2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,539 | Reviews: 1,889 | Show All Ratings:
jswigart

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%

I am flat-out disappointed by this beer. I am normally a fan of Victory Brewing (Storm King is one of my favorite beers) and I am normally a fan of really hoppy beers (Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA comes to mind, even Hop Devil from Victory)... So I expected that I would really like this... So much so, I bought a whole keg... Oops. Bottom line? The things that I think of when I drink this beer are grapefruits (citrus), multi-vitamins (herbs) and alcohol. I know this is supposed to be hoppy, but to me, the beer is out of balance... Like the brewer, like the style, don't like the beer.

01-05-2007 03:12:04 | More by jswigart
AleWatcher

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%

Blind bomber #6 -- reviewed from notes.
This beer was reviewed without any knowledge of the beer, brewery, or even the style.

Poured this into a snifter.

A bright, hazy golden color with a 3 finger white head. I'm thinking Saison...
The head settles to a frothy cap, leaving some rings and spots of lacing behind.

Hmm... certainly some booze to this beer! Maybe 9 to 10%? Big bitterness in this too-- so Saison seems to be out... Hints of pine and pineapple and grapefruit... So an IPA? DIPA? The fruit notes seem muted and faded... The smell is really weak.

A light faint malt is up front, but not offering big sweetness. This is a good base to build a super hoppy DIPA from-- but those hops seem to be lacking!?

The body is medium. Decent carbonation.

The beer is decent, but not worth picking up again. The hops need to be stepped up in order for this to work-- and this isn't working right now.

Rips open envelope...

Victory Hop Wallop. Hmmm... I hate to say it, but this is the 4th mediocre beer I've had from Victory. I'm glancing at other reviews of this beer right now and I'm thinking this must not have been fresh! I don't know if Victory does any bottle dating (the label was ripped off the bottle as part of the BIF, so I am unsure how old or fresh this one is). This review will stand until I try a bottle that changes my opinion.

09-20-2010 01:41:43 | More by AleWatcher
crewfan16

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%

poured from a bottle to a pint glass. bottle marked "enjoy by may 3 2012"

a- poured a very slightly cloudy golden yellow color. seems a bit light in color for the style. the aggressive pour didnt yield much head, but the little that did rise up was a stark white color.

s- the smells of a DIPA are there but are light. bitter piney citrus, and just a little malty sweetness.

t- the bitter hops seem to start out mild, then build as it slides down my tongue, getting almost like pine resin towards the end. there seems to be an almost herbal quality with very little, if any malt or sweetness in the backbone

m- mouthfeel seems a bit light for the style. seems to leave a bitter, slightly metallic feel on my palate.

overall, I have had quite a few DIPAs and this one is nowhere near my favorite. I have had a few other Victory brews and they make great beer, but this one falls a bit flat. Just a bit too bitter and without backbone for me.

07-14-2011 04:06:29 | More by crewfan16
alkemy

2.73/5  rDev -33.4%

I was pretty disappointed in this beer. If your going assign the name of "Hop Wallop," then it should wallop my taste buds with hops. However, this was not the case. The scent was a very subdued pine with maybe a hint of vanilla. The taste was more of a "hop tap on the shoulder" than a wallop to the palate. I split a sixer of this with a fellow BA'er and his reaction was quite similar. There are may other Imperial IPA's I'd recommend over this one.

06-17-2009 14:58:43 | More by alkemy
QuentinCompson

2.73/5  rDev -33.4%

22 oz brown bottle from Village Market in SF Ferry Bldg, chilled in fridge @ home for about an hour.

Before getting to review, would like to say I love hops, love Imperial IPAs, so I was looking forward to trying this one. Split the bottle w/ a friend, and we both were a bit puzzled. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but my impression is quite different from the other reviews I'm seeing here. Maybe it has to do w/ the bottles journey to the West Coast, perhaps temperature change over the journey, etc.

A - Nice 2.5 finger head, fairly quick dissipation, into a slight film; crystal clear, golden pilsner look, a bit flat looking, see-through, slight bubbles

S - Skunky, almost like green bottle skunk, not really getting tons of hops in the aroma which I was expecting... Skunky, minimal hop aroma.

T-M - Yowks. Either this has a really strange hop profile or it takes a while to warm to. Not terrible, but a bit like skunk piss, with a bit of a rubber tire burn out @ the finish. Much like the aroma, just skunky. I just was not getting a fresh hop flavor here. There were definitely hops, but the skunk was more pronounced. Freshness date was 2011 also, so it couldnt have been sitting that long? Mouthfeel was fine, slight carb, nothing that stands out that much. I will say the alcohol is well hidden in all of this.

