Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Ratings: 2,083 | Reviews: 352

Bright clear golden yellow color with bright white solid head. Lots of mango and Papaya on the nose, hints of Sauvignon blanc, grassy and citric.

Sweet fruitiness up front, sweet candied fruit. Malt adds a faintly syrupy body, finishes explodes with fruity hop flavor, amazing bright, medium bodied, absolutely no alcohol detection, bitterness is mild, just enough to balance the brew. Leaves the mouth watering. Didn't know it was possible to top dirt wolf but this beer is simply fantastic

very balanced between the light, biscuity pilsner malt, the juicy mosiac, and the lightly grassy and green onion notes of the azacca hop. doesn't taste or feel 9%. one of the most well-rounded imperial ipas i've had in a long while. fantastic.

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

I have to say Victory has been on its game lately Dirtwolf and now Hop Ranch their Imperial IPA is right on target. Amazing aroma of tropical fruit, and citrus, taste is right on more tropical fruit, citrus, slight pine and a bit resiny. The sticky resiny flavor really comes through in the backbone with slight malt sweetness to round out this huge IPA extremely drinkable for such a big beer, absolutely delicious!

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - Lighter color than most DIPA's. A one finger white head after a vigorous pour. Not a lot of carbonation seen in my Belgian glass.

Smell - An overwhelming smell of grapefruit from the hops. I love grapefruit taste in IPA's so the smell is a very good indication I will like this beer.

Taste - Scratch "like the beer" and replace with "love this beer". True to the smell an amazing grapefruit taste. I can't believe that this is 9% and I am even more amazed that Victory did not disclose the abv on the bottle (that I can see).

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy feel, what I would say is low to medium bodied.

Overall - This is my #1 beer as of tonight (the first time I tried it). I can't say enough good things about it. In comparing with DirtWolf I rate this beer much higher. For me DirtWolf had a boozie taste to it which I did not like (but DirtWolf is still a great beer).

4.96/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours light, golden, clean and clear. Lacing is light. Smell is beautiful, hoppy, with sweet fruit. The mouthfeel is shockingly light and clean...the easiest 9% beer i've ever drank. Bordering on sessionable. The taste is perfect. Hops are balanced and accentuated by fruit... Overall, just a wonderful beer. Not to over react, but this is my favorite IPA. Case worthy to say the least.

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours golden yellow with nice head and retention. Instantly you get a wiff of fruit and hops. Apricots come to mind first with the smell. Although I'm not a big fan of Victory beers this one seems to have high potential.

The taste is great. A nice balance between sweeter fruit, citrus, and hops. It's a very smooth beer all the way through. It never strays to far in any direction with the hops. Possibly the only knock is that the citrus gets a bit overpowered by sweet fruit taste but that being very critical.

Overall, this beer is world class. Very impressed, and this is coming from a person that isn't a Victory fan. Maybe the best DIPA on the market.

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Phenomenal beer, an instant favorite. Gotta love the hints of citrus, so pleasing to the nostrils and palate. I bought 2 cases of this after trying it on tap at a local bar. Too bad it is seasonal, I want this year-round. I do happen to like it better than dirt wolf.

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Surprisingly pale... pilsner pale. The head is almost non-existent unless you do a hard pour, and even then it dissipates quickly leaving thin, sticky lace on the glass.

Smell: Mango and pineapple dominate the aroma. A little papaya, too?

Taste: Pineapple, papaya and mango are in abundance here. The malty sweetness works in perfect harmony with the hops.

Mouthfeel: How is this beer 9%? It's silky-smooth and so easy to drink. I'd guess 6%, tops, in a blind taste test. This could be deadly... in a good way.

Overall: I originally commented that DirtWolf was the best beer Victory created in years. It only took them two months to top it. I will enjoy my case immensely and will definitely buy it again next year.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

I live 10 minutes from Victory and would get different variations of their ranch series on tap every now and then. I'm so glad they finally decided to bottle one of them. This is a great, big beer.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

Just had this on draft, Jan 2015 and it was days old fresh and awesome! Pungent aroma of hops, fresh hops from the vine hitting my nose then followed by the first sip of joy. Had a two fister, Dirt Devil next to it and this Hop Ranch was sublime in comparison. Similar, but another aroma level above the Dirt.

They really got this hop balance right, for me. Onion, grapefruit, earthy. Yes, all I want from an IPA with an aroma that projects at least five feet away from the glass. In my opinion, when you try this from a bottle you have not tasted it yet. I did not like it in the bottle last year, but this years draft rules.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured one finger of head. Dark straw color. Head dissipates quickly.
Aroma is huge citrus, a nice breadiness to it, an oily hop aroma, fresh cut grass, and grapefruit rind.
Taste is one of my new favorite IPA’s. The beer is immediately super crisp and light, however, then the flavor bomb hits you… I get a huge hit of beautiful citrus (lemons and grapefruit juice primarily). I get a mild hop bitterness followed by a hop oiliness. Super well-balanced. The beer isn’t overly bitter and fades as the sip ends. It doesn’t linger nor coat the palate. The nice carbonation makes this beer super refreshing and light on the palate rather than that obnoxious thickness. I get some peach as the beer warms near the end of the sip.
Overall, this is just a real nice beer. It isn’t overly thick or aggressive. Perfect balance of bitterness, citrus, malt, and carbonation. I would pair it with a shrimp ceviche with tropical fruits mixed in like mango and papaya. I really wouldn’t change much about this beer, but If I had to, I would say just a kiss more carbonation, but really it’s not even required. I give it a 97/100

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Best by May 25 2014

A: Slightly hazy, golden-yellow with a huuuuge, frothy, soapy, pillowy, bright white head. Leaves behind some decent lacing and a bit of thin retention.

