Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,011 | Reviews: 343

very balanced between the light, biscuity pilsner malt, the juicy mosiac, and the lightly grassy and green onion notes of the azacca hop. doesn't taste or feel 9%. one of the most well-rounded imperial ipas i've had in a long while. fantastic.

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

I have to say Victory has been on its game lately Dirtwolf and now Hop Ranch their Imperial IPA is right on target. Amazing aroma of tropical fruit, and citrus, taste is right on more tropical fruit, citrus, slight pine and a bit resiny. The sticky resiny flavor really comes through in the backbone with slight malt sweetness to round out this huge IPA extremely drinkable for such a big beer, absolutely delicious!

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - Lighter color than most DIPA's. A one finger white head after a vigorous pour. Not a lot of carbonation seen in my Belgian glass.

Smell - An overwhelming smell of grapefruit from the hops. I love grapefruit taste in IPA's so the smell is a very good indication I will like this beer.

Taste - Scratch "like the beer" and replace with "love this beer". True to the smell an amazing grapefruit taste. I can't believe that this is 9% and I am even more amazed that Victory did not disclose the abv on the bottle (that I can see).

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy feel, what I would say is low to medium bodied.

Overall - This is my #1 beer as of tonight (the first time I tried it). I can't say enough good things about it. In comparing with DirtWolf I rate this beer much higher. For me DirtWolf had a boozie taste to it which I did not like (but DirtWolf is still a great beer).

4.96/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours light, golden, clean and clear. Lacing is light. Smell is beautiful, hoppy, with sweet fruit. The mouthfeel is shockingly light and clean...the easiest 9% beer i've ever drank. Bordering on sessionable. The taste is perfect. Hops are balanced and accentuated by fruit... Overall, just a wonderful beer. Not to over react, but this is my favorite IPA. Case worthy to say the least.

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours golden yellow with nice head and retention. Instantly you get a wiff of fruit and hops. Apricots come to mind first with the smell. Although I'm not a big fan of Victory beers this one seems to have high potential.

The taste is great. A nice balance between sweeter fruit, citrus, and hops. It's a very smooth beer all the way through. It never strays to far in any direction with the hops. Possibly the only knock is that the citrus gets a bit overpowered by sweet fruit taste but that being very critical.

Overall, this beer is world class. Very impressed, and this is coming from a person that isn't a Victory fan. Maybe the best DIPA on the market.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Phenomenal beer, an instant favorite. Gotta love the hints of citrus, so pleasing to the nostrils and palate. I bought 2 cases of this after trying it on tap at a local bar. Too bad it is seasonal, I want this year-round. I do happen to like it better than dirt wolf.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Surprisingly pale... pilsner pale. The head is almost non-existent unless you do a hard pour, and even then it dissipates quickly leaving thin, sticky lace on the glass.

Smell: Mango and pineapple dominate the aroma. A little papaya, too?

Taste: Pineapple, papaya and mango are in abundance here. The malty sweetness works in perfect harmony with the hops.

Mouthfeel: How is this beer 9%? It's silky-smooth and so easy to drink. I'd guess 6%, tops, in a blind taste test. This could be deadly... in a good way.

Overall: I originally commented that DirtWolf was the best beer Victory created in years. It only took them two months to top it. I will enjoy my case immensely and will definitely buy it again next year.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

I live 10 minutes from Victory and would get different variations of their ranch series on tap every now and then. I'm so glad they finally decided to bottle one of them. This is a great, big beer.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

Just had this on draft, Jan 2015 and it was days old fresh and awesome! Pungent aroma of hops, fresh hops from the vine hitting my nose then followed by the first sip of joy. Had a two fister, Dirt Devil next to it and this Hop Ranch was sublime in comparison. Similar, but another aroma level above the Dirt.

They really got this hop balance right, for me. Onion, grapefruit, earthy. Yes, all I want from an IPA with an aroma that projects at least five feet away from the glass. In my opinion, when you try this from a bottle you have not tasted it yet. I did not like it in the bottle last year, but this years draft rules.

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured one finger of head. Dark straw color. Head dissipates quickly.
Aroma is huge citrus, a nice breadiness to it, an oily hop aroma, fresh cut grass, and grapefruit rind.
Taste is one of my new favorite IPA’s. The beer is immediately super crisp and light, however, then the flavor bomb hits you… I get a huge hit of beautiful citrus (lemons and grapefruit juice primarily). I get a mild hop bitterness followed by a hop oiliness. Super well-balanced. The beer isn’t overly bitter and fades as the sip ends. It doesn’t linger nor coat the palate. The nice carbonation makes this beer super refreshing and light on the palate rather than that obnoxious thickness. I get some peach as the beer warms near the end of the sip.
Overall, this is just a real nice beer. It isn’t overly thick or aggressive. Perfect balance of bitterness, citrus, malt, and carbonation. I would pair it with a shrimp ceviche with tropical fruits mixed in like mango and papaya. I really wouldn’t change much about this beer, but If I had to, I would say just a kiss more carbonation, but really it’s not even required. I give it a 97/100

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Best by May 25 2014

A: Slightly hazy, golden-yellow with a huuuuge, frothy, soapy, pillowy, bright white head. Leaves behind some decent lacing and a bit of thin retention.

S: A unique hop profile. Extremely floral while also having massive citrus qualities. Sugary and sweet. Juicy. It's like I'm drinking it through my nose. Incredible.

T: Similar to the nose. This is the juiciest beer I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Unbelievable. So freakin' delicious!

M: Way too easy to drink. Seriously. Beyond smooth, almost creamy, and perfect carbonation. Body is superb. Flavor is endless. This beer brings a smile to your face. And a decent buzz after one bottle.

O: I would drink a 4-pack of this every day if the circumstances allowed for that. Such a well-executed beer by Victory. With this and DirtWolf, they're back on my radar!

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer smells and tastes amazing. Hops carried to my tongue by a nice malty backbone that, despite it's 9% tag isn't too sweet. Blown away by how good this beer is, like a citrus bomb Heady Topper.
A: Honestly, it's not a very pretty beer. But that doesn't matter.
S: This beer smells like I'm sticking my face in a pallet of hops.
T: Citrusy hop beautifulness with some nice bitterness in the finish.
O: Love this beer!

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a golden sunrise color, fluffy white head and fine lace

Smell: Grapefruit juice, pineapple candy, sweet

Taste: More citrus with grapefruit, candied lemons, mango

Mouthfeel - Rich and satisfying but easily quaffed

One of the best Imperial IPAs I've had. I don't know if we can expect this to be part of Victory's regular lineup or just a seasonal offering. Either way, more IPAs should be designed this way. The punch-in-the-face impact of the fruit hop aroma, high ABV, and easy drinkablility makes this a great beer to look forward to after a long day.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company