Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013)
4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Victory is really starting to make some good stuff. I like Dirt Wolf better, but this is a very good IPA.

Its light in color, compared to most IPAs, and tastes great for a 9% beer.

I have to stock up on this before its gone in Feb!

Highly Recommended, and I hope the bros get to review!

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bright golden yellow color with a slight haze covered by a small, tightly bubbled head that shrinks to large groups of soapy bubbles at the edges. Peppery, pungent hop aroma featuring pink grapefruit, pineapple, and tangerine coated in an aromatic herbal marijuana-like dankness. The dank, resinous, sticky-icky-ness continues into the flavor before transitioning immediately to a more sweet, festive fruit profile. Citrus, mango, grape, melon, and pear all contribute a solid sweetness to counter the initial blast of peppery, herbal weed. Lingering oily, resinous, almost acidic notes left behind. Drinks maybe more like 8%, but you can tell you're drinking a serious beer, even if the alcohol never really shows itself. Medium-plus, creamy body with a fairly hefty bitterness. A big, pungently hoppy DIPA. Victory keeps on kicking ass.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: Many have used the term "fruit juicy" to describe the aroma and I'd be inclined to agree. But I also get a sparkling white grape juice aroma as well. Probably one of the most unique hop aromas I've ever experienced. The aromas are definitely in the "citrus spectrum" but unlike any other American hop I've experienced. Clean fermentation character. No esters or malt character. Can't get past the sparkling white grape juice aroma. Wonderful.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy golden pour with a low thin white head. Laces the snifter wonderfully. No effervescence noted.

Flavor: More sparkling white grape juice. Light lemon lime citrus character. No malt base that I can detect. Balance is bitter. Finish is bone dry.

Mouthfeel: Light, spritzy with high carbonation. No heat, astringency, or creaminess noted.

Overall impression: One of the most unique Double IPA's I've ever had. I loved it. Seems very dry and thin for a double IPA but the unique aroma and flavor are lovely. Glad to try it.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting for this one. Found it in Wegmans today. Weird that my local beer store didn't have it out. Anyway, I really wanted to see how this compares with Dirtwolf. I think I'd need to try them side by side to really compare, but unfortunately I finished my last four pack of Dirtwolf. Maybe I can find one this week.

Anyway, it pours very light yellow in color. Smells great. Citrusy and fruity in general. Bursting with the same when tasted. Others have said there's an earthy taste to. I'd have to agree. I've been a little negative after all the Dirtwolf hype, but I have to say that both of these are really tasty new DIPAs with comparatively low prices. Thank you, Victory!

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a really excellent AIPA, but I am not in the mood for this right now. I should have opened something else. However, I'll be objective. It is beautiful in the glass - light yellow, minor head. The aroma is strong but not offensive. Very hoppy, nutty and almost a funky popcorn smell. Unusual.

The taste is first rate - clean and balanced, and the aftertaste is the same. It is not a heavy taste at all - very refreshing.

I will need to try this again and from a different glass - maybe my mug is giving me a false reading on aromas.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%