Follow our progress ...

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

Added by dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Reviews: 354 | Ratings: 2,335
3.59/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - clear golden straw color with white head

Smell - mango, grapefruit, onion

Taste - mango, grapefruit, onion

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, somewhat sticky, the onion flavor is a bit off putting

Overall - this was a but underwhelming, it was tough to enjoy given the onion flavor of this

Price point - $2.59/12 oz single

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pale yellow, golden color, some opacity, white head, with lacing. Very pretty.

S - First sign of an issue. There is strong, strong fruit of citrus, maybe a little mango. All good, but there is a vegetal odor coming across as onions, and some hint of ammonia. Such great notes mingle with the less welcome one, making this a mixed bag.

T - Following the smell, with fruit up front. The grapefruit element is first, but you have other notes too, of peach, and mango primarily. The onion element is more hidden, but still present. Close is slightly bitter.

M - Crisp and amazingly easy to drink. No sign of that ABV.

O - I enjoy the fruit, the snappy clean finish, and easy drinkability, but I am not a fan of onions in my beer, and the ammonia smell also was unpleasant. About half a great beer, and the rest not so much.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is about a finger high, white in shade, and very creamy looking. Both the retention and the lacing left behind is pretty good. I'm a sucker for straw-colored IPAs, so this deserves bonus points.

S: Very, very fruity. Peaches, mangoes, grapefruit, hell, there might be something suggesting papaya. I'm also picking up blueberries. The malt backbone is imperceptible, and that's exactly how I like it. Having said that, the nose isn't all sunshine and rainbows - there's something ever-so-slightly off about it. I want to say it's a bit heavy in cat pee or ammonia, so I think I will. Having said that, it's a good nose, but man, it could have been a fuckin' fantastic one.

T: Its hop profile opens the beer up intensely, with notes of blueberry, grapefruit, melon, mango, and peaches. I might as well say this has no malt to it - really, it doesn't, this is purely a showcase for the hops. However, it finishes weirdly. Just like I said in the nose, there's something that doesn't fully gel with me and it's hard to place exactly what it is. The more I sip it, the more it hits me - it's oniony. I don't mind an oniony DIPA, honest to Jebus, but here it's a little too intense.

M: Super crisp, super light, super drinkable. This is its trump card - it almost goes down like a 4% blond ale, only it's 9%. The zesty carbonation helps it go down easily.

O: I like this beer a whole lot, just like DirtWolf. Also like DirtWolf, I don't quite love it. Onion, when it's in small doses, can be great (see: Lagunitas Sucks), this just brings it too strongly. On the plus side, I can't tell you how happy I am to see a DIPA on the market not weighed down with excess malt or excess booze.

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by May 3, 2015 on bottle. Consumed 12/31/14. Happy NYE.

Surprisingly bright and clear yellow, like a light lager. Nothing stands out to me on this one. I think I prefer Dirt Wolf over this.

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

Look - Golden type color, clear in appearance
Smell - Dank, grapefruit, slightly herbaceous, some pine, some sweet malts
Taste - Oniony/chivey dankness, spicy/earthy notes, hints of citrus and grapefruit

Overall - Was pumped about this. Overrated in my opinion. Dirtwolf crushes this.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy by date of May 07, 2016

Appearance - Pours hazy and golden yellow in color with some sediment floating around the glass. The head is off-white and peaks at about a finger's width. Fair retention, then dissipates to reveal a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface. Thin, web-like lacing coats the glass in sections.

Smell - Bright, citrusy aroma with near equal floral character.

Taste - Follows the nose. Orange, tangerine and a touch of grapefruit met by a strong floral presence. The malt is mostly hidden, lending a generic, white bread to the profile. The finish is mostly floral with a touch of astringency from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with low to fair carbonation. Fairly smooth with a drying finish.

