Winter Cheers - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  6.70% ABV

A wheat ale, combining German wheat and barley malts, oats, torrified wheat and whole flower Tettnang and Citra hops, this fruity and warming holiday brew delivers a refreshing finish, with spicy hints of banana, clove and citrus.

(Beer added by: rab53 on 10-14-2013)

IdrinkGas, Feb 11, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer when poured has a light golden color body with a small head. The aroma has a strong smell of clove. The taste has a clove, banana flavors and some hop on the finish. It has a nice spicy finish to it.
Mouthful is good and overall a good winter beer.

chefhatt, Feb 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

david18, Feb 08, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Really nice fresh aroma of soft fruit, wheat, a touch of sourness, a little bubblegum and overall hefe goodness.
Huge very white head (I'm glad I used an over-sized reidel glass) and slightly cloudy yellow body (before I poured the bottle of the bottle).
Slightly heavier feel that I suppose is consistent with slightly bigger abv. Takes away a bit from the clean and crispness of smaller hefes. Nice tingling on the tongue with fruit, tartness, wheat and a little clove. Quite a bit of dryness and a long lingering finish.
I do appreciate a nice wheat in the winter and this one is fine. Somehow not as enjoyable in the flavor as in the aroma, but still pretty darn nice and goes well with snow outside and an afternoon of winter olympics.

garymuchow, Feb 08, 2014

grahamboudreaux, Jan 28, 2014

RobDB, Jan 27, 2014

PStriedl, Jan 25, 2014
3.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Clearish bright yellow, some carbonation. one finger head.

S-Some metallic notes, wheat, clove, banana and some spice.

T-Kinda bland. The wheat, banana, clove and other spices are there, they are balanced well. But not that intense. Weak flavors.

M-Lighter, slightly watery, not much carbonation.

O-Still not sure why this style was chosen for a winter beer. Then on top of that it wasn't a good beer from the style.

rlee1390, Jan 25, 2014
3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a light yellow, slightly hazy with lots of carbonation rising from the bottom. A 1 finger head that hung around for quite a while. Aroma was a slightly bitter banana with a hint of spicy tang. Flavor had a bit of pepper kick, but also slightly sweet as well. Felt good in the mouth, a bit of carbonation and coating. Overall, not bad at all. Didn't hit me as a winter beer however, more just a solid wheat beer.

mountdew1, Jan 24, 2014

MonicaC, Jan 24, 2014

JArmour15, Jan 23, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

beernads, Jan 23, 2014

dannyfayy, Jan 22, 2014
3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Winter Cheers a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I was picking up a couple of other winter seasonals at the time and I thought I should give this one a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

A- The label looks nice and it's got a slight holiday theme to it with a mistletoe on the label. It poured a slightly hazy straw yellow color that took on more of golden hue when held to the light with four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy lacing behind. This is a very good looking HefeWeizen, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast being the first to show up and it imparts that typical blend of spicy, banana, and bubble gum aromas with the spices and bananas sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which are nice and citrusy and fruity with some citrus rind and pineapple like aromas. Up next comes the malts which impart a slight grainy, wheaty and very bready aroma. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, the citrus hops worked well with the Hefeweizen yeast.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a great citrus and fruity hop flavors with citrus rinds and pineapple still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the bready aspect still sticking out the most. On the finish comes the yeast that is a little on the milder side and it imparts all those Hefeweizen yeast aspects that I got in the aroma with the banana still sticking out the most and there's just the right amount of spices in the background with a low amount of bitterness and citrus hop and a pretty yeasty aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer and I thought the balance between the yeast and the citrus hops were really nice.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer while being pretty Heferweizen like.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a good example of a hoppy Hefeweizen, I can't say that I've had very many Hoppy Heferweizen's that I can I remember, but I like the concept since I thought the hops did a good good job at balancing out the yeast and the hops impart some nice flavor with hardly any bitterness which I liked. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these, but I think I would rather have this beer in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance between the yeast and the hops, I thought it was very good. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's a winter seasonal, I think this beer is much more suited for the summer and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy on the beach. I might buy this beer again, but the time of year that it's released isn't really the time that I drink this style, so I don't know if I will get any more. I would recommend this to most Hefeweizen fans. Overall I enjoyed this beer, I wasn't expecting much but this beer turned out to be pretty nice and I liked the way that the citrus hop complimented the Hefe yeast. I like this concept of a hoppy Hefeweizen and I hope to see more. Good job guys, this was a pretty nice beer, I just wish I could enjoy it in the summer.

StoutHunter, Jan 20, 2014

Lanstrum, Jan 19, 2014

Lehighace06, Jan 19, 2014

jrpapajcik, Jan 15, 2014
4.46/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip.
6.7% ABV, Enjoy by March 21 2014

A - Poured into a Bruery tulip, this beer looks exactly like the warm, friendly label portrays! Hazy pale yellow in color, Winter Cheers looks like a witbier, pouring with a tall white head that decorates the glass in chunky lacing as it slowly recedes.

S - Victory has crafted a unique amalgam from the very beginning as Winter Cheers has a forward aroma of citrusy hops that impart lemongrass which melds perfectly with a decent dose of clove and finish of fresh bubble gum Big League Chew! Grainy pale malt, soft wheat, and flaked oats provide this beer with a round and seductive appeal.

T - Hoppy citrus character leads the holiday cheer with melodies of lemon oil drizzled on the yeast's plentiful clove spiciness; bubble gum not far behind. Wheat's softness balances the pale grains for a smooth and playful base that acts as a springboard for the zestiness.

M - Winter Cheers' smooth and soft body provides the perfect entry, and finish, to this wheat beer that's laded with dry spice and citrus and a completely invisible alcohol level.

O - Victory Winter Cheers' label screams holiday cheer and while the beer itself (forgetting about the label) works as a holiday beer, this would be an exceptional summer beer as well! Bright citrus and glowing spicy notes swirl together above a smooth and drinkable body for a totally cohesive wheat beer that incorporates wonderfully clean German ingredients and drinkability with American ingenuity.

BeerFMAndy, Jan 14, 2014