Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 3,654 | Reviews: 1,892
Reviews by JDizzle:
4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Great beer sad its retired

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy two finger head atop that settles nicely leaving a sheet of lace behind,big brassy hop in the aroma and quite herbal that really sticks out a touch of pineapple is there but the pine is the most noticable here.Well if you like hops this is it for you,herbal and piney with a nice underlying citrus zest a lightly sweet malt backbone appears but is small compared to the big hops.Wow the alcohol is prevalent here mainly in the finish quite zippy and stronger as the beer warms.A big flavorful IPA in your face the alcohol keeps me from wanting to drink much though.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Light orange in color and very hazy with some visible carbonation. The head came up modestly but what was there looked great and showed good retention.

Smell - The complex hops are led off by the huge pine resin. This aspect of the aroma is extremely strong. Other than Silver City's Whoop Ass IPA I can't think of anything else that I've had with this sharp of a scent.

Taste - Yes, this one is the hop monster. It tastes similar to Jack's Double Dry-Hopped IPA. The pine resin is big as Mt. Ranier and is as strong as I've had to date.

The complex nature of the ale comes out next. The balance achieved by all of these flavors is incredible. The effect is that you have these huge flavors that should kill a horse, yet they all go down smoothly. Too good for words.

Mouthfeel - This shares the exceptional balance and smoothness with its Hop Devil cousin. It is well over medium-bodied.

Drinkability - Too much hops? Never! This ale was exceptional and lived up to the hype.

Comments - Huge thanks to francisweizen for sending me a few of these bad boys.

Update - I first tried this beer in 2004 so thought I'd revisit the review in 2010. The ale has mellowed quite a bit. I don't know if they changed the recipe but its much more mainstream now. This is still a terrific beer but I've had to slightly drop a few of m ratings down a bit.

Hop Wallop pours a golden-yellow straw color into a snifter. A medium pour results in a one-finger head that recedes swiftly and leaves about 75% coverage of nearly pure-white film. I can see some fine sediment throughout the body of the beer, along with small carbonation bubbles that climb at a jogging pace. Lacing left on the glass is quite clingy and leaves big dots and curvy streaks.

I have to be honest, this aroma is really confusing me. My first thought was of a Belgian golden ale as it has a really clean, biscuit-like yeast scent. As it warms a bit, the aroma becomes more freshly floral, with some citrus notes of tangerine and faint grapefruit. Pine, grass, and resin round out the hop profile. Caramel malts nudge their way into the aroma, too, but my main impression is of floral hops and biscuit malt and yeast.

A dry biscuit and pine hop combination debuts on my palate, then a good caramel malt flavor jumps into the equation. All the while, a pairing of resin and really bitter grapefruit nibbles at the the bitter receptors of my palate. Throughout the sip, overtones of flowers, grass, and earth emerge. The flavor is well-balanced for a Double IPA and has the prototypical moisture-sucking finish of bitter hops.

The mouthfeel is essentially about the bitterness of the hops and how they bite at my palate, but the middle of the sip does have a fleeting influence of creamy caramel malt. I would say the carbonation is a little low for the style and the body is on the lighter side of medium.

This is a fairly drinkable Double IPA that has a really huge, bitter hop character. For some reason, though, everything about this beer just seemed a little muted to me, like the aromas and flavors just didn't reach their full potential. I can think of at least a handful of Double IPAs that I would pick over this one, but it is good and I will have it again.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Victory Hop Wallop... 8.5% alcohol as stated on bottle. Santa is getting a little buzz on the label... classic.

A- Pours a demanding yellow orange fluid that produces a mild but lasting head. Brew glows in light with nice hazing effect of burnt orange in sunlight with lasting lacing on glass.

S- Straight up fresh hops. Grapefruit, orange, grass, lemon and dry-hopped husk. Mild alcohol scents.

T-M- Taste is steller with a bitter bite for GOD himself! Nothing but hop oils, bitter grapefruit and fresh cut grass husk flavors. Mouthfeel is excellent with not a damn thing stopping you from drinking. Tart feel from hops sting the tongue but fall to a fresh after taste leaving me wanting more.