D - Neither of us wanted another. I think it was just a bad bottle from what else I am seeing here. Will try it again at another time, from a different vendor. Will update this if so...

02-25-2010 18:57:59 | More by QuentinCompson
busterthecat

2.73/5  rDev -33.4%

Bomber poured into oversized stemmed ale glass.
Bottle date: Enjoy by- june 24 2011.

A- A clear gold with slight orange hue. Good foamy head, some lacing.

S- Sweet tropical fruits (Apricot, mango, some pineapple). A doughy sweetness.

T- Hops upfront that transitions quickly to a bready/ sweet malt back bone. Rather light taste for an IIPA. balanced. More like an IPA. Might be a good transition beer for those fearful of an IIPA

M- Some bitterness lingers. Light bodied. Kinda watery. Wet.

D- No alc. After initial sips the hops real fade back into a light malt background. Kinda disappointed. After this bomber i'll need to have a double trouble to get my hop fix.

02-12-2011 01:46:03 | More by busterthecat
Traquairlover

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Slightly murky orange-ish amber. Forms a head of medium to small bubbles which dissipates pretty quickly leaving good lacing on the glass and a nice film on the surface. Light amount of carbonation bubbles of medium size. Would grade it higher if not for the hazy clarity.

S = Strong alcohol presence with an almost anti-septic smell, once you get past that it has pine with hints of citrus, not a lot of malt.

T = Lots of hops taste, mostly pine but also some lemon, maybe even a hint of lime and flowers. Lots of bitterness throughout the drink and with a long dry, bitter finish. The alcohol kick is a little too much. If you like straight bitter hops, this definitely does fits the bill. There is not nearly enough balance though, I barely even detect malt flavors. Final view is it is unbalanced and the alcohol was almost antiseptic.

M = Medium bodied, great amount of carbonation giving it a frothy silky mouthfeel. Good mouthcoating.

D = This beer is good but has limited appeal for serious hopheads who can also accept the high ABV.

11-16-2007 23:39:24 | More by Traquairlover
brantadid

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head. No lacing.

Smelled like a mass produced beer. Faint hops. Not very pungent at all.

Taste is totally different than the smell. Tons of bitter hops. Slight sweetness on the front palate followed by bitter citrus rind, and even more bitterness on the back palate. Tasted a little unbalanced.

High carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel.

I really like Victory but I wasn't impressed with this offering.

11-21-2007 03:19:50 | More by brantadid
Jwaks

Connecticut

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Serving 12oz bottle freshness date best before Oct 07

With the ignoble and unbecoming looks of a translucent pale yellow macro lager this brew pours with a very quickly dissipating dismal white head that leaves nearly no lace behind. Respectable columns of find to course bubbles welling up through the sickly yellow body is this beer's only saving grace on appearance.

Sharp aromas of acidic lemon, astringent citrus, yeast, dry grass and minerals with a metallic edge come through on the nose.

This brew comes closer to an english bitter style, or an esb such as Rogue's brutal bitter, than a DIPA. Leafy hop bitters and tons of bitter lemon zest are brutal on the palate providing a firm grip from start to finish. A bit of metallic minerals, pale malt and bitter yeast poke through on the mid palate with bitter yeast and hops taking hold on the clean finish. Grassy hops stick around to provide a fine aftertaste. Clearly, this beer lives up to it's name, but the hop flavors don't have the pulpy and juicy citrus character I crave, instead the hops come through as grassy and bitter with lots of citrus zest. Further, the hops and yeast try to pull off a solo performance without relying on malts for proper support, this leaves a nagging absence of flavor and depth.

Mouthfeel is thicker and fuller than a normal ipa with a good slick feel. This is incredibly straightforward and simple, it forfeits enough of my interest on the first to keep me from having a second.

I'm a big fan of Victory's brews but I can think of many other DIPAs that are far superior to this one including Stone Ruination, DFH 90 minute, Hercules Double IPA, Maharaja and Unearthly.

Victory? Sorry, not today and not with this brew.

02-10-2007 00:28:13 | More by Jwaks
SaCkErZ9

2.65/5  rDev -35.4%

1/10/06:
Served in an imperial pint glass from a 12oz bottle with Enjoy by Oct 18 06 date imprinted just below the beard of Horace Hop Wallop. Appearance is a medium darkness golden hue. Tons of little tiny bubbles rise to the top to keep the head in full formation. Tons of lacing is left behind. Great appearance. Downhill from there on; as if I were skiing the Super G down a slope in Switzerland downhill.

Smells just like freshly sliced South Carolina peaches. I can see the red inards of the peach as I slice it in half and nibble on the pit for a bit. Of course I am assuming this is the hops. There is a bit of a burnt tire rubber smell as well that is a turn-off. The aroma then morphs into another citrua fruit; definitely grapfruit. But I love that peach smell.

At first sample, the beer is extremely bitter. Too bitter. The beer is not balanced and the hop bitterness is too much for my buds to take. I typically like DIPA but I havent had one with this big of a hop profile yet. Not my cup of tea. I really cant taste much besides the hops. As I drink the beer more, the mouth puckering effect diminishes a bit I guess due to my body getting used to the high hop rate.

Body is a bit emaciated as well. Puckering mouthfeel that is reminiscent of lemon rinds or fresh lemon juice sucked right from an underipe lemon one receives in ones sweet tea. Not really enjoyable. I will cellar two and revisit this bad boy in one year and two years.
...

3/9/07
Well, after a year of cellaring, I thought I would give this one another go. The ratings numbers above are based on my original review and will not change with subsequent reviews.

Appearance is nearly identical with one exception: No head retention or lacing. Carbonation seems to have ceased quite a bit. A- 2.5

Aromas are mostly orange rind and grapefruit. Some slight hay characteristics but mostly citrus fruits. S- 3.5

Bitterness has certainly decreased and has become quite enjoyable. Nice hop flavor with some malt body to back. That year certainly helped tone down the hop wallop that I so despised the last go round. T- 4.0

Mouthfeel is quite perfect indeed. Nice carbonation even though the appearance seems to dictate otherwise. Medium to full bodied and very well rounded. M- 4.5

Overall impression is that this is a nice beer with a year on her. Certainly some would like that hop power as it is fresh but for me, I like it a bit older. This was certainly worth the wait. One more in the fridge for next year; lets hope she lasts. D- 4.0
Overall 3.65

01-10-2006 00:53:54 | More by SaCkErZ9
kelticblood

2.6/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured out a hazy straw yellow color almost like a wheat beer. Has nice thin bands of lacing with each sip. Other than that no real head is present. Aroma has almost a cheap skunk Budweiser type smell. First sip is pure bitterness! Overpowering bitterness that I doubt few will like unless your really into heavily hopped and real bitter beers. The bitterness hides any kind of malt or hop flavor. It is too much for me to enjoy this beer. Crisp mouthfeel and a medium body. Not highly drinkable. The high ABV is well hidden however. HOLY BITTERNESS !!! Arghhhh

02-15-2006 07:07:25 | More by kelticblood
SirDrinxAlot

Best by Jan 2010 on bottle

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a 1 finger head and some sudsy lace.

Smell was musty, grassy, straw, wheat with light citrus. Also what I would describe as a cat piss smell.

Taste was grassy, wheat and some citrus with what another reviewer said best "farmhouse, horse funk". Good bitter hops.

Not terrible but that "farmhouse, horse funk" is something I could do without. Really took away from this brew for me.

05-18-2009 02:56:17 | More by SirDrinxAlot
NODAK

Tennessee

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

The aroma is very, very hoppy. All hops. Mostly citric it seems, maybe a little piney. But very hoppy.

And the taste?? Well...it's about as guessed. Somewhat floral hops upfront, but not as heavy as anticipated. From there though, they really become powerful, with strong citric hop bitterness lasting throughout the finish and seemingly only increasing in power through the aftertaste. The aftertaste is remarkable in its staying power of the bitterness...the grapefruit bitterness lasts a very long time. If there's malt presence here, I just don't get it.

This is a seriously hoppy beer, as advertised and expected, and packs a "wallop" with the ABV. I understand that this isn't the most bitter beer on the market, but for a non-hophead like myself, it's definitely plenty bitter...especially in the aftertaste.

06-28-2009 03:45:06 | More by NODAK
Beerandboards

New Mexico

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

Bottle with DBD that looks to be sometime in 2013, but mostly illegible.

A - Color is pretty run of the mill pale gold. There are some visible floaties of some nature. Not sure what they might be.

S - Floraly hops, some citrus, lemon, some malty/bready notes. However, immediately on sniffing this, there is a soapy note, musty almost. Somewhat off putting.

T - Hmmm... Bitter lead, some malty-ness, theres the hops, lots of lemon rind, But theres that damn soapy overtone again. It just grabs my palate and dominates the flavor...

M - High carb, but not overly so. Good coat, even if its aiding that soapiness mentioned before.

O - I hope I just got a bad bottle (6 pack...). Maybe its just me, however, I had another brew right before this one, which I thought was great. I will certainly give this another chance at some point. Maybe (hopefully) this bottle is an an anomaly and the others in the six pack will be saved. Although my hopes arent high on that. Underneath the soapy weirdness, there seems to be a good beer. If this is a good representation of the brew, this ones not for me. But, I'll try it again some time, given my suspicion that I've just got a bad bottle here.

11-13-2012 01:37:59 | More by Beerandboards
Maurizio

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

Mixed dank and citrus nose. Mildly oxidized aroma. Taste is similar: a hint of oxidation, mild dank, and moderate citrus. Mildly astringent as well. Thin head, with good lacing. Mouthfeel thin-medium. No heat. I generally like Victory beers, and was pretty disappointed with this one.

03-08-2014 15:50:36 | More by Maurizio
joerodiii

2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

The beer is yellow and doesn't keep it's head, but there is some lacing down the glass. It smells of a blend of malt and mild citrus. The flavor is fairly one dimensional - hops. Unfortunately, the beer is missing the malt to back the hop flavor up. It's just a bitter, fizzy liquid.

I'm far from a hophead, but I try judge IPA's and the like fairly. This one just didn't work for me.

02-11-2009 01:21:40 | More by joerodiii
adamette

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer last night at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio. Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass.

A A little surprised to find a lager look a like in my glass with a nice head and good lacing. The body is very, very clear. 3.5

S Again, a slight surprise in that the smell was not very strong. After a few sniffs I picked up some sweet grapefruit bitterness but it was not obvious like I thought it might be. I liked the smell, though. 4.0

T Sweet malt actually hit me first and then the promised hops kick in and, well, I got walloped with them and they were so bitter that they were to the point of being acidic. This turns me off very frankly as it drives down the drinkability quite a bit. It is difficult for me to enjoy this level of bitterness. It felt as if the surface of my throat was deteriorating with this bitterness that lingered well into the aftertaste. I had to take several sips of water while trying to drink this. 2.0

M Well, huge with the bitterness, elevated ABV and even the sweet malt beginning. This time, though, I did not like the feel due to the spike of bitterness that lingered far too long. 2.5

D Again, driven down by the acid soak of hops bitterness. 2.0

Notes: I realize that the point was to have a very hoppy beer but this is too much for me. I found it to be too unbalanced.

11-08-2009 01:12:03 | More by adamette
Yesac

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -39%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. Small/medium size white bubble head that is pretty organized.

S - Big fresh hop smell and a nice malt balance presence as well. Small sourness smell at the end.

T - Whoa big spice punch up front, to much for my taste. Whatever this spice is, it's way to much. Maybe this is a bad bottle? Anyway there is also a bready/wheat taste on the finish. The 8.5% is absolutely no where to be seen, awesome job in hiding that.

M - A spice tang is left on the back of the palate, but its an overall clean feeling.

D - I hope this is a bad bottle because this is way spicy and very hard to get through the bottle.

12-11-2008 01:28:04 | More by Yesac
LukeD23

Delaware

2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours- very golden pilsner-esc color. little to no head. with a haze

Aroma - very little hop aroma for a double ipa, I get alot of grainy aroma out of this with a slight but present marijuana note. citrus peel and pine in backround. Aroma overall is very unimpressive to me. I love DIPA and this is just lacking in that huge nose I expect. I don't know how old this bottle is, no born on date.

Taste - ok hop flavor, but it tastes more like an imperial pilsner to me. Very little in the way of big west coast hop flavors.

Mouthfeel - thin and dry

Drinkability - 1 and done for me, not worth the 8+%abv

Overall - Maybe this is just an old bottle or a bad batch because I love DIPA's and IPA's of all sorts and this one is just lame. I have to believe I am missing something cause this beer is so well rated on this site....confused

01-16-2011 22:58:22 | More by LukeD23
rowingbrewer

2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a magners glass

the beer pours a nice golden color with a slight amount of haziness to it. there is a big 1-2 inch head that falls back to about 1/4 inch and statys.

the smell is a slightly fruity and mild hop aroma.

the taste is just a mild malt backbone with some hop bitterness, with no apparent hop flavor

mouthfeel is light and crisp

drinkability is lower than normal due to lack of hop character

01-17-2011 23:02:36 | More by rowingbrewer
Blybloke

2.45/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Did you ever have to chew an aspirin as a kid? Just wondering...

