Follow our progress ...

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

Added by dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Reviews: 353 | Ratings: 2,333
1.64/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle tells me I Should enjoy this by May 24th 2015.

Tastes and smells like stale old hops. Dirty sock aroma and this beer is hard to drink.

Definitely wasted my money on this one. AVOID!

2.59/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I don't know what was wrong for me with this one. Normally LOVE Mosaic, but this hit nothing pleasing in terms of smell, taste, feel, etc. Had to post a review for this to go through, no wonder the average pDev is so high.

I would avoid this one. Dirtwolf is way better.

2.61/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

L:
-pours a clear golden with a small,quickly dissipating,foamy,white head
-low to medium carbonation visible
-hop particle floaties
S:
-lemon,orange,slight pineapple,bready,biscuity
-immensely subdued
T:
-Follows the nose plus honey,mango
-low to medium bitterniss for the style
F:
-medium carbonation
-medium body
-alcohol somewhat noticeable
O:
I assume the Hops faded in this, but i drank it well within Victory's recommended BBD.
The one i drank was utterly disappointing.

2.64/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Bottle that's best by 05.24.15, poured into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A bit cloudy with a thin, filmy white head. Looks fine.

S: Smells like a pilsner mixed with lots of pine needles and caramel. Unpleasant.

T: Dominant flavors of artificial grapefruit juice, saccharine caramel malts, raw pine sap, and a touch of dish soap. Gross.

M: Creamy, a bit fizzy, and smooth. Really nice.

O: A real stinker. It's done in by its failed effort to play the artificial citrus bitterness against the overpowering caramel sweetness. Funny those two wrongs didn't make a right. Loved the mouthfeel, though.

2.68/5  rDev -35.7%

Picked up a 4 pack@ Specs.
A- Hazy gold with 1 finger off white head that faded fairly soon but left nice lacing.

S- Faint citrus overpowered by an onion scent. What causes this offensive dankness is beyond me.

T_Follows the nose. Big dose of hop goodness,quickly followed by oniony funk.

M-Decent carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

O-I was geeked when I purchased this beer, but it was just not that enjoyable. I've never had an IPA that had such a funky oniony taste and there are too many other great IPA's out there to ever seek this one out again. I typically like Victory, but this was a dud.for me.

2.74/5  rDev -34.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is spicy floral oniony hops.

The flavor is a little sweet malt and a bunch of spicy floral oniony hops. The mouthfeel is medium to fill bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my kind of hop profile.

2.79/5  rDev -33.1%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Way overrated! this " Limited Brew " has a strange, weird taste that had me puzzled as to why it was even brewed. I tend to think the more a beer is limited....the more hype it generates. The beer poured a golden color with a decent head. The aroma was strange, I cant put my finger on it but it was weird. The taste was nothing that I expected, kind of a hoppy potpourri concoction that grandpa Munster created in the basement. I like Victory as a brewery as they produce some awesome beers but this Hindenburg of a beer just goes up in flames.

Bottom Line: What was that!!!!

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy yellow, with a thin white head.

Smell: Sweeter notes like corn, mild pine notes.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of bitter hops/pine. With a sweeter finish.

Overall: This one was ok. Not my first choice.

This is an odd one and not what I was expecting. The smell is faint spicy earthy with maybe some light fruitiness. The taste is mostly herbal and reminds me of their Harvest IPA. Not juicy and fruit forward as described. Some definite pilsner qualities. nb

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate white head that becomes a very thin lace. The beer is very clear with some particulates settling to the bottom and few carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Looks appealing, but rather light for an Imperial IPA.

S: Bright floral and grassy notes are what I smell most strongly. I also smell some very catty and light citrus notes. No real malt presence here. I like that it smells different from all the citrus bombs that I've been drinking this fall, but I don't like the catty smell and would like some hint of malt presence in an Imperial IPA.

T: Bold and bitter up front with an earthy, spicy noble hop kind of bitterness. The body has a lot going on in it. There are a lot of floral and citrus notes that come in to compliment the earthy and spicy hops that hit you up front and there is also the strongest example I've come across of the "cat piss" flavor that I have heard of. There is a very slight breadiness right before the finish, but that is all that I get from the malts. The finish is mostly citrus at first, but leaves that cat piss flavor on your palate. It's an interesting brew. A complete hop bomb that is very complex and interesting, but the taste, esp. the finish, is not something I would seek out again.

F: Light and zesty. Very drinkable, but not watery. Surprisingly light for an Imperial IPA.

O: I think that this beer was really unbalanced for an Imperial IPA, it is lacking in the malt backbone. A lack of balance in an IIPA is something I can forgive (hell, even love) if the hop flavor is something I enjoy. In this case I think the catty notes are too strong to make this anything more than a very average example of the style. It's got a lot going for it in hop complexity and if you like those hop notes then you will probably love this beer. I just don't like them.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx 55F.

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a pale yellowish wheat gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a clingy web of a cap with sheets and sticky notches of lacing.

Smell: Juicy, fruity sweetness. More tropical than anything. Mango, pineapple, and some tangerine. Slightly herbal with a push of bitterness. Malts are pale, light, and vaguely sweet. Some toasted elements. Warming pushes some juicier orange. Nicely floral as well.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose. Big juicy fruitiness runs the gamut. Orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple, apple and pear. Some building earthy and herbal hop notes. Malts offer some hints at balance, but it's minimal. Lightly sweet, a touch bready. Pale malts. A bit mealy with something akin to Juicy Fruit on the finish. Some bready notes. A little rough around the edges. Fresh citrus.

Mouthfeel: Slick medium body. Slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: Lukewarm Ranch

The hop profile feels a little muddled over a malt profile that doesn't really mesh. Feels a bit off overall.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Overall an OK offering from Victory.

Poured way lighter than I was expecting, golden in color. A huge surprise for a beer billed as a 9.0% DIPA.

Smell was solid, the best part by far. Grapefruit, mango, pine , light bready smell on the backbone.

Taste was straight pine. Nothing else. Just pine and a little resin with malt on the end. Very disappointing as I was really expecting this to blow me away based on the reviews I read.

I'm starting to think there are way too many inflated reviews to believe them any longer....

3.24/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I might have gotten an old bottle. Very little hop character in this. It was very yeasty. So much so that I was wondering if it had been brewed with Belgian yeast. Pours cloudy and tasted somewhat thin and reminded me of a hefe. Overall, a mediocre IPA.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.25] Uber transparent apple juice colored beer. The beer has a 1 1/2 finger head. The head is made of all medium bubbles - which seems unique. The head settles down to just under a finger and then has some staying power. The bottle lists the ABV (9.0%) and there is a best by date (05/21/16 at 6:15pm - which seems really specific!)

S: [2.25] The smell is also unique. I have read "cat pee" as a descriptor and it never really made sense to me - until now. I'd also describe it as a "meat" scent. That might be the closeset thing I can think of here. Maybe additionally pineapple, mango, papaya.

T: [3.50] Doesn't follow the nose (which is good). I get white grapes, pineapple and orange rind.

M: [3.75] Nice heft on the tongue. No lingering bitter flavors. No excessive carbonation.

O: [3.50] The nose on this is WAY different than anything I have had. I can't describe it adequately. The beer itself looks, tastes and "feels" decent but the nose is really off-putting. This is a hard beer to rate. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend because of the nose elements.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: very light golden color with long lasting head and lots of lacing.

Smell: hoppy and floral but not overwhelming.

Taste: can definitely taste the alcohol right from the start and a slight bitterness but again not overwheming.

Mouthfeel: slightly dry.

Overall: to me this seems like a Prima Pils with more hops and higher alcohol rather than a DIPA not a bad beer but not to style.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

Very fresh bottle that just missed the mark entirely. Aroma was all over the place, none of it a good place though. Almost sour malt, the hop combo just not pleasant at all, partly for its weakness as much as its poor accord. Palate wasn't much better, some astringent hoppiness, extremely little actual hop flavor, overly full malt feel. Bad batch? Perhaps, as freshness wasn't an issue. Needless to say, highly doubt I'll revisit.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from the COOP.. pours clear dark golden with a nice white head with good lacing... Weird fruitiness that has some yeasty notes that don't really jive with the hops.. Hard to explain.. Standard tangerine/orange zest with something that I normally associate with lemon essence coming from yeast... Also a herbal note that seems out of place... This one is very odd... Not bad, just odd.

3/3.5/3.25/3.5/3.25

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: pours light golden body with thick white head with excellent retention and lacing.
S: sweet, earthy dank hop notes with some citrus notes
T: earthy, slight citrus rind notes; some earthy notes
M: medium bided but crisp and refreshing
D: nice mouthfeel and taste combination; nice beer

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer looks like a pils and smells like one too just with some mild pine to liven it up. The taste is good but the flavors come off artificial, not very appealing. The best thing about this beer is the mouth feel, for 9% its light and actually refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

this isn't my favorite dipa but it wasn't bad. big sweet citrus and some funk, kind of off. the flavor doesn't provide all that, mostly the aroma. flavor has boozey and bitter. can't really give this an A because I preferred hop wallop which was an A- for me.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, malts. Taste is tropical fruits, hoppy, malts are present, medium bitterness, alcohol well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a pretty good beer, but nothing spectacular.

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a fresh 12oz bottle

Smell: Grapefruit. Orange. Citrus. Subtle notes of hops

Taste: Tastes just like it smells. It's a very easy and smooth drinking beer. Surprised at the alcohol content to be honest. It might become a go-to for a summer day beer choice.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: straw golden - the color of a typical tripel. Slightly hazy, 2 inch white head forms and attractive lacing is left.

S: loads of grapefruit on the nose.

T: grapefruit with definite pine undertones. Finishes off dry and fairly bitter. Abv hidden quite well this is a drinkable beer.

M: a medium bodied beer

O: this is a very good DIPA but definitely not on the elite level that I feel dirtwolf is on. Perhaps it's just my preference in taste in ipas. Anyways, definitely try it

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

12oz bottle, think I paid $2.99. Color was yellow, clear, sticky lacing. Aroma was ammonia and cat pee, super hoppy bits of pine and earth, still not my favorite hop profile but not bad and certainly extra hoppy. Flavor was mostly hops, earthy, but if pine, lots of hops. This actually his the alcohol quite well for 9%.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown