Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 3,658
4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Pick this up from suggestions of other BAs.

Color is a yellow gold color with a light white head. The brew is well carbonated is quite clear.

Smell is a extremely deep hop smell. There is a slight malt smell in the background to level off just slightly, the hoppieness of this brew.

Taste is so full of hops it is almost blocking out the other flavors but there is also a slight pine taste. A hint of malt is in there with the wall of flavor.

Very tasty and a good beer overall. It will take an unexpected pallet to really get into the flavor. I am a big fan of hops and it was still a shock to the system.

Pick this beer up if you are ready to have your taste buds for a ride. (684 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

This is such a fine beer. I love hops and usually don't like overly sweet beers, so this beer and me, I feel were made for eachother. The smoothness, oh the smoothness... It's really incredible. Extremely creamy, chewy and yes, smooth with a solid maltiness underneath. Cloudy golden orange in color and was topped off by a layer of creamy white foam. The aroma was highly lemony, perfumey, estery. Perfect bitterness in the finish and the alcohol is completely hidden. This was a special treat, thanks Victory! (511 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Served in a nonic pint glass at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. The color was copper, with an excellent head. The smell was a nice hoppiness. The taste started off with a grapefruit blend of hops (which I have no idea how they got, but was glad they did), with a very nice piney, fruity aftertaste, and the alcohol was unnoticable...I wouldn't have believed this beer was 8.5%! Mouthfeel was just right. Drinkability-wise, I could absolutely have this one one after the other after the other...

What an amazing brew to enjoy for my 300th review. As complex an IPA as I've ever had in my life; hops that certainly delivered a nice bitterness but somehow managed to balance the beer out. This may have surpassed Ruination as my favorite IPA, and is certainly a beer I will have again in the future, hopefully as a non-seasonal!!!! (826 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

The pint I sampled was hand pumped from a cask.
A- Opaque golden amber in a pint glass. Lace was rough with lareger bubbles in the ivory/tan foam and clung to the glass pretty thickly.
S - Very fresh hops and spices on the nose - love it!
T - hops tasted fresh picked and though bitter had a soft edge to them and lasted through the finish. Couldn't taste much malt to balance, but this is so good that their presence was not missed. Hops ere very piney tasting with floral oils (i know this sounds like a smell, but I swear I tasted it!)
M - Pretty viscous but refreshing.
D - Great, though the bitter finish does stay with you for a while.
I will say that I probably enjoyed this more than itams bottled counterpart, but it was more bitter. (742 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Yee-haw!!! Gold!!! Eureka!!! No wonder the label features a old prospector-looking fellow. Alas, it seems that I tend to review mostly beers I love, so my ratings are often high, but this one gets a near-perfect rating in my book.

A: 24K, Luminescent Gold. Crystal clear. Nice two finger head with amazing lacing for something with such a high level of clarity. No chill haze whatsoever.

S: Wonderful citrusy. Outstanding display of west coast hop aroma. Can't detect any indication of the high abv (8.5%) due to the overwhelmingly pleasant bouquet of glorious American hops (wtf did they use, Cascade? Chinook?? Yakima??? Poster below says Centennial, but there must be more to it...I need to know damn it!!!).

T: Delicious light malts and a boatload of hops. This wonderful ale is not "over-hopped", however, as it is well balanced with a high abv% that is barely detectable behind the stunning hop flavor.

M: Heady and dry, with a nice, lingering hop tingle. The FG must be quite low, as it could certainly be a little bit smoother on the palate, but I really can't complain about the end result here. Doesn't burn the tongue, but stings just enough to make sure you remember it.

D: See above. I've always had trouble with this category unless dealing with a thick brew (like a porter or stout), or a brew that's total crap. I love this stuff, could drink it 'til I pass out, but that is not the goal here. It's as drinkable as possible, unless you over-do it and end up in a blacked out drunken stupor. That's personal choice, however, so I have to give it a perfect 5 for drinkability as a Strong Ale (or DIPA, or American Barleywine, or whatever they want to call it--doesn't matter to me so long as they keep making it). (1,732 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing beer that I'm finally getting around to giving a proper review. Hop Wallop is the perfect name for this beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a smallish head with lots of lacing. The appearance doesn't warn you for what you are in for. The aroma is strong of grapefuit and pine hops. Simply amazing! The taste is a hop explosion. The malts don't stand a chance here. This medium bodied beer is extremely drinkable considering the alcohol content and amount of hops. I've had many of these this winter and I've looked forward to each one. I can't wait for next winter's batch! (590 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

I couldn't wait for this guy to come out this year with my newly acquired taste for "extreme" hops, and Hop Wallop did not disappoint. Cascade hops on the nose...quality cascade. Clean, refreshing. Pours an awsome clean amber with not much of a head. Upon pouring, the nose really opens up, but the taste is what "wallops" you...but not in a bad way. Alcohol is covered nicely, and there's still balance with the malts. I love all Victory's offerings, but this one makes me wanna dry-hump the old dude on the bottle it's that good. Love, love, love this stuff!!! Way to go Victory!!! Job well done with this 2005 batch. (619 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Golden peach crystal clear color with lots of little bubbles in the glass.. Beautiful jewel (it shimmers in the glass) of a beer. Rich thick white head on the pour leaves within 5 minutes (due to abv). But there is a constant white sheen and nice lacing effect on the glass at all times. Fresh grapefruit rind and orange peel nose. Smells like you are in a citrus grove in Florida. The inital smooth sweet malt taste is quickly slammed on the tongue by a huge excuse the expression "wallop of grapefruit hop juice". If you were not a hop fan like myself you would freak.. The grapefruit sting then is mellowed in the finish with a touch of lemon and a malty smoothness comforts the abused tongue. Balence in the abuse. Medium to fuller body with a nice smooth lively mouth. Very flowery and floral upfront as well.

This brew lives up to the talk... Victory please don't change a thing, except offer it for wider distribution... It was worth my quite long drive to get it.... A very pretty, flavorful, satisfying brew. (1,021 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

(had this on cask, but have also had it on tap and out of the bottle, with near-identical results)

Pours hazy golden-orange, with a finger of white head, and excellent lacing. The smell was pink grapefruit, lemon, pine, maltiness, grass, and floral herbs. The flavor yielded all of the above in generous amounts, dissolving mid-palate to a more grassy/herbal/woodiness, and then finishing a pleasant dry bitter, with bitter/grapefruit/pine aftertaste hints. The body was medium, with subtle carbonation, even from the cask (must've been a fresh tapping). Despite the strength, the flavor beckons you for more, and before you know, it's a session. Thank the beer gods (and Victory) for making this a year-round offering. (720 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a hazy golden orange-amber with particles floating around, topped with a two finger creamy off-white head, leaves webs of lace.
Apricot and citrus aroma, full of juicy pink grapefruit, spruce tree, floral.
Very hoppy taste, hitting just about all the notes, citrus, floral, earthy, caramel and nutty notes as well. A bit peppery from the alcohol.
Medium feel, a bit oily.
Goes down smooth and quickly, I could probably go through a sixer if I had one. The bitter fruit-pit aftertaste sticks with you. (510 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a clear golden amber-yellow. The hop smell wallops the nose with a sweet, citrus scent.

There wasn't much of a head but the lacing stayed around.

The taste is amazing - somewhat sweet, bitter, hoppy with grapefruit, citrus, and pine. With an ABV of 8.5%, it was surprisingly smooth and not overpowering.

I purchased a case of Hop Devil after this (it was $10 cheaper) and after that case, went back to get the Hop Wallop. I'm hooked. (443 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Appearance: Amber color with crazy head and ridiculous retention that rapes my glass.

Smell is of fresh hops that are flowery and citrusy. I just beergasmed. Don't read this review, go and drink it and see for yourself!!!

Taste: sweetness from pale malts and some mild caramel malts with a fresh hop bitterness to balance. This is what fresh hop beers are all about. The flowery hop flavor is beergasmtastic. I wish fresh hop ales were available year round. It's not fair!!!

Mouthfeel is full and crips and refreshing. Could be a little bit fuller, but it is still very good.

