Festbier - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festbier Alström Bros

ThePopper, Oct 18, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

I might have gotten a bad 6er because we had this at Octoberfest night for beer club and somehting was off in the aroma and the taste was much harsh (hoppy not malty), might have gone skunky on us?

BoilerMo, Sep 03, 2014

2.76/5  rDev -25.2%

rbail012, Saturday at 10:34 PM
2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into my Oktoberfest Maßkrug

A: Appears as a traditional Marze, a somewhat murky reddish orange color with a decent off-white head that recedes fairly quickly but does leave just enough lace around the glass.

S: Smells of bread, caramels, sweet malts and that's about all I'm getting out of it, just your standard Oktoberfest beer.

T: Fairly heavy on the dough flavor and sort of a bitter hop tint to it as well, and a bit of a floral aftertone. Nothing too special.

MF: Again nothing really stands out about this one. It's not really bad by any means but there really isn't anything great about it either.

D: I'm going to have to go low on this one, when I've got to pay $10 for a sixer when I can grab a hack or paulaner for a few bucks less and know I'm going to enjoy it more.

This came as a big shock and disappointment to me, because all of the other brews I've had from victory has been really tasty and bold, this one just screams mediocrity. Sorry Victory.

ChillMike, Oct 19, 2008
2.81/5  rDev -23.8%

Bottle DD 24 Dec 14 at 40 degrees into snifter
Aroma of malt
Head small (<1 cm), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring
Lacing none
Body medium orange, chill haze
Flavor of malt; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 2.75, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 2.75, Overall 2.8125. Final weighted score: 2.8125.
Chill haze and tiny head/no lacing detract from appearance. The malt overpowers the hops resulting in an unbalanced brew. Carbonation is just a little too lively, bordering on aggressive.

Ozzylizard, Sep 03, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

Good pour, copper red with a a good head, although it dissipated quickly. Caramel and malty notes on the nose. The mouthfeel has a medium body. I was not a fan of the taste though as the balance between the malt and hops was out of wack and left a slightly astringent finish.

TonyVic, Oct 24, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is toasted biscuit malts, carmel, and some grassy slightly minty hops.

The flavor is slightly sweet toasted biscuit malts with a dry, slightly bitter (minty), finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not a bad Oktoberfest. I'm finding I don't much care for the style. I don't like the toasted biscuit flavors.

Beaver13, Sep 26, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

I'm surprised how thick and heavy this is. The moutfeel is surprisingly creamy, and the beer goes down heavy. This is not what I wanted out of a marzen. The taste is grainy, with a little hops and a little maltiness. There's not much to say. It goes down hard, but the taste isn't complex enough or stron enough to explain why it goes down that way. Eh, Oktoberfest only comes once a year.

GnomeKing, Sep 09, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a reddish orange with a fizzy white head.

The smell is of oxidized fruits and caramel.

The taste is a bit bland, it starts with a mineral water character and moves into a doughy sweetness with a bit of bitterness.

This beer hardly excites me, one of the more forgettable Oktoberfest beers.

crossovert, Sep 18, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

Part of my Oktoberfest collection -- poured a 12oz bottle into a nice beer stein. I enjoyed this with Brats...

A: If poured blind I would have said this was a Yuengling. Nice orangey-gold color. Pretty good head, but rather stiff and airy. The foam never really went away, but didn't add to the overall presentation. Maybe closer to an Amber lager?

S: Very crisp and malty. I expected this beer to be a little on the sweet side, some yeast and sweet bread notes were overwhelming. Traces of alcohol at the end. Appetizing, not overdone.

T&M: Rather thin and watery. Lacked the bold mouthfeel that I was really expecting. I found it be lacking in flavor -- a lot lighter, and crisper than what I was hoping. Touches of brown sugar dusted cinnamon rolls hit me on the finish (along with a metallic twang). The hops were a little too overbearing -- I got a bone dry sensation after a few minutes. Overall, I just found it to taste rather cheap and watered down, but with huge potential.

Perhaps I just had a bad bottle? I don't know. All I really know is that I wasn't impressed by this brew. I paid $10 for a beer that tasted like a Yuengling (which I could've gotten for half the price). Is it a bad beer -- no, its just a beer that lacks concentration and leaves a mild-mannered impression. Hopefully next year's will be up to par.

IceTrey9785, Jun 07, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

A pretty average oktoberfest, IMO. Poured up nicely with an orange bronze colour and a foamy sand coloured head. Smell was honestly a little BMC-ish with a bit of sweet malt. Taste, Mouthfeel, and Drinkability are all pretty average. Overall, this wasn't bad, but honestly, I wasn't impressed.

SilentSabre, Aug 29, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

With a delightfully dense amber color, Festbier's appearance is beautiful and on-point for the style. The hops sneak themselves behind the sweet and buttery first wave and barely hit the side of your tongue with slight bitterness, but then the malts come back for the finally. The flavor is too unbalanced for me, weighing heavily on the malty sweet, almost buttered bread, side.

Overall, Festbier is a malty, buttered bread experience that spoils my appetite, especially during a big Octoberfest celebration where you are encouraged to drink a few rounds. I am, however, tasting this offering on the later end of it's life-span, so it is very likely the hop flavor has subsided, thus creating an imbalance.

AlexanderSelby, Jan 04, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle into nonic.

The only head on this beer was a really thin off white one that vanished to nothing. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma is more along the lines of what I expected. A bit of caramel and some brown sugar. Seems a little bland though.

The plainness is repeated in the flavor. The caramel and candy sugar is there like in the aroma, but it's not very robust. The flavor doesn't last long either. The finish is just a bit of biscuity grains. Lighter bodied with average carbonation. Seems a bit watery.

I was expecting a little better from Victory. This one seemed boring, to sum it up in one word. The flavors were there, they just weren't anything to be excited about. Not recommended.

BeerSox, Oct 21, 2007

Turbo, Oct 13, 2013

average ... thats what I got from this beer.

Pours a dark copper with little to no head. Almost a translucent carmel.

I dont get much from the smell. Some sweetness and a little spice. Not much there.

A little biting, may be due to the alcohol content. Tastes like the smell. Not a whole lot there. Wish there was more to talk about. Some sweet, no real hops. Little malty with some spice finish.

Average. Carbonation and bite may be a little more than desirable.

Overall I would rather move forward from this beer than drink it again. Not bad, simply not something worth coming back to.

JasonA, Mar 03, 2007

Pours clear amber with a short head. Pleasant lager aroma; sweet caramel, straw, and corn. Taste is watery and flat for the style. Bread dough, metal, graham cracker, and corn. Wanted more and didn't get it. I am convicnced that marzens and me just do not go together.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008