Whirlwind Witbier - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whirlwind Witbier Alström Bros

MortarPestle, Apr 26, 2012
1.3/5  rDev -64.8%

Poured into a pint glass.Floaties swimming around,thick and cloudy yellow.Smells of clove and corriander.Overwhelming taste of cloves.Way to many spices going on here.This beer ruined my palate for the rest of the day.

Notes. I was surprised how much I hated this beer.The first Victory offering I would not reccomend.

oneeye, May 19, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -62.1%

WTF did they do to this beer? This is the first time I tried it since they put in the new brewhouse and I'm not impressed. This used to be a wonderfully drinkable beer with orange and subtle spice flavors that made it quite refreshing. Now its just overloaded with phenolics and all you can taste and smell is cloves. I can't get past the phenolic flavors enough to even finish a bottle. Just horrible. Hopefully this is just temporary and they can get it back to where it used to be.

Longstaff, Jul 12, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -49.1%

Fan of Victory so I thought Id try this

A: Pours a deep yellow color with a lot of carbonation and a small, white head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass

S: First smell I get is of the wheat and cloves, but the more I smell, the more it reminds me of a bologna sandwhich. I hope it doesnt taste like this

T: I should of known, it does taste exactly like bologna, which I do not like. There were no subtle flavors to tone it down either and I had a tough time finishing it. Watery bologna sandwhich is the perfect explanation for this one

M: Carbonation is nice and it is quite crisp

D: Not drinkable at all

I had trouble finishing this one, good thing I had a Miller Lite to wash it down. Miserable beer. I am very disappointed with Victory for this one. DONT BUY!!

nickg902, May 09, 2006

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

**Not sure if this one is infected but this is the weirdest tasting beer I have ever had**

A - Pale straw yellow with a thin white ring head.

S - Strong Oscar Mayer hot dog aroma with a hint of banana and clove.

T - Like drinking pureed hot dogs (not that I have ever had that). It tastes like a liquid hot dog. The hot dog drowns out any other flavors that might be there.

M - Light and crisp. Very nice for a wit.

D - Based on other reviews I have to imagine I got a bad bottle but I did have several other people sample this one and they all agreed. Another person came up with bologna. Liquid hot dogs or bologna are very unpleasant.

brewcrew76, Jun 16, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

Needless to say, I was not very impressed with this beer. In fact, I found it to be rather offensive. I'm not a huge fan of witbiers, but every one I've had has been better than this. Fizzy white head that dies after a few seconds, even with a strong pour. No lacing. Clear golden color. Coriander and cloves in the nose..can't really pick up anything else. As far as taste goes..in my opinion, the coriander and spices are way overdone, but then again, that's my personal taste. Nothing stood out for me and I didn't find any aspect of the beer particularly exciting. I feel bad giving such a great brewery a bad review...it's hard for me to believe Hopdevil is related to this brew.

hero27, Jun 29, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

Light yellow cloudy beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma is disgusting,it actually smeels like mustard.Taste is nutmeg and lemon...yuck.I am a fan of Victory products but this is just plain unenjoyable.I will label this as one step below garbage.Yuck.

matty, Jun 30, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -41.2%

Sorry, not my kind of brew....the lemmony taste is interesting but the cloudiness of this product is not appealing. Lingering after taste, almost bitter sweet leaves me wanting something else to cut the taste. Medium body with ample carbonation.

Shiloh, Nov 12, 2002
2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

Clear, light lemon peel yellow with minimal white head. Smells strongly of lemon. Sweet lemon zest and tart lemon with moldy belgian yeast and a bit of clove. I have to be honest this beer smells terrrible. The taste is only slightly better: light lemon-lime soft drink flavoring to go along a bit of wheat and yeast (not the same as the foul smelling stuff from the nose thank goodness), and a bit of spice to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, lacking the significant carbonation characterized by the style. Have to be honest; I was not expecting it but this was one of the worst beers I've had in a while. I hope for Victory's sake I simply got a bad bottle.

Slynger, Jan 24, 2008

michaelfcasey, Jul 16, 2014

danbush16, Jul 05, 2012

jaybags, Jun 11, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours out clear straw color with no head at all. Lots of yeast sediment that stay suspended in the beer.

Smells like wheat, and artificial lemon flavoring.

The feel was very watery and somewhat flat. Overpowering lemon flavor with a note of celery. A little malt flavor and no hops to speak of.

This beer gets points for drinkability, because it was quenching and went down easy, but not very interesting, and not much dimension of flavor. I expected more from Victory since Hop Wollup is one of my new favorites.

mesperon, Dec 12, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -35%

it poured light pale yellow almost white nice fluffy head stuck around

the smell was a little to much lemon even for this style, it had a funk that came up as I put the glass to my nose.

the taste was a stale wheat flavor with lite lemon flavor and an almost watered down aftertaste

not one of my favorites

Kwak, Feb 15, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

This is the oddest review I have posted. I am a big witbier fan, and also really enjoy Victory. I picked up a split 6 pack at Victory, and this was the 1st one I tried. I had to have a 2nd to confirm my initial thoughts.

Poured a cloudy, murky, dull pale gold with a quickly disappating 1/4" head of loose white clinging foam.

The nose is usually the best aspect of most wibiers. But this one..odd..familiar...lite sweetness...what is that? No. It can't be. Sniff again. Its...cured lunch meat...bologna to be specific. Whoa..

OK, so the nose is freaked, how about the taste? Unusually soft, some spice, light citrus, little peppery on the pallete, no...wait...not again....oh my God ....bologna! This is unreal. For what its worth it finished crisp.

This had to be a bad batch, If someone at Victory is reading this, please tell me some young brewdude screwed up a batch. You couldn't possibly have released this intentionally. I tried 2 bottles, and this is one of the worst tasting beers I have tried yet. Anyone want 4 Whirlywinds?

BuckSpin, Jun 09, 2005

HarmonMW, Apr 29, 2012

tb4475, Sep 25, 2014

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz brown bottle with a crimped-on cap.

Very pale,hazy,straw color with a tall creamy white head falls a bit quickly to a coating. The carbination the same livey at first,but dies down quickly never looks flat at all though.

Delicate aromas mostly clove,some bannana with spicy yeast character.

Lots of clove in the taste,very grassy with some spice and yeast tastes. Tastes like a clove flavored water,just a bit light on taste for me.

Very light watery mouthfeel,almost like drinking water. Lacks taste to be drinkable for me. Not offensive in any way,just nothing to keep me interested. Would be a good starter beer for the ladies.

jcdiflorio, May 05, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Straw hue. Cloudy and opaque - hazy. No head whatsoever. Visible effervescence.

S: Creamy sweet vanilla aroma with a citrusy lemon scent and some coriander. Malt aroma pokes through. Very floral and sweet. Missing spicy notes.

T: A very disappointing taste. Dry tart finish is the only flavor characteristic that makes this taste like a witbier. No underscoring sweetness. No spicy flavors. Orange/citrus flavor is flat, weak, and funky.

MF: Medium body. Highly carbonated. Creamy from high carbonation.

D: This is a disappointing offering from Victory, which is one of my favorite breweries. It's missing most of the good things about a witbier. Not particularly drinkable.

Nipitato, Jul 23, 2007