I could drink this forever. I want this beer forever and forever. Why are you reading my review?!?!? Go drink this beer already.

HOP HARVEST ALES MAKE ME BEERGASM. (744 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%

The first time I had this, I didn't really care for it... and I still drank the full sixer. That should tell you a bit (either about the beer, or my unwillingness to give away beer I don't like).
That being said, I decided to be a bit more objective. I love this style, and wanted to give this beer a fair shake. After all, how many bad beers have you ever heard of coming from Victory?
Poured a nice clear honey color into my pint glass. Nice 1 inch head that quickly disappeared, but left a good sticky lacing down the side of my glass.
The six-pak holder claims this to be "A very hoppy beer" with contents of "hops, hops, and more hops". One sniff into my glass, and the miner guy was smacking my in the face saying "I told you sonny!" Very hoppy beer... no shite. I got nothing but hops from the aroma.
Let's try tasting this again... high puckering bitterness and hop flavor. Almost like drinking diluted grapefruit juice. Slightly piney (actually more like spruce). The first time I tried this was like drinking spruce sap (and I have). Luckily, this time that taste was not present so much. I enjoy a good hop-alicious beer every now and then. I wish this were a year round offering. I wondered if they used any malts at all, then midglass, the hops settled down, and I got a little malt and pseudo honey backdrop to the hop craziness. Does the label really say 8.5% ABV?, because I can't taste it at all.
Carbonation was perhaps a bit understated. I found no alcohol in either the flavor or mouthfeel. That's dangerous for this beer, especially if you enjoy an in your face hop bomb such as this. Must... force... myself... not... to... drink... entire... six... pack...at... once. The only thing I could recommend to a hophead that would be close it to actually chew on an ounce of hops... like Chinook . (1,819 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Significantly hazy rich golden amber with just the barest hint of orange. The head is cream in color, large and stickyfirm. It persists for a very long time, eventually falls to a thick disk and leaves chunky lace in no discernible pattern.

Hop Wallop smells incredible! It's chock full of wall-to-wall citrusy hops that are more tropical than is usual for the style. This beer has one of the best noses (top 3 at least) of any of my 125 reviews. Candied lemon peel, grapefruit and passion fruit burst out of the glass and bowl me over with their magnificence. I just know that the flavor is going to be out of this world as well...

...and it is. This is the closest--along with Ruination--to pure hop juice in a glass that I've ever had. Make no mistake, that's a good thing. This baby is one big, bold, intensely hopped DIPA, yet the bitterness is well supported. The IBUs must be off the charts, yet there's not a sharp edge in sight; nothing but pure, clean, intense hoppy goodness.

The hops are of the pungeant, piney, citrus fruity (grapefruit and orange) variety. Right up my alley in other words. The body/mouthfeel is impressively big as well. It's full, chewy, sticky, sappy and sweet; the better to hold the beer in close contact with my tastebuds all the way to and through a long, lingering, seemingly never-ending finish.

This is a beer to savor. It just begs to be drunk though and the bottom of the glass is fast approaching despite my best efforts to make it last. The hype surrounding HW was greater than anything that I've ever seen in my (still somewhat limited) time on this site. I bought into that hype since I love IPAs and I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to acquire this beer. Believe me, it was worth it. If you love hops, you must get ahold of Hop Wallop.

I owe a special debt of gratitude to gueuzegeek who provided me with this (my original) bottle. I also want to thank Dantes who made it possible for three more to find their way into my possession. It'll be tough making them last until fall when I hope to buy this hop nectar by the case. "Hoppiness is happiness". (2,127 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Hop Wallop is a very clear light gold with an off-white head. There's very little carbonation visible and the head eventually falls into a film and leaves a bit of lace.

The smell on this beer is amazing. There's a ton of hops. Citrus and pine scents dominate the nose. There's just a touch of a tropical twang ... mango or something close to it.

One sip of this beer and I'm hooked. If you want a hop bomb, this is it, start to finish. The lingering aftertaste is one of the best I've experienced. There's a bit of hop taste that comes up after each sip accompanied by an intense bitterness. It's flat out awesome.

Mouthfeel on this beer is also great. There's a sticky/syrupy character to it that I really love in a DIPA. Carbonation is just right.

Victory hit this one out of the park. Not only is this an awesome beer, but it's available year round AND it's only $10 for a 6 pack. This is going to become a regular in my fridge. (984 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured a crisp straw yellow with a decent slowly diminishing head, lots of bubbles visible rising to the top. Aroma was a nice punch of citrus hops. Taste is a wonderful amount of citrus hops with just enough pale malt to provide a solid backbone. A hophead's delight. The beer has a good level of carbonation and the alcohol is well hidden. This is one of my favorite beers, I wish it was available all year, however, I understand how the fresh hops are what makes it so great. (478 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

Big expectations for this one. I got to the brewery and they had sold out of the cases in less than 24 hours. Fortunately, the taps were still flowing. It made me look had the next day for some in bottles. My wife was calling around and found the distributor in Phoenixville had one case left. MINE! Deep golden color to the beer, with minimal head. The aroma hits you hard: Hops, Hops, Hops. From the bottle, it almost smelled as if I had opened a bag of hops from my homebrew stuff. They have a somewhat piney aroma, along with some citrus notes. The first sip duplicates the nose: Hops, Hops, Hops. They are quite strong, but very well balanced. They have a wonderful flavor. This beer is incredibly drinkable. They have invested some time with the artwork on the cases. Could this batch be a test run for future production? We can only hope.

I e-mailed Victory to tell them how much I enjoyed the beer. Bill alluded to the fact that we will be seeing this again near next Xmas. They need to make a lot this time! (1,020 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

There's definitely alot of hype behind this brew, I found myself very fortunate to obtain a case of this beauty after there being somewhat of a shortage in the Pittsburgh beer market. Tasted my first bottle at D's sixpack, then I moved on to seek it out on draft at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse where I learned it wouldn't be tapped until the next day. Now let's take a look at this brew what does it do for me and how does it compare to the other bigger IPAs out there. Appearance: Amber with tiny hop particles spread throughout in a suspension like fashion forms a two finger depth head which lasts for quite some time when it does dwindle beautiful even bands of lacing nice. Aroma: Amazing blend of pine cone scented hops with citrusy grapefruit in nature hop dosage a candy like sweet finish to the nose this is nice I am loving it. Taste: Hops are there and in number they do give a burst of hops, but the great part about this beer is that it doesn't overdo it remains hoppy as all hell but allows different flavors to come and share the stage first off grapefruit sweetness is there with a sugary sensation that is straight up unique and tasty. I feel like I am partial to Victory but this one does live up to the load of hype that came with it, for me this is one of my favorite IPAs available today second to maybe only 3F's Dreadnaught IPA which has shown me the light not to overlook any small micro out there. Mouthfeel: Sticky texture to this medium body hop resin filled glass of ambrosia it's true "hoppiness is happiness". Drinkability: Amazingly easy to consume I can't picture this beer being 8.5% abv it just doesn't seem that way to me. Can't wait to get a taste of this one on draft I'm sure it will deliver on every level as well, and then maybe more so. (1,775 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Love the bearded old guy on the bottle. Pours a beautiful white head, chunky, good lacing. Smell is incredible - perfect floral aroma. Taste is exquisite - good malt with very strong hops but well done - not overly acidic or bitter. It's like liquid hop aroma with all malt in the taste. I don't know how they did this. Gravity, small & soft bubble, & stickiness all come together on this one for the mouthfeel. Just beautiful.

This one's a classic. I should drink more of it. One of the best IPAs in existence. (513 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

another great Victory Brew.
Poured a slightly copper yellow with a half inch head that fizzled down quickly.
Smell was all hops nice grapfruit citrus smell.
taste was smooth and citrusy up front with a nice dry hoppy finish
excellent brew and dangerously drinkable as far as the alcohol being masked. its very hoppy and hard to drink more then two of thesee in one sitting though (384 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

This is what a hoppy beer should be - hops, water, beer flavor.

If you've ever taken the tour of Victory's brewery or read the details of their basic brewing practices on the website, you'll know that Victory uses whole-flower hops. Victory is a grand master at hopping beer.

Exceedingly more than any other beer I've had - this brew exudes the absolute essence of whole-flower hops (or, at least, the variety(ies) they employ in it) in every facet - aroma, flavor, even texture.

Stick your face in a sack of hop flowers and inhale (in the manner of President Skroob from the can of Perri-Air in Spaceballs) - that's the aroma. Hops, not air.

Hop Wallop reflects a sunburnt, light-gold color. The head and lacing are: sticky, cottony, gritty, lip-smacking. The oils are choice.

Tastes like liquid solid hop flowers. Soft bready backbone. Can't detect a heck of a lot of alcohol. Oh, heavens, can you gulp this with wicked fervor. Or you can simply drink it and calmly relish every nanosecond.

You like real hops? You're a fool not to try this. (1,049 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

A-light copper to deep straw for color, 2 fingers of fluffy white head hold expertly, soapy lace rings line the glass

S- floral and citric, with sweetbread malts...mellow but pleasing

T- great balance, honey sweetened bready malt makes a pleasing backbone (and great aftertaste) for hops which taste of citrus rind and have spicy hints

M- smooth until the hops make their presence felt

D- one of the best, if not the best, double IPA's i've ever had, truly an amazing brew, try this immediately!!!! (502 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Holy Hops, Batman! This is easily one of the three most hopped beers I've ever had, living up to its name and then some. Hop Wallop is a slap upside the head DIPA, an incredible beer. Trying this for the first time at the outstanding Pizza Plant on Transit, I was totally impressed with it. It pours a medium amber-golden body, with two finger of white froth capping the 10 oz. glass, while amply lacing the glass as it proceeds. The smell and taste are a full-frontal hopped-up assault on the olfactory, with the taste also bringing subtle but present fruit--some grapefruit, orange, and lemon. The hops coat the tongue afterward, making this a highly drinkable DIPA.

Just dynamite! (684 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours light amber with an inch of white foam. Minimal lace.

Nice huge hoppy smell, but typical cascade citrus. Some "rarer" hops would have been perfect. Rich malty backbone and some alcohol in the nose.

The flavor of this beer way outdoes the smell. Wow! The citrus hops are there, but also some smooth raisiny caramel. Very good. Slight alcohol burn. Leaves a spicy burn long after the swallow.

Smooth, round and full mouthfeel. Very dangerously and expensively drinkable. (483 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Pours a very clear, golden copper with a thick, creamy white head that coats the glass on the way down.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aromas combined with some spicy and light floral hop aromas. After a while, a very subtle and gentle malt aroma began to show through; think pink grapefruit drizzled with honey. Exactly what something called "Hop Wallop" should smell like.

Taste: Right off, you're punched in the mouth by spicy, almost peppery hops and a bag of juicy pink grapefruits. That's followed by a beautifully subtle honey-sweet malt flavor, that combined with the pink grapefruit flavors is a knock-out. From there, you're left with a seriously solid bitter finish that coats the back of your mouth and throat and just begs you to take another drink. Near the end of the glass, the spicy part of the profile really stars to burn the crap out of your tongue and throat. Wicked stuff. So far, it's best in the bottle.

Mouth: The immediate feel is bright and crisp but within seconds of it touching your tongue, it becomes creamy, velvety and smooth. Perfect mouthfeel. If you take the time to enjoy this as you should, the high ABV isn't really detected until three quarters of the way through the glass, when a slight warming can be felt at the finish. If you drink it fast, you'd never realize the high ABV until you were finished.

Drinkability: This stuff is so good that you want one after another, even if it's a bad idea. I've been drinking it since it's been released and I can't seem to get enough of it. Seek it out while it's here (should be easier this time around).

Sidenote: I reviewed Hop Wallop on tap and gave it a lesser score; looking back, environmental interference was probably the reason - it's still amazing even with lots of sensory interference. To taste it's subtleties, it's probably best enjoyed in a quiet, peaceful, smoke-free environment. It's damn amazing. (1,917 characters)

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company