Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013)
Reviews by Jay_Ulreich:
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a 4 pack after hearing alot about this. I gotta say I am impressed.
A-Theres alot of yeast floating around in this one, nice. Pours a hazy pale pilsner color. At 9%, it sure doesnt look like it! Appears very thin, which is intriguing. Great lacing, thin head.
S- If I didnt know any better Id say I just bought a bottle of pure pineapple juice! Delightful! upon further inspection, I get hints of peach, or apricot... possibly mango or passion fruit. Wow, I just moved it up to 4.5 from 4.25, the aroma is just epic. Cant stop smelling it. I want to bathe in it.
T- Wow! theres alot going on here. The alcohol is non existent. I taste pineapple, peach, mango... I hear the Mosaic hop gives off a hint of blueberry, and yes, I do beleive its there. What a great name for a hop, it fits the description perfectly... so many wonderful fruity flavors going on. I am really glad I just ordered a pound of Mosaic to play around with in my next home brew! This beer is fucking delicious, I need a keg of it. We have a winner, Im gonna go see if I can get all they have left of it at the liquor store.
M- for 9% this is an easy drinker, I almost gave it a lower score, but the ABV makes me say it is outstanding, They used pilsner malt in it, so its supposed to be sorta thin, they nailed it on every aspect of this beer. Victory, my hats off to you.
Overall I am in love with this beer, its not youre everyday Imperial IPA. If youre looking for a sweet not too bitter tropical/stone fruit bomb, here it is!

02-14-2014 01:50:21 | More by Jay_Ulreich
hogie7

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Phenomenal beer, an instant favorite. Gotta love the hints of citrus, so pleasing to the nostrils and palate. I bought 2 cases of this after trying it on tap at a local bar. Too bad it is seasonal, I want this year-round. I do happen to like it better than dirt wolf.

02-28-2014 03:19:28 | More by hogie7
mrz200

3.85/5  rDev -9%

This is probably the most "refreshing" DIPA I've ever had. The alcohol is extremely & dangerously well hidden. Very citrusey with an almost european/heffeweizen taste & feel. Very good beer.

That said, I don't know that I'd buy again. When I want "refreshing" I'm not reaching for a 10% ABV. And when I want a 10% ABV I'm looking for a big hop smack & bitterness and a variety of smells & flavors because I'm only drinking one or two of them. This one doesn't have that flavor punch, at least in the way so many other big IPA's do.

Apparently the hops used are kinda different, and it's noticable, and while it was certainly well crafted, maybe those aren't for me.

03-10-2014 18:10:00 | More by mrz200
Flounder57

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle was poured into a snifter.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a small layer. It is a pale yellow color with a little haziness and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tropical, floral, piney, resin, pungent, grassy, pilsner, and pale malts.

Taste: Wow!!! What a tasty brew. Everything I smelled came out on the palate. Nice mild bitterness and the alcohol is not even noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, tingly, light to medium bodied, a little chewy, and so tasty.

Overall: I have had this several times and I think it gets better. So delicious and tasty.

05-09-2014 03:32:49 | More by Flounder57
Ozzylizard

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle best by 24 May 2014 at 42 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of citrus, closest to lemon
Head average (4.5 cm), white, creamy with rocks, very slowly diminishing fading to a to 1 -2 mm layer
Lacing poor: partial rings with small to medium bubbles, stalactites
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins with a light lemony taste, slowly fading through sweetness to a light astringency. No alcohol, no diacetyl, no malt. No aftertaste is noted.
Palate light to medium, watery, carbonation lively.

This is the last bottle from the case I bought in Jan, 2014, and somehow I’ve neglected to review it. IMHO this is a much better beer than Dirtwolf, certainly having more flavor and a less noticeable hop profile. This could easily be a session beer.

05-28-2014 19:34:25 | More by Ozzylizard
oberon

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours into a standard pint a clear dull yellow with a tightly formed one finger white head,the pour was not real awe inspiring by any means.Tropical fruits in the nose along with a bit of sweet onion,very fresh and juicy smelling.Flavors of grapefruit and mango are just dripping,almost like drinking mixed fruit juice,in the finish I pick up some vidalia onion,not much of a malt presence but a decent amount of sugary sweetness.This is a big fruity,juicy hopped IPA here,way to easy to drink.

01-27-2014 22:57:31 | More by oberon

New Hampshire

01-17-2014 23:32:47 | More by JakerLou
Beerswag

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured to dogfish mini-pilsner glass. Appearance is golden with tones of yellow..smell is fruity, grapefruit, citrus, apricot..taste is smooth for suggested 9%abv. Starts sweet amd citrus, and finishes fruity, and smooth, "air-ee" light bodied creamy mouthfeel. Lemon rind and orange peel.,highlights the hop frehness and taste without being too bitter or cloying.. Lacing is foamy and sticky. Carbonation is medium, with a crisp dry feel on the finish..this is refreshing and admirable. Paired nice with kabobs-cucumber yogurt sauce, grilled meat chimmichurri, mexican corn with cotija, feta.

02-17-2014 08:15:32 | More by Beerswag