1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,141 | Reviews: 205 | Show All Ratings:
kennymule

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Picked up a 4 pack@ Specs.
A- Hazy gold with 1 finger off white head that faded fairly soon but left nice lacing.

S- Faint citrus overpowered by an onion scent. What causes this offensive dankness is beyond me.

T_Follows the nose. Big dose of hop goodness,quickly followed by oniony funk.

M-Decent carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

O-I was geeked when I purchased this beer, but it was just not that enjoyable. I've never had an IPA that had such a funky oniony taste and there are too many other great IPA's out there to ever seek this one out again. I typically like Victory, but this was a dud.for me.

02-26-2014 14:13:51 | More by kennymule
TequilaTom

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like.

02-05-2014 13:51:58 | More by TequilaTom
themind

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Way overrated! this " Limited Brew " has a strange, weird taste that had me puzzled as to why it was even brewed. I tend to think the more a beer is limited....the more hype it generates. The beer poured a golden color with a decent head. The aroma was strange, I cant put my finger on it but it was weird. The taste was nothing that I expected, kind of a hoppy potpourri concoction that grandpa Munster created in the basement. I like Victory as a brewery as they produce some awesome beers but this Hindenburg of a beer just goes up in flames.

Bottom Line: What was that!!!!

01-31-2014 01:42:07 | More by themind
gooobucks

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer has a lot of foam. It is golden, much lighter than I would expect from an Imperial IPA.

It tastes like grapefruit juice. Straight grapefruit juice. I like grapefruit juice, but it's not what I want from an Imperial IPA. A weak showing from the usually stellar Victory Brewing Company. I will not be purchasing it again.

02-10-2014 03:22:32 | More by gooobucks
Goblinmunkey7

3.06/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a pale yellowish wheat gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a clingy web of a cap with sheets and sticky notches of lacing.

Smell: Juicy, fruity sweetness. More tropical than anything. Mango, pineapple, and some tangerine. Slightly herbal with a push of bitterness. Malts are pale, light, and vaguely sweet. Some toasted elements. Warming pushes some juicier orange. Nicely floral as well.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose. Big juicy fruitiness runs the gamut. Orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple, apple and pear. Some building earthy and herbal hop notes. Malts offer some hints at balance, but it's minimal. Lightly sweet, a touch bready. Pale malts. A bit mealy with something akin to Juicy Fruit on the finish. Some bready notes. A little rough around the edges. Fresh citrus.

Mouthfeel: Slick medium body. Slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: Lukewarm Ranch

The hop profile feels a little muddled over a malt profile that doesn't really mesh. Feels a bit off overall.

01-12-2014 21:55:24 | More by Goblinmunkey7
MS22

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Overall an OK offering from Victory.

Poured way lighter than I was expecting, golden in color. A huge surprise for a beer billed as a 9.0% DIPA.

Smell was solid, the best part by far. Grapefruit, mango, pine , light bready smell on the backbone.

Taste was straight pine. Nothing else. Just pine and a little resin with malt on the end. Very disappointing as I was really expecting this to blow me away based on the reviews I read.

I'm starting to think there are way too many inflated reviews to believe them any longer....

01-27-2014 04:09:28 | More by MS22
RyanOooh

Vermont

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle enjoy by May, poured ayellow/gold with big fizzy bubbles, very small head that disappeared quickly. Clean looking.
The smell wasn't much- a little danky, musty, hint of pine, spice.
Taste was surprisingly onion/scallion, earthy, hint of grapefruit, hop bitterness.
Skipping to my overall - very surprised by the onion. It overwhelmed all the other flavors. I was not lucky enough to pick up much citrus or mango. It was like drinking a Hop Devil that someone put a little more malt in...and sprinkled the top of the glass with scallions.
Hope it was my bottle. I'm in no rush to find out otherwise. Disappointed.

01-16-2014 05:13:14 | More by RyanOooh
ejimhof

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: very light golden color with long lasting head and lots of lacing.

Smell: hoppy and floral but not overwhelming.

Taste: can definitely taste the alcohol right from the start and a slight bitterness but again not overwheming.

Mouthfeel: slightly dry.

