Whirlwind Witbier - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whirlwind Witbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 894 | Reviews: 541
2.97/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear yellow with a white head that settled some but came back with a swirl of the glass.

S - lemon zest aroma.

T - light malted wheat with a citrusy finish.

M - light body, mild cabonation.

D - ok drinkability.

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

Having never been a fan of wheat beers, but having always been a fan of Victory beers, I figured that if I was going to learn to appreciate this style, then this brewer would be the one to show me how. Although I am still not enlightened as to the delights of wheat beers, I have to say that Victory seems to have nailed this style. The color was a deep golden yellow, with cloudiness that prevents seeing through the glass. The head is bright white and lingers for a little while. The aroma is strong, reminiscent of a belgian ale. The flavor attacks the senses immediately, and delivers that big round taste that envelops the tongue. There are hints of citrus and pine, no hop to speak of. It's a big flavor, just not one that I can gravitate toward. Victory seems to have done a masterful job with this style, but I can't seem to get through the entire glass.

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

I really like some of Victory's beers. Prima Pils is one of my favorite pilseners. Old Horizontal is a top notch barleywine. With this in mind, Whirlwind Wit, now distributed on the West Coast, is a major disappointment.

It looks and smell fine enough. Aroma-wise, perhaps a bit more coriander and spice than I like in my wits but there's a clove smell than ties it somewhat together. Taste is but maltier than expected. The wheat is cllovey but it has a smokiness that is altogether non-witbier. Even if it's not awful - the strange flavors lower the drinkability.

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Just picked this one up today, been looking forward to trying some beer from Victory, this is my first.

Pours a pale yellow color, slight haze, not as much as other witbiers that I've had.

At first smell, it smells like ham. Wierd smell to get from a beer. I pick up some floral notes, but not a lot.

Taste: Very mild flavor, not the most flavor I have gotten from a Witbier. I pick up some banana and floral tastes in it, does not have much malty or hoppy taste, but I wasn't expecting that.

Overall an easily drinkable beer. I will finish the six pack that I bought, but probably won't buy another. I have had many better beers of this style.

2.92/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at Wilbur's Liquors in Ft Collins as part of a mixed 6 Pack.

This pours from 12oz bottle(Best by Apr 30 08) a cloudy yellow with a small head of foam. Not much is left after a few minutes other than a ring around the edge of my glass and some lacing.

The smell is of yeast and citrus and wheat and clove and banana. It's not a bit shy on the nose. ;^)

The taste is big and citrusy up front with flavours of clove and some banana but it all works up front only..the flavours fall off quickly midway through and it finishes really watery. If at least some of the flavour lasted, I'd have liked it more. Pretty disappointing for me and I'll not revisit this brew.

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

"Best enjoyed before Oct. 14 06"

Poured a hazy gold with a thin white head that quickly disappeared.
The smell was a bit musty - some subtle spices are in the background, as is the yeast.
Clove and a touch of other spices are present, but are taken over somewhat by a mildewy yeast. A slight touch of hops is noticeable.
It was a bit too thin - watery. Leaves a cleaner, and more refreshing, feel than I had expected considering the taste and smell.
Overall, it's not terrible by any means, but it's disappointing nevertheless. It's not a very good example of the style.

2.89/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours ugly yellow with no head, lots of sediment.

Light citrus, the usual suspects - belgian yeast, spice and fruits albeit died down.

Astringent, plenty of spice and subtle fruits. Dulled lemon flavor and sedimentiness. Watery.

Dry, muted finish

Not too refreshing for a witbier, didn't really like this one.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

I had this on draught a few weeks ago at the Taco Mac on E/W Connector, but wanted to have a go at it in a bottle. I must say, it is quite different. Appearance is much more on par with style guidelines from the bottle, with a pale yellow, cloudy look remenicent of Hoegaarden or Wittekerke. Smell on draught was very *average*, while smell from the bottle seemed a bit richer, and thus, a little more impressive. Taste on draught is very good with loads of spice and delicious flavours. Taste in the bottle was muted spices and seems a bit thinner. Mouthfeel in the bottle seemed a bit less impressive than draught, as well, and likewise, drinkability. I enjoied this for sure, and would probably buy it again, but it's a bit better on draught.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Appears cloudy yellow gold color with a weak quickly dissipating head.

