1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

FestbierFestbier

good

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,296 | Reviews: 696 | Show All Ratings:
jstilwell

1.83/5  rDev -50.5%

Let me first say that I am a fan of the Victory offerings...Not this one. Tasted like a nice Paulaner ruined by adding Water and corn syrup.

A: Medium Brown, Amber, very small quickly disappearing head, no lacing.

B: Not overwhelming, mild roasted malt, hazelnut

T: Blah, boring watery, not much flavor followed by slight bitterness. The aftertaste reminded me of diet Coke.

M: Water! Might quench thirst on a summer day, but this is an Octoberfest brew, right?

D: The highlight perhaps is they are drinkable, but who'd want to?, certainly not I.

01-03-2009 00:57:22 | More by jstilwell
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured little to no head on an amber body. Smells were very sweet, malty, maple syrup, caramel and a touch of floral. Sadly, those did not translate over to taste, which was dominated by a distinct unappealing dusty and skunkiness. Overpowers anything else in there. Also remarkably flat for the style.

I'm guessing that I got a bad bottle. I hope I did, as otherwise this is big disappointment.

10-08-2008 04:55:49 | More by ibashmuck
rushpatrick

2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

having enjoyed many victory beers in the past and many more oktoberfests, this beer proved to be a great dissapointment. The taste reminds me of a skunky cheap domestic lager. i would recomend not drinking this beer. I wrote the manufacturer an email as i was so offended by the taste and quality of this product.
it contained very to little head in a pour from bottle to tulip glass, color was a slight copper-amber tone. little to no taste but that of skunk. not much aftertaste, allowing for the posibilty to finish a glass; give a six-pack a few days. not recommended.

10-14-2008 03:13:43 | More by rushpatrick
Knapp85

2.35/5  rDev -36.5%

I like that fact that they wanted to create something for the Oktoberfest season but, I don't know if this beer really fits that perspective or not. It's more along the lines of a Pilsner than a Marzen. The flavors that Victory came up with her are most definitely German but I don't think that it was the best way to go in making this brew. It was also a little too weak for a beer in the fall season.

03-27-2011 22:49:22 | More by Knapp85
Kooz

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured to an amber color; good head.

Malty nose. Some spice. Nothing terribly special...

Spices in taste, and flavorful but too bitter. Not much about this I really like. It's flavors are robust but bitter, and the spices taste off.

Good body, but the spices linger too long and don't taste fresh--that's the best way to describe them. It's like Victory used expired dry spices.

Overall, I'm not impressed.

10-06-2012 01:54:52 | More by Kooz
frank4sail

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

Musty malt/old sneaker smell. Crystal amber color. No lasting head at all. Sweet chewy malt flavor with a smidge of hops. Very dissapointing effort for one of my favorite breweries. The label says victory but the taste is not one of a victory product. Overly sweet, unbalenced, and no head retention at all. Like sweet syrup.

12-06-2002 08:56:32 | More by frank4sail
musicjustintime

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

I'm actually disappointed. I LOVE Victory's offerings...but this one is just WEIRD! Maybe I got a "bad bottle?!" (Don't think so though) Tastes kinda like dirt, with a little bit of old hops added. Not sure what this beer is... The worst Octoberfest I've ever had...so far, and I really hate to say it. Again, Victory is a wonderful brewery, and this is THE FIRST of theirs that I've had that I don't like. Maybe it's not me, 'cause my buddy DID say he's tried it, and hated it as well?!.... Sorry friends. I don't recommend this....unless you like a "dirty"-tasting Oct-fest. Sorry Victory friends. Cheers and SAAAALUTE my BA friends!!!

10-01-2007 23:13:53 | More by musicjustintime
Winter

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours amber with a thin, off-white head. The aroma seems slight skunked. If it's the hops, they're rather musky and not welcomed. Can't really detect any maltiness in the aroma. The mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. Festbier is a malty lager with a touch of hop bitterness. An ale fruitiness is introduced in the middle and lingers into and almost unnoticeable finish. Overall, I was not impressed by this example of an Oktoberfest.

10-18-2007 03:51:14 | More by Winter
RussBecker1

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Pours a somewhat cloudy orange. Much more colorful than a number of other marzens I have had. It is also a good deal lighter, and reflects light in a pretty fashion. Maybe a 1-2 finger white head that was decently thicker than I expected. Little to no lacing to be had however.

S-Not the most appealing smell. The malts are the most apparent, but they appear to be roasted slightly too much, as the caramel and toffee flavorings are too burnt for my taste. There are hints of light fruit (something muted like a banana although that is not quite it).

M-Nothing too special. Carbonated enough to make it easy to drink, but it neither enhances nor detracts from the experience.

T-Very bland for a marzen. As to be expected, European marzens have ten time the flavor (German/Austrian), but even for an American style marzen, this fest beer did not make much of an impression. The tastes did not mix, and it was surprisingly bitter for a beer of this style. As expected, the malts were too smokey which left an undesirable taste.

O-Had it not been described as an oktoberfest then I may have seen this beer differently, but overall I will avoid festbeer in the future

09-20-2012 15:30:36 | More by RussBecker1
DownDaHatch

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%

I have loved the Victory label, so I was excited to give this beer a whirl. The best I can say of this beer is that it is unremarkable. It certainly lacks complexity. I am certain it's intent is a munich-like style Octoberfest, but falls a bit flat. It looks wonderful, pours great, but generally stops there. The slightly malty nose is also a nice compliment. The taste seems hopless with some floral and fruit (Pear/apples?) undertones. It is medium bodied and copper colored and has a bit of a dry finish. I love Octoberfest beers, but this one left me a bit flat.

08-18-2008 16:40:44 | More by DownDaHatch
xcrunner78

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle

Appearance: Orange-Copper in pour, with a good size head. Good amount of carbonation in the glass.

Smell: A bit of dough and very malty. Cannot smell any hop addition.

Taste: Definitely a lager. Malts are toasted, a little carmel and a grassy hop on the palate. Finishes dry and would have been good with some bready food.

12-22-2009 15:44:20 | More by xcrunner78
John

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The color and head look promising. After that I'd have to agree with previous reviewers that this is sub-par for Victory. Not as clean as a Marzen should be IMHO. Some diacetyl is detected and I thought while drinking that it might be an ale. Just verified via the Victory site that it's indeed a lager. Not bad, but very unVictory like.

09-24-2002 10:01:00 | More by John
seesnow3

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Heavy Seas pint glass, no freshness date, $1.90/bottle in NH

Pour-Pours a small head that quickly fades to a washy film with a thin ring of bubbles. Deep copper with a little less of an orange color. A faint stream of large effervescence bubbles here and there. Essentially no lacing that sticks.

Nose-Caramel malt for sure with just a hint of skunky musty aroma. There seems to be just a touch of dark fruit. The spice aroma is a little bit subdued.

Palate-Sweet right away followed by a hint of sour and some noticeable bitterness. The taste is predominantly rich caramel malts. The lingering qualities are fairly short. The sweetness is a little bit fruity and off. Alcohol, despite the low percentage is slightly warming and noticeable.

Body-Medium to heavy, very little effervescence renders this one a tad closer to syrupy in texture. It is sort of creamy but has a slightly drying finish.

Final-I’m not really sure what to make of this. Out of all of the Marzen’s I’ve tried this probably has the least amount of bubbles in it. I’m not sure I personally like it, due to the odd sweetness, but there is nothing in there to severely offend anyone. It’s fairly balanced though a little bit off kilter on the sweetness, but overall worth a go for the price if you don’t mind a fairly “flat” Marzen. Maybe this bottle wasn’t any good, because I know it wasn’t old and my review seems quite contrary to the others.

11-09-2011 00:53:45 | More by seesnow3
mgironta

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This brew was a clear amber color with minimal head and active carbonation. There was no real lacing to speak of. The first thing that I noticed was that this brew was a little thin and not what I would consider for the body of an Oktoberfest. On the nose, I got…nothing. No joke. Not a thing. It was like sniffing water. Maybe if I thought really hard about it, I could get some sort of earthiness and a hint of sweetness. But, it would be a reach. The taste is primarily watery, just how it looked. I didn’t get a lot of taste on it. Maybe some sweet malt on the taste and a hint of earthiness? I’m surprised about the lack of flavor in this brew. I didn’t really like it and would not get it again. Definitely underflavored.

09-17-2012 01:36:33 | More by mgironta
Fish113d

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a dark amber color with some copper as well. A thin 1 finger thick of bone white head forms on top but quickly dissipates to a white surface layer on top.

Sour grapefruits hit my nose first along with a bit of brown caramel malt. A slight bit of spice maybe (cinnamon) but nothing too apparent.

Sipping reveals a less sweet flavor than I expected from the style. The caramel maltiness is there along with a mild floral flavor.

More full-bodied than expected. Nice balance but somewhat of a "weird" feel that I can't truly explain from this one. Perhaps this is a "bad batch" or something, but it is nothing like a 'Fest brew that I've had before.

Overall, one is enough for me. Not one of my favorite Fest brews ever by any means. I hate to slam a beer, but this one just misses the mark completely for me.

09-28-2010 00:14:34 | More by Fish113d
damienblack

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Pours an ordinary copper with a thin, quickly dissipating head. I can't really put my finger on the smell, like a funky malt sweet smell, almost like the smell I get from some of DFH's funkier products (think Midas Touch). Whatever it is, it really doesn't appeal to me.

Medium body, malty and biscuity. Not a whole lot of spiciness or hoppiness here, but the body doesn't stand out all that well. A far thinner body than I recall from my last time tasting, I never thought I'd call a Victory offering "watery", but that's the impression I'm getting. It's pretty clean, but there's not a lot behind it. Feels a little dead, could use some more carbonation. Easily sessionable, but this time around I get so much worse an impression than when I first tried it this year that I wonder if my bottle didn't hold up in the 2 months since purchase.

11-18-2008 06:05:48 | More by damienblack
jimsimply

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Well past its Enjoy by date, this poured a hazy amber into a pint glass with thin head. Not much aroma at all, a faint yeasty smell is all I can discern.

Taste is not much better. I generally like Victory's beers, but this isn't fantastic. Fairly sweet, but lighter in the mouth than I like, almost watery consistency. Carbonation there, but it doesn't add much.

All in all, not my favorite Oktoberfest by any stretch. I had to force myself to finish it.

01-25-2009 21:08:39 | More by jimsimply
Dithyramb

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Purchased a sixer from Avalon Liquors. Took the good part of two months to finish during fishing trips (that is a bad impression, by the way. Paulaner, on the other hand was all drank the first non-striper catchin day)
Cloudy amber bad retention and lacing.
Caramelly malt and some unknown chalkiness in the aroma
Caramel and chalky malt. Overall rather limp with the same crappy hop that mister Cleveland0 detected.
The only Victory brew that's been difficult to finish.
Doesn't have the complexity and mouthfeel of the good to great O'fests out there, average all around.

11-30-2005 14:33:17 | More by Dithyramb
DijonKetchup

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Very nice amber pour - very appetizing color. Head collapsed within minutes despite a perfectly clean glass. The dissipated foam then took on an unappetizing feel - looks like it actuall has floaties in it.

Taste is OK - I had expected more. Very malty and dry - almost over-hopped. I'm missing a bit of sweetness. I keep pouring, hoping that the head will build - too cold? No lacing, and I give up trying to make this more appealing.

Mouthfeel is good, I suppose average for the style. The aftertaste is rather unpleasant, with a bit of metallic. Where are the aroma hops? Now i know it's overhopped, as my teeth are grinding like an IPA - definately not in accordance to style.

I have heard much from Victory, but I just don't get this one. I do like the style, but this is off. A bit too free-wheeling in the interpretation of Festbier.

02-18-2009 00:59:37 | More by DijonKetchup
ROBORB

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a regular pint glass this beer produced a amber hue with a short lasting 1 finger white head. The aroma smells like like malts and perhaps sugar/something sweet. The carbonation is light but the taste is not great. I felt like this beer really goes outside of the regular Marzen characterization. Unfortunately this is not a repeat for me.

03-24-2009 00:11:44 | More by ROBORB
ChillMike

Alabama

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into my Oktoberfest Maßkrug

A: Appears as a traditional Marze, a somewhat murky reddish orange color with a decent off-white head that recedes fairly quickly but does leave just enough lace around the glass.

S: Smells of bread, caramels, sweet malts and that's about all I'm getting out of it, just your standard Oktoberfest beer.

T: Fairly heavy on the dough flavor and sort of a bitter hop tint to it as well, and a bit of a floral aftertone. Nothing too special.

MF: Again nothing really stands out about this one. It's not really bad by any means but there really isn't anything great about it either.

D: I'm going to have to go low on this one, when I've got to pay $10 for a sixer when I can grab a hack or paulaner for a few bucks less and know I'm going to enjoy it more.

This came as a big shock and disappointment to me, because all of the other brews I've had from victory has been really tasty and bold, this one just screams mediocrity. Sorry Victory.

10-19-2008 07:11:20 | More by ChillMike
TonyVic

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Good pour, copper red with a a good head, although it dissipated quickly. Caramel and malty notes on the nose. The mouthfeel has a medium body. I was not a fan of the taste though as the balance between the malt and hops was out of wack and left a slightly astringent finish.

10-24-2010 22:30:59 | More by TonyVic
GnomeKing

2.85/5  rDev -23%

I'm surprised how thick and heavy this is. The moutfeel is surprisingly creamy, and the beer goes down heavy. This is not what I wanted out of a marzen. The taste is grainy, with a little hops and a little maltiness. There's not much to say. It goes down hard, but the taste isn't complex enough or stron enough to explain why it goes down that way. Eh, Oktoberfest only comes once a year.

09-09-2005 03:42:35 | More by GnomeKing
Beaver13

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev -23%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is toasted biscuit malts, carmel, and some grassy slightly minty hops.

The flavor is slightly sweet toasted biscuit malts with a dry, slightly bitter (minty), finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not a bad Oktoberfest. I'm finding I don't much care for the style. I don't like the toasted biscuit flavors.

09-26-2008 01:45:09 | More by Beaver13
IceTrey9785

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Part of my Oktoberfest collection -- poured a 12oz bottle into a nice beer stein. I enjoyed this with Brats...

A: If poured blind I would have said this was a Yuengling. Nice orangey-gold color. Pretty good head, but rather stiff and airy. The foam never really went away, but didn't add to the overall presentation. Maybe closer to an Amber lager?

S: Very crisp and malty. I expected this beer to be a little on the sweet side, some yeast and sweet bread notes were overwhelming. Traces of alcohol at the end. Appetizing, not overdone.

T&M: Rather thin and watery. Lacked the bold mouthfeel that I was really expecting. I found it be lacking in flavor -- a lot lighter, and crisper than what I was hoping. Touches of brown sugar dusted cinnamon rolls hit me on the finish (along with a metallic twang). The hops were a little too overbearing -- I got a bone dry sensation after a few minutes. Overall, I just found it to taste rather cheap and watered down, but with huge potential.

Perhaps I just had a bad bottle? I don't know. All I really know is that I wasn't impressed by this brew. I paid $10 for a beer that tasted like a Yuengling (which I could've gotten for half the price). Is it a bad beer -- no, its just a beer that lacks concentration and leaves a mild-mannered impression. Hopefully next year's will be up to par.

06-07-2009 21:43:58 | More by IceTrey9785