Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

FestbierFestbier

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 733 | Hads: 1,705
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

I might have gotten a bad 6er because we had this at Octoberfest night for beer club and somehting was off in the aroma and the taste was much harsh (hoppy not malty), might have gone skunky on us? (199 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours an ordinary copper with a thin, quickly dissipating head. I can't really put my finger on the smell, like a funky malt sweet smell, almost like the smell I get from some of DFH's funkier products (think Midas Touch). Whatever it is, it really doesn't appeal to me.

Medium body, malty and biscuity. Not a whole lot of spiciness or hoppiness here, but the body doesn't stand out all that well. A far thinner body than I recall from my last time tasting, I never thought I'd call a Victory offering "watery", but that's the impression I'm getting. It's pretty clean, but there's not a lot behind it. Feels a little dead, could use some more carbonation. Easily sessionable, but this time around I get so much worse an impression than when I first tried it this year that I wonder if my bottle didn't hold up in the 2 months since purchase. (843 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle. Copper in color with a nice head. Good head retention, streaky/spotty lacing. Aroma is... weird. It resolves to a caramel aroma, but it definitely starts out with a strong grape juice note (I shit you not). The flavor is similarly unspectacular, though it isn't offensive. While it clearly has the taste of an all-malt lager, the finish is lifeless and devoid of character, and there's little hop character. Very bland for the style.

I'm now reminded of why I haven't picked up Victory's O-Fest offering in a while -- it simply isn't any good. Very disappointing beer from a usually strong brewery. (627 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured into a regular pint glass this beer produced a amber hue with a short lasting 1 finger white head. The aroma smells like like malts and perhaps sugar/something sweet. The carbonation is light but the taste is not great. I felt like this beer really goes outside of the regular Marzen characterization. Unfortunately this is not a repeat for me. (351 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%

Purchased a sixer from Avalon Liquors. Took the good part of two months to finish during fishing trips (that is a bad impression, by the way. Paulaner, on the other hand was all drank the first non-striper catchin day)
Cloudy amber bad retention and lacing.
Caramelly malt and some unknown chalkiness in the aroma
Caramel and chalky malt. Overall rather limp with the same crappy hop that mister Cleveland0 detected.
The only Victory brew that's been difficult to finish.
Doesn't have the complexity and mouthfeel of the good to great O'fests out there, average all around. (578 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into my Oktoberfest Maßkrug

A: Appears as a traditional Marze, a somewhat murky reddish orange color with a decent off-white head that recedes fairly quickly but does leave just enough lace around the glass.

S: Smells of bread, caramels, sweet malts and that's about all I'm getting out of it, just your standard Oktoberfest beer.

T: Fairly heavy on the dough flavor and sort of a bitter hop tint to it as well, and a bit of a floral aftertone. Nothing too special.

MF: Again nothing really stands out about this one. It's not really bad by any means but there really isn't anything great about it either.

D: I'm going to have to go low on this one, when I've got to pay $10 for a sixer when I can grab a hack or paulaner for a few bucks less and know I'm going to enjoy it more.

This came as a big shock and disappointment to me, because all of the other brews I've had from victory has been really tasty and bold, this one just screams mediocrity. Sorry Victory. (979 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%

Very nice amber pour - very appetizing color. Head collapsed within minutes despite a perfectly clean glass. The dissipated foam then took on an unappetizing feel - looks like it actuall has floaties in it.

Taste is OK - I had expected more. Very malty and dry - almost over-hopped. I'm missing a bit of sweetness. I keep pouring, hoping that the head will build - too cold? No lacing, and I give up trying to make this more appealing.

Mouthfeel is good, I suppose average for the style. The aftertaste is rather unpleasant, with a bit of metallic. Where are the aroma hops? Now i know it's overhopped, as my teeth are grinding like an IPA - definately not in accordance to style.

