Whirlwind Witbier - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whirlwind Witbier Alström Bros
1.44/5  rDev -61.3%

WTF did they do to this beer? This is the first time I tried it since they put in the new brewhouse and I'm not impressed. This used to be a wonderfully drinkable beer with orange and subtle spice flavors that made it quite refreshing. Now its just overloaded with phenolics and all you can taste and smell is cloves. I can't get past the phenolic flavors enough to even finish a bottle. Just horrible. Hopefully this is just temporary and they can get it back to where it used to be. (484 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -48.7%

Fan of Victory so I thought Id try this

A: Pours a deep yellow color with a lot of carbonation and a small, white head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass

S: First smell I get is of the wheat and cloves, but the more I smell, the more it reminds me of a bologna sandwhich. I hope it doesnt taste like this

T: I should of known, it does taste exactly like bologna, which I do not like. There were no subtle flavors to tone it down either and I had a tough time finishing it. Watery bologna sandwhich is the perfect explanation for this one

M: Carbonation is nice and it is quite crisp

D: Not drinkable at all

I had trouble finishing this one, good thing I had a Miller Lite to wash it down. Miserable beer. I am very disappointed with Victory for this one. DONT BUY!! (783 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -44.4%

Needless to say, I was not very impressed with this beer. In fact, I found it to be rather offensive. I'm not a huge fan of witbiers, but every one I've had has been better than this. Fizzy white head that dies after a few seconds, even with a strong pour. No lacing. Clear golden color. Coriander and cloves in the nose..can't really pick up anything else. As far as taste goes..in my opinion, the coriander and spices are way overdone, but then again, that's my personal taste. Nothing stood out for me and I didn't find any aspect of the beer particularly exciting. I feel bad giving such a great brewery a bad review...it's hard for me to believe Hopdevil is related to this brew. (684 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -43.8%

Light yellow cloudy beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma is disgusting,it actually smeels like mustard.Taste is nutmeg and lemon...yuck.I am a fan of Victory products but this is just plain unenjoyable.I will label this as one step below garbage.Yuck. (252 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -43%

**Not sure if this one is infected but this is the weirdest tasting beer I have ever had**

A - Pale straw yellow with a thin white ring head.

S - Strong Oscar Mayer hot dog aroma with a hint of banana and clove.

T - Like drinking pureed hot dogs (not that I have ever had that). It tastes like a liquid hot dog. The hot dog drowns out any other flavors that might be there.

M - Light and crisp. Very nice for a wit.

D - Based on other reviews I have to imagine I got a bad bottle but I did have several other people sample this one and they all agreed. Another person came up with bologna. Liquid hot dogs or bologna are very unpleasant. (652 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -41.1%

Sorry, not my kind of brew....the lemmony taste is interesting but the cloudiness of this product is not appealing. Lingering after taste, almost bitter sweet leaves me wanting something else to cut the taste. Medium body with ample carbonation. (245 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -40.1%

Clear, light lemon peel yellow with minimal white head. Smells strongly of lemon. Sweet lemon zest and tart lemon with moldy belgian yeast and a bit of clove. I have to be honest this beer smells terrrible. The taste is only slightly better: light lemon-lime soft drink flavoring to go along a bit of wheat and yeast (not the same as the foul smelling stuff from the nose thank goodness), and a bit of spice to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, lacking the significant carbonation characterized by the style. Have to be honest; I was not expecting it but this was one of the worst beers I've had in a while. I hope for Victory's sake I simply got a bad bottle. (675 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Pours out clear straw color with no head at all. Lots of yeast sediment that stay suspended in the beer.

Smells like wheat, and artificial lemon flavoring.

The feel was very watery and somewhat flat. Overpowering lemon flavor with a note of celery. A little malt flavor and no hops to speak of.