Smells like some very sweet malts. Not much smell overall.

Tastes like cotton candy, this beer is very sweet. There is a bit of a honey taste in with the malts. No hop bitterness detected.

Feels a bit light and under carbonated. I would not drink more than a few of these.

What happened Victory? first the pils then this one.... hmmmm, maybe there is some funk in the brewery that bothers me...

Victory- Whirlwind

Appearance- cloudy light yellow with very little soapy white head.
Smell- strong clove aroma, not much else.
Taste- Strong clove and rose hips/ flowers?! No banana not alot going on in here.
Mouthfeel- slighty tart but easy to gulp down.

Overall- nothing special here. Has a nice tart flavor.

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a cloudy, pale gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of lemon, slight tart malt, hint of hops, and slight sweet malt. Barely fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with a high carbonation level. The feel is also slightly watery. Tastes of lemon, pale malt, slight sweet malt, and a hint of hops. Overall, more reminiscent of a Weissbier than a Witbier.

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

not a fan of the style at all, having tried Hoeegarden and Allagash I tried this figuring I will find one that satisfies, this did not satisfy at all. mouthful disappeared 1/4 of the way through and basically had no finish.....of the beers I enjoy I need an aftertaste.....others in my group had similar concerns.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Not one of Victory's stronger offerings.

Whirlwind is anything but. It's a very basic witbier with not much in the spice/fruit tones. The alcohol is the dominant flavor here. It's not an awful beer by any means, but it's definitely a 'safe' offering. Nothing to write home about.

Pours with a whispy white head -true to the style but not as hazy as I'd like, and the viscocity and lacing leave a bit to be desired.

Smell is faint lemon/sugar. Taste is tart lemon/alcohol heat. Not much spice in this... both the intial taste and aftertaste/belches come off as near sprite-ish... Maybe it's better on tap, but I'm not too crazy about this...

I bought 7 bottles of beer. 2 bottles of this. That 2nd bottle will be sitting around for a while.

2.79/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours out to a milky pale blond, barely able to muster a small white head with poor retention and sparse lacing. Not the best looking witbier around. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is wonderful and has the same yeast strain appeal as Golden Monkey with a brisk and large nose full of orange peel and coriander, apple and banana esters. Mouthfeel is crisp with a light to medium body. The taste begins with a lemony citric note which is brief and quickly is covered up by oxidation and bitterness in the middle. There is an interesting bitterness which combines with a suggestion of lime, akin to Kaffir Lime Leave which I get in my Thai dishes. This is unfortunately marred by a ruddy aftertaste like wet cardboard. Belches of licorice root or anise? Bizarre.

Not one of my favorite Wits. I was expecting much more from Victory, who brew some wonderful beers. Bizarre, odd flavors throughout and probably tainted by oxidation. Needs cleaned up with some more sweetness. Just not tasting good to me. For what it's worth, I bought a 6'er of this and took 5 bottles of it back to swap for some odd-n-ends singles.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a gold color with a think white head which quickly dissipates. No lacing at all. Smell was clovelike with some yeasty notes. Taste was weak. Very faint clove like flavors and not much else. Very water-downed and light-bodied. Easy to drink but not much else going on. Expected more.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

BEER NUMBER 100! Belgian wheats aren't my thing. I wait until I'm really drunk to drink it so I don't taste the nastiness. Those and saisons. I'm more DIPA and Stouts. But then why drink this if you don't like it you say? Because it's beer and it was in their summer variety pack, that's why. But their variety pack was underwhelming for Victory standards. GO Bills!!

2.69/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours a transparent light honey color with small fleeting head. Weak artificial vanilla extract aroma makes me turn away. Feeble taste of light floral, stale vanilla, and watered-down hops. Drinkable but not enjoyable, i prefer a thicker and richer wheat beer. There's no personality here and no richness of flavors.