I have heard much from Victory, but I just don't get this one. I do like the style, but this is off. A bit too free-wheeling in the interpretation of Festbier. (843 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle DD 24 Dec 14 at 40 degrees into snifter
Aroma of malt
Head small (<1 cm), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring
Lacing none
Body medium orange, chill haze
Flavor of malt; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 2.75, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 2.75, Overall 2.8125. Final weighted score: 2.8125.
Chill haze and tiny head/no lacing detract from appearance. The malt overpowers the hops resulting in an unbalanced brew. Carbonation is just a little too lively, bordering on aggressive. (559 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%

I'm surprised how thick and heavy this is. The moutfeel is surprisingly creamy, and the beer goes down heavy. This is not what I wanted out of a marzen. The taste is grainy, with a little hops and a little maltiness. There's not much to say. It goes down hard, but the taste isn't complex enough or stron enough to explain why it goes down that way. Eh, Oktoberfest only comes once a year. (389 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is toasted biscuit malts, carmel, and some grassy slightly minty hops.

The flavor is slightly sweet toasted biscuit malts with a dry, slightly bitter (minty), finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not a bad Oktoberfest. I'm finding I don't much care for the style. I don't like the toasted biscuit flavors. (477 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Good pour, copper red with a a good head, although it dissipated quickly. Caramel and malty notes on the nose. The mouthfeel has a medium body. I was not a fan of the taste though as the balance between the malt and hops was out of wack and left a slightly astringent finish. (275 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a reddish orange with a fizzy white head.

The smell is of oxidized fruits and caramel.

The taste is a bit bland, it starts with a mineral water character and moves into a doughy sweetness with a bit of bitterness.

This beer hardly excites me, one of the more forgettable Oktoberfest beers. (316 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

A pretty average oktoberfest, IMO. Poured up nicely with an orange bronze colour and a foamy sand coloured head. Smell was honestly a little BMC-ish with a bit of sweet malt. Taste, Mouthfeel, and Drinkability are all pretty average. Overall, this wasn't bad, but honestly, I wasn't impressed. (293 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

Part of my Oktoberfest collection -- poured a 12oz bottle into a nice beer stein. I enjoyed this with Brats...

A: If poured blind I would have said this was a Yuengling. Nice orangey-gold color. Pretty good head, but rather stiff and airy. The foam never really went away, but didn't add to the overall presentation. Maybe closer to an Amber lager?

S: Very crisp and malty. I expected this beer to be a little on the sweet side, some yeast and sweet bread notes were overwhelming. Traces of alcohol at the end. Appetizing, not overdone.

T&M: Rather thin and watery. Lacked the bold mouthfeel that I was really expecting. I found it be lacking in flavor -- a lot lighter, and crisper than what I was hoping. Touches of brown sugar dusted cinnamon rolls hit me on the finish (along with a metallic twang). The hops were a little too overbearing -- I got a bone dry sensation after a few minutes. Overall, I just found it to taste rather cheap and watered down, but with huge potential.

Perhaps I just had a bad bottle? I don't know. All I really know is that I wasn't impressed by this brew. I paid $10 for a beer that tasted like a Yuengling (which I could've gotten for half the price). Is it a bad beer -- no, its just a beer that lacks concentration and leaves a mild-mannered impression. Hopefully next year's will be up to par. (1,335 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%

With a delightfully dense amber color, Festbier's appearance is beautiful and on-point for the style. The hops sneak themselves behind the sweet and buttery first wave and barely hit the side of your tongue with slight bitterness, but then the malts come back for the finally. The flavor is too unbalanced for me, weighing heavily on the malty sweet, almost buttered bread, side.

Overall, Festbier is a malty, buttered bread experience that spoils my appetite, especially during a big Octoberfest celebration where you are encouraged to drink a few rounds. I am, however, tasting this offering on the later end of it's life-span, so it is very likely the hop flavor has subsided, thus creating an imbalance. (709 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -21%

12oz bottle into nonic.

The only head on this beer was a really thin off white one that vanished to nothing. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma is more along the lines of what I expected. A bit of caramel and some brown sugar. Seems a little bland though.

The plainness is repeated in the flavor. The caramel and candy sugar is there like in the aroma, but it's not very robust. The flavor doesn't last long either. The finish is just a bit of biscuity grains. Lighter bodied with average carbonation. Seems a bit watery.

I was expecting a little better from Victory. This one seemed boring, to sum it up in one word. The flavors were there, they just weren't anything to be excited about. Not recommended. (710 characters)

average ... thats what I got from this beer.

Pours a dark copper with little to no head. Almost a translucent carmel.

I dont get much from the smell. Some sweetness and a little spice. Not much there.

A little biting, may be due to the alcohol content. Tastes like the smell. Not a whole lot there. Wish there was more to talk about. Some sweet, no real hops. Little malty with some spice finish.