D- Drink as much as you can find... I will find this beer again and drink all i can find!
Bro approved. (Chasebrownyeah1)

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Light orange amber. Quite clear with a little haze. Slow moving carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Gave a nice yellowy white fluffy one finger head. Immediate lacing.

S: Big hop. Some grapefruit, some floral and pine. I was expecting a more powerful nose.

T: Pretty aggressive hop in this brew. Not that I am complaining. I had a HopSlam earlier in the evening and they are very different. The front is sweet malt influenced grapefruit and the back is more of a floral with a strong piney bite that lasts well into the aftertaste. There's a hint of soapiness but not in a bad way. It's a "no messin' around" type beer. I think it is meant to be explicit in it's delivery of hopness. Pretty darned good in my book! The alcohol is pretty well masked. It sneaks in here and there.

M: The light side of medium bodied. The bite and medium carbonation deliver a nice thirst quenching dry crispness.
D: I like this beer a great deal. I think it's a great way of getting your hop fix on. If you don't like an aggressive hop bite, this may not be the one for you. I'd be happy to recommend it and pick it up again.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Pale gold in color with small white head quickly diminishing to a white ring. Great lacing.

S: Huge floral citrus hop aroma.

T: Initial taste on the tongue is light of pale malt and then - WHAM! There is a sudden burst of sharp and pleasantly bitter hops that just keeps rolling well past the finish. As the bitterness fades in the finish that pale malt hint of sweetness resurfaces.

M&D: Light to moderate mouthfeel with moderate carbonation that goes great with the sharp hop bite. Despite the robust flavor the brew goes down quite smoothly with a relatively clean tight finish. Nice.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle poured in a Duvel tulip

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a nice creamy head that settles quite quickly

Smell - Incredibly citrusy piney aroma. Subtle hints of lemon as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - This beer is all about the hops. Medium bodied brew, with a malt backbone that is always masked by the hops. It's hard to recognize much else in the taste other than the huge citrus piney blast from the hops. Citrus flavor lingers around even in the aftertaste. Excellent.

One excellent double IPA....Hop Wallop is an great example of the style.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

I found this to be an excellent IIPA. It had a nice orangey gold appearance, which was slightly hazy. There were hints of grapefruit in the aroma & palate. Strong bouquet & very bitter, clan finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Although very strong & bitter, I did not find it too overpowering. I would suggest it to other fans of strong IPA's.

I can really find nothing wrong with this beer! Beautiful pour with an inviting golden color coupled with a nice white head producing a lot of lace. Great citrus and pine notes in the scent with a very clean malt in the background. Flavor was perfect for a DIPA with wonderful citrus hops and clean malt to balance everything out. A nice dry finish with great mouthfeel rounds out this winner. Go and get some now!

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours an utterly standard gold color. Fair amount of lacing. Smells hoppy, natch, mostly pine and grapefruit. Taste is the same, very hoppy, with mostly bitter grapefruit flavors dominating. Alcohol is quite present.

I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed with this beer. It's just too bitter, but not in a lipsmackingly good way. I won't be buying this one again.

I love the label though.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

My long awaited first Hop Wallop...here it goes!! Pours a shiny golden neon orange with small white head. Citrusy, fresh cut grassy hoppiness with hints of lemon, orange and grapefruit.

First sip is a nice shot of citrusy, grassy/piney hops. A swirling blend of orange and graperfruit notes dance across my palate before the biterness hits on the back. A nice caramel biscuity malt attempts to break out through the hops. Yummy.

Mouthfeel is nice with a creamy texture...but a little thin for me. I look for a bit more body in my double ipa's. Drinkability is excellent...a tasty brew that I could easily make a session out of. Thanks to blitheringidiot for the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Finally get a chance to try the loved hop wallop.

I thought I was pouring a bud light. Had to go back and check other's reviews to make sure it was supposed to be this light. Pours a straw color. Crystal clear. Thick white cap floated on top for a while then reduced leaving a thick ring of lace. Besides the color this beer looks like it is hitting the mark. I still can't get over the color...

Aroma doesn't do anything for me. I hardly get anything out of it. Has a grassy, herbalness to it. A bit of biscuit sweetness. A little floral essence.

Geez...what a difference in the flavor. Initially coats the mouth with a thick layer and a spicy burn takes over the back of the throat. Definately a new interpretation of the style for me. I like how this one isn't just another west coast wannabe DIPA. Lots of resin bitterness. Not much malt to balance really, but does come through with some sweet biscuit again. I agree with the notion of others that this is a kicked up Prima Pils. Lots of the same profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but coats the mouth well initially. Finishes a little dry. Nice and crisp overall. Ridiculously drinkable. No hint of alcohol, one-off flavor, plenty of resin bitterness, light on the stomach are all qualities making this beer super drinkable. Its just too easy to put down.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Thick bone-white head with super-pale body. Impressive how Victory got such a potent beer to be so light colored. The little story on the bottle label gives the impression that they used 3 different types of hops for this beer. Lovely floral hop smell. The taste is a powerful blast. Super bitter aftertaste, actually kind of harsh, with noticeable alcohol flavor. Thick & meaty mouthfeel. I enjoyed drinking this one bottle, but I think any more than that at one time would be pushing it.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

This well-reviewed beer was eagerly anticipated. I've enjoyed all of the Victory beers that I can get here in Maine. In a tulip glass, the beer was a clear golden color with a thick white head that left plenty of lacing. Strong floral/pine aroma. I could only taste pine, with a little bit of sweetness. Nice lingering bitterness. This was a fine beer.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Beautifully transparent golden with a nice thick white head.

S- Wonderful nose of hops that really distinguishes it from the popular west coast hops/DIPA style.

T- Nice creamy/butteriness throughout the sip and in the aftertaste. The sweetness from the malts is at the front, with a great hop finish at the end. Despite its name, this is one of the most well-balanced DIPA's that I have had.

M- Creamy mouthfeel with some carbonation.

D- Considering it is an 8.5 it is really drinkable mostly due to the creamy mouthfeel/taste and the sweet maltiness that blends well with the bitter hopiness.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hop Wallop - almost sounds like one of those "what the...?" Pennsy town names like Meshoppen, Conshohocken, Shickshinny, Shamokin... 12 oz. bottle, guy who looks like the offspring of Snuffy Smith and Gabby Hayes on a bender on the label. Pours bright gold with a fluffy head chock full of staying power.

Holy cats. Then I wash my hands and sniff again. Yep. Holy cats. Thought I had grabbed a juniper bush. Massively catty, piney, grapefruit-rind-y aroma. I get comfortable and start to sip...

Ever have a really good, sharp, spicy Gewurztraminer? One that starts out with grapefruit and apricot, maybe some pear, then gets spicy as hell? This iis the beer equivalent. The start of this beer is a-freakin'-mazing. Fruity malt (apricot, pear) with a background bitterness that *just* *keeps* *building* until it finishes with a resinous hop bite of epic proportion. 8.5%? Can't taste it. The aftertaste is like a morning grapefruit. Forget the hype, etc. - this is one impressive brew.

Many thanks to BA jackson for the bottle!

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy golden with a large creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet doughy malts and pungent resinous piney peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malts and a little citrus followed quickly by a huge hop burst - spicy, piney and resinous with a huge lingering bitterness, but just restrained enough to not be unpleasant. The sweetness helps balance the bitterness just enough. The alcohol is well-hidden and sneaks up on you. The mouthfeel is medium, lightly carbonated and slightly watery.

Overall, an excellent DIPA! A good bang for the buck as well at $11 per 6 pack.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

From the tap it poured out clear with no carbination showing, beautifully ambered with no head. Even giving it a major swirling you maybe get a teensy bit of white dusting that appears. Barely any carbination in the mouthfeel, which I love. Just can feel it when you let it sit on your tongue for a moment, but barely feel it for a quick sip. Nice. Can't really smell anything from it -may be because the location seemed a bit smokey, or because we just climbed a wall of a hill to sit down to this pint and there was still some frostbite going on.... Just some hoppiness floating out, but not extreme. Maybe this batch was getting towards it's end, seemed to be getting more mellow than the last I had... the hoppiness is there, but not bitey or intense, just mellow. Nice and smooth feeling, not really creamy, but it feels good and flowing. This is a good, easy drinker with such pleasant tastes and feeling to it. Excellent session beer for anytime of the year, easy one to kill a huge volume of!

Had this one during our mini pub crawl in Manyunk on one of the colder nights... First beer in the Ugly Moose. The Blitheringidiot told JerseyDevil and I about this cool bar, "just up the hill".... If you are ever out with him and hear those words, RUN. Run as fast as you can in the other direction, -preferably not up the very, very cold steep hills of Manyunk!

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Liquor store was just unloading their first shipment of the year of fresh Hop Wallop. I have been waiting for it since I enjoyed last year's offering a lot.

Pours a crystal-clear pale golden color with a decent creamy head that sticks around and leaves great, chunky lacing behind on the glass.

Aroma is HUGE on piney hops! Some citrusy notes are picked up as well, other than that not much, maybe a tad bit of malt peaking through. Hops completely dominate.

Taste is just...Holy Frickin' HOPS! Immense piney, aspirin-y, resiny hops all over the place. Total domination of the hops here. Very crisp. Ridiculously unbalanced. Reminds me of Ruination how it is completely offensive and cripples the palate. The malt really doesn't stick up for itself in this beer match. It has a short showing immediately up front but then is totally crushed by the hops. I guess that's why it's called Hop Wallop.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery but seems to round out a bit when it warms a tad, well carbonated.

Drinkable? Not really. It's just too unbalanced in my opinion. It is a really offensive beer. I am a huge hophead and even this is a bit much. A good beer to embelish in the hops once in a while and most certainly should be your last drink of the night due to it's absolute palate crushing capabilities. I probably wont be tasting right for the next 48 hours. I tend to wonder how this beer would be after sitting for a few months, as I had enjoyed last years. Or maybe this years recipe is tweaked with even MORE hops? Or maybe I just have amnesia and don't remember it being this unbalanced and offensive.

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a murky golden color with a half finger white head that has good retention. Aroma is pleasant citrusy hops and sweet malts. Taste is typical DIPA with nice balance of earty hops, citrus hops, and pleasant sweet malts. Mouthfeel is very nice. Very drinkable DIPA and one I would buy regularly if available in my area.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Absolutely amazing! The lace from the cask pour and the insane amount of hops was leaving thick rings all the way down the glass. Sweet pine and spice aroma, fruity esters and a mild higher alcohol in the nose. So smooth on the palate with a biting hoppiness with a continuation of that with the alcohol in the finish. Every time the malt wanted to break through the hops beat it back down. The alcohol was a bit too much though this is thoroughly a sipping beer to begin with @ 8.5% abv.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Clear, golden color, half inch to one inch off white head that receded pretty quickly leaving some patches fluffy foam and lacing.

S- Floral and earthy hops, grainy but with some citrus and other fruit

T- Bold and bitter, not much in the way of a malt to balance

M- medium body, lots of carbonation

D- Packs a punch of hops and leaves a long bitter aftertaste

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a slightly hazed, goldenrod yellow body with a lasting, one centimeter offwhite head. Generous deposits of patch lace are all over the glass. Good looking Double IPA.
Grapefruit fronts a vivid hops presence that has some grassy notes to back up the assertive citrus.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with active carbonation and a mild hops sting on the tongue.
Taste has a caramel malt backbone that is a cameo player here. Bitter citrusrind, grassy and pine notes are centerstage, with grapefruit hoppiness in the lead role. Dry and bitter hops finish and citrusy aftertaste. Alcohol is cleverly concealed.
A good wallop of hops in this one. Well constructed, and very enjoyable Double IPA here. Quite sessionable. Thanks to mtnlover for bringing this bottle by.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

to view more.