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Straw hue. Cloudy and opaque - hazy. No head whatsoever. Visible effervescence.

S: Creamy sweet vanilla aroma with a citrusy lemon scent and some coriander. Malt aroma pokes through. Very floral and sweet. Missing spicy notes.

T: A very disappointing taste. Dry tart finish is the only flavor characteristic that makes this taste like a witbier. No underscoring sweetness. No spicy flavors. Orange/citrus flavor is flat, weak, and funky.

MF: Medium body. Highly carbonated. Creamy from high carbonation.

D: This is a disappointing offering from Victory, which is one of my favorite breweries. It's missing most of the good things about a witbier. Not particularly drinkable.

2.62/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz brown bottle with a crimped-on cap.

Very pale,hazy,straw color with a tall creamy white head falls a bit quickly to a coating. The carbination the same livey at first,but dies down quickly never looks flat at all though.

Delicate aromas mostly clove,some bannana with spicy yeast character.

Lots of clove in the taste,very grassy with some spice and yeast tastes. Tastes like a clove flavored water,just a bit light on taste for me.

Very light watery mouthfeel,almost like drinking water. Lacks taste to be drinkable for me. Not offensive in any way,just nothing to keep me interested. Would be a good starter beer for the ladies.

2.62/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours yellow and a bit cloudy. this is a white beer with a kick. i did not have this with lemon to tone it down, and it was just not for me. i am not a huge white beer fan, but the hacker-pschorr was much better

2.49/5  rDev -32.5%

This is the oddest review I have posted. I am a big witbier fan, and also really enjoy Victory. I picked up a split 6 pack at Victory, and this was the 1st one I tried. I had to have a 2nd to confirm my initial thoughts.

Poured a cloudy, murky, dull pale gold with a quickly disappating 1/4" head of loose white clinging foam.

The nose is usually the best aspect of most wibiers. But this one..odd..familiar...lite sweetness...what is that? No. It can't be. Sniff again. Its...cured lunch meat...bologna to be specific. Whoa..

OK, so the nose is freaked, how about the taste? Unusually soft, some spice, light citrus, little peppery on the pallete, no...wait...not again....oh my God ....bologna! This is unreal. For what its worth it finished crisp.

This had to be a bad batch, If someone at Victory is reading this, please tell me some young brewdude screwed up a batch. You couldn't possibly have released this intentionally. I tried 2 bottles, and this is one of the worst tasting beers I have tried yet. Anyone want 4 Whirlywinds?

2.43/5  rDev -34.1%

it poured light pale yellow almost white nice fluffy head stuck around

the smell was a little to much lemon even for this style, it had a funk that came up as I put the glass to my nose.

the taste was a stale wheat flavor with lite lemon flavor and an almost watered down aftertaste

not one of my favorites

2.33/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours out clear straw color with no head at all. Lots of yeast sediment that stay suspended in the beer.

Smells like wheat, and artificial lemon flavoring.

The feel was very watery and somewhat flat. Overpowering lemon flavor with a note of celery. A little malt flavor and no hops to speak of.

This beer gets points for drinkability, because it was quenching and went down easy, but not very interesting, and not much dimension of flavor. I expected more from Victory since Hop Wollup is one of my new favorites.

2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

Clear, light lemon peel yellow with minimal white head. Smells strongly of lemon. Sweet lemon zest and tart lemon with moldy belgian yeast and a bit of clove. I have to be honest this beer smells terrrible. The taste is only slightly better: light lemon-lime soft drink flavoring to go along a bit of wheat and yeast (not the same as the foul smelling stuff from the nose thank goodness), and a bit of spice to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, lacking the significant carbonation characterized by the style. Have to be honest; I was not expecting it but this was one of the worst beers I've had in a while. I hope for Victory's sake I simply got a bad bottle.

2.19/5  rDev -40.7%

Sorry, not my kind of brew....the lemmony taste is interesting but the cloudiness of this product is not appealing. Lingering after taste, almost bitter sweet leaves me wanting something else to cut the taste. Medium body with ample carbonation.

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company