2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

FestbierFestbier

good

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,296 | Reviews: 696 | Show All Ratings:
RussBecker1

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Pours a somewhat cloudy orange. Much more colorful than a number of other marzens I have had. It is also a good deal lighter, and reflects light in a pretty fashion. Maybe a 1-2 finger white head that was decently thicker than I expected. Little to no lacing to be had however.

S-Not the most appealing smell. The malts are the most apparent, but they appear to be roasted slightly too much, as the caramel and toffee flavorings are too burnt for my taste. There are hints of light fruit (something muted like a banana although that is not quite it).

M-Nothing too special. Carbonated enough to make it easy to drink, but it neither enhances nor detracts from the experience.

T-Very bland for a marzen. As to be expected, European marzens have ten time the flavor (German/Austrian), but even for an American style marzen, this fest beer did not make much of an impression. The tastes did not mix, and it was surprisingly bitter for a beer of this style. As expected, the malts were too smokey which left an undesirable taste.

O-Had it not been described as an oktoberfest then I may have seen this beer differently, but overall I will avoid festbeer in the future

09-20-2012 15:30:36 | More by RussBecker1
littlelorib

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Clear reddish amber with a thin wheat colored head that rather quickly diminishes. Smell mostly of malt but not overpowering amounts of malt. There's also something else there (hops?) that my poorly developed olfactory machinery has trouble sorting out. Taste is substantial and well balanced, with that malt detected in the smell balanced by a pleasing amount of hop bitterness.

Overall, nothing about this beer really jumps out at me except that it is an enjoyable beer.

10-12-2011 00:14:45 | More by littlelorib
djeffbee

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber body with an off-white head.

Smell: Toasted and caramel malts a slight fruity aroma.

Taste: Mostly malt with a slight caramel presence. Nicely bitter and a surprisingly drier finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Appropriate carbonation for this example and style.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and a year-round offering that is a nice find when looking for something malty during the warmer months of the year.

Cheers!

09-12-2007 01:31:10 | More by djeffbee
AlexanderSelby

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

With a delightfully dense amber color, Festbier's appearance is beautiful and on-point for the style. The hops sneak themselves behind the sweet and buttery first wave and barely hit the side of your tongue with slight bitterness, but then the malts come back for the finally. The flavor is too unbalanced for me, weighing heavily on the malty sweet, almost buttered bread, side.

Overall, Festbier is a malty, buttered bread experience that spoils my appetite, especially during a big Octoberfest celebration where you are encouraged to drink a few rounds. I am, however, tasting this offering on the later end of it's life-span, so it is very likely the hop flavor has subsided, thus creating an imbalance.

01-04-2011 19:40:51 | More by AlexanderSelby
BlackJeremiah

4.18/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Reddish-copper in hue. A cap of persistent bubbles, fed by a few constant streamers.

S: Great whopping malts here. Biscuit, rye bread, sweet grains--like a European bakery. Slight citrus/orange notes, very understated.

T: Big, smooth malts are inviting and delicious. Hops enter a bit of the way in, rounding out the middle of this one. Nice balance, really chewy malt flavors.

M: A bit thicker and chewier body than some other O-fests I've tried. However, this characteristic fits the big ol' Old World malt flavor.

D: I love this time of year--so many highly drinkable O-fests. I've been particularly impressed with the American offerings this year, and this one is no exception.

10-03-2006 22:20:54 | More by BlackJeremiah
saccro

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A - amber/orange color. Nice layer of foam sticks around.

S - very bready. slight hop. sweet malt aroma.

T - sweet. a little too sweet. clean. no hop flavor. slight bitterness. Slight astringent? aftertaste.

M - medium carbonation. thick

D - not bad. a bit too sweet for me.

01-29-2010 01:05:29 | More by saccro
jstilwell

1.83/5  rDev -50.5%

Let me first say that I am a fan of the Victory offerings...Not this one. Tasted like a nice Paulaner ruined by adding Water and corn syrup.

A: Medium Brown, Amber, very small quickly disappearing head, no lacing.

B: Not overwhelming, mild roasted malt, hazelnut

T: Blah, boring watery, not much flavor followed by slight bitterness. The aftertaste reminded me of diet Coke.

M: Water! Might quench thirst on a summer day, but this is an Octoberfest brew, right?

D: The highlight perhaps is they are drinkable, but who'd want to?, certainly not I.

01-03-2009 00:57:22 | More by jstilwell
victory4me

Poured into a standard shaker.

Pours a clear brown with two fingers of head that dissipate quickly with little lacing. Bready aromas of pumpernickle and seedless rye. Spicy yeast quality shines through, which is totally unexpected.

The flavors of brown bread are in the forefront, but a really terrific spicy flavors shine through and bring out nuances that I never expected. Mouthfeel is prickly from the spice and carbonation.

A truly well put together and interesting take on the style. A beer I will keep coming back to as the leaves change year after year. Well done, Victory.

09-02-2011 02:09:04 | More by victory4me
mgironta

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This brew was a clear amber color with minimal head and active carbonation. There was no real lacing to speak of. The first thing that I noticed was that this brew was a little thin and not what I would consider for the body of an Oktoberfest. On the nose, I got…nothing. No joke. Not a thing. It was like sniffing water. Maybe if I thought really hard about it, I could get some sort of earthiness and a hint of sweetness. But, it would be a reach. The taste is primarily watery, just how it looked. I didn’t get a lot of taste on it. Maybe some sweet malt on the taste and a hint of earthiness? I’m surprised about the lack of flavor in this brew. I didn’t really like it and would not get it again. Definitely underflavored.

09-17-2012 01:36:33 | More by mgironta
stingo

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A very nice offering from Victory - a bit thicker/chewier than its German counterparts, it fills the stomach quicker, but not without some great taste. Nice light caramel throughout with a dash of hops at the back to round out the flavor. Definitely a beer to have with food (pizza and/or pretzels come to mind) as well as on its own.

03-11-2004 02:51:38 | More by stingo
Tbone

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a crystal clear copper with a big fizzy head that dissapates quickly.
There's a slight barley odor and taste. It does have a characteristic German lager character. However, its a lot less malty, toasty and full bodied than I like to see in a Octoberfest, and a lot less bold than I expected from Victory.
To be honest there's a quality of the smell and taste that reminds me of Anheiser Busch (that's a bad thing).

This is the least impressive product I've had from Victory.

Its a slightly above average beer that should be the hands-down best of its style to justify the extravagant price of $10/sixer.

09-26-2006 02:57:37 | More by Tbone
brewbucker

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Original tasting - Nov 12, 2007. Pours a darkish copper with a thin head. Aroma is over sweetened malts, sort of a faint vomit smell. Flavor also has an overpowering sweetness of malts, grains and caramel syrup. I think this the first beer from Victory I have not been impressed with.

12-16-2008 00:53:02 | More by brewbucker
JMWEB2

A: Nice copper body, decent head with some lacing.

S: Very toasty malt smelly, some nuttiness, little earthy.

T: Toasty and malty, very traditional Marzen, quite tasty.

M: Medium body and very clean.

O: Victory strikes again, great fall beer, traditional American Marzen beer.

10-16-2011 23:14:30 | More by JMWEB2
Starchild

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured this beer into a pint and my what a huge frothy head. The body was deep red amber. This looks the part, so how does it taste? This beer had an extremely clean and smooth, yet slightly sweet beginning. By my third sip, the beer's complexity becomes apparent. I started tasting that true caramel nut Oktoberfest. The beer ends gets a bit bitter, but smoothes out by the end. Enjoyable.

11-27-2003 01:41:52 | More by Starchild
delicious

Vermont

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Amber body with a short lived, thin fizzy head.
The nose is thinly malty and a bit doughy.
The taste is a little sweet and juicy, and kind of reminds me of red apples, which is perfect for this time of year. There's some hops at the end, but that's not where any emphasis lies. It's not very complicated, but the fruitiness and buttery mouthfeel make it so drinkable that I just don't care.

09-23-2006 02:59:55 | More by delicious
JTWILDOATS

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Well...that time of year is already winding down, but I still have a few Oktoberfest brews to try. I'm usually very satisfied with Victory--but this Marzen was just okay.

Pours a rich gold haze, but the head and carbonation quickly fizzles away.

Smells just like a heavy Marzen--good stuff, plenty of caramel malt, an apple essence, and a sweetness.

Sips a nice sweet lager at first, but there is some strange, unexplainable metallic flavor that lingers long after. I like the warming effect on the palate that resonates after each taste, but the finish itself is fairly flat and watery.

If you're into the style, it's worth a try.

11-04-2009 01:05:38 | More by JTWILDOATS
Extrajoker00

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Served in a pilsner glass

Review from notes: Beer Tasting 09-23-2011

A : Brownish amber with a thin head

S : roasted malt and caramel

T : Sweet roasted and caramel

M : Smooth and a slow finish

D : Left me wanting more

I felt this was a good Oktoberfest and would recommend

09-25-2011 02:29:21 | More by Extrajoker00
FrothyBeverage

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Beer has a very bold rich autum color. Froty head and numerus happybubble to the top of the glass. Smells of clove,pumkin, and spices. Very distinguished flavors in the taste. Carmel and harvest tones make this beer tasty. Has a very smooth mouthfeel and goes down fast. I find this to be a quaility beer, victory usually produces excellent beers.