S: A unique hop profile. Extremely floral while also having massive citrus qualities. Sugary and sweet. Juicy. It's like I'm drinking it through my nose. Incredible.

T: Similar to the nose. This is the juiciest beer I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Unbelievable. So freakin' delicious!

M: Way too easy to drink. Seriously. Beyond smooth, almost creamy, and perfect carbonation. Body is superb. Flavor is endless. This beer brings a smile to your face. And a decent buzz after one bottle.

O: I would drink a 4-pack of this every day if the circumstances allowed for that. Such a well-executed beer by Victory. With this and DirtWolf, they're back on my radar!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer smells and tastes amazing. Hops carried to my tongue by a nice malty backbone that, despite it's 9% tag isn't too sweet. Blown away by how good this beer is, like a citrus bomb Heady Topper.
A: Honestly, it's not a very pretty beer. But that doesn't matter.
S: This beer smells like I'm sticking my face in a pallet of hops.
T: Citrusy hop beautifulness with some nice bitterness in the finish.
O: Love this beer!

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a golden sunrise color, fluffy white head and fine lace

Smell: Grapefruit juice, pineapple candy, sweet

Taste: More citrus with grapefruit, candied lemons, mango

Mouthfeel - Rich and satisfying but easily quaffed

One of the best Imperial IPAs I've had. I don't know if we can expect this to be part of Victory's regular lineup or just a seasonal offering. Either way, more IPAs should be designed this way. The punch-in-the-face impact of the fruit hop aroma, high ABV, and easy drinkablility makes this a great beer to look forward to after a long day.

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from bottle into Maudite snifter.

A - lighter than expected for the style. Cloudy golden amber hue...would look more like a pilsner than a DIPA if it werent as cloudy and carried more carbonation. Fluffy white head with above average lacing. Nice oily residue slides down the side of the glass after each sip.

S - out of this world! Apricots and lemon citrus dominate. Piney notes to follow. It's been a while since I've come across a beer that has a nose as bright and unique as this one! Top shelf for sure...

T - high marks here as well. Crisp and refreshing. A highly unique blend of apricot, lemon zest, and grapefruit. Hops are blended with the other flavor profiles extremely well and do not overpower....my pet peave with alot of other DIPA's. At 9% ABV this beer is still highly sessionable IMO. I could EASILY drink this with my buddies around a card table...But probably not a good idea. 9% would sneak up on me and I'd probably lose the mortgage money!

M - slick and oily...perfect amount of carbonation. Coats the mouth well.

O - along with DFH 90 min, this Is right up there with my favorite DIPA's. I LOVE this beer. It has a unique flavor that enhances its drinkability unlike any other I've come across to date. Victory has a winner in this one...would love to find this on draft somewhere in the Baltimore area.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. Hazy gold with lots of floaters, sticky, plus sized head. Ton of tropics fruit on the nose. Taste mimics aroma, lots of pineapple, not overly bitter. Surprising drinkable, well carbonated, resinous mouthfeel. Loved it! Best dipa I have had in a while.

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer is drinkable any time of year. It has the light fruity notes of summer balanced by hops and bitterness that would satisfy you any time of year. It's a wonderful all around beer with great complexity and approachability. The finish is just long enough to leave a pleasant taste and make you want another sip.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hot danged, nearly perfect and better than most.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, what a beer! Appearance is a large, fluffy, foamy, off-white head that lasts a long time, lots of lace, and a clear light yellow color. Aromas are fresh hops, fresh baked bread, malt, a little fruit. Flavor's are similar to nose, perfect balance between bitter, sweet, and tang. Excellent body. Slight medicinal aftertaste from hop. Super easy drinking beer.

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light, pale orange. The aroma explodes out of the glass with orange, grapefruit, pine and yes, a little Chiba. Taste is citrusy with a slight pine finish coupled with subtle malt on the back of the palate. Creamy and full bodied, this brew glides over the tongue. I think I'll have another! Kudos to Victory, who's new brews continue to impress!

4.77/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Chill hazed golden body with a thin frothed head. Intense hop aroma: floral, citric, funky. Tastes of sweet pale malts up front. Citrus is more prominent with some floral and overripe fruit. Smooth body with light bubbles. Excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An outstanding beer that eclipses Dirtwolf in terms of accessibility. Perhaps less bold in flavor than its imperial IPA counterpart, but Hop Ranch delicately balances notes of white citrus, grapefruit and grape and touts a very easy-drinking palate at 9%. The smell and taste almost reminds me of an imperial version of Schafly's excellent Tasmanian IPA. It has a similar slight sort of funk, but one that is wholly enjoyable and a wonderful contribution to the clean citrus prominence.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a 4-pack of this the other day at a fairly reasonable price and was very pleased with this one.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color with a frothy head about 1 1/2 fingers thick into a tulip.

Smell: Grapefruit right off the nose, nice fruity, citrus smell

Taste: Grapefruit and tropical fruits with a nice steady bitterness that doesn't overpower. A very juicy tasting beer with almost no taste of the alcohol. Very refreshing and could be dangerous without the taste of alcohol to make you pace yourself.

Mouthfeel: Juicy, slick but doesn't smash your palate at all.

Overall: This is an excellent offering from Victory and to be quite honest I think this is far better than DirtWolf. It's cleaner tasting, has more of a bite to it with its hop profile and fruity, citrus flavors are a bit more pronounced. I will be a repeat customer of this for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. I work at a beer store and bought a four pack. Finished it assuming that we'd be getting more, but no. It was sold out in a day. So piney and delicious, I'll never make that mistake again.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hop forward beer. Great taste on this one.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company