Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros
2.61/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The color and head look promising. After that I'd have to agree with previous reviewers that this is sub-par for Victory. Not as clean as a Marzen should be IMHO. Some diacetyl is detected and I thought while drinking that it might be an ale. Just verified via the Victory site that it's indeed a lager. Not bad, but very unVictory like.

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

I have loved the Victory label, so I was excited to give this beer a whirl. The best I can say of this beer is that it is unremarkable. It certainly lacks complexity. I am certain it's intent is a munich-like style Octoberfest, but falls a bit flat. It looks wonderful, pours great, but generally stops there. The slightly malty nose is also a nice compliment. The taste seems hopless with some floral and fruit (Pear/apples?) undertones. It is medium bodied and copper colored and has a bit of a dry finish. I love Octoberfest beers, but this one left me a bit flat.

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle

Appearance: Orange-Copper in pour, with a good size head. Good amount of carbonation in the glass.

Smell: A bit of dough and very malty. Cannot smell any hop addition.

Taste: Definitely a lager. Malts are toasted, a little carmel and a grassy hop on the palate. Finishes dry and would have been good with some bready food.

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Heavy Seas pint glass, no freshness date, $1.90/bottle in NH

Pour-Pours a small head that quickly fades to a washy film with a thin ring of bubbles. Deep copper with a little less of an orange color. A faint stream of large effervescence bubbles here and there. Essentially no lacing that sticks.

Nose-Caramel malt for sure with just a hint of skunky musty aroma. There seems to be just a touch of dark fruit. The spice aroma is a little bit subdued.

Palate-Sweet right away followed by a hint of sour and some noticeable bitterness. The taste is predominantly rich caramel malts. The lingering qualities are fairly short. The sweetness is a little bit fruity and off. Alcohol, despite the low percentage is slightly warming and noticeable.

Body-Medium to heavy, very little effervescence renders this one a tad closer to syrupy in texture. It is sort of creamy but has a slightly drying finish.

Final-I’m not really sure what to make of this. Out of all of the Marzen’s I’ve tried this probably has the least amount of bubbles in it. I’m not sure I personally like it, due to the odd sweetness, but there is nothing in there to severely offend anyone. It’s fairly balanced though a little bit off kilter on the sweetness, but overall worth a go for the price if you don’t mind a fairly “flat” Marzen. Maybe this bottle wasn’t any good, because I know it wasn’t old and my review seems quite contrary to the others.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%

Well past its Enjoy by date, this poured a hazy amber into a pint glass with thin head. Not much aroma at all, a faint yeasty smell is all I can discern.

Taste is not much better. I generally like Victory's beers, but this isn't fantastic. Fairly sweet, but lighter in the mouth than I like, almost watery consistency. Carbonation there, but it doesn't add much.

All in all, not my favorite Oktoberfest by any stretch. I had to force myself to finish it.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a dark amber color with some copper as well. A thin 1 finger thick of bone white head forms on top but quickly dissipates to a white surface layer on top.

Sour grapefruits hit my nose first along with a bit of brown caramel malt. A slight bit of spice maybe (cinnamon) but nothing too apparent.

Sipping reveals a less sweet flavor than I expected from the style. The caramel maltiness is there along with a mild floral flavor.

More full-bodied than expected. Nice balance but somewhat of a "weird" feel that I can't truly explain from this one. Perhaps this is a "bad batch" or something, but it is nothing like a 'Fest brew that I've had before.

Overall, one is enough for me. Not one of my favorite Fest brews ever by any means. I hate to slam a beer, but this one just misses the mark completely for me.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

I might have gotten a bad 6er because we had this at Octoberfest night for beer club and somehting was off in the aroma and the taste was much harsh (hoppy not malty), might have gone skunky on us?

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours an ordinary copper with a thin, quickly dissipating head. I can't really put my finger on the smell, like a funky malt sweet smell, almost like the smell I get from some of DFH's funkier products (think Midas Touch). Whatever it is, it really doesn't appeal to me.

Medium body, malty and biscuity. Not a whole lot of spiciness or hoppiness here, but the body doesn't stand out all that well. A far thinner body than I recall from my last time tasting, I never thought I'd call a Victory offering "watery", but that's the impression I'm getting. It's pretty clean, but there's not a lot behind it. Feels a little dead, could use some more carbonation. Easily sessionable, but this time around I get so much worse an impression than when I first tried it this year that I wonder if my bottle didn't hold up in the 2 months since purchase.

2.76/5  rDev -25%

2.76/5  rDev -25%

2.77/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into a regular pint glass this beer produced a amber hue with a short lasting 1 finger white head. The aroma smells like like malts and perhaps sugar/something sweet. The carbonation is light but the taste is not great. I felt like this beer really goes outside of the regular Marzen characterization. Unfortunately this is not a repeat for me.

2.77/5  rDev -24.7%

Purchased a sixer from Avalon Liquors. Took the good part of two months to finish during fishing trips (that is a bad impression, by the way. Paulaner, on the other hand was all drank the first non-striper catchin day)
Cloudy amber bad retention and lacing.
Caramelly malt and some unknown chalkiness in the aroma
Caramel and chalky malt. Overall rather limp with the same crappy hop that mister Cleveland0 detected.
The only Victory brew that's been difficult to finish.
Doesn't have the complexity and mouthfeel of the good to great O'fests out there, average all around.

Festbier from Victory Brewing Company