Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Ratings: 2,084 | Reviews: 352
1.64/5  rDev -61.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle tells me I Should enjoy this by May 24th 2015.

Tastes and smells like stale old hops. Dirty sock aroma and this beer is hard to drink.

Definitely wasted my money on this one. AVOID!

2.38/5  rDev -43.6%

I like Victory products. This one looked and smelled like an old school or cheap pilsner. Color reminded me of urine like the smell. Barely could bring myself to drink it. With pinched nose and hoping for the best, I tried it. Very little flavor. I hope my first bottle is just an
Outlier.

2.59/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I don't know what was wrong for me with this one. Normally LOVE Mosaic, but this hit nothing pleasing in terms of smell, taste, feel, etc. Had to post a review for this to go through, no wonder the average pDev is so high.

I would avoid this one. Dirtwolf is way better.

2.64/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Bottle that's best by 05.24.15, poured into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A bit cloudy with a thin, filmy white head. Looks fine.

S: Smells like a pilsner mixed with lots of pine needles and caramel. Unpleasant.

T: Dominant flavors of artificial grapefruit juice, saccharine caramel malts, raw pine sap, and a touch of dish soap. Gross.

M: Creamy, a bit fizzy, and smooth. Really nice.

O: A real stinker. It's done in by its failed effort to play the artificial citrus bitterness against the overpowering caramel sweetness. Funny those two wrongs didn't make a right. Loved the mouthfeel, though.

2.68/5  rDev -36.5%

Picked up a 4 pack@ Specs.
A- Hazy gold with 1 finger off white head that faded fairly soon but left nice lacing.

S- Faint citrus overpowered by an onion scent. What causes this offensive dankness is beyond me.

T_Follows the nose. Big dose of hop goodness,quickly followed by oniony funk.

M-Decent carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

O-I was geeked when I purchased this beer, but it was just not that enjoyable. I've never had an IPA that had such a funky oniony taste and there are too many other great IPA's out there to ever seek this one out again. I typically like Victory, but this was a dud.for me.

2.74/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is spicy floral oniony hops.

The flavor is a little sweet malt and a bunch of spicy floral oniony hops. The mouthfeel is medium to fill bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my kind of hop profile.

2.79/5  rDev -33.9%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like.

2.82/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Not a good beer,taste like golden monkey with hops. Not a good combo

2.89/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Way overrated! this " Limited Brew " has a strange, weird taste that had me puzzled as to why it was even brewed. I tend to think the more a beer is limited....the more hype it generates. The beer poured a golden color with a decent head. The aroma was strange, I cant put my finger on it but it was weird. The taste was nothing that I expected, kind of a hoppy potpourri concoction that grandpa Munster created in the basement. I like Victory as a brewery as they produce some awesome beers but this Hindenburg of a beer just goes up in flames.

Bottom Line: What was that!!!!

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Very little aroma. Mostly just bitter.

2.94/5  rDev -30.3%

Looks like a Budweiser but definitely doesn't taste like one

3.12/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate white head that becomes a very thin lace. The beer is very clear with some particulates settling to the bottom and few carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Looks appealing, but rather light for an Imperial IPA.

S: Bright floral and grassy notes are what I smell most strongly. I also smell some very catty and light citrus notes. No real malt presence here. I like that it smells different from all the citrus bombs that I've been drinking this fall, but I don't like the catty smell and would like some hint of malt presence in an Imperial IPA.

T: Bold and bitter up front with an earthy, spicy noble hop kind of bitterness. The body has a lot going on in it. There are a lot of floral and citrus notes that come in to compliment the earthy and spicy hops that hit you up front and there is also the strongest example I've come across of the "cat piss" flavor that I have heard of. There is a very slight breadiness right before the finish, but that is all that I get from the malts. The finish is mostly citrus at first, but leaves that cat piss flavor on your palate. It's an interesting brew. A complete hop bomb that is very complex and interesting, but the taste, esp. the finish, is not something I would seek out again.

F: Light and zesty. Very drinkable, but not watery. Surprisingly light for an Imperial IPA.

O: I think that this beer was really unbalanced for an Imperial IPA, it is lacking in the malt backbone. A lack of balance in an IIPA is something I can forgive (hell, even love) if the hop flavor is something I enjoy. In this case I think the catty notes are too strong to make this anything more than a very average example of the style. It's got a lot going for it in hop complexity and if you like those hop notes then you will probably love this beer. I just don't like them.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx 55F.

3.12/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a pale yellowish wheat gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a clingy web of a cap with sheets and sticky notches of lacing.

Smell: Juicy, fruity sweetness. More tropical than anything. Mango, pineapple, and some tangerine. Slightly herbal with a push of bitterness. Malts are pale, light, and vaguely sweet. Some toasted elements. Warming pushes some juicier orange. Nicely floral as well.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose. Big juicy fruitiness runs the gamut. Orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple, apple and pear. Some building earthy and herbal hop notes. Malts offer some hints at balance, but it's minimal. Lightly sweet, a touch bready. Pale malts. A bit mealy with something akin to Juicy Fruit on the finish. Some bready notes. A little rough around the edges. Fresh citrus.

Mouthfeel: Slick medium body. Slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: Lukewarm Ranch

The hop profile feels a little muddled over a malt profile that doesn't really mesh. Feels a bit off overall.

3.16/5  rDev -25.1%

Not a huge fan, I don't like the resin aftertaste

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

Overall an OK offering from Victory.

Poured way lighter than I was expecting, golden in color. A huge surprise for a beer billed as a 9.0% DIPA.

Smell was solid, the best part by far. Grapefruit, mango, pine , light bready smell on the backbone.

Taste was straight pine. Nothing else. Just pine and a little resin with malt on the end. Very disappointing as I was really expecting this to blow me away based on the reviews I read.

I'm starting to think there are way too many inflated reviews to believe them any longer....

3.19/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Same price as Dirtwolf, limited availability. Tastes like dirtwolf if they forgot a hop or two. Ok the end, buy Dirtwolf! Disappointed.

3.24/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I might have gotten an old bottle. Very little hop character in this. It was very yeasty. So much so that I was wondering if it had been brewed with Belgian yeast. Pours cloudy and tasted somewhat thin and reminded me of a hefe. Overall, a mediocre IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I enjoyed this, but nothing special. Slightly above average.

3.25/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good imperial IPA. Not usually me thing but it's good.

3.26/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Good beer, not as good as past years releases though

3.27/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Very nice - lighter than expected color/mouthfeel. Pine and citrus. Nice beer.

3.31/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Did not like anything about this beer to be honest.

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

Huge citrus notes and a bold mouth mosaic hops are subtle

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance: very light golden color with long lasting head and lots of lacing.

Smell: hoppy and floral but not overwhelming.

Taste: can definitely taste the alcohol right from the start and a slight bitterness but again not overwheming.

Mouthfeel: slightly dry.

Overall: to me this seems like a Prima Pils with more hops and higher alcohol rather than a DIPA not a bad beer but not to style.

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Very fresh bottle that just missed the mark entirely. Aroma was all over the place, none of it a good place though. Almost sour malt, the hop combo just not pleasant at all, partly for its weakness as much as its poor accord. Palate wasn't much better, some astringent hoppiness, extremely little actual hop flavor, overly full malt feel. Bad batch? Perhaps, as freshness wasn't an issue. Needless to say, highly doubt I'll revisit.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company