This beer gets points for drinkability, because it was quenching and went down easy, but not very interesting, and not much dimension of flavor. I expected more from Victory since Hop Wollup is one of my new favorites. (516 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -34.7%

it poured light pale yellow almost white nice fluffy head stuck around

the smell was a little to much lemon even for this style, it had a funk that came up as I put the glass to my nose.

the taste was a stale wheat flavor with lite lemon flavor and an almost watered down aftertaste

not one of my favorites (310 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -33.1%

This is the oddest review I have posted. I am a big witbier fan, and also really enjoy Victory. I picked up a split 6 pack at Victory, and this was the 1st one I tried. I had to have a 2nd to confirm my initial thoughts.

Poured a cloudy, murky, dull pale gold with a quickly disappating 1/4" head of loose white clinging foam.

The nose is usually the best aspect of most wibiers. But this one..odd..familiar...lite sweetness...what is that? No. It can't be. Sniff again. Its...cured lunch meat...bologna to be specific. Whoa..

OK, so the nose is freaked, how about the taste? Unusually soft, some spice, light citrus, little peppery on the pallete, no...wait...not again....oh my God ....bologna! This is unreal. For what its worth it finished crisp.

This had to be a bad batch, If someone at Victory is reading this, please tell me some young brewdude screwed up a batch. You couldn't possibly have released this intentionally. I tried 2 bottles, and this is one of the worst tasting beers I have tried yet. Anyone want 4 Whirlywinds? (1,047 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz brown bottle with a crimped-on cap.

Very pale,hazy,straw color with a tall creamy white head falls a bit quickly to a coating. The carbination the same livey at first,but dies down quickly never looks flat at all though.

Delicate aromas mostly clove,some bannana with spicy yeast character.

Lots of clove in the taste,very grassy with some spice and yeast tastes. Tastes like a clove flavored water,just a bit light on taste for me.

Very light watery mouthfeel,almost like drinking water. Lacks taste to be drinkable for me. Not offensive in any way,just nothing to keep me interested. Would be a good starter beer for the ladies. (687 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours yellow and a bit cloudy. this is a white beer with a kick. i did not have this with lemon to tone it down, and it was just not for me. i am not a huge white beer fan, but the hacker-pschorr was much better (211 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -28.8%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Straw hue. Cloudy and opaque - hazy. No head whatsoever. Visible effervescence.

S: Creamy sweet vanilla aroma with a citrusy lemon scent and some coriander. Malt aroma pokes through. Very floral and sweet. Missing spicy notes.

T: A very disappointing taste. Dry tart finish is the only flavor characteristic that makes this taste like a witbier. No underscoring sweetness. No spicy flavors. Orange/citrus flavor is flat, weak, and funky.

MF: Medium body. Highly carbonated. Creamy from high carbonation.

D: This is a disappointing offering from Victory, which is one of my favorite breweries. It's missing most of the good things about a witbier. Not particularly drinkable. (753 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a transparent light honey color with small fleeting head. Weak artificial vanilla extract aroma makes me turn away. Feeble taste of light floral, stale vanilla, and watered-down hops. Drinkable but not enjoyable, i prefer a thicker and richer wheat beer. There's no personality here and no richness of flavors. (316 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a gold color with a think white head which quickly dissipates. No lacing at all. Smell was clovelike with some yeasty notes. Taste was weak. Very faint clove like flavors and not much else. Very water-downed and light-bodied. Easy to drink but not much else going on. Expected more. (288 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

BEER NUMBER 100! Belgian wheats aren't my thing. I wait until I'm really drunk to drink it so I don't taste the nastiness. Those and saisons. I'm more DIPA and Stouts. But then why drink this if you don't like it you say? Because it's beer and it was in their summer variety pack, that's why. But their variety pack was underwhelming for Victory standards. GO Bills!! (367 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -25%

Pours out to a milky pale blond, barely able to muster a small white head with poor retention and sparse lacing. Not the best looking witbier around. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is wonderful and has the same yeast strain appeal as Golden Monkey with a brisk and large nose full of orange peel and coriander, apple and banana esters. Mouthfeel is crisp with a light to medium body. The taste begins with a lemony citric note which is brief and quickly is covered up by oxidation and bitterness in the middle. There is an interesting bitterness which combines with a suggestion of lime, akin to Kaffir Lime Leave which I get in my Thai dishes. This is unfortunately marred by a ruddy aftertaste like wet cardboard. Belches of licorice root or anise? Bizarre.

