Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ale pours a hazy golden color with a very slight white head and decent spiderweb lacing. The nose is incredible. Fresh citrus, pine, peaches, even mangoes and papayas. All the awesome scents a fresh west coast Ipa should have. The taste is a little lighter than the aroma with all the flavors still present but slightly subdued. If Victory could of made the flavors shine in the mouth as much as they did on the nose, this cpuld be the best dipa I've ever had. None the less, it is a great beer and definitely worth trying; if not seeking out.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a 4 pack after hearing alot about this. I gotta say I am impressed.
A-Theres alot of yeast floating around in this one, nice. Pours a hazy pale pilsner color. At 9%, it sure doesnt look like it! Appears very thin, which is intriguing. Great lacing, thin head.
S- If I didnt know any better Id say I just bought a bottle of pure pineapple juice! Delightful! upon further inspection, I get hints of peach, or apricot... possibly mango or passion fruit. Wow, I just moved it up to 4.5 from 4.25, the aroma is just epic. Cant stop smelling it. I want to bathe in it.
T- Wow! theres alot going on here. The alcohol is non existent. I taste pineapple, peach, mango... I hear the Mosaic hop gives off a hint of blueberry, and yes, I do beleive its there. What a great name for a hop, it fits the description perfectly... so many wonderful fruity flavors going on. I am really glad I just ordered a pound of Mosaic to play around with in my next home brew! This beer is fucking delicious, I need a keg of it. We have a winner, Im gonna go see if I can get all they have left of it at the liquor store.
M- for 9% this is an easy drinker, I almost gave it a lower score, but the ABV makes me say it is outstanding, They used pilsner malt in it, so its supposed to be sorta thin, they nailed it on every aspect of this beer. Victory, my hats off to you.
Overall I am in love with this beer, its not youre everyday Imperial IPA. If youre looking for a sweet not too bitter tropical/stone fruit bomb, here it is!

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light straw color, far lighter than any other IIPA I've ever had. An aggressive pour yields a generous head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing all down the tulip.
Curious for this style, the nose is almost nonexistent. A slight floral presence, but that's about it.
Taste revels very balanced hop bitterness, almost but not quite covered up by the sweetness of the honey. Hops are slightly understated for the style.
Finish is the same slight bitter but a lot of sweet. Would I drink this beer again? Yes, absolutely.
Would I buy this beer again? Probably not, especially with a case of Hopslam in the cellar. This beer suffer by comparison.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

I give Victory a great deal of credit for this beer. This is not like 99% of the imperial DIPAs out there. Extremely pale yellow color - different citrus aromas and taste. It won't be for everyone - disagree completely with any comparison to Hopslam - I know a Michigan Bell's fan that would kill for Hopslam that hates this beer. After producing Dirtwolf - Victory went in a completely 180 degree opposite direction - love it as a contrast to the orange color hop dominated IPAs which I also love.

4.14/5  rDev -2.1%

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.99/5  rDev +18%

Appearance - Lighter color than most DIPA's. A one finger white head after a vigorous pour. Not a lot of carbonation seen in my Belgian glass.

Smell - An overwhelming smell of grapefruit from the hops. I love grapefruit taste in IPA's so the smell is a very good indication I will like this beer.

Taste - Scratch "like the beer" and replace with "love this beer". True to the smell an amazing grapefruit taste. I can't believe that this is 9% and I am even more amazed that Victory did not disclose the abv on the bottle (that I can see).

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy feel, what I would say is low to medium bodied.

Overall - This is my #1 beer as of tonight (the first time I tried it). I can't say enough good things about it. In comparing with DirtWolf I rate this beer much higher. For me DirtWolf had a boozie taste to it which I did not like (but DirtWolf is still a great beer).

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%

This was a great beer, though it's not going to get the full detailed description review, so I will describe as is. Poured golden bright yellow, a very safe looking IPA with great white, fine bubbles. Like a bubbly foam. Didnt get much on the nose. I got a slight wiff of sweet malt and that was it. Had me wondering about the taste. The taste made up for the lack of nose. It was just hidden in there, like the hidden valley RANCH! HAAA!! I'll stop.
Overall, it was an excellent beer. Would I feel sad if I wasn't able to find it again next year? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Sure.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%