Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Reviews: 314 | Hads: 2,107
3.68/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light straw color, perhaps the lightest IPA I've encountered. Nice white head and the beer is very clear but for a few round particles that look like dried yeast granuals. Looks appropriately carbonated.

S- Very different from any IPA I've had before. Some white vinegar, very light tropical fruit, white wine. Some bitter grape seed.

T- At first I really didn't like this beer, I waited until the 3rd bottle of the 4 pack to review it. There are still some aspects to this beer I don't like, I think the malt is too light for one. And I just don't think I'm digging these Azacca hops. Having said that there is a big grapefruit presence and some underlying tropical fruits that I wish were more prominent. Had a real sprucey pine aspect to it that I didn't care for.

M- The has a good medium-light mouthfeel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to it.
One thing I'll give it is that it is extremely drinkable as far as hiding the ABV is concerned.

O- Everyone seems to be in love with this beer but I'm really going back and forth on it. One thing I'll give it though is it hides it's ABV extremely well. Hoping to catch this on tap and see if I like it any better.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at City Tap House, Philly, PA

Served in a tulip glass, a pristine, clear, golden-yellow color, with a small, retaining, white head, that dotted the glass with lacing; tiny Champagne-like bubbles perpetually popped from the bottom. Nice aroma, full of lemony hops and ripe tropical fruits. After the aroma, the taste was a bit of a let-down. Lemon pith, neutral alcohol, and a lasting graininess, ushering in a wave of bitterness that, though appropriate for the style, seemed to wash away much of the fruity/citrusy goodness that I was expecting from the nose. Slightly metallic in the aftertaste, but within tolerance. Medium body, decently drinkable. Solid overall, but probably not something I'd revisit too often.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

enjoy by 24 may 2015 1312 P printed vertically by the bar code

A- on a hardy pour you'll see the transparent straw color with some sediment floating around. expected from just having pilsner malt and being hopped up. white frothy head that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S- light aroma. boozy with citrus. tropical fruits noticeable.

T- alcohol is highly tasted. not to the point where it's completely dominating but blasting any taste from the malt that would be present. you get the tropical hops and the bitterness also. mostly pineapple, mango, and lemon

M- medium light bodied. really good carbonation.

DRINKABILITY (bring it back!) - i'm on beer number three right now and i'll easily kill the four pack.

Overall- first off this beer isn't shabby by any means but I think their dirtwolf chews it up and pisses all over it. I appreciate single malt ipa's a lot being a complete hop head. the light pilsner malt should showcase the hops but the bitterness and the alcohol just throws a shadow over the hoppy taste which is a bummer. if you're a brewer this beer is spot on from the description on ingredients from their website. I wish they threw more mosaic for flavor and aroma, not being a huge fan of the hipster (tropical) hops (pineapple, mango, lemon) and more from the classic( grapefruit and pine) this one isn't for me.

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Foggy, lemon-ish, golden hue

S: Citrus (especially grapefruit), pungent hop and pine aromas play off one another nicely. Tropical fruit undertones, specifically mango, come through nicely.

T: I was surprised to find that the tropical fruit notes in the smell took more of a leading role in the taste profile. Pine and hop bitterness were also present and were accompanied by honeysuckle, orange, grapefruit, pineapple and even more mango.

M: Good amount of carbonation. Medium bodied.

O: Not my favorite from Victory but a very respectable offering. Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

A- straw, looks like a Saison

S- hoppy ,citrusy Lemon Pledge (furniture polish),ONION

T- pineapple, candied orange zest. Zero bitterness, which is fine with me.Pickled ginger ( like what u get with sushi)

M- fizzy ginger ale. Quite dry, which is very refreshing

O- ok, I love non bitter ipa's but this lacks the floral notes of the king: NEBCO Gandhi Bot. Fizzy with nondescript malt backbone. Wimpy mouthfeel ...Not going back for another, even though I respect Victory and like most of their beers.

Hop Devil is great, Dirt wolf is assertive, Nugget Nectar and Stoudt's DIPA have excellent malt backbone. This one is thin and citrusy: easy quaff, but not rewarding.