Average. Carbonation and bite may be a little more than desirable.

Overall I would rather move forward from this beer than drink it again. Not bad, simply not something worth coming back to. (602 characters)

Pours clear amber with a short head. Pleasant lager aroma; sweet caramel, straw, and corn. Taste is watery and flat for the style. Bread dough, metal, graham cracker, and corn. Wanted more and didn't get it. I am convicnced that marzens and me just do not go together. (268 characters)

Clear amber with full head that completely vanished. Aroma mostly of caramel malts. Victory has put forth a big sturdy malt base for this beer... and leaves it at that. No appetizing hop dryness, no traditional spiciness. Just a sweet syrup of a beer, hints of butter but cloying. Well-made but ho-hum, esp. for Victory. Drinkability low for a Fest, since the hops do not pull their weight in creating a dry tasty finish or spiciness. Not bad by any means, in fact those who don't warm to O'Fests might actually enjoy this especially if they roam around the dopplebock end of the spectrum. May also be good for cooking. (619 characters)

a: a dark burnt amber orange color, with some mild hints of ruby red & purple. a .5 finger head that fades to just some thin bubbles on top (i've seen better heads)

s: smells of a rich earthy caramel. there is some juicy hops in here? aroma is dominated by sweet caramel malts

t: flavors are a little tough to pick up initially. it tastes like a mix of sweet malts and something fruity - mango? quite odd. finding it a little too tough to pick up flavors

m: medium mouthfeel, not much carbonation

o: was expecting more from Victory. this is a little disappointing (wishing i didn't have a 6 pack). märzens aren't the most complex to begin with, but this is has a distinct lack of flavor. appearance could use some work too (735 characters)

Reviewed 10/5/14. BB 12/24/14.

A: Pours a dark amber w 1/2" off-white head. Fades to a tiny ring. Steady slight carbonation.

S: Sweet. Big on the roast. Slight yeasy/breadiness. Roasty, yeasty, and sweet. Smells like a brown ale.

T: Roasty, slightly tart. Not too sweet. Sweet/tart arrival, dry across mid-palate; tart flash, then bitter finish.

M: Mid-weight. Seems light for the style. Slick, lots of carbonation.

O: Of my 4 Marzen this year (GLBC, Paulaner, Sam Adams, Victory), this is my least favorite, by far. (532 characters)

A: poured into my duvel tulip, with a nice clear amber/copper body, with a thin finger of off white head that fell semi-quickly with not much lace.
S: not a powerful nose, very light grainy, nutty and bready
T: grain and nut comes through from the aroma, a bit dry cooked grain and a very light grassy hop.
M: the grain makes it seem a bit rough. carbonation fits the style.
D: mostly fits with the style but is not my favorite due to the cooked grain flavor. (461 characters)

Picked this up on a whim, I'm a sucker for seasonals.

Poured a crisp amber with an orangey hue. Thin white head and no lacing.

Smell is faintly earthy, with a faint waft of hop and yeast.

Taste is pretty average fare for the style, bittersweet with a mild hop presence, yeast is sharper than I'd like.

Mouthfeel is again average. Fairly light with a decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability here is lower for me. I can tell from others in the style what I think this should be - clean, crisp, with a light hop feel and a nice and easy mouthfeel and drinkability. I can't say that this doesn't match that profile, but what I can say is that it doesn't do it very well, at least the way I like it. Theres better out there but this is a good try. (751 characters)

Poured into my Surly pint.

Pours an amber red with a full finger and a half of off white foam. Dissipates rather quickly. Lots of caramel malt in the nose. Biscuit too. Rather ho hum malty flavor. I wish I could be more positive or negative. This beer is rather average at best. (279 characters)

Unlike several American takes on o-fests, like Flying Fish and Brooklyn, which have a great hoppy finish, this beer beer seems to be very true to what I recall of real German o-fests. Very malty, somewhat sweet and not very hoppy. The result is a beer that is very well made, very true to the style, but to my tastes not very satisfying. Not by any means dumbed down, but not smarted up either.

Heaven knows Victory has more than enough great beers to keep us beer geeks more than happy.This one though is probably made to keep their less adventurous brewpub patrons content. (578 characters)

Festbier from Victory Brewing Company