Hop Ranch | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

Added by dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Reviews: 345 | Ratings: 2,306
4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a 4 pack after hearing alot about this. I gotta say I am impressed.
A-Theres alot of yeast floating around in this one, nice. Pours a hazy pale pilsner color. At 9%, it sure doesnt look like it! Appears very thin, which is intriguing. Great lacing, thin head.
S- If I didnt know any better Id say I just bought a bottle of pure pineapple juice! Delightful! upon further inspection, I get hints of peach, or apricot... possibly mango or passion fruit. Wow, I just moved it up to 4.5 from 4.25, the aroma is just epic. Cant stop smelling it. I want to bathe in it.
T- Wow! theres alot going on here. The alcohol is non existent. I taste pineapple, peach, mango... I hear the Mosaic hop gives off a hint of blueberry, and yes, I do beleive its there. What a great name for a hop, it fits the description perfectly... so many wonderful fruity flavors going on. I am really glad I just ordered a pound of Mosaic to play around with in my next home brew! This beer is fucking delicious, I need a keg of it. We have a winner, Im gonna go see if I can get all they have left of it at the liquor store.
M- for 9% this is an easy drinker, I almost gave it a lower score, but the ABV makes me say it is outstanding, They used pilsner malt in it, so its supposed to be sorta thin, they nailed it on every aspect of this beer. Victory, my hats off to you.
Overall I am in love with this beer, its not youre everyday Imperial IPA. If youre looking for a sweet not too bitter tropical/stone fruit bomb, here it is!

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light straw color, far lighter than any other IIPA I've ever had. An aggressive pour yields a generous head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing all down the tulip.
Curious for this style, the nose is almost nonexistent. A slight floral presence, but that's about it.
Taste revels very balanced hop bitterness, almost but not quite covered up by the sweetness of the honey. Hops are slightly understated for the style.
Finish is the same slight bitter but a lot of sweet. Would I drink this beer again? Yes, absolutely.
Would I buy this beer again? Probably not, especially with a case of Hopslam in the cellar. This beer suffer by comparison.

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%

I give Victory a great deal of credit for this beer. This is not like 99% of the imperial DIPAs out there. Extremely pale yellow color - different citrus aromas and taste. It won't be for everyone - disagree completely with any comparison to Hopslam - I know a Michigan Bell's fan that would kill for Hopslam that hates this beer. After producing Dirtwolf - Victory went in a completely 180 degree opposite direction - love it as a contrast to the orange color hop dominated IPAs which I also love.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-02-13 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw with a 1.5 finger pillowy white head with very good lacing.

S - Dank leaning to cat pee, overly-ripe pineapple, very light touch of malt. Fragrant but definitely not the most appealing to me.

T - I like the flavor better than the smell. The pineapple flavor is fresh. I get a bit of umami flavor. Perhaps that's just me imagining a piece of ham with roasted pineapple on top; but that's what it reminds me of. There's an enjoyable oily hop bud flavor that must be the mosaic hops. Towards the end, a grassy taste becomes apparent. Don't notice the alcohol. Bitterness is in check and adds to the balance. Aftertaste is very nice with a dryish finish with some scrubbing citric tartness, a touch of pineapple sweetness and the right amount of moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Slick, oily, substantial.

O - A different smelling and tasting DIPA for sure. Well made for sure. Complex flavors for sure. My favorite cup of tea? No.

4.99/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance - Lighter color than most DIPA's. A one finger white head after a vigorous pour. Not a lot of carbonation seen in my Belgian glass.

Smell - An overwhelming smell of grapefruit from the hops. I love grapefruit taste in IPA's so the smell is a very good indication I will like this beer.

Taste - Scratch "like the beer" and replace with "love this beer". True to the smell an amazing grapefruit taste. I can't believe that this is 9% and I am even more amazed that Victory did not disclose the abv on the bottle (that I can see).

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy feel, what I would say is low to medium bodied.

Overall - This is my #1 beer as of tonight (the first time I tried it). I can't say enough good things about it. In comparing with DirtWolf I rate this beer much higher. For me DirtWolf had a boozie taste to it which I did not like (but DirtWolf is still a great beer).

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

This was a great beer, though it's not going to get the full detailed description review, so I will describe as is. Poured golden bright yellow, a very safe looking IPA with great white, fine bubbles. Like a bubbly foam. Didnt get much on the nose. I got a slight wiff of sweet malt and that was it. Had me wondering about the taste. The taste made up for the lack of nose. It was just hidden in there, like the hidden valley RANCH! HAAA!! I'll stop.
Overall, it was an excellent beer. Would I feel sad if I wasn't able to find it again next year? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Sure.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Victory Hop Ranch

Does Victory brew anything wrong . . . I think not !

Poured into tulip glass

A: Agree, light straw color with sediment in bottom of glass

S: Nice ! Strong floral hop presence with a touch of honey

T: Just fantastic as well. Dare I say similar to Hopslam ?

M: Smooth and creamy for an iipa

O: Fantastic beer ! Great job Victory. Careful with this one people . . . Drinks like a 6% ipa rather than a 9% iipa.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light straw color, perhaps the lightest IPA I've encountered. Nice white head and the beer is very clear but for a few round particles that look like dried yeast granuals. Looks appropriately carbonated.

S- Very different from any IPA I've had before. Some white vinegar, very light tropical fruit, white wine. Some bitter grape seed.

T- At first I really didn't like this beer, I waited until the 3rd bottle of the 4 pack to review it. There are still some aspects to this beer I don't like, I think the malt is too light for one. And I just don't think I'm digging these Azacca hops. Having said that there is a big grapefruit presence and some underlying tropical fruits that I wish were more prominent. Had a real sprucey pine aspect to it that I didn't care for.

M- The has a good medium-light mouthfeel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to it.
One thing I'll give it is that it is extremely drinkable as far as hiding the ABV is concerned.

O- Everyone seems to be in love with this beer but I'm really going back and forth on it. One thing I'll give it though is it hides it's ABV extremely well. Hoping to catch this on tap and see if I like it any better.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Too few hops in the house, so I've spent a couple weeks collecting IPA/IIPAs off local shelves. This is another of my victims. 12 oz. bottle headed south.

Pour is a hazed & confused light yellow with carbonation that's mildly evident on top & hidden in the yellow belly of the beer. Nose comes bearing serious tropical fruit, enough to believe this beer might have a pineapple in its Ancestry.com tree somewhere. Smells wet, too.

Hop Ranch is a location I'd like to winter in. The gorgeous tropical fruits in the nose translate word-for-smell into the taste, but they're immediately assaulted by a searing, wrist-twisting bitterness that scalds the top of my mouth. Yeeaah! After that barrage there are even more BBs in the gun: lovely citrus, orange, mild sweetness & a spicy kick at the end. Thick, chewy, oily, syrupy. I could drink a couple flagons of this.

Is there anything better than having a beer with no expectations & having it blow your tiny little brain to pieces with yummy? This beer kicks ass: you just don't find many IIIPAs with the combo of bitterness AND taste. What's so hard about that? One of the best new IIPAs I've had in a while. Excellent.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: Best by 2014-05-4
Glass: Tulip

A very bright, smooth, sweet DIPA, at times of candy-like tropical fruitiness, with little trace of it's fairly serious ethanol content. Mosaic hops are showcased prominently, giving off their both "traditional" fruit (apple and grape, here) and tropical fruit (pineapple, guava, passion fruit) scents and flavors. This is a fairly bright, sweet, and fruity DIPA, the opposite of resiny, strong grapefruit and hop-armpit. Fairly easy to drink, though I don't know if the flavors appeal to me enough to purchase another set of these.

Pours a 1.5cm tall head of slightly off-white bubbles that are small in size, yielding a fairly frothy appearance. Retention is a bit above average, the foam lasting 1.5 minutes in a gradual fade to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass and a few small, scattered islands of thin foam resting atop the body of the beer. Lacing is excellent, with large and complex patterns clinging to all sides of the glass, modified with each sip eventually being disintegrated to a series of intricate dots along the walls of the glass. Body is a medium darkness golden yellow color, with light bringing out bright, rich golden yellow hues. Carbonation visible through hazy (20-30% opacity) body, medium in amount and activity.

Aroma can generally be described as brightly fruity and slightly "dank," with sweet and tropical reference points. More specifically, scents of: white grape and apple juice and pineapple, lesser honey, grapefruit, guava and passion fruit.

Flavor is very sweet with pale malt, white grape, pineapple, guava, and passion fruit-like sweetness, a bit of grapefruit, and moderate hop bitterness. Front of palate tastes strong, fruity sweetness, including guava and white grapes, light pineapple and grapefruit, and hints of watered-down apple juice and passion fruit. Mid-palate is of sweet pale malt with no grain or biscuit character, sweet white grapes, apple and pineapple juice, heavily sweetened grapefruit juice, watered-down guava and passion fruit, and moderate bitterness. Back of palate experiences moderate hop bitterness with continued sweetness from white grape juice, pineapple, and sweetened grapefruit. Aftertaste is of moderate hop bitterness; light grapefruit, pineapple, and white grape flavors mixed with mild ethanol.

Beer is medium-bodied, with carbonation of medium-low intensity, resulting in a lighty foamy (2/5) and otherwise smooth (3/5) mouthfeel that works for the beer and is within style limits. Ethanol barely perceived on the palate, primarily as a light heat in the nostrils and faint burn on the palate and back of throat. Closes dry, with heavy stickiness remaining on the palate.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a vigorous and foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a lot of nice lacing while leaving a ring around the inside of the glass. The beer itself is a clear pale gold color. The beer has a nice honey smell with strong floral hops as well as hints of pepper. Additionally, there are hints of light pine resin as well as slightly bready malt notes. The beer taste has a slight bready malt backbone but the main notes appear to be honey and grapefruit. In addition, there are slight floral tastes and notes of pine resin with pepper. The mouthfeel is pretty light for DIPA. The beer has a crisp feel with its light carbonation and smooth feel with a medium body. Overall, a fantastic DIPA and worth getting again.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving- 12 oz.Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

A) Light/Medium Golden in color, extremely transparent. A vibrant, white, dense 1 1/2 inch head blankets the brew and hangs around for a little while. Thick lacing to begin with lessens as I sip away. Nice looking brew.

S) A whole lot of earthy, piney, bitterness plows through the nose, and is closely followed by a boat load of citrusy heaven. Lemon and Tangerine are very, very apparent. Picking up some slight doses of Kiwi as well? This is what I want to smell when I'm putting my face in a DIPA.

T) Bitterness not as apparent as the nose initially suggested to me but it is there and it's enjoyable. Citrusy, juicy, and very refreshing.. I'm not believing this is 9.0 ABV, as it is hidden extremely well! This could be oh so dangerous.

M) Medium bodied, and maybe even on the lighter side for a DIPA, with average carbonation. This, coupled with the well hidden ABV, makes for an incredibly easy drinking big brew. Finishes rather dry with lingering citrus notes that please the palate.

O) In 5 simple words... One hell of a brew!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hop Ranch uses my new favorite hop, Mosaic. Really looking forward to drinking this one.

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with just over a finger of head. The head settles to a thin cap with moderate amount of lacing left down the glass. Looks like a pilsner.

The hops really show themselves in the aroma. Citrus, tropical fruit, and plenty of dankness. Nothing from the malt which is not surprising.

The pilsner malt lays of base of dry, cracker type of flavor to let the hops really shine. Plenty bitter but the hop flavor payoff is worth it. A lot more dank then the aroma would lead me to believe. Enjoyable citrus and tropical fruit notes. No sign of alcohol and finishes dry.

Feels like a lighter beer and definitely not 9% ABV. Appropriate level of carbonation pairs nicely with the bitterness.

Hop Ranch delivers the Mosaic Hops just the way I wanted. Did not let me down at all.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from bottle into Maudite snifter.

A - lighter than expected for the style. Cloudy golden amber hue...would look more like a pilsner than a DIPA if it werent as cloudy and carried more carbonation. Fluffy white head with above average lacing. Nice oily residue slides down the side of the glass after each sip.

S - out of this world! Apricots and lemon citrus dominate. Piney notes to follow. It's been a while since I've come across a beer that has a nose as bright and unique as this one! Top shelf for sure...

T - high marks here as well. Crisp and refreshing. A highly unique blend of apricot, lemon zest, and grapefruit. Hops are blended with the other flavor profiles extremely well and do not overpower....my pet peave with alot of other DIPA's. At 9% ABV this beer is still highly sessionable IMO. I could EASILY drink this with my buddies around a card table...But probably not a good idea. 9% would sneak up on me and I'd probably lose the mortgage money!

M - slick and oily...perfect amount of carbonation. Coats the mouth well.

O - along with DFH 90 min, this Is right up there with my favorite DIPA's. I LOVE this beer. It has a unique flavor that enhances its drinkability unlike any other I've come across to date. Victory has a winner in this one...would love to find this on draft somewhere in the Baltimore area.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a golden sunrise color, fluffy white head and fine lace

Smell: Grapefruit juice, pineapple candy, sweet

Taste: More citrus with grapefruit, candied lemons, mango

Mouthfeel - Rich and satisfying but easily quaffed

One of the best Imperial IPAs I've had. I don't know if we can expect this to be part of Victory's regular lineup or just a seasonal offering. Either way, more IPAs should be designed this way. The punch-in-the-face impact of the fruit hop aroma, high ABV, and easy drinkablility makes this a great beer to look forward to after a long day.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Poured int a snifter. Appears a hazy grapefruit orange with a fluffy white head. Nice lacing and the head reduces to a bubbly suds that rest in the epicenter of the glass.

S - Fresh hops, big citrus notes - grape fruit, orange peel, citrus rind.

T - Juicy citrus hop bomb - follows the nose with hop forward and citrus and grapefruit notes, slightly resinous and dank. Crisp and refreshing mouth feel.

O - Really an slam dunk must have DIPA - love the fresh hop forward and juicy hop bomb.

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle poured into a pint goblet

Pours a dirty yellow color, very transparent. Very small amount of white head, dissipated quickly.

Nice Citrus and Lemon scent.

Smooth with a lot of Citrus and Lemon. Very light, smooth and easy to drink. Lemon is just a little too much for the second bottle.

Leaves a light aftertaste of Lemon in the mouth, but is light and the alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall I like this a little bit more than I like Dirt Wolf.

The beer is golden with a huge, fluffy white head. The aroma offers dank hops, oranges and assorted citrus. Toast and biscuits with orange juice. Juicy and resinous with a bitter finish. Some pine notes and sourdough bread. Well balanced with a leaning toward hops. Tasty beer.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle dated into New Belguim globe

A-Pours a surprisingly pale, almost straw, gold with a three finger head that leaves some soapy, splotchy lace.

S-Nose brings a mango, pineapple, herbal aromas, spice, some peppery notes, grassiness, some lemony citrus, and lightly toasted malt.

T-Taste is bitter, grapefruit, mango, citrus, floral, and light herbs.

M-Medium to light bodied, oily, great carbonation, with a dry taste on the end.

O-Overall a great DIPA. Alcohol content not immediately evident. Very crisp and clean would pick up again.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Glassware: Wild Wolf Brewing Company .5 Liter Mug.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy gold. An average pour produced 1 finger of bright white head. Lacing abounds.

Smell: Smells sweetly of peaches, slight pineapple, green apple, overripe orange, and Guava! I can't remember distinctly smelling guava like this before in a beer. An alcohol scent is also present, which intermingles with the ever so slight piney backdrop. This smells truly incredible.

Taste: The slightest hint of bready malt gives way almost immediately to a rush of pineapple, guava and sour apple. Then the bitterness hits. Much more so that the smell would suggest. It works, though, and it works very well. After the bitterness sits on your tongue, it leaves you with only a sweet peach and pineapple afterthought.

Mouthfeel: This may be the best part of this beer. Hop Juice seems a more than suitable name. Easy as hell to drink, beautiful bubbly carbonation ticking the tip of your tongue, a tantalizing dry finish leaving you wanting more.

Overall: Yes! This beer is absolutely incredible. It has a very unique flavor profile. Not overly sweet like some other IPA's, not too bitter or piney, the alcohol is hidden well, and dat mouthfeel. Love it.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Honey and clean and clear. medium haze bursting with a yellow behind the haze. really a nice looking beer. solid lacing hung around for a while. 1/3 finger head upon pouring into a tulip. i drink all beer from a tulip and i dont know why....

S- Granny smith apples hard and fast at first gives way to a rubbery plastic toy and sweet sugars and honey. lots of florals throughout the nose slight alcohol at the end with a melted butter as well.

T- grapefruit and honeydew mellon at first they linger a bit and disapate throughout this long complex taste. the granny smith apples from the nose are there as well. taste moves to the back of your mouth with a slightly grainy yeast and a nice malt that transitions into a wonderfuly smooth bitter alcohol backed finale. * note i took multiple sips and had many different variations as to the order and magnitude of these notes. as DIPAS usualy tend to have very frantic and every changing sip to sip variations for me i kind of wittled this review down to something someone might be able to comprehend. hahah

M-smooth little creamy, perfect carbonation to go with the hop characters on this one. very drinkable very very enjoyable.

O- overall this beer is dynamic. its a great DIPA from Victory in a era where the more hops the better seems to be the culture. this one really sets a standard in my opinon as far as sublte complexities that run hand and hand with the strong hop Notes. its a incredible beer and the more beers i have been reviewing the lower my scores have been, only because i belive brewers are really upping the game and setting incredible standards, so the fact i gave this a 4.25 is relative to this beer being a gem.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice clear body with a white head and a little carbonation visible in the body. Pretty fast moving head but a lace that stuck on the glass stubbornly.

Herbal spicy resin hops in the aroma, a little kale, citrusy, and fruity like mangoes.
Taste not as bitter as I had expected. Very clean and refreshing malt and hop balance with a little citrus flavor and grassy herbal notes throughout.
Very crisp feel and very drinkable, alcohol content not that noticeable.
Would definitely get again, this was great.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not exactly what I was expecting after reading other reviews, and loving dirtwolf. It wasn't bad by any means, but far from outstanding. Lots of tropical fruit and citrus in this beer, but there was something strange I couldn't quite put my finger on. Almost reminded me of a fruity champagne or carbonated Chardonnay. I will say for 9% abv this beer was very light. Over all pretty good, easy to drink considering the abv. But far from great.

2.79/5  rDev -33.1%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like.

4.99/5  rDev +19.7%

I have to say Victory has been on its game lately Dirtwolf and now Hop Ranch their Imperial IPA is right on target. Amazing aroma of tropical fruit, and citrus, taste is right on more tropical fruit, citrus, slight pine and a bit resiny. The sticky resiny flavor really comes through in the backbone with slight malt sweetness to round out this huge IPA extremely drinkable for such a big beer, absolutely delicious!

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown