Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%

I give Victory a great deal of credit for this beer. This is not like 99% of the imperial DIPAs out there. Extremely pale yellow color - different citrus aromas and taste. It won't be for everyone - disagree completely with any comparison to Hopslam - I know a Michigan Bell's fan that would kill for Hopslam that hates this beer. After producing Dirtwolf - Victory went in a completely 180 degree opposite direction - love it as a contrast to the orange color hop dominated IPAs which I also love.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - Lighter color than most DIPA's. A one finger white head after a vigorous pour. Not a lot of carbonation seen in my Belgian glass.

Smell - An overwhelming smell of grapefruit from the hops. I love grapefruit taste in IPA's so the smell is a very good indication I will like this beer.

Taste - Scratch "like the beer" and replace with "love this beer". True to the smell an amazing grapefruit taste. I can't believe that this is 9% and I am even more amazed that Victory did not disclose the abv on the bottle (that I can see).

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy feel, what I would say is low to medium bodied.

Overall - This is my #1 beer as of tonight (the first time I tried it). I can't say enough good things about it. In comparing with DirtWolf I rate this beer much higher. For me DirtWolf had a boozie taste to it which I did not like (but DirtWolf is still a great beer).

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

This was a great beer, though it's not going to get the full detailed description review, so I will describe as is. Poured golden bright yellow, a very safe looking IPA with great white, fine bubbles. Like a bubbly foam. Didnt get much on the nose. I got a slight wiff of sweet malt and that was it. Had me wondering about the taste. The taste made up for the lack of nose. It was just hidden in there, like the hidden valley RANCH! HAAA!! I'll stop.
Overall, it was an excellent beer. Would I feel sad if I wasn't able to find it again next year? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Sure.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Victory Hop Ranch

Does Victory brew anything wrong . . . I think not !

Poured into tulip glass

A: Agree, light straw color with sediment in bottom of glass

S: Nice ! Strong floral hop presence with a touch of honey

T: Just fantastic as well. Dare I say similar to Hopslam ?

M: Smooth and creamy for an iipa

O: Fantastic beer ! Great job Victory ! I would really like a chance to do a blind taste test between this and Hopslam. Careful with this one people . . . Drinks like a 6% ipa rather than a 9% iipa.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company