Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

pDev: 10%
Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Reviews: 314 | Hads: 2,096
1.64/5  rDev -61%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle tells me I Should enjoy this by May 24th 2015.

Tastes and smells like stale old hops. Dirty sock aroma and this beer is hard to drink.

Definitely wasted my money on this one. AVOID! (190 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I don't know what was wrong for me with this one. Normally LOVE Mosaic, but this hit nothing pleasing in terms of smell, taste, feel, etc. Had to post a review for this to go through, no wonder the average pDev is so high.

I would avoid this one. Dirtwolf is way better. (273 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Bottle that's best by 05.24.15, poured into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A bit cloudy with a thin, filmy white head. Looks fine.

S: Smells like a pilsner mixed with lots of pine needles and caramel. Unpleasant.

T: Dominant flavors of artificial grapefruit juice, saccharine caramel malts, raw pine sap, and a touch of dish soap. Gross.

M: Creamy, a bit fizzy, and smooth. Really nice.

O: A real stinker. It's done in by its failed effort to play the artificial citrus bitterness against the overpowering caramel sweetness. Funny those two wrongs didn't make a right. Loved the mouthfeel, though. (622 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

Picked up a 4 pack@ Specs.
A- Hazy gold with 1 finger off white head that faded fairly soon but left nice lacing.

S- Faint citrus overpowered by an onion scent. What causes this offensive dankness is beyond me.

T_Follows the nose. Big dose of hop goodness,quickly followed by oniony funk.

M-Decent carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

O-I was geeked when I purchased this beer, but it was just not that enjoyable. I've never had an IPA that had such a funky oniony taste and there are too many other great IPA's out there to ever seek this one out again. I typically like Victory, but this was a dud.for me. (608 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is spicy floral oniony hops.

The flavor is a little sweet malt and a bunch of spicy floral oniony hops. The mouthfeel is medium to fill bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my kind of hop profile. (332 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like. (441 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Way overrated! this " Limited Brew " has a strange, weird taste that had me puzzled as to why it was even brewed. I tend to think the more a beer is limited....the more hype it generates. The beer poured a golden color with a decent head. The aroma was strange, I cant put my finger on it but it was weird. The taste was nothing that I expected, kind of a hoppy potpourri concoction that grandpa Munster created in the basement. I like Victory as a brewery as they produce some awesome beers but this Hindenburg of a beer just goes up in flames.

Bottom Line: What was that!!!! (577 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate white head that becomes a very thin lace. The beer is very clear with some particulates settling to the bottom and few carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Looks appealing, but rather light for an Imperial IPA.

S: Bright floral and grassy notes are what I smell most strongly. I also smell some very catty and light citrus notes. No real malt presence here. I like that it smells different from all the citrus bombs that I've been drinking this fall, but I don't like the catty smell and would like some hint of malt presence in an Imperial IPA.

T: Bold and bitter up front with an earthy, spicy noble hop kind of bitterness. The body has a lot going on in it. There are a lot of floral and citrus notes that come in to compliment the earthy and spicy hops that hit you up front and there is also the strongest example I've come across of the "cat piss" flavor that I have heard of. There is a very slight breadiness right before the finish, but that is all that I get from the malts. The finish is mostly citrus at first, but leaves that cat piss flavor on your palate. It's an interesting brew. A complete hop bomb that is very complex and interesting, but the taste, esp. the finish, is not something I would seek out again.

F: Light and zesty. Very drinkable, but not watery. Surprisingly light for an Imperial IPA.

O: I think that this beer was really unbalanced for an Imperial IPA, it is lacking in the malt backbone. A lack of balance in an IIPA is something I can forgive (hell, even love) if the hop flavor is something I enjoy. In this case I think the catty notes are too strong to make this anything more than a very average example of the style. It's got a lot going for it in hop complexity and if you like those hop notes then you will probably love this beer. I just don't like them.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx 55F. (1,940 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a pale yellowish wheat gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a clingy web of a cap with sheets and sticky notches of lacing.

Smell: Juicy, fruity sweetness. More tropical than anything. Mango, pineapple, and some tangerine. Slightly herbal with a push of bitterness. Malts are pale, light, and vaguely sweet. Some toasted elements. Warming pushes some juicier orange. Nicely floral as well.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose. Big juicy fruitiness runs the gamut. Orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple, apple and pear. Some building earthy and herbal hop notes. Malts offer some hints at balance, but it's minimal. Lightly sweet, a touch bready. Pale malts. A bit mealy with something akin to Juicy Fruit on the finish. Some bready notes. A little rough around the edges. Fresh citrus.

Mouthfeel: Slick medium body. Slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: Lukewarm Ranch

The hop profile feels a little muddled over a malt profile that doesn't really mesh. Feels a bit off overall. (1,035 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Overall an OK offering from Victory.

Poured way lighter than I was expecting, golden in color. A huge surprise for a beer billed as a 9.0% DIPA.

Smell was solid, the best part by far. Grapefruit, mango, pine , light bready smell on the backbone.

Taste was straight pine. Nothing else. Just pine and a little resin with malt on the end. Very disappointing as I was really expecting this to blow me away based on the reviews I read.

I'm starting to think there are way too many inflated reviews to believe them any longer.... (529 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I might have gotten an old bottle. Very little hop character in this. It was very yeasty. So much so that I was wondering if it had been brewed with Belgian yeast. Pours cloudy and tasted somewhat thin and reminded me of a hefe. Overall, a mediocre IPA. (258 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: very light golden color with long lasting head and lots of lacing.

Smell: hoppy and floral but not overwhelming.

Taste: can definitely taste the alcohol right from the start and a slight bitterness but again not overwheming.

Mouthfeel: slightly dry.