Overall: to me this seems like a Prima Pils with more hops and higher alcohol rather than a DIPA not a bad beer but not to style.

01-23-2014 23:34:51 | More by ejimhof
Nlawrence301

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not exactly what I was expecting after reading other reviews, and loving dirtwolf. It wasn't bad by any means, but far from outstanding. Lots of tropical fruit in this beer, but there was something strange I couldn't quite put my finger on. Almost reminded me of a fruity champagne or carbonated Chardonnay. I will say for 9% abv this beer was very light. Over all decent. But far from great.

02-05-2014 21:38:11 | More by Nlawrence301
dank203

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

this isn't my favorite dipa but it wasn't bad. big sweet citrus and some funk, kind of off. the flavor doesn't provide all that, mostly the aroma. flavor has boozey and bitter. can't really give this an A because I preferred hop wallop which was an A- for me.

03-02-2014 23:39:29 | More by dank203
bryangb

3.53/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a fresh 12oz bottle

Smell: Grapefruit. Orange. Citrus. Subtle notes of hops

Taste: Tastes just like it smells. It's a very easy and smooth drinking beer. Surprised at the alcohol content to be honest. It might become a go-to for a summer day beer choice.

01-01-2014 20:46:47 | More by bryangb
Givemebeer

Vermont

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: straw golden - the color of a typical tripel. Slightly hazy, 2 inch white head forms and attractive lacing is left.

S: loads of grapefruit on the nose.

T: grapefruit with definite pine undertones. Finishes off dry and fairly bitter. Abv hidden quite well this is a drinkable beer.

M: a medium bodied beer

O: this is a very good DIPA but definitely not on the elite level that I feel dirtwolf is on. Perhaps it's just my preference in taste in ipas. Anyways, definitely try it

01-23-2014 00:10:01 | More by Givemebeer
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle, think I paid $2.99. Color was yellow, clear, sticky lacing. Aroma was ammonia and cat pee, super hoppy bits of pine and earth, still not my favorite hop profile but not bad and certainly extra hoppy. Flavor was mostly hops, earthy, but if pine, lots of hops. This actually his the alcohol quite well for 9%.

01-23-2014 16:39:53 | More by ArrogantB
keithmurray

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - clear golden straw color with white head

Smell - mango, grapefruit, onion

Taste - mango, grapefruit, onion

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, somewhat sticky, the onion flavor is a bit off putting

Overall - this was a but underwhelming, it was tough to enjoy given the onion flavor of this

Price point - $2.59/12 oz single

01-26-2014 19:04:02 | More by keithmurray
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is about a finger high, white in shade, and very creamy looking. Both the retention and the lacing left behind is pretty good. I'm a sucker for straw-colored IPAs, so this deserves bonus points.

S: Very, very fruity. Peaches, mangoes, grapefruit, hell, there might be something suggesting papaya. I'm also picking up blueberries. The malt backbone is imperceptible, and that's exactly how I like it. Having said that, the nose isn't all sunshine and rainbows - there's something ever-so-slightly off about it. I want to say it's a bit heavy in cat pee or ammonia, so I think I will. Having said that, it's a good nose, but man, it could have been a fuckin' fantastic one.

T: Its hop profile opens the beer up intensely, with notes of blueberry, grapefruit, melon, mango, and peaches. I might as well say this has no malt to it - really, it doesn't, this is purely a showcase for the hops. However, it finishes weirdly. Just like I said in the nose, there's something that doesn't fully gel with me and it's hard to place exactly what it is. The more I sip it, the more it hits me - it's oniony. I don't mind an oniony DIPA, honest to Jebus, but here it's a little too intense.

M: Super crisp, super light, super drinkable. This is its trump card - it almost goes down like a 4% blond ale, only it's 9%. The zesty carbonation helps it go down easily.

O: I like this beer a whole lot, just like DirtWolf. Also like DirtWolf, I don't quite love it. Onion, when it's in small doses, can be great (see: Lagunitas Sucks), this just brings it too strongly. On the plus side, I can't tell you how happy I am to see a DIPA on the market not weighed down with excess malt or excess booze.

02-15-2014 00:27:25 | More by ThisWangsChung
Tsar_Riga

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pale yellow, golden color, some opacity, white head, with lacing. Very pretty.

S - First sign of an issue. There is strong, strong fruit of citrus, maybe a little mango. All good, but there is a vegetal odor coming across as onions, and some hint of ammonia. Such great notes mingle with the less welcome one, making this a mixed bag.

T - Following the smell, with fruit up front. The grapefruit element is first, but you have other notes too, of peach, and mango primarily. The onion element is more hidden, but still present. Close is slightly bitter.

M - Crisp and amazingly easy to drink. No sign of that ABV.

O - I enjoy the fruit, the snappy clean finish, and easy drinkability, but I am not a fan of onions in my beer, and the ammonia smell also was unpleasant. About half a great beer, and the rest not so much.

02-21-2014 00:26:00 | More by Tsar_Riga
Rifugium

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at City Tap House, Philly, PA

Served in a tulip glass, a pristine, clear, golden-yellow color, with a small, retaining, white head, that dotted the glass with lacing; tiny Champagne-like bubbles perpetually popped from the bottom. Nice aroma, full of lemony hops and ripe tropical fruits. After the aroma, the taste was a bit of a let-down. Lemon pith, neutral alcohol, and a lasting graininess, ushering in a wave of bitterness that, though appropriate for the style, seemed to wash away much of the fruity/citrusy goodness that I was expecting from the nose. Slightly metallic in the aftertaste, but within tolerance. Medium body, decently drinkable. Solid overall, but probably not something I'd revisit too often.

01-09-2014 00:08:37 | More by Rifugium
PaulyB83

3.69/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light straw color, perhaps the lightest IPA I've encountered. Nice white head and the beer is very clear but for a few round particles that look like dried yeast granuals. Looks appropriately carbonated.

S- Very different from any IPA I've had before. Some white vinegar, very light tropical fruit, white wine. Some bitter grape seed.

T- At first I really didn't like this beer, I waited until the 3rd bottle of the 4 pack to review it. There are still some aspects to this beer I don't like, I think the malt is too light for one. And I just don't think I'm digging these Azacca hops. Having said that there is a big grapefruit presence and some underlying tropical fruits that I wish were more prominent. Had a real sprucey pine aspect to it that I didn't care for.

M- The has a good medium-light mouthfeel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to it.
One thing I'll give it is that it is extremely drinkable as far as hiding the ABV is concerned.

O- Everyone seems to be in love with this beer but I'm really going back and forth on it. One thing I'll give it though is it hides it's ABV extremely well. Hoping to catch this on tap and see if I like it any better.

02-11-2014 23:47:59 | More by PaulyB83
barebearbeer

Rhode Island

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Foggy, lemon-ish, golden hue

S: Citrus (especially grapefruit), pungent hop and pine aromas play off one another nicely. Tropical fruit undertones, specifically mango, come through nicely.

T: I was surprised to find that the tropical fruit notes in the smell took more of a leading role in the taste profile. Pine and hop bitterness were also present and were accompanied by honeysuckle, orange, grapefruit, pineapple and even more mango.

M: Good amount of carbonation. Medium bodied.

O: Not my favorite from Victory but a very respectable offering. Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

01-30-2014 18:45:34 | More by barebearbeer
BreakfastStout

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light straw color, far lighter than any other IIPA I've ever had. An aggressive pour yields a generous head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing all down the tulip.
Curious for this style, the nose is almost nonexistent. A slight floral presence, but that's about it.
Taste revels very balanced hop bitterness, almost but not quite covered up by the sweetness of the honey. Hops are slightly understated for the style.
Finish is the same slight bitter but a lot of sweet. Would I drink this beer again? Yes, absolutely.
Would I buy this beer again? Probably not, especially with a case of Hopslam in the cellar. This beer suffer by comparison.

02-14-2014 01:37:06 | More by BreakfastStout
Jjski

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

A- straw, looks like a Saison

S- hoppy ,citrusy Lemon Pledge (furniture polish),ONION

T- pineapple, candied orange zest. Zero bitterness, which is fine with me.Pickled ginger ( like what u get with sushi)

M- fizzy ginger ale. Quite dry, which is very refreshing

O- ok, I love non bitter ipa's but this lacks the floral notes of the king: NEBCO Gandhi Bot. Fizzy with nondescript malt backbone. Wimpy mouthfeel ...Not going back for another, even though I respect Victory and like most of their beers.

Hop Devil is great, Dirt wolf is assertive, Nugget Nectar and Stoudt's DIPA have excellent malt backbone. This one is thin and citrusy: easy quaff, but not rewarding.

It would be good with sushi

01-16-2014 00:33:37 | More by Jjski
mxchap

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Enjoy by date May 19th. Reviewed on January 30th

Appearance: Light golden in color with a slight haze. Thin head, but with a great deal of retention. Minimal lacing. [3.0/5.0]
Aroma: Pineapple and mango. Little bit of melon. Grapefruit. Almost no presence of malt. Slight cereal/pilsner malt. [4.0]
Flavor: Tropical and stone fruit. Little bit of pine and a great deal of grapefruit. The bitterness is strong up front but overall pretty mellow (less than DirtWolf). Very clean malt presence. Finishes with a little residual sweetness. [3.5/5.0]
Feel: Highly carbonated. The bitterness is not terribly high and it certainly doesn't linger. Somewhat dry, but has some sugar to help balance the high alcohol and hop content. Very drinkable. [4.5/5.0]
Overall: Another solid new DIPA from Victory. This one is a little simpler than DirtWolf (IMO), but it is highly enjoyable. Feel and the aroma are the highlights of this beer. [3.75/5.0]

01-30-2014 23:24:48 | More by mxchap
Flopjack

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Golden color, very transparent, 1 finger white head settles quickly leaving a ring around the glass, some active carbonation.

Smell - Sweet tropical fruits. Mango, pineapple, kiwi, white grape, almost no alcohol what so ever.

Taste - Not what I had expected. Sweet on the palate but not getting the sweet tropical fruit flavors that we're in the nose. Mild mango and maybe slight orange citrus at the beginning hard to say, not getting much in the middle maybe a slight spiciness, ends with an earthy grain flavor which is again very mild.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is on the lighter side but still very refreshing. Medium body.

Overall - Sorry fellas but this one left me a bit dissapointed. I loved hop wallop and I'm sad I never reviewed one, but that beer turned me on to victory. Having hop ranch and it being such a hyped up beer I thought I would have gotten more flavor!!! Make your own choices, but I don't know that I will seek this out again.

01-24-2014 03:35:30 | More by Flopjack
babaracas

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with big dense white head, settles slowly to a thin layer, rings of thick lace down the glass. Smell: muted lemon peel, grass, nectarine. Taste: pineapple, citrus, grass; backing is white grape and unripe pear. Tongue numbing but sticky sweet. Doesn't do it for me, but semi interesting. Oh, and seems Victory's still at it with their date codes. Call it "Hop Ranch" and date it 6 months out. The Anti-Enjoy By.

01-27-2014 04:13:44 | More by babaracas
rawfish

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours light, bright corn yellow and fairly hazy. Smooth pour nets a finger high head, stark white, tight bubbles with good retention and lacing.

Pale malt is balancing providing a bit of sweetness to a large hop profile that is way different than anything I've previously experience. Perfume strength and floral, the hops are tropical and "stinky" mangoes and passionfruit, nectarine, citrus and papaya compost, garlic and onion greens. Super pungent, the combined aroma of Lagunitas Sucks and Stone Enjoy By turned up to 11.

Tight pale malt lacks the balance needed to handle the hops, a slight bready edge but that's it for the malt. Grassy, herbaceous and once again wildly pungent hops, alot of the tropical notes in the nose are lost leaving some faint mango, citrus peel and onion/garlic. Medium bitterness that exudes the pungent onion juice in the finish. Crazy IPA.

Moderate body with active carbonation. Alcohol is well managed. Bitterness leaves a drying finish despite the bothersome aftertaste.

As different as IPA can be, I get to use the onion, garlic and perhaps even the cat pee/ ammonia descriptors for hops for the first time in my book. Aroma of this beer is intense and complex, overall a tropical/herbaceous beer that is well brewed but should also come with a disclaimer. My body was not ready.

03-21-2014 06:33:31 | More by rawfish