Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,894 | Hads: 3,674
Reviews by bosox941827:
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

A - Quite a light orange, much lighter than expected and quite cloudy due to being unfiltered. If not hazy, but clear instead, might be the color of a dark (quality) pils....
S - Some hops on the nose, especially right off the pour, but malty sweetness takes over after head dissipates.
T & M - Very interesting. Victory's website doesn't say what hops are used in this beer, but that pils color I indicate above may be indicative, as to me, this tastes like a very strong European pils (Urquell?), particularly on the finish. There is a substantive amount of malt here of course, but b/c of lack of roasted malts (explaining the lighter color) the malt *flavor* is less prominent than in other Imperial IPAs I've had, and the hops more prominent. Alcohol raises its end only at the very end of the palate, especially after warming up. Dry hoppiness lingers on the tongue for a *long* time. Carbonation is right on for the style - nice and low.
D - Very. 'Nuff said.

This is a great effort from Victory, who usually makes a great product.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Great beer sad its retired

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy two finger head atop that settles nicely leaving a sheet of lace behind,big brassy hop in the aroma and quite herbal that really sticks out a touch of pineapple is there but the pine is the most noticable here.Well if you like hops this is it for you,herbal and piney with a nice underlying citrus zest a lightly sweet malt backbone appears but is small compared to the big hops.Wow the alcohol is prevalent here mainly in the finish quite zippy and stronger as the beer warms.A big flavorful IPA in your face the alcohol keeps me from wanting to drink much though.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - Light orange in color and very hazy with some visible carbonation. The head came up modestly but what was there looked great and showed good retention.

Smell - The complex hops are led off by the huge pine resin. This aspect of the aroma is extremely strong. Other than Silver City's Whoop Ass IPA I can't think of anything else that I've had with this sharp of a scent.

Taste - Yes, this one is the hop monster. It tastes similar to Jack's Double Dry-Hopped IPA. The pine resin is big as Mt. Ranier and is as strong as I've had to date.

The complex nature of the ale comes out next. The balance achieved by all of these flavors is incredible. The effect is that you have these huge flavors that should kill a horse, yet they all go down smoothly. Too good for words.

Mouthfeel - This shares the exceptional balance and smoothness with its Hop Devil cousin. It is well over medium-bodied.

Drinkability - Too much hops? Never! This ale was exceptional and lived up to the hype.

Comments - Huge thanks to francisweizen for sending me a few of these bad boys.

Update - I first tried this beer in 2004 so thought I'd revisit the review in 2010. The ale has mellowed quite a bit. I don't know if they changed the recipe but its much more mainstream now. This is still a terrific beer but I've had to slightly drop a few of m ratings down a bit.

Hop Wallop pours a golden-yellow straw color into a snifter. A medium pour results in a one-finger head that recedes swiftly and leaves about 75% coverage of nearly pure-white film. I can see some fine sediment throughout the body of the beer, along with small carbonation bubbles that climb at a jogging pace. Lacing left on the glass is quite clingy and leaves big dots and curvy streaks.

I have to be honest, this aroma is really confusing me. My first thought was of a Belgian golden ale as it has a really clean, biscuit-like yeast scent. As it warms a bit, the aroma becomes more freshly floral, with some citrus notes of tangerine and faint grapefruit. Pine, grass, and resin round out the hop profile. Caramel malts nudge their way into the aroma, too, but my main impression is of floral hops and biscuit malt and yeast.

A dry biscuit and pine hop combination debuts on my palate, then a good caramel malt flavor jumps into the equation. All the while, a pairing of resin and really bitter grapefruit nibbles at the the bitter receptors of my palate. Throughout the sip, overtones of flowers, grass, and earth emerge. The flavor is well-balanced for a Double IPA and has the prototypical moisture-sucking finish of bitter hops.

The mouthfeel is essentially about the bitterness of the hops and how they bite at my palate, but the middle of the sip does have a fleeting influence of creamy caramel malt. I would say the carbonation is a little low for the style and the body is on the lighter side of medium.

This is a fairly drinkable Double IPA that has a really huge, bitter hop character. For some reason, though, everything about this beer just seemed a little muted to me, like the aromas and flavors just didn't reach their full potential. I can think of at least a handful of Double IPAs that I would pick over this one, but it is good and I will have it again.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Victory Hop Wallop... 8.5% alcohol as stated on bottle. Santa is getting a little buzz on the label... classic.

A- Pours a demanding yellow orange fluid that produces a mild but lasting head. Brew glows in light with nice hazing effect of burnt orange in sunlight with lasting lacing on glass.

S- Straight up fresh hops. Grapefruit, orange, grass, lemon and dry-hopped husk. Mild alcohol scents.

T-M- Taste is steller with a bitter bite for GOD himself! Nothing but hop oils, bitter grapefruit and fresh cut grass husk flavors. Mouthfeel is excellent with not a damn thing stopping you from drinking. Tart feel from hops sting the tongue but fall to a fresh after taste leaving me wanting more.

D- Drink as much as you can find... I will find this beer again and drink all i can find!
Bro approved. (Chasebrownyeah1)

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Light orange amber. Quite clear with a little haze. Slow moving carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Gave a nice yellowy white fluffy one finger head. Immediate lacing.

S: Big hop. Some grapefruit, some floral and pine. I was expecting a more powerful nose.

T: Pretty aggressive hop in this brew. Not that I am complaining. I had a HopSlam earlier in the evening and they are very different. The front is sweet malt influenced grapefruit and the back is more of a floral with a strong piney bite that lasts well into the aftertaste. There's a hint of soapiness but not in a bad way. It's a "no messin' around" type beer. I think it is meant to be explicit in it's delivery of hopness. Pretty darned good in my book! The alcohol is pretty well masked. It sneaks in here and there.

M: The light side of medium bodied. The bite and medium carbonation deliver a nice thirst quenching dry crispness.
D: I like this beer a great deal. I think it's a great way of getting your hop fix on. If you don't like an aggressive hop bite, this may not be the one for you. I'd be happy to recommend it and pick it up again.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Pale gold in color with small white head quickly diminishing to a white ring. Great lacing.

S: Huge floral citrus hop aroma.

T: Initial taste on the tongue is light of pale malt and then - WHAM! There is a sudden burst of sharp and pleasantly bitter hops that just keeps rolling well past the finish. As the bitterness fades in the finish that pale malt hint of sweetness resurfaces.

M&D: Light to moderate mouthfeel with moderate carbonation that goes great with the sharp hop bite. Despite the robust flavor the brew goes down quite smoothly with a relatively clean tight finish. Nice.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle poured in a Duvel tulip

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a nice creamy head that settles quite quickly

Smell - Incredibly citrusy piney aroma. Subtle hints of lemon as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - This beer is all about the hops. Medium bodied brew, with a malt backbone that is always masked by the hops. It's hard to recognize much else in the taste other than the huge citrus piney blast from the hops. Citrus flavor lingers around even in the aftertaste. Excellent.

One excellent double IPA....Hop Wallop is an great example of the style.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

I found this to be an excellent IIPA. It had a nice orangey gold appearance, which was slightly hazy. There were hints of grapefruit in the aroma & palate. Strong bouquet & very bitter, clan finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Although very strong & bitter, I did not find it too overpowering. I would suggest it to other fans of strong IPA's.

I can really find nothing wrong with this beer! Beautiful pour with an inviting golden color coupled with a nice white head producing a lot of lace. Great citrus and pine notes in the scent with a very clean malt in the background. Flavor was perfect for a DIPA with wonderful citrus hops and clean malt to balance everything out. A nice dry finish with great mouthfeel rounds out this winner. Go and get some now!

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours an utterly standard gold color. Fair amount of lacing. Smells hoppy, natch, mostly pine and grapefruit. Taste is the same, very hoppy, with mostly bitter grapefruit flavors dominating. Alcohol is quite present.

I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed with this beer. It's just too bitter, but not in a lipsmackingly good way. I won't be buying this one again.

I love the label though.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

My long awaited first Hop Wallop...here it goes!! Pours a shiny golden neon orange with small white head. Citrusy, fresh cut grassy hoppiness with hints of lemon, orange and grapefruit.

First sip is a nice shot of citrusy, grassy/piney hops. A swirling blend of orange and graperfruit notes dance across my palate before the biterness hits on the back. A nice caramel biscuity malt attempts to break out through the hops. Yummy.

Mouthfeel is nice with a creamy texture...but a little thin for me. I look for a bit more body in my double ipa's. Drinkability is excellent...a tasty brew that I could easily make a session out of. Thanks to blitheringidiot for the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Finally get a chance to try the loved hop wallop.

I thought I was pouring a bud light. Had to go back and check other's reviews to make sure it was supposed to be this light. Pours a straw color. Crystal clear. Thick white cap floated on top for a while then reduced leaving a thick ring of lace. Besides the color this beer looks like it is hitting the mark. I still can't get over the color...

Aroma doesn't do anything for me. I hardly get anything out of it. Has a grassy, herbalness to it. A bit of biscuit sweetness. A little floral essence.

Geez...what a difference in the flavor. Initially coats the mouth with a thick layer and a spicy burn takes over the back of the throat. Definately a new interpretation of the style for me. I like how this one isn't just another west coast wannabe DIPA. Lots of resin bitterness. Not much malt to balance really, but does come through with some sweet biscuit again. I agree with the notion of others that this is a kicked up Prima Pils. Lots of the same profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but coats the mouth well initially. Finishes a little dry. Nice and crisp overall. Ridiculously drinkable. No hint of alcohol, one-off flavor, plenty of resin bitterness, light on the stomach are all qualities making this beer super drinkable. Its just too easy to put down.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Thick bone-white head with super-pale body. Impressive how Victory got such a potent beer to be so light colored. The little story on the bottle label gives the impression that they used 3 different types of hops for this beer. Lovely floral hop smell. The taste is a powerful blast. Super bitter aftertaste, actually kind of harsh, with noticeable alcohol flavor. Thick & meaty mouthfeel. I enjoyed drinking this one bottle, but I think any more than that at one time would be pushing it.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

This well-reviewed beer was eagerly anticipated. I've enjoyed all of the Victory beers that I can get here in Maine. In a tulip glass, the beer was a clear golden color with a thick white head that left plenty of lacing. Strong floral/pine aroma. I could only taste pine, with a little bit of sweetness. Nice lingering bitterness. This was a fine beer.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company