Overall: to me this seems like a Prima Pils with more hops and higher alcohol rather than a DIPA not a bad beer but not to style. (397 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -20%

Very fresh bottle that just missed the mark entirely. Aroma was all over the place, none of it a good place though. Almost sour malt, the hop combo just not pleasant at all, partly for its weakness as much as its poor accord. Palate wasn't much better, some astringent hoppiness, extremely little actual hop flavor, overly full malt feel. Bad batch? Perhaps, as freshness wasn't an issue. Needless to say, highly doubt I'll revisit. (432 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer looks like a pils and smells like one too just with some mild pine to liven it up. The taste is good but the flavors come off artificial, not very appealing. The best thing about this beer is the mouth feel, for 9% its light and actually refreshing. (259 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

this isn't my favorite dipa but it wasn't bad. big sweet citrus and some funk, kind of off. the flavor doesn't provide all that, mostly the aroma. flavor has boozey and bitter. can't really give this an A because I preferred hop wallop which was an A- for me. (259 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, malts. Taste is tropical fruits, hoppy, malts are present, medium bitterness, alcohol well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a pretty good beer, but nothing spectacular. (303 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a fresh 12oz bottle

Smell: Grapefruit. Orange. Citrus. Subtle notes of hops

Taste: Tastes just like it smells. It's a very easy and smooth drinking beer. Surprised at the alcohol content to be honest. It might become a go-to for a summer day beer choice. (287 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: straw golden - the color of a typical tripel. Slightly hazy, 2 inch white head forms and attractive lacing is left.

S: loads of grapefruit on the nose.

T: grapefruit with definite pine undertones. Finishes off dry and fairly bitter. Abv hidden quite well this is a drinkable beer.

M: a medium bodied beer

O: this is a very good DIPA but definitely not on the elite level that I feel dirtwolf is on. Perhaps it's just my preference in taste in ipas. Anyways, definitely try it (482 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz bottle, think I paid $2.99. Color was yellow, clear, sticky lacing. Aroma was ammonia and cat pee, super hoppy bits of pine and earth, still not my favorite hop profile but not bad and certainly extra hoppy. Flavor was mostly hops, earthy, but if pine, lots of hops. This actually his the alcohol quite well for 9%. (320 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - clear golden straw color with white head

Smell - mango, grapefruit, onion

Taste - mango, grapefruit, onion

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, somewhat sticky, the onion flavor is a bit off putting

Overall - this was a but underwhelming, it was tough to enjoy given the onion flavor of this

Price point - $2.59/12 oz single (352 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pale yellow, golden color, some opacity, white head, with lacing. Very pretty.

S - First sign of an issue. There is strong, strong fruit of citrus, maybe a little mango. All good, but there is a vegetal odor coming across as onions, and some hint of ammonia. Such great notes mingle with the less welcome one, making this a mixed bag.

T - Following the smell, with fruit up front. The grapefruit element is first, but you have other notes too, of peach, and mango primarily. The onion element is more hidden, but still present. Close is slightly bitter.

M - Crisp and amazingly easy to drink. No sign of that ABV.

O - I enjoy the fruit, the snappy clean finish, and easy drinkability, but I am not a fan of onions in my beer, and the ammonia smell also was unpleasant. About half a great beer, and the rest not so much. (827 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is about a finger high, white in shade, and very creamy looking. Both the retention and the lacing left behind is pretty good. I'm a sucker for straw-colored IPAs, so this deserves bonus points.

S: Very, very fruity. Peaches, mangoes, grapefruit, hell, there might be something suggesting papaya. I'm also picking up blueberries. The malt backbone is imperceptible, and that's exactly how I like it. Having said that, the nose isn't all sunshine and rainbows - there's something ever-so-slightly off about it. I want to say it's a bit heavy in cat pee or ammonia, so I think I will. Having said that, it's a good nose, but man, it could have been a fuckin' fantastic one.

T: Its hop profile opens the beer up intensely, with notes of blueberry, grapefruit, melon, mango, and peaches. I might as well say this has no malt to it - really, it doesn't, this is purely a showcase for the hops. However, it finishes weirdly. Just like I said in the nose, there's something that doesn't fully gel with me and it's hard to place exactly what it is. The more I sip it, the more it hits me - it's oniony. I don't mind an oniony DIPA, honest to Jebus, but here it's a little too intense.

M: Super crisp, super light, super drinkable. This is its trump card - it almost goes down like a 4% blond ale, only it's 9%. The zesty carbonation helps it go down easily.

O: I like this beer a whole lot, just like DirtWolf. Also like DirtWolf, I don't quite love it. Onion, when it's in small doses, can be great (see: Lagunitas Sucks), this just brings it too strongly. On the plus side, I can't tell you how happy I am to see a DIPA on the market not weighed down with excess malt or excess booze. (1,762 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by May 3, 2015 on bottle. Consumed 12/31/14. Happy NYE.

Surprisingly bright and clear yellow, like a light lager. Nothing stands out to me on this one. I think I prefer Dirt Wolf over this. (196 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%

The aroma is fantastic. Really citrusy smell. The taste was a big let down after the wonderful smell of the beer. The bottle also had large particles floating in the bottom. Pretty disgusting looking. I drank it anyway. Decent IPA but the taste just doesn't live up to the aroma. (285 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light straw color, far lighter than any other IIPA I've ever had. An aggressive pour yields a generous head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing all down the tulip.
Curious for this style, the nose is almost nonexistent. A slight floral presence, but that's about it.
Taste revels very balanced hop bitterness, almost but not quite covered up by the sweetness of the honey. Hops are slightly understated for the style.
Finish is the same slight bitter but a lot of sweet. Would I drink this beer again? Yes, absolutely.
Would I buy this beer again? Probably not, especially with a case of Hopslam in the cellar. This beer suffer by comparison. (667 characters)

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company