Overall - Decent, but too much floral character for my tastes, giving it a near soap or perfume-like tone. I'm glad to have tried it, but I don't think I'd give this one another go.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

The aroma is fantastic. Really citrusy smell. The taste was a big let down after the wonderful smell of the beer. The bottle also had large particles floating in the bottom. Pretty disgusting looking. I drank it anyway. Decent IPA but the taste just doesn't live up to the aroma.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light straw color, far lighter than any other IIPA I've ever had. An aggressive pour yields a generous head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing all down the tulip.
Curious for this style, the nose is almost nonexistent. A slight floral presence, but that's about it.
Taste revels very balanced hop bitterness, almost but not quite covered up by the sweetness of the honey. Hops are slightly understated for the style.
Finish is the same slight bitter but a lot of sweet. Would I drink this beer again? Yes, absolutely.
Would I buy this beer again? Probably not, especially with a case of Hopslam in the cellar. This beer suffer by comparison.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light straw color, perhaps the lightest IPA I've encountered. Nice white head and the beer is very clear but for a few round particles that look like dried yeast granuals. Looks appropriately carbonated.

S- Very different from any IPA I've had before. Some white vinegar, very light tropical fruit, white wine. Some bitter grape seed.

T- At first I really didn't like this beer, I waited until the 3rd bottle of the 4 pack to review it. There are still some aspects to this beer I don't like, I think the malt is too light for one. And I just don't think I'm digging these Azacca hops. Having said that there is a big grapefruit presence and some underlying tropical fruits that I wish were more prominent. Had a real sprucey pine aspect to it that I didn't care for.

M- The has a good medium-light mouthfeel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to it.
One thing I'll give it is that it is extremely drinkable as far as hiding the ABV is concerned.

O- Everyone seems to be in love with this beer but I'm really going back and forth on it. One thing I'll give it though is it hides it's ABV extremely well. Hoping to catch this on tap and see if I like it any better.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a half finger of head on a clear light straw body.
The aroma is mango, pineapple and grapefruit.
The taste starts with a big pine bitter flavor, it mellows a little but takes the bitterness to the end.
The texture is thicker.
It has a great aroma and a good flavor.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at City Tap House, Philly, PA

Served in a tulip glass, a pristine, clear, golden-yellow color, with a small, retaining, white head, that dotted the glass with lacing; tiny Champagne-like bubbles perpetually popped from the bottom. Nice aroma, full of lemony hops and ripe tropical fruits. After the aroma, the taste was a bit of a let-down. Lemon pith, neutral alcohol, and a lasting graininess, ushering in a wave of bitterness that, though appropriate for the style, seemed to wash away much of the fruity/citrusy goodness that I was expecting from the nose. Slightly metallic in the aftertaste, but within tolerance. Medium body, decently drinkable. Solid overall, but probably not something I'd revisit too often.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

enjoy by 24 may 2015 1312 P printed vertically by the bar code

A- on a hardy pour you'll see the transparent straw color with some sediment floating around. expected from just having pilsner malt and being hopped up. white frothy head that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S- light aroma. boozy with citrus. tropical fruits noticeable.

T- alcohol is highly tasted. not to the point where it's completely dominating but blasting any taste from the malt that would be present. you get the tropical hops and the bitterness also. mostly pineapple, mango, and lemon

M- medium light bodied. really good carbonation.

DRINKABILITY (bring it back!) - i'm on beer number three right now and i'll easily kill the four pack.

Overall- first off this beer isn't shabby by any means but I think their dirtwolf chews it up and pisses all over it. I appreciate single malt ipa's a lot being a complete hop head. the light pilsner malt should showcase the hops but the bitterness and the alcohol just throws a shadow over the hoppy taste which is a bummer. if you're a brewer this beer is spot on from the description on ingredients from their website. I wish they threw more mosaic for flavor and aroma, not being a huge fan of the hipster (tropical) hops (pineapple, mango, lemon) and more from the classic( grapefruit and pine) this one isn't for me.

3.71/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Foggy, lemon-ish, golden hue

S: Citrus (especially grapefruit), pungent hop and pine aromas play off one another nicely. Tropical fruit undertones, specifically mango, come through nicely.

