Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Ratings: 2,084 | Reviews: 352
4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

Pour from 12oz into tulip. Pours a hazy golden-orange with a short white head. Haze clarifies pretty quickly as the beer comes to temp. Nose is very floral and tropical. Taste is mirror of nose, with a nice balance of bitter-to-malt for the IIPA style. There is a blast of booze in the finish, but not unwelcome. The combo of floral and tropical (some have noted citrus, I didn't get that in my taste) is very well blended and makes a great hop forward flavor combo. I prefer a touch more linger on the palate than this offered, but this is a solid offering.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Tasty big IPA. Pours a dark gold, mostly clear color into a pint glass. Big white head with average retention. Aroma is very good with floral and citrus hops. Taste is the best aspect. Nice and bitter with a little bit of balancing malt. The hops are somewhat floral and also a big citrus component- nice and bitter with a bit of dry biscuity malt for balance. Mouthfeel is crisp and rich with little alcohol presence. A good DIPA. I would happily drink this one again.

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a sample of this recently up at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell and ended up buying a four-pack of this up in Totowa a few weeks later. I've had some great hoppy beers as of late and was hoping that this would live up to it's lofty rating and be on par with that. Although this wasn't a complete disappointment, there seemed to be something missing from here. The strong citrus flavors in the nose and taste weren't that strong in actuality and the earthy notes ended up sticking out more. The alcohol was fairly recessed as well, leading me to feel that this was a regular IPA and not one of the Imperial type.

Poured like a Pils in terms of the hue and head but this had some cloudy residue that swirled around for quite a while. Not an overpowering or long-lasting head but it was full enough and the beer left a nice web of lacing on the back side of my pint glass. A fair amount of blood orange was in the nose as well as the taste, as this beer was pretty juicy with an earthy resin base underneath that. Some tropical fruit was here as well but it never fully shone, which was the case with the alcohol as well. The back of this beer is where the metallic, earthy undertone comes through for a brief moment before slowly fading away, leaving me wanting another sip to start the process over again.

I could feel some warming as I made my way through this but this was nowhere near as strong as the more potent Imperial IPA's that I've had before. The carbonation was decent but the malt base wasn't and this just seemed a bit overwhelming from start to finish. While not a bad choice, this was not as alluring as the Dirt Wolf or as memorable as stronger and more flavorful Imperial IPA's that I've enjoyed. A good offering from Victory that will satisfy their followers and most hopheads but just a bit lacking when it came to the lasting factor.

3.66/5  rDev -13.3%

The aroma is fantastic. Really citrusy smell. The taste was a big let down after the wonderful smell of the beer. The bottle also had large particles floating in the bottom. Pretty disgusting looking. I drank it anyway. Decent IPA but the taste just doesn't live up to the aroma.

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was all over the place. The look was a clear yellow pilsner/lager with a white head that dissipated quickly. I could not find hops on the nose. the smell of a bitter lager was present. The taste was sweet and more lager than hoppy, that being said, I did like it quite a bit. Feel was smooth. Beer is a very good beer, but hard for me to find the IPA elements that I would look for.

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz into my Spiegelau. Pale amber hue (I hear they use all pils malt), and about 1/2 finger of quickly dissipating, loose white bubbles. Did not get the big citrus, etc that the description/other reviewers got at all. Maybe a hint on the nose and the palate, but the dominant aromas in my opinion were of the earthy/resiny variety. I got a really dank (almost cheesy; in a good way) note on the nose that overpowered anything in the 'citrus' spectrum. There was a distinct bitterness on the nose (not unlike DirtWolf) where with a big deep huff you can actually feel it in your eyes (if you have tried this, you know what I mean). Huge up-front bitterness on the palate, with lots of nice, dank goodness, pine actually came through on the back of the palate. This was not a usual (fruit juice) IIPA for me, and that is actually something I like. Light mouthfeel for a pretty big beer. No noticeable alcohol burn, etc. Hint of an oily, lingering quality of the mouthfeel that allowed the flavors to hang around for a few moments (pine dominated here, though the resiny notes were around too). This beer made me think. I thought about hops (and all of the characteristics that different varieties bring to the party), I thought about my palate (and why some reviewers are getting different aromas/flavors dominating), and I thought about why I enjoy tasting and reviewing beers so much. I don't often get that with a standard profile IIPA. Victory consistently makes me think about what I am tasting. Not too many other breweries can do that (Upper Hand also comes to mind). Cheers BAs! UPDATE: This was very different on draft. DID get tons of big citrus and tropical notes... nice, dry finish with juiciness throughout. Easily a 4 all-around on draft.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer looks like a pils and smells like one too just with some mild pine to liven it up. The taste is good but the flavors come off artificial, not very appealing. The best thing about this beer is the mouth feel, for 9% its light and actually refreshing.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Don't like the smell, but the taste far out ways it!

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straw colored with a touch of golden hue, small white head and minimal lacing. Citrus, tropical and herbal aromas in abundance. Citrus up front and tropical through the middle with a slight herbal finish. This might be the first beer where I get noticeable pineapple with mango supporting and a herbal touch at the end. Bright carbonation, thinner feel and slightly dry on the finish. How can a 9% ABV beer be refreshing? This one pulls it off, great DIPA!

2.64/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Bottle that's best by 05.24.15, poured into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A bit cloudy with a thin, filmy white head. Looks fine.

S: Smells like a pilsner mixed with lots of pine needles and caramel. Unpleasant.

T: Dominant flavors of artificial grapefruit juice, saccharine caramel malts, raw pine sap, and a touch of dish soap. Gross.

M: Creamy, a bit fizzy, and smooth. Really nice.

