Hop Ranch | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Hop RanchHop Ranch

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

Added by dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Reviews: 345 | Ratings: 2,305
4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good beer and if it wasn't for DirtWolf this would be my favorite Victory brew - an excellent choice but if I have to choose, lobo de tierra for me

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My local bottle shop was trying to move these, so had them priced the same as Dirtwolf, one of my favorite Double IPAs. It's a great beer, but I can't help feeling that it's inferior to Dirtwolf and a touch redundant. I mean, this is a DIPA at 9% and Dirtwolf is 8.7 I think. It's a little sweet for my liking, but is ingenious for a midwinter release in the Northeast. On the whole, I don't think it stands out too much among Victory's world class offerings, and lacks that extra something/ punch I hoped for.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours yellow with an orange tint, bubbles rising, slight sediment, and an off white head. Aroma offers grapefruit, mango, lime, grass, and slight cracker. Flavor follows suit with a nice decent bitter finish. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, great stuff here. I actually might prefer this to Dirtwolf to be honest, quite the feat.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Victory "Hop Ranch"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY: 25 APR 2015 0437P"
$3.65 @ The Beer Shoppe, Ardmore, PA

Based on how fond I am of Victory's "Dirt Wolf" I thought I'd give their "Hop Ranch" a spin, particularly as it uses a hop I'm not familiar with - Azacca.

Azzaca is the Caribbean God of farming, so it's not surprising that there's a tropical fruit character in the aroma, namely mango and pineapple. There's also grapefruit, some tangerine, pine, a hint of lemon, and a bit of spiciness. It's interesting, and refreshing; and as a winter seasonal, it's a fairly welcome ray of sunshine beneath the cold grey sky here in Pennsylvania!

Given the quality of the hops I see why they went with a straightforward Pilsner malt as it allows the hops to come through clearly, and also allows for some of that refreshing character to be transferred into to the flavor. Unfortunately that's all you're getting, it's not a complicated or 'dense' beer, and I'm not sure that it needed to be an "Imperial" IPA. I think it would have worked just fine as a standard IPA, or even a pale ale. The gentlemen of Victory are shrewd marketers, however, and I'm sure they didn't want to drop another entry into those already over-stocked categories. On the up-side, the alcohol that comes along with the "Imperial" designation, clocking in at a whopping 9.0 % abv., is surprisingly well-cloaked. Not unlike the "Dirt Wolf" this is a beer that does not overwhelm you with bitterness, resins, and alcohol - instead it's very focused and balanced, leaving it remarkably drinkable, and at 9%, dangerous.

So how to rate this beer? It delivers everything that an "Imperial" IPA should, sans the bitter punch and late raspy/resinous finish, the alcohol slap, and the overall palate-wrecking voluminosity. There are no defects of any sort (although I would like to see just a little more bristle in the mouthfeel), and in fact it's a really well-rounded and highly polished beer. What's not to love? But on top of that it's also quite unique, and innovative. Clearly a winner, and one that really needs to be sampled, any fan of hoppy beers needs to check it out!

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Chill hazed golden body with a thin frothed head. Intense hop aroma: floral, citric, funky. Tastes of sweet pale malts up front. Citrus is more prominent with some floral and overripe fruit. Smooth body with light bubbles. Excellent beer.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Following a Hop Devil this proved to be the better Victory. Golden with a white head, strong nose of grapefruit, pine, and florals. Flavor is citrusy with pine and herbal bitters. Nicely carbonated, a proper west coast style IPA.

3.24/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I might have gotten an old bottle. Very little hop character in this. It was very yeasty. So much so that I was wondering if it had been brewed with Belgian yeast. Pours cloudy and tasted somewhat thin and reminded me of a hefe. Overall, a mediocre IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Hop Ranch

12 oz pour in a goblet at friscos

L: Light gold with about a finger of head solid lacing.

S: Grape fruit and citrus. Not much else and it fades.

T: Citrus at the front boozy alcohol at the end.

F: Good body. Not to heavy but not water.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Nice big DIPA, nice aroma, good hoppy bitterness, not as citrusy as I usually prefer.
Body is a little thin and well carbed so it drinks easy. Alcohol well covered with good depth of flavor.

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

Golden yellow hue, head was short lived, lots of floaties from bottle conditioning. Smells of lemon, peach, pine and a pungent herbally dankness! Tasty hop flavors of lemon and peach with a grapefruit peel bitter finish that is on the dry side. Good feel here. Almost creamy? This is a yummy DIPA here.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours almost clear gold color with a little sediment floating around and bubbles racing up to a nice 1 finger off white foamy head that faded faster than I would have expected since the nose is so pungent, but it did leave impressive foamy rings as it went down.

Smells of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel and citrus hops to start, with a mix of gingerbread, light caramel, pepper, funky yeast, candied sugar, fruity candy and a buttered biscuit. Some pine cone whiffs and light spices trail the initial waves, and there seems to be some tea leaf, floral hops or weed like aroma that mixes with the fruity citrus sweetness and makes for a fine nose.

Tastes like fresh juicy citrus hops with strong grapefruit, lemon and tangerine, followed by piney hops, floral hops, other tropical fruit like pineapple and mango, graham cracker, light spices like pepper, tea leaf and cinnamon, honey or syrup sweetness and then light toasted grains. There is just enough balance from the malts to give these tasty hops something to rest on, but man these hops are tasty and hide the ABV perfectly.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick, with a medium chewy body, average carbonation and a slightly bitter finish that is sweet like an orange juice with hints of pepper and graham cracker. There is some weight to the brew, but it works well for an DIPA.

Overall a very tasty beer and another winner from Victory. This is like a fresh hop harvest IPA released in the middle of winter, which is a real treat.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

golden like color with fluffy white head and some yeast residue, smells of hops and yeast, tastes very clean and has a nice hoppy kick to it, slight carbonation…a very good DIPA

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Looks beautiful, the lovely light golden color gives way to some translucence that passes through the glass in the sunlight,

Smell: This one smells just like you would expect by looking at it (you will sense a trend here). It is a very mild smell with hops, yeast, and a hint of florals.

Taste: Just as the look and smell suggest, this is a crisp, clean, and delicious brew (geez I feel like I'm in a light beer commercial). You would never guess just by sipping it that it was 10% abv... It's almost a souped-up pale ale, in that all the tastes are very minimal; that being the hops, malts, and florals. This is one of the lightest and mildest DIPA's i've ever had.

Feel: Smooth and crisp. The slight carbonation is perfect, wouldn't add or subtract any.

Overall: One of my favorite offerings by Lagunitas.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Pours golden with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head. Aroma is of perfume hops, bready malt and peaches. Body is medium and crisp. Taste is similar to aroma. Finish is long, dry, with some alcohol. Delicious brew.

1.64/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle tells me I Should enjoy this by May 24th 2015.

Tastes and smells like stale old hops. Dirty sock aroma and this beer is hard to drink.

Definitely wasted my money on this one. AVOID!

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer poured a crystal clear light straw with a decent white head that left good lacing. The aroma was sweet and juicy tropical fruits with some grassy almost pilsner qualities. The flavor is where the Hop Ranch takes over your palate. Bursting with big beautiful tropical fruits on the front end thanks to the Mosaic hops this is a beast out of the gate. The flavor slowly evolves into a floral earthy sharpness that mimics a Pilsner on the back end and coats your tongue with a wonderful bitterness. The tropical fruitiness of this brew made it for me and while I was quickly downing my glass I realized how well the abv was hidden. A great beer from top to bottom.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a straw yellow with a nice white head. Plenty of sediment floating about.

S: Plenty of citrus, danky almost oniony scent, but overall very nice.

T: Big orange/tangerine/tangelo flavor with fairly high bitterness. Yum.

M: Smooth. Nice carbonation. Zero alcohol presence.

O: it's been so long since ive had dirtwolf that it's hard to compare the two. I really enjoyed it. Now that I've said that, I can compare it to enjoy by which I have had recently. Good stuff.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at novare. It's lighter than I expected. Pretty though. When the head dissipates it looks like a French sauternes or something. Aroma is a little funky, a little cheesy, and tropical. Taste: hop resin and stuff that's orange. pineapple and a Tang, the astronaut drink. Where's the malt? Can't believe this is 9%. On the tongue, it's thinnish and well carbonated, but has an oily quality that's kind of cool. Finish is both sweet and bitter. I'm a fan of doubles that aren't all malt-clunky to counter the hops. This is really nice.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer comes out a pale golden, straw, yellow color. Good clarity and light so you can see right through it. Frothy head that's about a finger thick and it mostly goes away after a little bit but leaves a ring along the edge of the glass. Mostly small bubbles but any of the bigger bubbles create nice lacing and glass retention to it. Decent looking beer, but lighter in color than I expected or I prefer.

Smell is good, has some of the best qualities you'd want in a Double IPA. It's got what most fans of the style love; a lot of hops, and this one has a very unique combination. Hops provide aromas of citrus and tropical fruits and a bit of sappy pine. One of the primary aromas is fresh, ripe pineapple. I really love most of the most of what's going on with the aromas here but I have two issues: 1, I can't really pick up any of the malt backbone in the nose, and 2, there's a slight onion aroma at the end which I'm not digging. However everything else is so good, it's sweet, earthy, herbal, floral and fruity.

Taste is a step up from from the aroma. It's still really hoppy, to the point where it's like hop juice because there's not much malt going on by comparison. A lot of pineapple, grapefruit, clementine, tangerine, honey, pine and a bit of peach.

Mouthfeel is good, there's a long lingering flavor however the weight itself seems very light on the tongue. It has a complementary carbonation level, it tickles your mouth enough without being over carbonated. Nice light feel without much of a bite from the carbonation or the alcohol. I mentioned before it's sort of like hop juice, but it's such an amazing combination of what's going on just from the hops, goes sweet than leads to a a dry bitter finish, very clean. Crazy drinkable beer, especially for the style, would prefer it in the summer though. Great beer, another good beer from Victory. I think I like Dirt Wolf a little better, but Hop Ranch is very good in it's own right.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

I'm digging this. Makes me think of Victory Prima pils on steroids. I gave the scent a lowish score because it didn't make me think double ipa. Over all I do feel like I'm drinking a big, hoppy lager but it's done so well that I don't care! Color is pale gold with lots of white lacing on the glass. There's a bite of tangerine sweetness up front that gives way to a fresh baked bread body; sort of a rye bitterness in the aftertaste.
Very deceptive strength for a 9% abv brew. I much prefer this over Hop Wallop. There's better balance here. I'd like to try this next to Dirt Wolf. Will buy again.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Pour from 12oz into tulip. Pours a hazy golden-orange with a short white head. Haze clarifies pretty quickly as the beer comes to temp. Nose is very floral and tropical. Taste is mirror of nose, with a nice balance of bitter-to-malt for the IIPA style. There is a blast of booze in the finish, but not unwelcome. The combo of floral and tropical (some have noted citrus, I didn't get that in my taste) is very well blended and makes a great hop forward flavor combo. I prefer a touch more linger on the palate than this offered, but this is a solid offering.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Tasty big IPA. Pours a dark gold, mostly clear color into a pint glass. Big white head with average retention. Aroma is very good with floral and citrus hops. Taste is the best aspect. Nice and bitter with a little bit of balancing malt. The hops are somewhat floral and also a big citrus component- nice and bitter with a bit of dry biscuity malt for balance. Mouthfeel is crisp and rich with little alcohol presence. A good DIPA. I would happily drink this one again.

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a sample of this recently up at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell and ended up buying a four-pack of this up in Totowa a few weeks later. I've had some great hoppy beers as of late and was hoping that this would live up to it's lofty rating and be on par with that. Although this wasn't a complete disappointment, there seemed to be something missing from here. The strong citrus flavors in the nose and taste weren't that strong in actuality and the earthy notes ended up sticking out more. The alcohol was fairly recessed as well, leading me to feel that this was a regular IPA and not one of the Imperial type.

Poured like a Pils in terms of the hue and head but this had some cloudy residue that swirled around for quite a while. Not an overpowering or long-lasting head but it was full enough and the beer left a nice web of lacing on the back side of my pint glass. A fair amount of blood orange was in the nose as well as the taste, as this beer was pretty juicy with an earthy resin base underneath that. Some tropical fruit was here as well but it never fully shone, which was the case with the alcohol as well. The back of this beer is where the metallic, earthy undertone comes through for a brief moment before slowly fading away, leaving me wanting another sip to start the process over again.

I could feel some warming as I made my way through this but this was nowhere near as strong as the more potent Imperial IPA's that I've had before. The carbonation was decent but the malt base wasn't and this just seemed a bit overwhelming from start to finish. While not a bad choice, this was not as alluring as the Dirt Wolf or as memorable as stronger and more flavorful Imperial IPA's that I've enjoyed. A good offering from Victory that will satisfy their followers and most hopheads but just a bit lacking when it came to the lasting factor.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

The aroma is fantastic. Really citrusy smell. The taste was a big let down after the wonderful smell of the beer. The bottle also had large particles floating in the bottom. Pretty disgusting looking. I drank it anyway. Decent IPA but the taste just doesn't live up to the aroma.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was all over the place. The look was a clear yellow pilsner/lager with a white head that dissipated quickly. I could not find hops on the nose. the smell of a bitter lager was present. The taste was sweet and more lager than hoppy, that being said, I did like it quite a bit. Feel was smooth. Beer is a very good beer, but hard for me to find the IPA elements that I would look for.

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown