue is noticeable. Medium layer of foamy, khaki head leaves a beige curtain of lacing down the glass!
Smell - dark chocolate, caramel, cream and slow roasted coffee.
Taste - an assortment of flavors; bitter dark chocolate, robust coffee, and a subtle touch of caramel!
Feel - creamy, medium to heavy body; spectacular blend of roasted malts and bitter hops!
Overall - the much appreciated hop presence to this brew leads me to seek this one out. Reminds me a lot of Sierra Nevada's Narwhal and even compares to some heavier black ales! (707 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Storm King Stout by Victory Brewing is like a sultry siren. She coaxes you from your littoral home with hoppy succulence, then drags you into the abyss with a dusky, violating tentacle of bitter cocoa. Struggling and unshackled, you reach a derelict skiff of delicious malt and bask in sweet salvation.

Overall, an exciting and satisfying trip. (346 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very hoppy aroma for an imperial stout. There are roasty notes in the taste but with the hops still present. Bordering on an imperial black IPA. Very nice. (155 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a glass. Victory distribution finally has hit Las Vegas. Anxious to try this.

Appearance: finger of dark brown head, dissipates quickly, black, opaque. It's an imp stout....standard stuff

Smell: baker's chocolate, cocoa powder, bitter dark chocolate, little bit of hops (floral).

Taste: lot of roastiness, dark chocolate, black licorice, burnt espresso, huge amount of bitterness in the finish that lingers on the tongue and back of mouth. There is no creaminess or unusual flavors. The front and middle is fine but the finish is so overpoweringly bitter that it ruins the beer.

Mouthfeel: oddly thin for such a big 9.1% beer. Carbonation higher than usual for a stout.

Overall: sorry to say another disappointment from Victory. Not understanding the hype for this beer or the brewery. This is a fairly one note wonder with that note being a pungent, acrid taste that stays in your mouth violating it far too long. (954 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark black in color and impenetrable to light. A fingernail thin khaki colored head sits on top. Light Brussels lacing. There is a light aroma of black licorice and roasted barley. This is a bit more on the sweeter end of the stout spectrum. The front of the palate is black licorice and roasted barley. The back of the palate is a blend of bitter roasted barley and piney hops. The mouth is thick and sticky.
Appearance: 4
Aroma:4.25
Taste: 4
Mouthfeel: 3.75
Overall:4 (479 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

A. black in color midnight black . nice light brown head fairly impressive head for a 9.1 ABV..
S, sweet , some hops , malt , coffee , bitter chocolate.
T. close to perfect. no idea why this beer is not rated higher as it is the perfect all American RIS. has everything I look for in a RIS and the best lacing I ever seen in a RIS . Victory gets an A+ on taste and face it , that is the main reson we drink the stuff :)
M. medium and sticky , oily and coats the mouth.
D. I keep this beer as well as old Rasputin in my rotation at all times.
if you see it , buy it drink it review it ... (590 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Completely black and opaque, reasonably creamy head with good retention (3/3)
S: Dark chocolate, maybe even coffee, ALCOHOL, with light raisin throughout (10/12)
T: BOOZEY, 100% dark cocoa on front end, heavy malt character, with malty finish, can detect raisin especially in aftertaste, but holy crap does that alcohol dominate…burns a little, then maybe a little metallic when getting ready for next sip (13/20)
F: Very bubbly in front, creamy in middle, very dry finish (5/5)
O: Wow…at 9.1%, these guys aren’t kidding around. The flavor profile definitely rounded out after the first few overwhelming sips but after having Samuel Smith and Rasputin and not being overwhelmed, I feel like it doesn’t need to taste this strong. (6/10)
36/50 (755 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Good looking beer. Dark brown body, light beige head. Legs are slick, froth is dense. Stout smell, overpowered by soy sauce. Dirtwolf out of a bottle also has that soy sauce smell and taste. I only like soy sauce on my rice and sushi. The taste is also of soy sauce, but some of the other traditional stout tastes make me forget about the soy sauce in my beer. Really, the taste is of light roast, mocha, vanilla, and soy sauce. The mouthfeel of this stout is mediocre. Nothing to write home about.

For me, overall, this is a standard stout. Not bad. (562 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a deep, dark brown with a huge chocolatey brown foam head. Good lacing. Aroma is immediately noticeable -- huge roasted chocolate and coffee malts with licorice. Taste leads with dark fruits, and a bit of booze. One of the hoppier Stouts I’ve had. Chocolate and coffee malts aren’t quite as strong as in the aroma. Not the strongest Stout you’ll find, but a pleasant taste and easy to drink. This is an easy drinking Stout. Strongly recommended. (457 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

L: pours black with a small tan head, a typical RIS.

S: lots of hops, with dark chocolate, coffee, and alcohol.

T: dark chocolate, some coffee, and lots of hop bitterness. It's more bitter than typical imperial stouts. The Storm King goes very well with vanilla ice cream. You can even combine them, and it's great!

M: thick, like an RIS should be, and somewhat explosive from the hops, though still pretty smooth.

O: a solid imperial stout. Not one of the greats, but nearly so, and much more affordable. Here in South Carolina, the Storm King runs at about just $8 a 4-pack, pretty cheap compared to other RISs, which usually are between $10 - $11. (655 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is almost like a black ipa. All I got was hops on the nose. Non of the notes you would expect from an Imperial stout. The same thing with the taste. (153 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle from Brewdog's Online Shop (£3.80):
Black with a 0.5cm brown lacing & good retention for the abv. The head even looks slightly creamy.

Medium roasted malts with sweetness & chocolate as well. Coffee, dark, ripe fruits & a dark malt bitterness come through with a few hops. Nice, complex with a good balance & most of the alcohol hidden.

Coffee & a chocolate sweetness. Strong dark malts taste very faint alcohol. Dark fruit start & some hops plus some good roasted flavours.

Smooth, creamy with the alcohol pretty well hidden. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Easy to drink, frighteningly so with some bitterness & a dry finish.

A good imperial stout with a pleasantly sweet taste & a good combination of chocolate &coffee initially. The hops were a great addition & it proved easier to drink than a 9% abv. beer should have done with the alcohol well hidden for the most part. Great stuff this one. (922 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

As I popped the top and gathered the aroma, I was excited to experience this brew by Victory. According to the brews that I had listed, I was advised I would appreciate this suggestion. Watching the wonderfully viscus, onyx in appearance, liquid flow into my glass, I felt that I was in for a real treat. I watched in anticipation as the head developed into a beautiful caramel in color froth. Next, I brought my glass to my lips, fully expecting the chocolate/coffee notes that the brewery assured me of on the label, and that's where things went south. I chalk up what happened next to my inexperience with stouts because I was overwhelmed with one taste... espresso, BLACK ESPRESSO! The next thing I could taste was alcohol, which left me with a rather sour experience. If high grav stouts are your thing, then I guess this might be right up your ally, but for this "Aspirant," I will have to go back to the drawing board. I might come back to this beer at a later date to give it another shot as my palate evolves, but at this stage... I think I will move on. (1,063 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Pitch black with a light brown head

A - Coffee, Sweet, and malty

T - The taste isn't as sweet as the smell but isn't bitter. Taste coffee, dark chocolate, with a hoppy finish. The alcohol isn't noticeable which is surprising.

M- medium mouthfeel compared to most stouts, but heavy for a non stout drinker. really smooth however.

Overall this is a good stout, not the best I've had from Victory, but they still prove to be a solid brewery. (448 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

a. Dark brown/black on the pour. less than a finger of tan head when poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

s. Sweet smell, malt heavy.

t. Sweet side of stouts. Alcohol hidden well for an imperial. Malt.

m. Excellent - not dry. Nice balance.

o. Very very good stout. (277 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a beer!
Great looking and tasting dark beer.
A lot of Victory's are fantastic and there are, literally, 1000's upon 1000's of reviews on each one so my review and all others are sort of lost but I'd like my 2 cents on record for what I deem the best of the lot. Being from Philly, there are a lot of Victory's everywhere. The best place is the Victory Beer Garden down where the Spectrum used to be. It is an amazing place with what seem to be, dozens of the big "V", tap handles along an enormous bar.
I've had this beer there too.
It has a kick to it and has a large, magnificent coffe-ish colored head.
When I pour from the bottle I use a Duval Tulip glass and the head fills the upper end of the 22 oz glass. Quite impressive.
Heck...
I'm going out and get another one right now. (788 characters)

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company