Hop Ranch - Victory Brewing Company

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)
Ratings: 2,083 | Reviews: 352
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with big dense white head, settles slowly to a thin layer, rings of thick lace down the glass. Smell: muted lemon peel, grass, nectarine. Taste: pineapple, citrus, grass; backing is white grape and unripe pear. Tongue numbing but sticky sweet. Doesn't do it for me, but semi interesting. Oh, and seems Victory's still at it with their date codes. Call it "Hop Ranch" and date it 6 months out. The Anti-Enjoy By.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle with a BB May 2015 date stamp.

Slightly hazy golden-amber body with visible carbonation and topped by a durable and creamy white head. Outstanding lacing with a near full coat sticking to the glass.

Aroma: strong hops with hints of pineapple and citrus.

Flavor: Seemed a bit too hopped for me at first sip, like many DIPAs, but I quickly adjusted to what now seemed like a rather well balanced flavor with only moderate bitterness. Still, this will not appeal to people who are not fond of hops. Very good complexity with clear notes of tropical and citrus fruits, most notably the tropical fruits.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a sample of this recently up at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell and ended up buying a four-pack of this up in Totowa a few weeks later. I've had some great hoppy beers as of late and was hoping that this would live up to it's lofty rating and be on par with that. Although this wasn't a complete disappointment, there seemed to be something missing from here. The strong citrus flavors in the nose and taste weren't that strong in actuality and the earthy notes ended up sticking out more. The alcohol was fairly recessed as well, leading me to feel that this was a regular IPA and not one of the Imperial type.

Poured like a Pils in terms of the hue and head but this had some cloudy residue that swirled around for quite a while. Not an overpowering or long-lasting head but it was full enough and the beer left a nice web of lacing on the back side of my pint glass. A fair amount of blood orange was in the nose as well as the taste, as this beer was pretty juicy with an earthy resin base underneath that. Some tropical fruit was here as well but it never fully shone, which was the case with the alcohol as well. The back of this beer is where the metallic, earthy undertone comes through for a brief moment before slowly fading away, leaving me wanting another sip to start the process over again.

I could feel some warming as I made my way through this but this was nowhere near as strong as the more potent Imperial IPA's that I've had before. The carbonation was decent but the malt base wasn't and this just seemed a bit overwhelming from start to finish. While not a bad choice, this was not as alluring as the Dirt Wolf or as memorable as stronger and more flavorful Imperial IPA's that I've enjoyed. A good offering from Victory that will satisfy their followers and most hopheads but just a bit lacking when it came to the lasting factor.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An Imperial IPA that pours yellow like an adjunct lager? Seems a bit out of place but that weak fascade is redeemed by a fruitful, extravagant nose. Citrusy tangerines, nectarines, light grapefruit, apricots, honey, caramel maltiness, pithy rinds and pine needles are abundant.

The flavor is good but it's held back by a waxy texture and bitter feel. I get some nice fruit flavor like oranges, limes, perfumey hop cone, light herbal notes, lupilin, honey, very little malt, lemon and pine.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Bubblegum hop taste. Slight boozy finish, but not abnormal for this high abv. Great looking beer. Good night imperial/double ipa.

3.84/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is probably the most "refreshing" DIPA I've ever had. The alcohol is extremely & dangerously well hidden. Very citrusey with an almost european/heffeweizen taste & feel. Very good beer.

That said, I don't know that I'd buy again. When I want "refreshing" I'm not reaching for a 10% ABV. And when I want a 10% ABV I'm looking for a big hop smack & bitterness and a variety of smells & flavors because I'm only drinking one or two of them. This one doesn't have that flavor punch, at least in the way so many other big IPA's do.

Apparently the hops used are kinda different, and it's noticable, and while it was certainly well crafted, maybe those aren't for me.

3.84/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Best by 4/25/2015. Served in a snfiter 3/14/2015.

A- Dark hazy copper-brown body, two finger thick effervescent white head, fair amount of lacing, good retention. A bit too dark for what I expect from a DIPA.

S- Biscuits, honey, tapioca, mellow citrus, a bit of pine.

F- Sweet pale malt, tapioca, honey with a nice bit of citrus and grapefruit, a little bit of resinous pine. Not particularly complex, but it's quite good. Definitely on the sweeter side, though.

M- Medium bodied, perfect soft mouthfeel on the tongue that imparts a nice resinous bitterness on the backend. Very drinkable.

O- Solid DIPA, it certainly fits within the archetype of a good DIPA, but I would have liked a bit more hoppy goodness to balance out the overall sweetness here.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The beer is ever so slightly cloudy, making one think of lemon juice. The head is relatively high and strikingly white. It recedes slowly, with minimal lacing, but the beer nonetheless appears viscous on the glass. There's an aroma full of the promise of grapefruit; so...here's hoping. But, alas, the expectation of a citrus bomb goes unrequited. What we have here is an anonymous, restrained bitterness. It has a certain piquancy, and it goes down well, but the aromatic volatility of essence of grapefruit rind that one sometimes longs for in a high-powered IPA is missing. The beer's texture is nonetheless satisfyingly rich. It's a good beer, but didn't meet my (perhaps eccentric) citric expectations.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

It is pretty pale in color. It is not quite straw colored. It is hazy. My pour yielded about an inch of off-white head.

It has a pretty solid citrus aroma.

The taste is weak citrus. There is a little pine in the finish.

Moderate to thin mouthfeel

I was really hoping to like this. I guess I do like it, but not enough to seek it out. Victory just doesn't match my palate. I was off of Victory until I finally tried a Dirt Wolf. At least they have one beer that I like a lot.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The appearance was pretty light in my opinion being a golden yellow color. It took a while for the head to form and almost thought it would be a no show, but it did, late in the pour.
The head was bright white and with good retention it last a long while.

The aroma was very hoppy with citrus and tropical notes. I think I detect some pineapple. I smell some pine resin too. The malts smell nice as well.

It was tasty but not on par with the nose. Hop ranch is quite hoppy but more bitter then flavorful. The malts are pretty sweet countering the bitterness. But in general the taste was somewhat of a let down compared to the nose.

On the palate it was dry and bitter with an astringent texture with some subtle warming alcohol.
All in all it's good and solid but not Dirt wolf solid. Not at all.

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%

I give Victory a great deal of credit for this beer. This is not like 99% of the imperial DIPAs out there. Extremely pale yellow color - different citrus aromas and taste. It won't be for everyone - disagree completely with any comparison to Hopslam - I know a Michigan Bell's fan that would kill for Hopslam that hates this beer. After producing Dirtwolf - Victory went in a completely 180 degree opposite direction - love it as a contrast to the orange color hop dominated IPAs which I also love.

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tastes ok. Has pulp floating around in it. Tastes very citrusy.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Picked up a 4-pack from Whole Foods. This is the last of it, so I thought I might as well review it. Here we go!

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Slowly poured straight into the glass. Massive head of about 3-4 fingers is white as snow. Really good retention with a good amount of lacing left on the glass. This beer a vibrant, golden-straw color. Very transluscent. Reminds of a pilsner. Can't remember drinking an IPA with the same coloration.

S- Very unconventional for an IPA... There's a certain funk to it that I'm not accustomed to. Not unpleasant, just different. There are notes of tropical fruit. However, the aroma is very dry, though. Looks similar to a pilsner, but also smells somewhat like one, as well. Not sure I'm a huge fan. It isn't a bad aroma, by any means, just not what I'm looking for in an IPA.

T- Taste is about as good as the nose. Again, not what I'm used to in an IPA, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. Light tropical fruits, but also very dry. Malt is hardly noticeable with this beer. What's even more odd is that I'm not getting much hop-bitterness. There is some, but it's not too noticeable. This beer is very perplexing. What I do enjoy is how well the alcohol is hidden. I get none of it on the palette.

M- Love the mouthfeel. I know that for sure. This beer is very light, almost drinking like a session IPA. Very crisp and refreshing. If I tried this blind, I would have NEVER guessed it weighs in at 9%.

O- The jury is out on this one. I can't decide how I feel about it. I definitely can't say I don't like it. It is just very unlike the majority of IPAs I have had... And I've had a lot. I'm gonna have to buy another 4-pack so I can make a solid determination regarding this beer. It is enjoyable, but for an imperial IPA, I just don't get it... My head hurts now. Time for a nap.

3.89/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Creamy mouth feel for an IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy pale straw with a finger of white head that retains well and leaves some nice lacing behind. The nose has notes of piney hops and lemon. The flavor profile and body are quite light and refreshing. There is a pleasant and complex hoppy finish to this offering that is quite spicy. Anything that drinks this easy at 9% ABV is downright dangerous!

This strikes me as more of an imperial pils (an exceptional one) than a DIPA. It is quite tasty, but I like more discernible malt qualities to my DIPAs.

One final note: I’d really rather see an offering like this released in the summer when I’m looking for more tasty light-bodied beers than in the winter when full-bodied beers are what I crave.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a beautiful clear gold with limited head but nice lacing. The aroma is also light but with nice tropical fruit notes. The taste is also light with the same characteristics as the aroma but not quite as robust. The body is also light in weight with just a hint of carbonation on the finish.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Extremely light brew in the pour, although it darkens slightly overall to a pale straw color in the glass. Strong snow-white head from a turbulent pour. Retention is remarkably strong. Nearly transparent. Lacing is thick and awesome.

Strong dank hop aroma with lemon and wheat notes. Slightly floral.

Aroma follows the nose, with the emphasis being on extremely green and dank hops. Pepper, sweet yeast, lemon citrus, and light wheat malts. Purely a hop forward beer.

Pretty light feel overall. Extremely thin for a DIPA, but very drinkable.

This has a very particular flavor, centered prominently on dank hops. It's quite tasty, although not my favorite hop profile, and a very well-made beer.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours light, bright corn yellow and fairly hazy. Smooth pour nets a finger high head, stark white, tight bubbles with good retention and lacing.

Pale malt is balancing providing a bit of sweetness to a large hop profile that is way different than anything I've previously experience. Perfume strength and floral, the hops are tropical and "stinky" mangoes and passionfruit, nectarine, citrus and papaya compost, garlic and onion greens. Super pungent, the combined aroma of Lagunitas Sucks and Stone Enjoy By turned up to 11.

Tight pale malt lacks the balance needed to handle the hops, a slight bready edge but that's it for the malt. Grassy, herbaceous and once again wildly pungent hops, alot of the tropical notes in the nose are lost leaving some faint mango, citrus peel and onion/garlic. Medium bitterness that exudes the pungent onion juice in the finish. Crazy IPA.

Moderate body with active carbonation. Alcohol is well managed. Bitterness leaves a drying finish despite the bothersome aftertaste.

As different as IPA can be, I get to use the onion, garlic and perhaps even the cat pee/ ammonia descriptors for hops for the first time in my book. Aroma of this beer is intense and complex, overall a tropical/herbaceous beer that is well brewed but should also come with a disclaimer. My body was not ready.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, enjoy by May 24, 2014.

The head on this ale is excellent, whipped stark white foam and very voluminous above a yellow gold body. Flavor is very creamy mixed with some bitter hop flavor and lush citrus fruit. Good but a bit tame for my tastes.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle poured into my teku glass.

A - Golden yellow color with a frothy one finger head. Sticky lace stays on the side of the glass throughout consumption. Lots of bubbles that rise to the top. I've never seen such a light colored DIPA

S - Grain, earth, cheese, lemon, onion, dank, pine. Disappointed as I'm not getting nearly as much citrus as others. Odor is almost oft putting to me

T - Well, well, this is where it shines. Almost the opposite of the smell with tons of citrus, pineapple, orange and lemon ending in spice and pine. Very tasty!

M - Fruits, carbonation, bitter, spice and pepper. Still rolls off the tongue nicely with an immediate hop presence

O - A very clean, smooth drinking DIPA. Almost thin and sessionable as crazy as that sounds for a 9%er. Probably has to do with the huge tropical fruit forward profile. Aside from the negative smell, it's a well rounded, balanced DIPA.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle with a Best By date of May 24 2014 on the neck. Pours a translucent light golden color with a 1/4 inch of head. Minimal lacing. The aroma is light citrus peel and pineapple. Some floral hops notes as well. The taste is more of that tropical fruit flavor. Pineapple, sweet orange and grapefruit, peach and some floral hops. More flowery towards the end. Fair amount of an alcohol presence, but drinks easily. Light mouthfeel that is somewhat dry. Overall, solid Imperial IPA. Not as good as Dirt Wolf but a welcome addition for sure.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Poured out a 2 finger white sudsy head with a yellow crystal clear body. Looks super clean and refreshing and leaves great lacing.

S - Hops are in your face and present. Prominent characters are sweet orange-lemon, dank, earthy, slight tropical and astringent, and skunky.

T - The taste follows the nose with a sharp hope bite right in the beginning, sweet dank, earthy, lemon, orange, astringent, bitterness and spice that seems to last. Alcohol not present for an imperial.

M - Beer is medium oily and slick. It goes down really easy. Drink last in the night because your palate gets scrubbed pretty good.

O - This beer drinks easy in comparison to other imperial IPA's. Has a nice danky hop profile to it with a orange citrus bite. A must try for any serious IPA lover, Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.5

Great after taste. Reminds me of citra by flying dog.

Hop Ranch

12 oz pour in a goblet at friscos

L: Light gold with about a finger of head solid lacing.

S: Grape fruit and citrus. Not much else and it fades.

T: Citrus at the front boozy alcohol at the end.

F: Good body. Not to heavy but not water.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company