Follow our progress ...

Moving Parts 01Moving Parts 01

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American IPA

We like to mix it up. New flavors, new ideas, new ingredients; we welcome them all. In celebration of our penchant for prolific experimentation, we present Moving Parts: The Ever Evolving IPA. Each release in this series celebrates a tweaked ingredient or two, creating an endless array of possible flavor profiles.

For our first batch (codenamed MP01), we blended whole-flower hops from the US, UK and Germany with German malts to create an IPA featuring citrus and piney notes. For us, Moving Parts are a good thing!

Added by jsh420 on 03-29-2014

Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 314
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The bottles description says they “blended whole-flower hops from the US, UK, and Germany with German malts to create an IPA featuring citrus and piney notes”. Moving Parts 01 pours into my big ol’ Aventinus glass with a pale copper body slightly off white head, great retention and lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma has earthy dank layers of whole leaf hops, a mild citrus fruit accent but it’s those almost dirty earthy hops really coming through probably a British hop note I’m getting. Very herbal, lemongrass like as I continue to smell…nice perceived sweetness from the bready malts but it’s a pleasant smelling brew thus far especially priced under 5 bucks for a bomber.

Flavors include a waves of apricot fruity character, bitter citrus pith, herbal dank hops, earthy dirt in the back end with a lingering bitterness almost imitates the anise in a strong flavored pitsella with bright complex German malt liquid bread factor comes into play…all I can say is that I have to get more of this beer. Complex with hop nuances, herbal, fresh wild flowers, herbaceous dank weed, earthy/dirt, citrus peel, and lemongrass…it’s a trip and worth every penny a value IPA that’s packing the hops in there. Thank God for Bill Covaleski and Ron Barchet (? Spelling) two stand up brewers who have created quite an amazing brewing empire!!!

Mouthfeel rich luscious malt body hop oils shine through the whole flower hops do so much for the beer, it should be a trend everyone goes toward…I’m so tired of pelletized hopped beers tasting like my early homebrews…these guys figured it out get those quality ingredients from the brewing regions known for their malt aka Germany and three very different hop traditions the US, UK, and Deutschland!! Moving Parts 01 delivers a velvet smooth textured carbonation medium to full bodied presentation with resinous hop oils gripping to the palate allowing a beautiful lingering hop bitterness.

Overall I’m going to close this review with the fact that we as US consumers, beer drinkers, and beeradvocates are simply spoiled when it comes to variety and depth of good beer available. This 22 ounce bottle should never cost 4 dollars and change, but damn I’m I glad that it does. I’m about to call Vecenie’s Distributing out in Millvale, PA to reserve a case of this if they haven’t distributed it all out to the market yet!

1.95/5  rDev -47.2%