O: A real stinker. It's done in by its failed effort to play the artificial citrus bitterness against the overpowering caramel sweetness. Funny those two wrongs didn't make a right. Loved the mouthfeel, though.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, golden amber color with decent head retention and lacing. On the nose, you get a decent amount of citrus and tropical fruit, with maybe a hint of pine in the background. The flavor profile is more of the same in this easy to appreciate IPA, and the light bitterness on the finish balances the tropical fruit nicely. The beer really doesn't drink like a 9% abv, beer (I would have guessed an abv. in the low 7% range), and there's a softness on the palate that is nice. The beer delivers plenty of flavor otherwise, and drinkability is quite good.

At least for me, I think I like this better than the other DIPA's I've had from Victory (hop wallop and dirt wolf). Nice beer.

3.74/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle served in a tulip. Enjoy by 24 May 2015 printed on the label. Pours a bright honey gold with a slight haze to the clarity and a loose, quarter inch bright white head. Nose is a bit subdued - citrus peel and some light earthy/herbal aromatics with a hint of tangerine towards the back. Taste consistent with nose. I'm really not all that blown away by the flavor profile - a bit on the simple side. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a lively carbonation just shy of prickly and a light acidity that stimulates the back of the tongue. Overall, decent but nothing to write home about. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden but I'm quite surprised by the high ratings.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Enjoy by June 6, 2015 printed on the bottle.

A- Pours a clear light yellowish color with a good amount of white head that sticks around for awhile.

S- Heavy citrus notes on the smell, very nice smelling. Bursting with oranges and mango.

T- Best of both hop worlds on the taste. While the citrus notes carry into the taste, I also get a rather dank pine taste as well.

M- Light to medium bodied, good carbonation, very easy drinking.

A great DIPA from Victory.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good! Out of bottle 9%. Rivals one of my favs Enjoy By by Stone. This a must get!!

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Straw / faint yellow appearance with a fast breaking one finger head. There is some small pieces of junk in the bottom of my glass - I presume this is an unfiltered beer which is cool. Smells great - lots of juicy tropical fruits such as grapefruit, pineapple and orange. Taste is complex, dank and bright all at the same time with earthy pine, orange and grapefruit flavors. Lighter bodied with good carbonation. Overall this is a great beer that has a lively, fresh taste to it that keeps you coming back for more. Highly recommended.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Semi hazy light pale yellow body. Didn’t have much head. Wonderful pineapple floral aroma. Wow is this good. Lots of pineapple sweet taste. Excellent!

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 355 ml bottle (best by April 25, 2015) into a tulip.

A-The beer is lightly golden tinted orange and yellow. It is nearly clear with just a hint of haze. There are a few bubbles of carbonation to be seen. The head is about one finger of light tan foam with decent retention. Some nice, fine lacing on the glass.

S-The aroma is pleasantly tropical and juicy. I smell orange, orange zest, hints of lemon and mint, and a bit of white pepper. The hops are barely balanced by a sweet, honey, buttered toast malt base. Nice.

T-The taste is also tropical, but the beer is not a complete juice bomb. Sweet orange, orange zest, lemon, tropical fruit like mango, and a hint of pepper spice with moderate bitterness. Alcohol is well concealed but there is a little earthy medicinal flavor in there. The hops are balanced by malts that suggest honey and toast.

M-The feel is on the heavy side of average with a fine carbonation of average strength. Drinkable.

O-Wow, this beer really surprised me. I have not been a huge Victory fan, but this may change my mind. This beer manages to balance fruity, tropical hop notes with more earthy hop notes (without giving me the onion flavor that I have noticed in other Victory beers), all the while balancing the hops against the malt bill very nicely. One of the better IIPAs I have had in a while. I will be looking for more of this.

3.31/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Did not like anything about this beer to be honest.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured one finger of head. Dark straw color. Head dissipates quickly.
Aroma is huge citrus, a nice breadiness to it, an oily hop aroma, fresh cut grass, and grapefruit rind.
Taste is one of my new favorite IPA’s. The beer is immediately super crisp and light, however, then the flavor bomb hits you… I get a huge hit of beautiful citrus (lemons and grapefruit juice primarily). I get a mild hop bitterness followed by a hop oiliness. Super well-balanced. The beer isn’t overly bitter and fades as the sip ends. It doesn’t linger nor coat the palate. The nice carbonation makes this beer super refreshing and light on the palate rather than that obnoxious thickness. I get some peach as the beer warms near the end of the sip.
Overall, this is just a real nice beer. It isn’t overly thick or aggressive. Perfect balance of bitterness, citrus, malt, and carbonation. I would pair it with a shrimp ceviche with tropical fruits mixed in like mango and papaya. I really wouldn’t change much about this beer, but If I had to, I would say just a kiss more carbonation, but really it’s not even required. I give it a 97/100

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shockingly, Very reminiscent of Heady. Pleasant surprise, stoked I was able to pick up a 4-pack.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer has marijuana smell and taste but with some citrus. Creamy feel and great lacing with a golden color.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up last wknd for the first time and popped a bottle this evening. Pretty darn nice. I would definitely buy this one again. Exactly what I would look for in this style.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful, champagne effervescent golden straw colour. Sweet florals with tropical fruits aromas and taste. Great light, carbonated mouth feel. Great effort from Victory!!!

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I great offering from Victory. Light straw colored body with a sticky bouquet of floral and juicy tropical fruits, white grape, sweet tarts, glassy and citrus. This beer is all about the hops without tongue numbing bitterness.

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic DIPA! Thanks Victory Brewing

This one looked and tasted different from any DIPA that I have had. $9.99 per 4 pack...Great beer at a Great price!

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company