T: I was surprised to find that the tropical fruit notes in the smell took more of a leading role in the taste profile. Pine and hop bitterness were also present and were accompanied by honeysuckle, orange, grapefruit, pineapple and even more mango.

M: Good amount of carbonation. Medium bodied.

O: Not my favorite from Victory but a very respectable offering. Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

A- straw, looks like a Saison

S- hoppy ,citrusy Lemon Pledge (furniture polish),ONION

T- pineapple, candied orange zest. Zero bitterness, which is fine with me.Pickled ginger ( like what u get with sushi)

M- fizzy ginger ale. Quite dry, which is very refreshing

O- ok, I love non bitter ipa's but this lacks the floral notes of the king: NEBCO Gandhi Bot. Fizzy with nondescript malt backbone. Wimpy mouthfeel ...Not going back for another, even though I respect Victory and like most of their beers.

Hop Devil is great, Dirt wolf is assertive, Nugget Nectar and Stoudt's DIPA have excellent malt backbone. This one is thin and citrusy: easy quaff, but not rewarding.

It would be good with sushi

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was all over the place. The look was a clear yellow pilsner/lager with a white head that dissipated quickly. I could not find hops on the nose. the smell of a bitter lager was present. The taste was sweet and more lager than hoppy, that being said, I did like it quite a bit. Feel was smooth. Beer is a very good beer, but hard for me to find the IPA elements that I would look for.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz into my Spiegelau. Pale amber hue (I hear they use all pils malt), and about 1/2 finger of quickly dissipating, loose white bubbles. Did not get the big citrus, etc that the description/other reviewers got at all. Maybe a hint on the nose and the palate, but the dominant aromas in my opinion were of the earthy/resiny variety. I got a really dank (almost cheesy; in a good way) note on the nose that overpowered anything in the 'citrus' spectrum. There was a distinct bitterness on the nose (not unlike DirtWolf) where with a big deep huff you can actually feel it in your eyes (if you have tried this, you know what I mean). Huge up-front bitterness on the palate, with lots of nice, dank goodness, pine actually came through on the back of the palate. This was not a usual (fruit juice) IIPA for me, and that is actually something I like. Light mouthfeel for a pretty big beer. No noticeable alcohol burn, etc. Hint of an oily, lingering quality of the mouthfeel that allowed the flavors to hang around for a few moments (pine dominated here, though the resiny notes were around too). This beer made me think. I thought about hops (and all of the characteristics that different varieties bring to the party), I thought about my palate (and why some reviewers are getting different aromas/flavors dominating), and I thought about why I enjoy tasting and reviewing beers so much. I don't often get that with a standard profile IIPA. Victory consistently makes me think about what I am tasting. Not too many other breweries can do that (Upper Hand also comes to mind). Cheers BAs! UPDATE: This was very different on draft. DID get tons of big citrus and tropical notes... nice, dry finish with juiciness throughout. Easily a 4 all-around on draft.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle poured into small hotel glass

A: superb clarity, looks a little darker than bud light in the glass very soft pour and very cold so no head.

S: smells very bready at first hint a light straw smell reminiscent of a pilsner

T: Very big hoppy presence a floral fruity hop but more floral and has a lot of a pilsner taste but super hoppy

M: very medium bodied for 9%

O: I remember this being more fruity and over the top hoppy now it tastes more bready and more like a pilsner. I think in a month of so this beer might actually be better than it is now.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle served in a tulip. Enjoy by 24 May 2015 printed on the label. Pours a bright honey gold with a slight haze to the clarity and a loose, quarter inch bright white head. Nose is a bit subdued - citrus peel and some light earthy/herbal aromatics with a hint of tangerine towards the back. Taste consistent with nose. I'm really not all that blown away by the flavor profile - a bit on the simple side. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a lively carbonation just shy of prickly and a light acidity that stimulates the back of the tongue. Overall, decent but nothing to write home about. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden but I'm quite surprised by the high ratings.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My local bottle shop was trying to move these, so had them priced the same as Dirtwolf, one of my favorite Double IPAs. It's a great beer, but I can't help feeling that it's inferior to Dirtwolf and a touch redundant. I mean, this is a DIPA at 9% and Dirtwolf is 8.7 I think. It's a little sweet for my liking, but is ingenious for a midwinter release in the Northeast. On the whole, I don't think it stands out too much among Victory's world class offerings, and lacks that extra something/ punch I hoped for.

Enjoy by date May 19th. Reviewed on January 30th

Appearance: Light golden in color with a slight haze. Thin head, but with a great deal of retention. Minimal lacing. [3.0/5.0]
Aroma: Pineapple and mango. Little bit of melon. Grapefruit. Almost no presence of malt. Slight cereal/pilsner malt. [4.0]
Flavor: Tropical and stone fruit. Little bit of pine and a great deal of grapefruit. The bitterness is strong up front but overall pretty mellow (less than DirtWolf). Very clean malt presence. Finishes with a little residual sweetness. [3.5/5.0]
Feel: Highly carbonated. The bitterness is not terribly high and it certainly doesn't linger. Somewhat dry, but has some sugar to help balance the high alcohol and hop content. Very drinkable. [4.5/5.0]
Overall: Another solid new DIPA from Victory. This one is a little simpler than DirtWolf (IMO), but it is highly enjoyable. Feel and the aroma are the highlights of this beer. [3.75/5.0]

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Golden color, very transparent, 1 finger white head settles quickly leaving a ring around the glass, some active carbonation.

Smell - Sweet tropical fruits. Mango, pineapple, kiwi, white grape, almost no alcohol what so ever.

Taste - Not what I had expected. Sweet on the palate but not getting the sweet tropical fruit flavors that we're in the nose. Mild mango and maybe slight orange citrus at the beginning hard to say, not getting much in the middle maybe a slight spiciness, ends with an earthy grain flavor which is again very mild.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is on the lighter side but still very refreshing. Medium body.

Overall - Sorry fellas but this one left me a bit dissapointed. I loved hop wallop and I'm sad I never reviewed one, but that beer turned me on to victory. Having hop ranch and it being such a hyped up beer I thought I would have gotten more flavor!!! Make your own choices, but I don't know that I will seek this out again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with big dense white head, settles slowly to a thin layer, rings of thick lace down the glass. Smell: muted lemon peel, grass, nectarine. Taste: pineapple, citrus, grass; backing is white grape and unripe pear. Tongue numbing but sticky sweet. Doesn't do it for me, but semi interesting. Oh, and seems Victory's still at it with their date codes. Call it "Hop Ranch" and date it 6 months out. The Anti-Enjoy By.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle with a BB May 2015 date stamp.

Slightly hazy golden-amber body with visible carbonation and topped by a durable and creamy white head. Outstanding lacing with a near full coat sticking to the glass.

Aroma: strong hops with hints of pineapple and citrus.

Flavor: Seemed a bit too hopped for me at first sip, like many DIPAs, but I quickly adjusted to what now seemed like a rather well balanced flavor with only moderate bitterness. Still, this will not appeal to people who are not fond of hops. Very good complexity with clear notes of tropical and citrus fruits, most notably the tropical fruits.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - 4 by default because I'm too lazy to pour this one
S - floral, earthy hops followed by bready/biscuity malt. Not the best iPa I've had from the east coast.
T - floral, earthy hops, some pine, some grapefruit. Backed by bready malt.
M - medium mouthfeel, mostly the earthiness and bitterness is making it heavier, alcohol covered, aftertaste is earthy bitterness
O - I've had this before, I don't know if I'm not getting it fresh enough but enjoy by 6/17/2016 shouldn't be fading already. This tastes more like a British IPA to me than an American IPA. I remember when that was pretty standard for East coast ipas but I like the new northeast super fruity hazy ipa style better.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown