Whirlwind Witbier - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whirlwind Witbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 897 | Reviews: 540
2.85/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

not a fan of the style at all, having tried Hoeegarden and Allagash I tried this figuring I will find one that satisfies, this did not satisfy at all. mouthful disappeared 1/4 of the way through and basically had no finish.....of the beers I enjoy I need an aftertaste.....others in my group had similar concerns.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

I had this on draught a few weeks ago at the Taco Mac on E/W Connector, but wanted to have a go at it in a bottle. I must say, it is quite different. Appearance is much more on par with style guidelines from the bottle, with a pale yellow, cloudy look remenicent of Hoegaarden or Wittekerke. Smell on draught was very *average*, while smell from the bottle seemed a bit richer, and thus, a little more impressive. Taste on draught is very good with loads of spice and delicious flavours. Taste in the bottle was muted spices and seems a bit thinner. Mouthfeel in the bottle seemed a bit less impressive than draught, as well, and likewise, drinkability. I enjoied this for sure, and would probably buy it again, but it's a bit better on draught.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Appears cloudy yellow gold color with a weak quickly dissipating head.

Smells like some very sweet malts. Not much smell overall.

Tastes like cotton candy, this beer is very sweet. There is a bit of a honey taste in with the malts. No hop bitterness detected.

Feels a bit light and under carbonated. I would not drink more than a few of these.

What happened Victory? first the pils then this one.... hmmmm, maybe there is some funk in the brewery that bothers me...

2.89/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours ugly yellow with no head, lots of sediment.

Light citrus, the usual suspects - belgian yeast, spice and fruits albeit died down.

Astringent, plenty of spice and subtle fruits. Dulled lemon flavor and sedimentiness. Watery.

Dry, muted finish

Not too refreshing for a witbier, didn't really like this one.

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

"Best enjoyed before Oct. 14 06"

Poured a hazy gold with a thin white head that quickly disappeared.
The smell was a bit musty - some subtle spices are in the background, as is the yeast.
Clove and a touch of other spices are present, but are taken over somewhat by a mildewy yeast. A slight touch of hops is noticeable.
It was a bit too thin - watery. Leaves a cleaner, and more refreshing, feel than I had expected considering the taste and smell.
Overall, it's not terrible by any means, but it's disappointing nevertheless. It's not a very good example of the style.

2.92/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at Wilbur's Liquors in Ft Collins as part of a mixed 6 Pack.

This pours from 12oz bottle(Best by Apr 30 08) a cloudy yellow with a small head of foam. Not much is left after a few minutes other than a ring around the edge of my glass and some lacing.

The smell is of yeast and citrus and wheat and clove and banana. It's not a bit shy on the nose. ;^)

The taste is big and citrusy up front with flavours of clove and some banana but it all works up front only..the flavours fall off quickly midway through and it finishes really watery. If at least some of the flavour lasted, I'd have liked it more. Pretty disappointing for me and I'll not revisit this brew.

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Just picked this one up today, been looking forward to trying some beer from Victory, this is my first.

Pours a pale yellow color, slight haze, not as much as other witbiers that I've had.

At first smell, it smells like ham. Wierd smell to get from a beer. I pick up some floral notes, but not a lot.

Taste: Very mild flavor, not the most flavor I have gotten from a Witbier. I pick up some banana and floral tastes in it, does not have much malty or hoppy taste, but I wasn't expecting that.

Overall an easily drinkable beer. I will finish the six pack that I bought, but probably won't buy another. I have had many better beers of this style.

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

Having never been a fan of wheat beers, but having always been a fan of Victory beers, I figured that if I was going to learn to appreciate this style, then this brewer would be the one to show me how. Although I am still not enlightened as to the delights of wheat beers, I have to say that Victory seems to have nailed this style. The color was a deep golden yellow, with cloudiness that prevents seeing through the glass. The head is bright white and lingers for a little while. The aroma is strong, reminiscent of a belgian ale. The flavor attacks the senses immediately, and delivers that big round taste that envelops the tongue. There are hints of citrus and pine, no hop to speak of. It's a big flavor, just not one that I can gravitate toward. Victory seems to have done a masterful job with this style, but I can't seem to get through the entire glass.

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

I really like some of Victory's beers. Prima Pils is one of my favorite pilseners. Old Horizontal is a top notch barleywine. With this in mind, Whirlwind Wit, now distributed on the West Coast, is a major disappointment.

It looks and smell fine enough. Aroma-wise, perhaps a bit more coriander and spice than I like in my wits but there's a clove smell than ties it somewhat together. Taste is but maltier than expected. The wheat is cllovey but it has a smokiness that is altogether non-witbier. Even if it's not awful - the strange flavors lower the drinkability.

2.97/5  rDev -19.5%

Victory Whirl Wind: In a twelve ounce bottle, with an extremely long blurb about the beer on the side, which I did not bother to read. I swirled the bottle to get the yeast in the pour, so it was a hazy golden color. The head was a big disappointment: very small head that dissipated very quickly. The aroma was also a surprise, as it was missing the banana yeast aroma that I had expected. Instead, the aroma was very citrus, predominately orange.

The taste was not all that nice either. It had a fairly strong citrus taste, but not a traditional wit beer taste. The yeast taste was absent. The beer was OK, easy to drink and refreshing, but I’ve had lots and lots better wheat beers.

2.97/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear yellow with a white head that settled some but came back with a swirl of the glass.

S - lemon zest aroma.

T - light malted wheat with a citrusy finish.

M - light body, mild cabonation.

D - ok drinkability.

On tap at Zoso's Bar, Greensburg PA.

Appearance: typical Witbeer cloudiness, though not as cloudy as say Wittekerke. No head to speak of.

Smell: Citrus and some faint clove.

Taste: initial taste started out very nice. Tart with belgian spices and wheat. After the second and third sips, the taste started to become more one dimensional towards tart and bitter that become cloying. Would have preferred a touch more sweetness to overcome the bitterness.

Overall: not bad but would not want more than one of these. Leaves a bitter aftertaste sort of like an ex-wife.

Poured from a brown 12 oz bottle. Drink by date of April 15 2009.

Pours a cloudy apple juice color. Nice white head that disappears quickly.

A very citrus aroma with a spicyness to it.

Flavor is lemon/grapefruit and spice.

VEry crisp and refreshing. Highly carbonated.

This is an average witbier but a very refreshing summertime beer.

Poured a cloudy pale straw color. At middle of pour I poured straight in, as I was getting no head. And never did. Just small lacing around edges. Didn't have much smell, maybe some grassy citurs? Clove? Not sure. Tasted very tangy, and peppery. I expected more citrus and spice. Mouthfeel was light and fresh, but still tart and tangy. Didn't like that tang much. For the style, I've had better. I'm no beer judge, but it didn't seem as good as other witbiers I've had. I'll still drink it, but not one of my top choices.

This beer is hazy and hay-colored with a tiny white head. The aroma is predominantly of clove and maybe some pear. The flavor is a light sizzle of citrus: simple lemon and clove that ends with a plastic finish. Good lawn mowing beer.
(rated Apr 10, 2007)

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks like a witbier in the glass. Thin, light fluffy head that was gone in a flash. No lacing at all on the glass as I drank.

It smells like a witbier but doesn't taste like one. It has a very salty and peppery finish. Also notes of celery and grass in the finish. Wierd.

Not the best mouthfeel and not very drinkable.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Bought a six pack of this from Consumer Beverage's in Orchard Park, NY. My ratings may be low for this beer because I noticed that the best by date was in March after getting home. I have always enjoyed Victory's offerings but this one had a sour taste with virtually no head immediately after pouring. Very disappointed but will give Victory the benefit of the doubt as I'm sure that it is because of the date. I'm actually more annoyed with Consumer's for keeping on the shelf and myself for not being more alert.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Thanks to Far333 for what is probably the final installment in my "summer of witbiers" - for some reason, I've been spending a lot of time with witbiers and hefeweizens this summer (the hops are getting jealous). Poured a hazy golden, perhaps a little less hazy than most. Some fruity yeast in the nose. A touch bready, with some distant clove notes. An odd finish that I couldn't quite put my finger on - sort of artificial, almost plum, but that's not it. A detraction from an otherwise solid beer.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

A refreshing summer beer but not a great witbier. Pours a very light hazy yellow into a Bud Select flute. Weak head, delicate bubbles but not not enough and not enough staying power either. Minimal lacing.