Pours a pale yellow with less than a finger of white head. Disappointing to say the least. The clarity is nice, but most of the other DIPAs I've tried have a more amber tone to them.

The smell is a somewhat acrid mix of alcohol and citrus - some earthy scents in there too (dirt?). This too was disappointing as I LOVE the nose on most IPAs and DIPAs. Avery's Maharaja, Bell's HopSlam, Tyranena's Hop Whore, DFH 90 Minute and Arcadia's HopMouth all have much more inviting aromas imo.

This stuff tasted like pure aspirin with a thin coating of pineapple. Bitter with little to no balance. Bitter for bitterness sake. I'm a hop lover at heart but this was too much.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style. Again the pinch of bitterness rears it's head. The carbonation was good though but the overall texture left a lot to be desired.

As far as drinkability, I couldn't have more than one of these at a sitting. It's not a drain pour as there are hints of what makes the style great, but at least for this drinker, there is way too much bitterness to fight through to get to the goods.

Overall a disappointing beer - to each his own I guess.
I'll stick to the Hop Devil and Storm King. Victory will still get my business, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this one again.

11-29-2006 15:25:52 | More by Blybloke
SacoDeToro

2.45/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured a pale straw yellow with a small white head.

The aroma didn't really have any hops in it. I was surprised that it smelled mostly of pilsner malt with some light grainy notes.

The flavor of the beer was pretty hoppy. Mostly floral hops - not the typical citrusy/resiny Pacific NW flavors. The maltiness was light and biscuity. There didn't seem to be any fruity flavors that are typical of ales.

The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation was good. This beer was remarkably dry for being 8.5 percent.

But overall this beer didn't taste like a double IPA. In fact, it had few characteristics of any American-style ale. If this were a blind taste test, I'd peg this beer for an imperial pilsner, and not a good one at that. In fact, this beer sucked. What a disappointment from the brewery that makes my favorite pilsner.

12-12-2006 05:03:51 | More by SacoDeToro
redmagik99

2.42/5  rDev -41%

OK i dont know if this is a bad bottle or what but this beer has gone horribly awry. DIPAs are normally my favorite style but this beer just doesnt make sense to me. i knew immediately from the smell that it was gonna be funky. its not oxidation. its kind of like some weird hard candy. Or the taste of advil when u let it stay in your mouth too long? Definite medicinal qualities. The alcohol is not hidden at all. The taste is just alcohol and some hops with cough medicine. Its bitter as fuck and not in a good way. im not gonna denounce victory because i know first hand that they are a more than respectable brewing company, and it may just be that i got a bad bottle, but this hop wallop was just not up to par.

12-15-2007 06:30:39 | More by redmagik99
BusyNinja

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

First of all, let me start out by writing that I AM a hop head. I count as my favorites, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Rogue's Hop Heaven. And let met add, that I almost always love Victory's products. But this one is a major disappointment.
The best thing about this brew is the bottle appearance (the cute little label) and the slightly cloudy golden appearance as it is poured. It's fizzy, but virtually no head retention. This is all hops. While I didn't expect balance, I did not expect a total lack of malt.

11-20-2006 00:35:02 | More by BusyNinja
commis

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle into a SN tulip.

Very pale. Yellow/orange with just a touch of haze. I enjoy ipa's that look like this, I dig the straw color. Makes it look crisp.
Pineapple, peach and plenty of pine. Smells a bit mild and also a bit one dimensional.I want IPA to really hit the nose hard and I can't say that this does that.
Kind of harsh in that the alcohol is very present and also the balance between bitter hops and aromatic hop is too far toward the bitter. I'm not getting the lush, fruity and floral flavors to balance the massive bittering additions.And I love huge bittering additions, they just didn't do it right. I would accuse this of not being fresh but the bottle reads: enjoy by aug 2011, so I figure unless they're dating their IPA at a year... Either way, this isn't very good or very bad.
The mouthfeel I like. Carbonation is perfect and the body is right where I think it needs to be.
Given the spot-on mouthfeel I think this had real potential for higher drinkability in a beer at more than 8%, but it's lack of huge aromas and hop flavors does more to allow the alcohol and bitterness to shine and that makes it less than enjoyable.

Won't give this another chance unless I find out that Victory dates their bottles a year out in which case this bottle is 4 months old. That would be really stupid, though.

01-11-2011 17:10:02 | More by commis