09-22-2009 20:05:34 | More by FrothyBeverage
GregBrewski

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Light copper color, with a small peach colored head. Smelled of malt and something sweet like honey possibly, mild hints of spice as well. It tasted just like it smelled, with a light and refreshing feel. I could easily down a few of these (low ABV and very watery consistency). As far as compared to other brews of this style it is not the best but worth a try.

10-27-2006 01:35:45 | More by GregBrewski
BeerLover48Fan

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%

This one poured a very nice light orange amber with a good looking two inch plus head on the top. Ample carbonation was kept alive throughout which really gave it great retention and helped to keep the lively look of it going. A nice bit of side glass lace was apparent, but the real story here was the complete and total clarity of the color and the great hue to it overall. A very nice, classic looking lager here. I have only tried two Victory beers, Prima Pils was my first but I like Festbier a whole lot more. A great seasonal that should be a year round beer

09-18-2007 10:40:29 | More by BeerLover48Fan
gthornton

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love this brewery, and can never say enough good things about them, so I will attempt to keep my flowery affection for them contained in this paragraph... but I must emphasize the overal quality of this brewery, you can taste the quality of ingredients and recipe in all of their beers, so grab them all.

A: Amber brown, with a light tint of orange/red. Fizzy head evaporated within a few minutes after initial pour

S: Biscuit, wheat, caramel, and toffee, with a well balanced, very mild hop characteristic. A hint of fresh cut grass... in a good way.

T: The freshness, and quality, and balance are immediately apparent here. The biscuit and lighter malts are the most notable, and the sweetness of the caramel and toffee balance those out nicely.

M: A very rich, and smooth texture. Very clean finish.

D: This style is designed for heavy consumption, and this might be my favorite rendition of that style. Perhaps a little sweet, and less carbonated than others, but a great fest beer nonetheless.

01-30-2010 08:30:58 | More by gthornton
IceTrey9785

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Part of my Oktoberfest collection -- poured a 12oz bottle into a nice beer stein. I enjoyed this with Brats...

A: If poured blind I would have said this was a Yuengling. Nice orangey-gold color. Pretty good head, but rather stiff and airy. The foam never really went away, but didn't add to the overall presentation. Maybe closer to an Amber lager?

S: Very crisp and malty. I expected this beer to be a little on the sweet side, some yeast and sweet bread notes were overwhelming. Traces of alcohol at the end. Appetizing, not overdone.

T&M: Rather thin and watery. Lacked the bold mouthfeel that I was really expecting. I found it be lacking in flavor -- a lot lighter, and crisper than what I was hoping. Touches of brown sugar dusted cinnamon rolls hit me on the finish (along with a metallic twang). The hops were a little too overbearing -- I got a bone dry sensation after a few minutes. Overall, I just found it to taste rather cheap and watered down, but with huge potential.

Perhaps I just had a bad bottle? I don't know. All I really know is that I wasn't impressed by this brew. I paid $10 for a beer that tasted like a Yuengling (which I could've gotten for half the price). Is it a bad beer -- no, its just a beer that lacks concentration and leaves a mild-mannered impression. Hopefully next year's will be up to par.

06-07-2009 21:43:58 | More by IceTrey9785
tophers

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer was too dry for me without the malt backbone that I was expecting. The bitterness didn't seem to blend with the malt very well. I really enjoy Victory beers so I was a little disappointed with this one.

a: Deep amber in color and mostly transparent but a little hazy. Head is not very long lasting and is white in appearance. Ring of head around the glass.

s: Malt aroma consists of a raisin and Munich. Some earthy hop aroma detected. No esters.

t: Dominant malt flavor that is toasty and bready in nature. Some floral hop flavor. Moderate amount of hop bitterness that seems to be more noticeable in the aftertaste.

m: Moderately high carbonation with a moderately light body. Fairly dry finish that may be due to a bit of astringency.

10-25-2012 23:00:02 | More by tophers
dertyd

4.7/5  rDev +27%

12 oz bottle to a pint glass

A-rusty copper with lots of bubbles little head and no laceing

S-sweet malts,figs,dried fruit

T-sweet malts,figs,grassy citruss verry well ballanced

M-nice and crisp

Overall
A verry good beer from victory they haven't done me rong yet I will drink this one again

02-03-2013 08:30:27 | More by dertyd
tboom29

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

It's time for Oktoberfest biers, and this is a great example of one. I poured it into my imperial pint and it was a dark copper, brown color. Not much in the way of head retention.

The nose was full of biscuity malt. There were a bit of hops I felt as well.

The taste is definitely about the malt. They are fairly big, nice and biscuity with carmel notes throughout. A good amount of yeast overtones as well. The nose is confirmed with a slight hoppiness in the flavor. There is a fairly creamy mouthfeel to this beer, which makes it enjoyable. I definetly recommend this for any O-Fest (not o-face, that's something else) fans. Pairs well with any of your classic german fare.

09-22-2006 21:39:41 | More by tboom29