Smell is fairly weak as well, some lemon zest and a little wheat.

Taste is pleasant enough but not that complex. Lemon zest and a bit of wheat bitterness are apparent but Belgian yeast and spices are lacking.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

A refreshing beer for the summer but that's about it. Lots of others in the same category.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is seriously the palest beer I have ever senn, and that includes BMC and its bretheren. It was a pale yellow, and poured with little head. There was minimal lacing througout the beer, and a moderate amount of carbonation.

The smell was another story. It was a nice mix of aromas, with banana, citrus, apple, pepper, and the yeasts typical of the style. I could smell it all day and not get sick of it.

As it turns out, the smell was the high point of the beer for me. As expected based on the appearance of the pour, the mouthfeel was very watery; not impressive at all. The taste mirrored the mouthfeel somewhat. There is some decent stuff in there, but overall the flavor is lacking in both strength and quality. It was noticably watery going down, especially in the aftertaste. The mix of flavors before that were also pretty subdued. There just isn't a lot going on here.

Its drinkable and not offensive, but it is a very mediocre beer. I'm hoping that I got a bad batch, because I typically expect a lot more from Victory than this.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

A: pale yellow. hazy. fluffy white head has no retention and is kind of a let down.

S: slightly vinous, white wine-esque. italian seasoning and pepper. belgian-like yeast fruitiness.

T: very herbal. some spice as well. finish has a bit of pancake batter and some residual sweetness.

M: medium body medium carbonation. i was expecting it to be a little more effervescent.

D: honestly with so many solid brews coming out of Victory i was expecting a lot more out of this. slightly refreshing, but definitely better examples out there. keep on moving...

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a dark yellow/golden color with a small head that dies off quickly. The aroma is strong with corriander/orange and has a little spiciness as well. Grainy flavor and a little thin. Little sweet maltiness. Some lemon and orange citrus. Although this is a decent beer, I think this beer could have been a lot better.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a cloudy golden yellowish/ orange color with a very thin head. Spicy aroma with hints of citrus orange and lemon peel and banana. Very smooth and crisp with spicy pepper, lemon zest, citrus peel and banana flavor. Slight malt presence as well. Aftertast is a bit metallic and soapy though.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Served on tap at the Victory brewery in Downingtown, PA.

Body is a hazy straw yellow color with a beautifully thick foamy white head. Just a perfect look to this beer.

Not at all impressed with the aroma, though the style isn't particularly known for having a big nose. Faint with only hints of citrus and spices.

Flavor is light and very crisp. Light malt and substantial lemons. Yeast comes through after swallowing. I would have liked less citrus and slightly more spices in the clove and black pepper.

Drinkability is good as is expected with the style, though it suffers a bit for me with the overstatement of lemons.

I am a bit let down by this beer, but only because I expect so much whenever I try a Victory beer for the first time, and I have heard some great things about this particular beer. I think it is a bit too heavy on the lemon for my taste. I'm sure I'll give it another shot in the future however.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

709th Review on BA
Bottle to Pilsner
12oz

I think I F***ed up and got a bottle with a best by Mar 26th, 2011 If I can read that tiny white print.

App- So out of the bottle it was very light and very hazy with about an 1/8" of an inch of head. No cling, no lace, no legs.

Smell- A bit bright with a little bit of lemon and some wheat behind it. little bit of hefe smell to it with some bubblegum, banana and yeast just smelled thin to me.

Taste- A pretty average witbier even if this one was a bit old. Seems to be a bit watery with a little issue of flavor pop. The flavors just seem to be there and a bit underwhelming. Probably my own fault for the old bottle.

Mouth- Light bodied and high carbed. A bit too thin even for this style. More like an alcoholic
lemonade.

Drink- It's an average beer with it's place in the market for a good summer beer to cool you down and not get you too buzzed. A little lacking in flavor but oh well. Only a single 12, not a six pack.

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company