Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros

FrancsnBeans, Aug 21, 2014

Bono09, Dec 21, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

harrylee773, Sep 06, 2012
1.83/5  rDev -50.4%

Let me first say that I am a fan of the Victory offerings...Not this one. Tasted like a nice Paulaner ruined by adding Water and corn syrup.

A: Medium Brown, Amber, very small quickly disappearing head, no lacing.

B: Not overwhelming, mild roasted malt, hazelnut

T: Blah, boring watery, not much flavor followed by slight bitterness. The aftertaste reminded me of diet Coke.

M: Water! Might quench thirst on a summer day, but this is an Octoberfest brew, right?

D: The highlight perhaps is they are drinkable, but who'd want to?, certainly not I.

jstilwell, Jan 03, 2009

PrimScrewhead, Jan 18, 2012

BeerThursdays, Nov 17, 2011

Beershack, Jul 21, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured little to no head on an amber body. Smells were very sweet, malty, maple syrup, caramel and a touch of floral. Sadly, those did not translate over to taste, which was dominated by a distinct unappealing dusty and skunkiness. Overpowers anything else in there. Also remarkably flat for the style.

I'm guessing that I got a bad bottle. I hope I did, as otherwise this is big disappointment.

ibashmuck, Oct 08, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

having enjoyed many victory beers in the past and many more oktoberfests, this beer proved to be a great dissapointment. The taste reminds me of a skunky cheap domestic lager. i would recomend not drinking this beer. I wrote the manufacturer an email as i was so offended by the taste and quality of this product.
it contained very to little head in a pour from bottle to tulip glass, color was a slight copper-amber tone. little to no taste but that of skunk. not much aftertaste, allowing for the posibilty to finish a glass; give a six-pack a few days. not recommended.

rushpatrick, Oct 14, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -39%

fbloise77, Dec 18, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -39%

vinny21bal, Dec 27, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

I like that fact that they wanted to create something for the Oktoberfest season but, I don't know if this beer really fits that perspective or not. It's more along the lines of a Pilsner than a Marzen. The flavors that Victory came up with her are most definitely German but I don't think that it was the best way to go in making this brew. It was also a little too weak for a beer in the fall season.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -35%

Poured to an amber color; good head.

Malty nose. Some spice. Nothing terribly special...

Spices in taste, and flavorful but too bitter. Not much about this I really like. It's flavors are robust but bitter, and the spices taste off.

Good body, but the spices linger too long and don't taste fresh--that's the best way to describe them. It's like Victory used expired dry spices.

Overall, I'm not impressed.

Kooz, Oct 06, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -33.6%

Musty malt/old sneaker smell. Crystal amber color. No lasting head at all. Sweet chewy malt flavor with a smidge of hops. Very dissapointing effort for one of my favorite breweries. The label says victory but the taste is not one of a victory product. Overly sweet, unbalenced, and no head retention at all. Like sweet syrup.

frank4sail, Dec 06, 2002
2.45/5  rDev -33.6%

I'm actually disappointed. I LOVE Victory's offerings...but this one is just WEIRD! Maybe I got a "bad bottle?!" (Don't think so though) Tastes kinda like dirt, with a little bit of old hops added. Not sure what this beer is... The worst Octoberfest I've ever had...so far, and I really hate to say it. Again, Victory is a wonderful brewery, and this is THE FIRST of theirs that I've had that I don't like. Maybe it's not me, 'cause my buddy DID say he's tried it, and hated it as well?!.... Sorry friends. I don't recommend this....unless you like a "dirty"-tasting Oct-fest. Sorry Victory friends. Cheers and SAAAALUTE my BA friends!!!

musicjustintime, Oct 02, 2007