Not one of my favorite Wits. I was expecting much more from Victory, who brew some wonderful beers. Bizarre, odd flavors throughout and probably tainted by oxidation. Needs cleaned up with some more sweetness. Just not tasting good to me. For what it's worth, I bought a 6'er of this and took 5 bottles of it back to swap for some odd-n-ends singles. (1,117 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Not one of Victory's stronger offerings.

Whirlwind is anything but. It's a very basic witbier with not much in the spice/fruit tones. The alcohol is the dominant flavor here. It's not an awful beer by any means, but it's definitely a 'safe' offering. Nothing to write home about.

Pours with a whispy white head -true to the style but not as hazy as I'd like, and the viscocity and lacing leave a bit to be desired.

Smell is faint lemon/sugar. Taste is tart lemon/alcohol heat. Not much spice in this... both the intial taste and aftertaste/belches come off as near sprite-ish... Maybe it's better on tap, but I'm not too crazy about this...

I bought 7 bottles of beer. 2 bottles of this. That 2nd bottle will be sitting around for a while. (744 characters)

Victory- Whirlwind

Appearance- cloudy light yellow with very little soapy white head.
Smell- strong clove aroma, not much else.
Taste- Strong clove and rose hips/ flowers?! No banana not alot going on in here.
Mouthfeel- slighty tart but easy to gulp down.

Overall- nothing special here. Has a nice tart flavor. (320 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a cloudy, pale gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of lemon, slight tart malt, hint of hops, and slight sweet malt. Barely fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with a high carbonation level. The feel is also slightly watery. Tastes of lemon, pale malt, slight sweet malt, and a hint of hops. Overall, more reminiscent of a Weissbier than a Witbier. (423 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

not a fan of the style at all, having tried Hoeegarden and Allagash I tried this figuring I will find one that satisfies, this did not satisfy at all. mouthful disappeared 1/4 of the way through and basically had no finish.....of the beers I enjoy I need an aftertaste.....others in my group had similar concerns. (314 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

I had this on draught a few weeks ago at the Taco Mac on E/W Connector, but wanted to have a go at it in a bottle. I must say, it is quite different. Appearance is much more on par with style guidelines from the bottle, with a pale yellow, cloudy look remenicent of Hoegaarden or Wittekerke. Smell on draught was very *average*, while smell from the bottle seemed a bit richer, and thus, a little more impressive. Taste on draught is very good with loads of spice and delicious flavours. Taste in the bottle was muted spices and seems a bit thinner. Mouthfeel in the bottle seemed a bit less impressive than draught, as well, and likewise, drinkability. I enjoied this for sure, and would probably buy it again, but it's a bit better on draught. (745 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Appears cloudy yellow gold color with a weak quickly dissipating head.

Smells like some very sweet malts. Not much smell overall.

Tastes like cotton candy, this beer is very sweet. There is a bit of a honey taste in with the malts. No hop bitterness detected.

Feels a bit light and under carbonated. I would not drink more than a few of these.

What happened Victory? first the pils then this one.... hmmmm, maybe there is some funk in the brewery that bothers me... (470 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours ugly yellow with no head, lots of sediment.

Light citrus, the usual suspects - belgian yeast, spice and fruits albeit died down.

Astringent, plenty of spice and subtle fruits. Dulled lemon flavor and sedimentiness. Watery.

Dry, muted finish

Not too refreshing for a witbier, didn't really like this one. (313 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22%

"Best enjoyed before Oct. 14 06"

Poured a hazy gold with a thin white head that quickly disappeared.
The smell was a bit musty - some subtle spices are in the background, as is the yeast.
Clove and a touch of other spices are present, but are taken over somewhat by a mildewy yeast. A slight touch of hops is noticeable.
It was a bit too thin - watery. Leaves a cleaner, and more refreshing, feel than I had expected considering the taste and smell.
Overall, it's not terrible by any means, but it's disappointing nevertheless. It's not a very good example of the style. (577 characters)

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company