It would be good with sushi

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was all over the place. The look was a clear yellow pilsner/lager with a white head that dissipated quickly. I could not find hops on the nose. the smell of a bitter lager was present. The taste was sweet and more lager than hoppy, that being said, I did like it quite a bit. Feel was smooth. Beer is a very good beer, but hard for me to find the IPA elements that I would look for.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz into my Spiegelau. Pale amber hue (I hear they use all pils malt), and about 1/2 finger of quickly dissipating, loose white bubbles. Did not get the big citrus, etc that the description/other reviewers got at all. Maybe a hint on the nose and the palate, but the dominant aromas in my opinion were of the earthy/resiny variety. I got a really dank (almost cheesy; in a good way) note on the nose that overpowered anything in the 'citrus' spectrum. There was a distinct bitterness on the nose (not unlike DirtWolf) where with a big deep huff you can actually feel it in your eyes (if you have tried this, you know what I mean). Huge up-front bitterness on the palate, with lots of nice, dank goodness, pine actually came through on the back of the palate. This was not a usual (fruit juice) IIPA for me, and that is actually something I like. Light mouthfeel for a pretty big beer. No noticeable alcohol burn, etc. Hint of an oily, lingering quality of the mouthfeel that allowed the flavors to hang around for a few moments (pine dominated here, though the resiny notes were around too). This beer made me think. I thought about hops (and all of the characteristics that different varieties bring to the party), I thought about my palate (and why some reviewers are getting different aromas/flavors dominating), and I thought about why I enjoy tasting and reviewing beers so much. I don't often get that with a standard profile IIPA. Victory consistently makes me think about what I am tasting. Not too many other breweries can do that (Upper Hand also comes to mind). Cheers BAs! UPDATE: This was very different on draft. DID get tons of big citrus and tropical notes... nice, dry finish with juiciness throughout. Easily a 4 all-around on draft.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

12 oz bottle poured into small hotel glass

A: superb clarity, looks a little darker than bud light in the glass very soft pour and very cold so no head.

S: smells very bready at first hint a light straw smell reminiscent of a pilsner

T: Very big hoppy presence a floral fruity hop but more floral and has a lot of a pilsner taste but super hoppy

M: very medium bodied for 9%

O: I remember this being more fruity and over the top hoppy now it tastes more bready and more like a pilsner. I think in a month of so this beer might actually be better than it is now.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle served in a tulip. Enjoy by 24 May 2015 printed on the label. Pours a bright honey gold with a slight haze to the clarity and a loose, quarter inch bright white head. Nose is a bit subdued - citrus peel and some light earthy/herbal aromatics with a hint of tangerine towards the back. Taste consistent with nose. I'm really not all that blown away by the flavor profile - a bit on the simple side. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a lively carbonation just shy of prickly and a light acidity that stimulates the back of the tongue. Overall, decent but nothing to write home about. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden but I'm quite surprised by the high ratings.

3.74/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My local bottle shop was trying to move these, so had them priced the same as Dirtwolf, one of my favorite Double IPAs. It's a great beer, but I can't help feeling that it's inferior to Dirtwolf and a touch redundant. I mean, this is a DIPA at 9% and Dirtwolf is 8.7 I think. It's a little sweet for my liking, but is ingenious for a midwinter release in the Northeast. On the whole, I don't think it stands out too much among Victory's world class offerings, and lacks that extra something/ punch I hoped for.

Enjoy by date May 19th. Reviewed on January 30th

Appearance: Light golden in color with a slight haze. Thin head, but with a great deal of retention. Minimal lacing. [3.0/5.0]
Aroma: Pineapple and mango. Little bit of melon. Grapefruit. Almost no presence of malt. Slight cereal/pilsner malt. [4.0]
Flavor: Tropical and stone fruit. Little bit of pine and a great deal of grapefruit. The bitterness is strong up front but overall pretty mellow (less than DirtWolf). Very clean malt presence. Finishes with a little residual sweetness. [3.5/5.0]
Feel: Highly carbonated. The bitterness is not terribly high and it certainly doesn't linger. Somewhat dry, but has some sugar to help balance the high alcohol and hop content. Very drinkable. [4.5/5.0]
Overall: Another solid new DIPA from Victory. This one is a little simpler than DirtWolf (IMO), but it is highly enjoyable. Feel and the aroma are the highlights of this beer. [3.75/5.0]

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Golden color, very transparent, 1 finger white head settles quickly leaving a ring around the glass, some active carbonation.

Smell - Sweet tropical fruits. Mango, pineapple, kiwi, white grape, almost no alcohol what so ever.

Taste - Not what I had expected. Sweet on the palate but not getting the sweet tropical fruit flavors that we're in the nose. Mild mango and maybe slight orange citrus at the beginning hard to say, not getting much in the middle maybe a slight spiciness, ends with an earthy grain flavor which is again very mild.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is on the lighter side but still very refreshing. Medium body.

Overall - Sorry fellas but this one left me a bit dissapointed. I loved hop wallop and I'm sad I never reviewed one, but that beer turned me on to victory. Having hop ranch and it being such a hyped up beer I thought I would have gotten more flavor!!! Make your own choices, but I don't know that I will seek this out again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with big dense white head, settles slowly to a thin layer, rings of thick lace down the glass. Smell: muted lemon peel, grass, nectarine. Taste: pineapple, citrus, grass; backing is white grape and unripe pear. Tongue numbing but sticky sweet. Doesn't do it for me, but semi interesting. Oh, and seems Victory's still at it with their date codes. Call it "Hop Ranch" and date it 6 months out. The Anti-Enjoy By.

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle with a BB May 2015 date stamp.

Slightly hazy golden-amber body with visible carbonation and topped by a durable and creamy white head. Outstanding lacing with a near full coat sticking to the glass.

Aroma: strong hops with hints of pineapple and citrus.

Flavor: Seemed a bit too hopped for me at first sip, like many DIPAs, but I quickly adjusted to what now seemed like a rather well balanced flavor with only moderate bitterness. Still, this will not appeal to people who are not fond of hops. Very good complexity with clear notes of tropical and citrus fruits, most notably the tropical fruits.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a sample of this recently up at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell and ended up buying a four-pack of this up in Totowa a few weeks later. I've had some great hoppy beers as of late and was hoping that this would live up to it's lofty rating and be on par with that. Although this wasn't a complete disappointment, there seemed to be something missing from here. The strong citrus flavors in the nose and taste weren't that strong in actuality and the earthy notes ended up sticking out more. The alcohol was fairly recessed as well, leading me to feel that this was a regular IPA and not one of the Imperial type.

Poured like a Pils in terms of the hue and head but this had some cloudy residue that swirled around for quite a while. Not an overpowering or long-lasting head but it was full enough and the beer left a nice web of lacing on the back side of my pint glass. A fair amount of blood orange was in the nose as well as the taste, as this beer was pretty juicy with an earthy resin base underneath that. Some tropical fruit was here as well but it never fully shone, which was the case with the alcohol as well. The back of this beer is where the metallic, earthy undertone comes through for a brief moment before slowly fading away, leaving me wanting another sip to start the process over again.

I could feel some warming as I made my way through this but this was nowhere near as strong as the more potent Imperial IPA's that I've had before. The carbonation was decent but the malt base wasn't and this just seemed a bit overwhelming from start to finish. While not a bad choice, this was not as alluring as the Dirt Wolf or as memorable as stronger and more flavorful Imperial IPA's that I've enjoyed. A good offering from Victory that will satisfy their followers and most hopheads but just a bit lacking when it came to the lasting factor.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An Imperial IPA that pours yellow like an adjunct lager? Seems a bit out of place but that weak fascade is redeemed by a fruitful, extravagant nose. Citrusy tangerines, nectarines, light grapefruit, apricots, honey, caramel maltiness, pithy rinds and pine needles are abundant.

The flavor is good but it's held back by a waxy texture and bitter feel. I get some nice fruit flavor like oranges, limes, perfumey hop cone, light herbal notes, lupilin, honey, very little malt, lemon and pine.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is probably the most "refreshing" DIPA I've ever had. The alcohol is extremely & dangerously well hidden. Very citrusey with an almost european/heffeweizen taste & feel. Very good beer.

That said, I don't know that I'd buy again. When I want "refreshing" I'm not reaching for a 10% ABV. And when I want a 10% ABV I'm looking for a big hop smack & bitterness and a variety of smells & flavors because I'm only drinking one or two of them. This one doesn't have that flavor punch, at least in the way so many other big IPA's do.

Apparently the hops used are kinda different, and it's noticable, and while it was certainly well crafted, maybe those aren't for me.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Best by 4/25/2015. Served in a snfiter 3/14/2015.

A- Dark hazy copper-brown body, two finger thick effervescent white head, fair amount of lacing, good retention. A bit too dark for what I expect from a DIPA.

S- Biscuits, honey, tapioca, mellow citrus, a bit of pine.

F- Sweet pale malt, tapioca, honey with a nice bit of citrus and grapefruit, a little bit of resinous pine. Not particularly complex, but it's quite good. Definitely on the sweeter side, though.

M- Medium bodied, perfect soft mouthfeel on the tongue that imparts a nice resinous bitterness on the backend. Very drinkable.

O- Solid DIPA, it certainly fits within the archetype of a good DIPA, but I would have liked a bit more hoppy goodness to balance out the overall sweetness here.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The beer is ever so slightly cloudy, making one think of lemon juice. The head is relatively high and strikingly white. It recedes slowly, with minimal lacing, but the beer nonetheless appears viscous on the glass. There's an aroma full of the promise of grapefruit; so...here's hoping. But, alas, the expectation of a citrus bomb goes unrequited. What we have here is an anonymous, restrained bitterness. It has a certain piquancy, and it goes down well, but the aromatic volatility of essence of grapefruit rind that one sometimes longs for in a high-powered IPA is missing. The beer's texture is nonetheless satisfyingly rich. It's a good beer, but didn't meet my (perhaps eccentric) citric expectations.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

It is pretty pale in color. It is not quite straw colored. It is hazy. My pour yielded about an inch of off-white head.

It has a pretty solid citrus aroma.

The taste is weak citrus. There is a little pine in the finish.

Moderate to thin mouthfeel

I was really hoping to like this. I guess I do like it, but not enough to seek it out. Victory just doesn't match my palate. I was off of Victory until I finally tried a Dirt Wolf. At least they have one beer that I like a lot.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The appearance was pretty light in my opinion being a golden yellow color. It took a while for the head to form and almost thought it would be a no show, but it did, late in the pour.
The head was bright white and with good retention it last a long while.

The aroma was very hoppy with citrus and tropical notes. I think I detect some pineapple. I smell some pine resin too. The malts smell nice as well.

It was tasty but not on par with the nose. Hop ranch is quite hoppy but more bitter then flavorful. The malts are pretty sweet countering the bitterness. But in general the taste was somewhat of a let down compared to the nose.

On the palate it was dry and bitter with an astringent texture with some subtle warming alcohol.
All in all it's good and solid but not Dirt wolf solid. Not at all.

3.86/5  rDev -7.9%

I give Victory a great deal of credit for this beer. This is not like 99% of the imperial DIPAs out there. Extremely pale yellow color - different citrus aromas and taste. It won't be for everyone - disagree completely with any comparison to Hopslam - I know a Michigan Bell's fan that would kill for Hopslam that hates this beer. After producing Dirtwolf - Victory went in a completely 180 degree opposite direction - love it as a contrast to the orange color hop dominated IPAs which I also love.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Picked up a 4-pack from Whole Foods. This is the last of it, so I thought I might as well review it. Here we go!

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Slowly poured straight into the glass. Massive head of about 3-4 fingers is white as snow. Really good retention with a good amount of lacing left on the glass. This beer a vibrant, golden-straw color. Very transluscent. Reminds of a pilsner. Can't remember drinking an IPA with the same coloration.

S- Very unconventional for an IPA... There's a certain funk to it that I'm not accustomed to. Not unpleasant, just different. There are notes of tropical fruit. However, the aroma is very dry, though. Looks similar to a pilsner, but also smells somewhat like one, as well. Not sure I'm a huge fan. It isn't a bad aroma, by any means, just not what I'm looking for in an IPA.

T- Taste is about as good as the nose. Again, not what I'm used to in an IPA, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. Light tropical fruits, but also very dry. Malt is hardly noticeable with this beer. What's even more odd is that I'm not getting much hop-bitterness. There is some, but it's not too noticeable. This beer is very perplexing. What I do enjoy is how well the alcohol is hidden. I get none of it on the palette.

M- Love the mouthfeel. I know that for sure. This beer is very light, almost drinking like a session IPA. Very crisp and refreshing. If I tried this blind, I would have NEVER guessed it weighs in at 9%.

O- The jury is out on this one. I can't decide how I feel about it. I definitely can't say I don't like it. It is just very unlike the majority of IPAs I have had... And I've had a lot. I'm gonna have to buy another 4-pack so I can make a solid determination regarding this beer. It is enjoyable, but for an imperial IPA, I just don't get it... My head hurts now. Time for a nap.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy pale straw with a finger of white head that retains well and leaves some nice lacing behind. The nose has notes of piney hops and lemon. The flavor profile and body are quite light and refreshing. There is a pleasant and complex hoppy finish to this offering that is quite spicy. Anything that drinks this easy at 9% ABV is downright dangerous!

This strikes me as more of an imperial pils (an exceptional one) than a DIPA. It is quite tasty, but I like more discernible malt qualities to my DIPAs.

One final note: I’d really rather see an offering like this released in the summer when I’m looking for more tasty light-bodied beers than in the winter when full-bodied beers are what I crave.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company